Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2010 - September

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

4 stars (good)
    tunguska wrote: »
    Any word on Turlough? I checked the results and it has him listed as 3:57!!??? That cant be right. Anyone know what the story is?

Hi Tungusta. Better answer this myself. Thats correct and lucky to make that time. I had a few problems in the last 4 weeks and only managed 15k total training in that time. I had mentally given up any chance of running fast but decided on the morning that i might try for a sub 3 effort. As Krusty said its a rock and roll marathon and it felt wrong to just jog around as i had planned.

I was hoping for a miracle. I managed 4:10 pace comfortably for 18k although with a pain in a glut. Anyway long story short by 24k both quads had seized from top down and both hip flexors had stopped flexing. I finished at 15 min mile pace for last 10k but wanted to finish to take a positive memory out of the experience. I ran at the side so as not to obstruct other runners. Unfortunately this made me the chief high fiver to the multitudes of Berlin nippers waiting with 5's up at the road side.

Anyway Im glad i finished it. Its important to get something out of a long stretch of training i guess and i havent been enjoying my running in a good while being honest. Ill take something from this: a memory i wont forget, and its not bad memory at all and getting better by the hour!

Hopefully shouldnt have a huge recovery problem so its cross country training from now on.

I have a plan to include a second daily bout of easy enjoyable exercise commuting, swimming sp., climbing whatever. Im going to try and shamelessly not bow out of this years 1000 mile challenge. Its too good a motivator. That should put me in with a shout of the half marathon world record early new year.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

T runner wrote: »
    I finished at 15 min mile pace for last 10k but wanted to finish to take a positive memory out of the experience. I ran at the side so as not to obstruct other runners. Unfortunately this made me the chief high fiver to the multitudes of Berlin nippers waiting with 5's up at the road side.

Anyway Im glad i finished it. Its important to get something out of a long stretch of training i guess and i havent been enjoying my running in a good while being honest. Ill take something from this: a memory i wont forget, and its not bad memory at all and getting better by the hour!

Hard luck T runner, that's a tough break. Good that you finished, and your description of hi5's for the final parts brought back some (good) memories of when I blew my sub3 attempt in Rotterdam- you got to experience a different kind of marathon, and interaction with the crowd. It's not always about what the watch says at the end, great that you took a positive memory from the run.

Best of luck on your return.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)
    Fair play to you T-runner, there's many who would have slinked away in those circumstances. I have one of those races two years ago, where I had to walk to the finish from half way. I've never taken the medal out of the plastic, but it means more to me than all of the rest of them put together, because of what I learned that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Well done all that ran. T runner, absolutly excellent attitude in the face of adversaty mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Hi Tungusta. Better answer this myself. Thats correct and lucky to make that time. I had a few problems in the last 4 weeks and only managed 15k total training in that time. I had mentally given up any chance of running fast but decided on the morning that i might try for a sub 3 effort. As Krusty said its a rock and roll marathon and it felt wrong to just jog around as i had planned.

I was hoping for a miracle. I managed 4:10 pace comfortably for 18k although with a pain in a glut. Anyway long story short by 24k both quads had seized from top down and both hip flexors had stopped flexing. I finished at 15 min mile pace for last 10k but wanted to finish to take a positive memory out of the experience. I ran at the side so as not to obstruct other runners. Unfortunately this made me the chief high fiver to the multitudes of Berlin nippers waiting with 5's up at the road side.

Hopefully shouldnt have a huge recovery problem so its cross country training from now on.

I have a plan to include a second daily bout of easy enjoyable exercise commuting, smiling, climbing whatever. Im going to try and shamelessly not bow out of this years 1000 mile challenge. Its too good a motivator. That should put me in with a shout of the half marathon world record early new year.:pac:

Fair play to you for finishing. I know lads who drop out of races just because their primary target time has gone, never mind knowing that you werent even gonna get into the ballpark. Pisser, you were on such good form at the National half aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Fair play for finishing the marathon, plenty off others would'nt have even started. Hopefully it won't be too long before your back out running knee deep in mud :), good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

4 stars (good)
    Is anyone else dying with a cold since Berlin..Im in ribbons..Maybe im just a softie!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    Never better. Sorry liam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    liamo123 wrote: »
    Is anyone else dying with a cold since Berlin..Im in ribbons..Maybe im just a softie!!!

Not dying but have a small bit of a cold for sure! Congratulations on your time, the cold is a small price to pay!

Btw someone wondered after the race who the 'Real' in Real Berlin Marathon was so I checked with my German friends & they're a chain of supermarkets, it's pronounced the same way as the 'Real' in Real Madrid. That's my factoid for the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

4 stars (good)
    liamo123 wrote: »

I had a bit of a sore throat for a couple of days, but nothing a disprin couldn't cope with. I guess thats what we get for running in the rain for 4+ hours (in my case :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Speaking of illness..... is anyone who ran Berlin contemplating running Dublin (apart from our pacing heroes :rolleyes:).
    Or is that just crazy talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

4 stars (good)
    eliwallach wrote: »
    Speaking of illness..... is anyone who ran Berlin contemplating running Dublin (apart from our pacing heroes :rolleyes:).

I don't think it's crazy talk at all. I ran a PB in Dublin after running Berlin in 08.
    Pfitzinger and Douglas have a plan at the back of their book for multiple marathons if you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

4 stars (good)
    i'll be doing dublin just not decided yet at what pace.went for first run tonight since berlin.following the p&d follow on programme.
    i'd have swapped having my cold to this week instead of the week before the marathon,was still on uniflu's till friday.

4 stars (good)
    The P&D program has a four mile run scheduled for today. I could only manage two, and it was painful! The multimarathon plan is really targetted at those planning a subsequent PB. I think they recommended that you stick with the recovery plan if you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

4 stars (good)
    The P&D program has a four mile run scheduled for today. I could only manage two, and it was painful! The multimarathon plan is really targetted at those planning a subsequent PB. I think they recommended that you stick with the recovery plan if you're not.

sure might as well give it a bash,worst that can happen is i'll blow up,got what i wanted in berlin so no pressure on for dublin.
    how are you going to run two in the space of a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

4 stars (good)

Im defo doing Dublin but will have 2 c how the next week or so go before deciding what way 2 run.. I did it 15 days after Chicago last year and it nearly killed me so Ive unfinished business to complete :)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

4 stars (good)
    Woddle wrote: »
    I don't think it's crazy talk at all. I ran a PB in Dublin after running Berlin in 08.
    Pfitzinger and Douglas have a plan at the back of their book for multiple marathons if you have it.

Likewise for me last year (partly based on taking Woddle's experience the previous year as my ref. point !) - I treated the Berlin run as my final LSR and began to taper from there but threw in a 15 miler about 2 weeks after the Berlin run and then did my normal taper from there. The fantastic running weather for Dublin last year certainly helped me on the day.

Had planned to do Dublin again (even though the gap between the two is only 4 weeks this year) but will be in the UK on Oct. BH weekend so that plan has been scuppered.

4 stars (good)
    psychozeb wrote: »
    sure might as well give it a bash,worst that can happen is i'll blow up,got what i wanted in berlin so no pressure on for dublin.
    how are you going to run two in the space of a week!
    There's a couple of weeks between them, and the plan is to do both at a nice handy pace. That's the plan anyway! I paced Dublin after Berlin last year too, so hopefully just more of the same. I hadn't really planned to run NY. It just kind of came about.. I might regret it later..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

but wanted to finish to take a positive memory out of the experience.

Anyway Im glad i finished it. Its important to get something out of a long stretch of training i guess...

...Ill take something from this: a memory i wont forget, and its not bad memory at all and getting better by the hour!

I can completely relate to this and the above is a really good way to sum it up.
    I ran at the side so as not to obstruct other runners. Unfortunately this made me the chief high fiver to the multitudes of Berlin nippers waiting with 5's up at the road side.

and this :D

Well done for finishing, sounds like it wasn't easy. You can really surprise yourself with your determination in a situation like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    Stumbled across a pretty cool map of the course on youtube, ah the memories :) Must admit I'm tempted to sign up for next year again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

I have a plan to include a second daily bout of easy enjoyable exercise commuting, swimming sp., climbing whatever. Im going to try and shamelessly not bow out of this years 1000 mile challenge. Its too good a motivator. That should put me in with a shout of the half marathon world record early new year.:pac:

hard luck T runner, sorry to hear that as you had put in a huge amount of work early on.....at least you didnt let it beat you, fair play for finishing!

best of luck with the recovery and next round of training, hope it becomes more enjoyable....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

4 stars (good)
    booked again for nxt year. Thanks krusty.
    Catch the mrs on a good day to gently let it slip. Didnt have to pay up front so happy days. Will tell her one of the lads booked it and I had to pay for it.;););)

3 stars (average)
    Photos and videos are available.
    In all of the videos I just seem to be consulting my new Garmin - that's novelty for you :o. At least it kept me occupied between the easy miles (5 to 18).

Krusty how did you manage to keep those shades balanced on your head for 26 miles ???:eek:

4 stars (good)
    Photos and videos are available.
    In all of the videos I just seem to be consulting my new Garmin - that's novelty for you :o. At least it kept me occupied between the easy miles (5 to 18).

Krusty how did you manage to keep those shades balanced on your head for 26 miles ???:eek:
    They're glued to the top of my head. Cheaper than an umbrella!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

4 stars (good)
    Just over a week after Berlin and have just got back in running this weekend, found it a bit tough yesterday but not to bad today. Still basking in the glory of my first sub 3 marathon.

Very happy with my run, I knew I was in good form going over but a lot can happen in the marathon, so you never know. Got home in 2:56, ran negative splits of 89 & 86. Felt very good at the end and had a strong finish, was a bit slower to half way than planned but it probably worked out for the best.

Just updated my marathon schedule today, my average mileage was around 30 p.w., definitely much lower mileage that previous attempts. Had one week over 60 but that included two long runs. Focused more on getting in the longer runs (done 5 20+ runs) and also finishing all my runs with faster miles. I also incorporated spinning twice a week into my programme.

Got Dublin at the end of the month. I was very impressed with the level of support all round the Berlin course, that is one thing that I found tough in Dublin around the 15 - 21/22 mark there is very little support.

I would definitely recommend it as a marathon to do, a nice flat course, good PB potential. Probably best to head out on the Thursday night / Friday morning and do registration on the Friday so you can relax on the saturday.

Advertisement