Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Removing tar spots from paintwork?

Options
  • 11-04-2010 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

While washing the car recently I have noticed tiny spots on the car's black paintwork of dirt/tar around and behind the wheel rims. they won't come off with washing.

what is the best thing for getting rid of these?
    or any links to the best methods of getting rid of these.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

dab it with a petrol on a cloth.

be sure to wash car thoroughly afterward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

pa990 wrote: »
    dab it with a petrol on a cloth.

be sure to wash car thoroughly afterward

Agreed, Done mine yesterday.

Took 2hrs but I hadn't done it in 2 years, so there was alot!

Nothing better!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭1916

WD 40, works every time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Make sure you wax the areas you treat with petrol or other solvent.
    I would rather use a Tar Remover product than petrol/WD40

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Use a clay bar,

I have used all the methods mentioned above and a clay bar is the easiest and does no damage the paint.

Hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I have used petrol with the last 30 years or so.
    Clean properly afterwards and rub some form of car polish on it afterwards to protect the paint.

Petrol never harmed any paint of mine

vectra wrote: »
    Clean properly afterwards and rub some form of car polish on it afterwards to protect the paint.

Same as above, Petrol wont damage your paint. Its the quickest method of all tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Neilw

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Use a clay bar,

I have used all the methods mentioned above and a clay bar is the easiest and does no damage the paint.

Hope that helps

It's a bit of a waste of a good clay bar removing tar with it.
    I use tardis, spray on and the tar disolves, then just wipe off.

Here it is in use on my wheels, you can see the tar start to dribble off the inside of the wheel.
    tardisMedium.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

vectra wrote: »

I remember my neighbour using brillo pads on a new car a few years ago..... Twas sum mess:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

There's spray on tar remover you can get, the best I've used was Holts. Spray it all along the bottom of the car because the tar isn't always that noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

SARASON wrote: »
    I remember my neighbour using brillo pads on a new car a few years ago..... Twas sum mess:eek:

Arrrgh!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Tardis from auto amart
    the only man for the job
    if people want to use petrol/wd40
    leave them too it .
    But tardis is for removing tar
    so why would anyone want to try petrol/wd40
    makes no sense
    like saying ah try some breast milk on your co co pops
    same thing " yeah right

Tardis from autosmart
    go to a local motor factors and go halfs on 5 litres with a mate
    lasts ages and you,ll never be annoyed by tar again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Ive got a tar remover spray, its brillant. Spray it on and leave for 2 mins and then it comes smoothly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

why would anyone want to try petrol/wd40

Because they're things that most people already have lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭cena

what about t-cut tar remover

Tardis from auto amart
    the only man for the job
    if people want to use petrol/wd40
    leave them too it .
    But tardis is for removing tar
    so why would anyone want to try petrol/wd40
    makes no sense
    like saying ah try some breast milk on your co co pops
    same thing " yeah right

Tardis from autosmart
    go to a local motor factors and go halfs on 5 litres with a mate
    lasts ages and you,ll never be annoyed by tar again

Why dont you have a look at your little can of over priced tar remover and have a look at it's ingredients, I would guess it is petroleum based in some shape or form.
    So why bother with a watered down version of petrol and use 100% petrol, its in every shed that has a lawnmower etc.
    Why on earth would you waste money on a gimmick product?
    So if they want to use an inferior product, leave them to it.

And yes I've used branded tar remover too and what a waste of time it was compared to petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If you want to remove the tar and make sure there's no damage to the paintwork while also getting the benfit of a wax, use Meguiars Bug & Tar Remover.

As mentioned above - petrol, WD40 will work as will parafin. I don't know what affects (if any) these will have on your paintwork.

Stay away from Turtle Wax tar remover, it's rubbish. You might aswell be spraying fresh cream into the car.

Whatever dissolves the tar best is the one to go for. The less you have to rub it the less chance there is of scratching the paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Why dont you have a look at your little can of over priced tar remover and have a look at it's ingredients, I would guess it is petroleum based in some shape or form.
    So why bother with a watered down version of petrol and use 100% petrol, its in every shed that has a lawnmower etc.
    Why on earth would you waste money on a gimmick product?
    So if they want to use an inferior product, leave them to it.

And yes I've used branded tar remover too and what a waste of time it was compared to petrol.

Every day of the week I see the damage petrol does to paintwork.

Every single car that comes into me has dry/flaky clearcoat below the petrol cap. Petrol does have detrimental effects on modern clearcoats. You might not see it after 2 or 3 months, but under lights (or the sun) or anytime you properly wax the car, you will notice it looks/feels different to the rest.

If you're smearing it all over the doors/bumpers etc. too - sooner or later its going to start showing.

There is no petrol in Tardis. Obviously it is a solvent - it has to be in order to work, but there is no petrol in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ingredients Tardis
    http://www.autosmart.co.uk/images/PDF%20Folder/Autosmart%20COSHH%20sheets/TARDIS%20-%20SDS10022%20-%20GBR.pdf
    Mainly
    WHITE SPIRIT
    XYLENE, similar to benzene which is an additive in petrol (actually petrol is benzin in German)

Seperate wrote: »
    Every day of the week I see the damage petrol does to paintwork.

Every single car that comes into me has dry/flaky clearcoat below the petrol cap. Petrol does have detrimental effects on modern clearcoats. You might not see it after 2 or 3 months, but under lights (or the sun) or anytime you properly wax the car, you will notice it looks/feels different to the rest.

If you're smearing it all over the doors/bumpers etc. too - sooner or later its going to start showing.

There is no petrol in Tardis. Obviously it is a solvent - it has to be in order to work, but there is no petrol in it.

Of course any chemical will stain/destroy your paint if you do not clean it off and give it some form of polish to protect it after useing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I was polishing the car the other day and tbh most of the tar spots flicked off with a push of a finger nail and the little black spot that remained polished away easily enough with normal polish.

Baby oil. Apply a few hours beforehand.

biko wrote: »
    Baby oil. Apply a few hours beforehand.

LOL
    and wait for a good gust of wind to stick every bit of dust/grit to it.. Then rub it off :eek:

Not rubbing.
    You're going to wash the car anyway - the point being the oil will soften the tar and once you start washing it's easy to get off with just a fingernail. And it's not petrol.

I see I must be very precise in explaining. I use a power wash and first wash off big dirt and the oil before putting shampoo on using a microfibre mitten. During this I can remove the tar by simply using a fingernail. If I miss anything I'll see it when waxing.

I'm not saying this is the best method but it works and there is no petrol involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

biko wrote: »
    Not rubbing.
    You're going to wash the car anyway - the point being the oil will soften the tar and once you start washing it's easy to get off with just a fingernail. And it's not petrol.

I see I must be very precise in explaining. I use a power wash and first wash off big dirt and the oil before putting shampoo on using a microfibre mitten. During this I can remove the tar by simply using a fingernail. If I miss anything I'll see it when waxing.

I'm not saying this is the best method but it works and there is no petrol involved.
    How long does it take you to wash your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

why would anyone want to try petrol/wd40

Some people are still living in Celtic tiger Ireland apparently,with the price of petrol these days id rather sue it to run my car and lawn mower not clean my car! I gave up cleaning my car with petrol,wiping my arse with 20's and filling my bath with actimel around 2006 :D

Autosmart tardis is your only man.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Cleaned my car today for the first time in a few weeks and was shocked at all the tar spots :O

It looks terrible so Im heading down tomoro getting that Tardis stuff. Dont wanna risk petrol etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Tardis is one of the best products for removing tar, but I would strongly advise people to keep in mind health and safety issues first. It is a professional strength concoction, not a diluted consumer one. Wear proper gloves and eye protection when using it. It comes in metal containers for a reason. And don't store it somewhere children or pets have access to.

How long does it take you to wash your car?
    Probably sounds like it takes ages but you only have to wax occasionally :)
    Washing, about 10 mins or so.
    With wax etc, fecking ages unfortunately... But it's a nice way to spend a sunny Sunday afternoon with the radio on.
    I have an older car that was neglected by previous owner so am trying to get it back to shape again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

thanks for the info

great to see the discussion.

as a follow-on... Whats the best thing for some small stratches on the bonnet/side panel

Advertisement