Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2010 - September

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Emer finished, with her fastest 2k of the race, in 4:24:08 ! Well done!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Fantastic, that's a great run for her first :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Fantastic efforts all round by the Boardsies.
    Enjoy the drinks tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Well done everyone, some great times there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done lads and ladies,great going by everyone.
    Cork now seems like a million years ago....
    I am looking forward to tackling the distance again one day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

4 stars (good)
    Hi all..just back in hotel following an amazing experience..

Was v nervous the last couple of days as Berlin was my 4th marathon in 11 months and since Bacelona ( 3.21) I had followed a proper training plan for the first time so pressure was on.. Unfortunately when Im nervous I smoke so Ive been chewing on cigarettes for last couple of days..

As I dont have a garmin ( my cheap Aldi watch does me fine), my goal today was anything better than 3.15 so I decided to split race into 3 parts..
    Ist 14 K : aiming for 1.05..Likewise for 2nd 14 k and then Ipod on music loud and push for last 14 and a bit K..

There was great excitment at start tough it was lashing down so it was a little uncomfortable being soaked before race had even started!!!The rain kept up for the entire race..

Luckily I started beside the 3.15 pacers so stayed with them til about 10k but was feeling strong so pushed on a bit..

Got to 14k in 1.02.59 and split for next 14k in 1.01.26. I couldnt believe it.. I was going alot faster then I had hoped and was still feeling fine...

At this stage I turned on the Ipod stuck the volume up high and let Puddle of Mud, Journey etc (almost forget my favourite Michael Bolton:) ) do the rest.. with about 8k to go I pushed harder and felt really strong.. Last couple of k were tough but finished in 3.04.51...Im absoulely delighted.. I would have gladly taken 3.10 before race...

Well done to all the crew..Brillant timesfor everyone.. I could'nt fine ye after race so after couple of lovely beers and a few fags ( christ I have to give them up ) headed back to the hotel ..hopefully c ye later...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Wow. Stupendous results. Well done KC, VR, Kiwi Runner, Caprica, Peckham, Emer et al. Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Congrats Liamo, Fanatstic Performance!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

4 stars (good)
    3:12:05 for me today in berlin,over the moon with it.got my qualifying time for boston and 8 minutes off my pb.happy days.well done to all who ran today.great performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Well done everyone, totally delighted for you all. Brilliant times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭aero2k

That's terrific running all round - I don't think we've had so many great performances by boardsies all in one race.
    Looking forward to the reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Seems like everybody got pretty much what they wanted, savage performances. great running all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Seems like everybody got pretty much what they wanted, savage performances. great running all
    Yep seem to have been a savage day all round well done everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Just ckecking in now, well done all, great performances all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Patdusty2010

4 stars (good)
    Hi All,

Just letting you know how I got on. I ran the race in 3 hours 32 minutes. Fairly happy seeing as it was my first marathon.....

I took 7 gels during the race, which is a lot however I needed them!!!! I found km 33-42 an absolute nightmare!! Went through some dark times during those 9km....My left knee is wrecked...

Very glad I chose Berlin for my first Marathon, cannot get over the scale of the whole event....Brilliant really. Was talking to Gareth Southgate as well, not sure what time he got though.:)

Congrats to all who ran the race,

Dusty;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well done to all, performances to be proud of. I hope yer all having a good night and its well deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done lads and lassies some great pb's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Ditto :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

4 stars (good)
    Back safe and sound in sunny Dublin with a (rather respectable :rolleyes:) marathon time in my pocket of 04:24:08. Race report here, if you're interested.

Thanks to everyone for all the good wishes!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

4 stars (good)
    Hi All,

Just letting you know how I got on. I ran the race in 3 hours 32 minutes. Fairly happy seeing as it was my first marathon.....

I took 7 gels during the race, which is a lot however I needed them!!!! I found km 33-42 an absolute nightmare!! Went through some dark times during those 9km....My left knee is wrecked...

Very glad I chose Berlin for my first Marathon, cannot get over the scale of the whole event....Brilliant really. Was talking to Gareth Southgate as well, not sure what time he got though.:)

Congrats to all who ran the race,

Dusty;)

That's impressive running for a first marathon !

I managed to take 12 mins. off last year's time to finish in a personal best of 3:41 which I'm thrilled with. Had a back op. earlier this year and really put the work in training-wise after I was allowed to get back running. On the day, the run couldn't have gone smoother for me. I guess the rain suits us Paddies more than the 20+C temps. last year !

I can tell you Gareth Southgate finished in 3:53 - we were sitting in an Italian restaurant near Wittenbergplatz (having MORE pasta !) when my pal spotted him at the next table. Ended up having a great chat with him, photographs taken, etc. Really nice guy who appears to be a genuine case of what you see is really what you get. It was his first marathon and he was doing it with 2 other Dads from his daughter's school somewhere in the UK. Couldn't resist having a jibe at him as to our surprise he was eating in an Italian place rather than going to Pizza Hut - he took it well ! When I asked him why Berlin for his first marathon, he said it was because he was more popular in Germany than England (think penalty misses !).......touché

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Patdusty2010

4 stars (good)
    Thanks Jrar,

Small world really both of us bumping into Gareth Southgate:D

Congrats on your PB, it was tough going out there.:)

I will 100% run Berlin next year....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

My race report is here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    Heading back to Ireland this evening so German holiday is almost over :(

Still in a bit of awe of the sheer scale of the marathon in Berlin, crazy number of people! Reasonably happy with the race as I got in under my target of 3:20, finished in 3:18:24 although didn't quite make the dream goal of 3:15. But will definitely try again & maybe just maybe I'll get to run one sometime where it doesn't rain from start to finish!

Nice to have met up with some of the others from here afterwards as well, thanks a lot to KC for tracking me down in the hoards by the Branderburg Gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

4 stars (good)
    well done Opus..Sorry I did'nt meet ye after race..Left my mobile phone in hotel and dispite walking around listening for familar Irish accents I could'nt find any...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    Came home in 3:48.

Happy enough with that, a >4min PB.
    But of greater significance to me was that I (unlike my previous three marathons) didn't have to take any walking break. Big breakthrough.
    My new gamin didn't help matters as I had miles programmed in, and instead of being slightly up on time (3:45 target) I was actually slightly down. When my usual cramping did start to set in at 18 miles I actually upped the pace a little, so much so that I felt reasonably good.
    The last two miles were a real struggle and I recorded times of 9:00 & 9:37. That last stretch along Unter Der Linden was v long and I thought the Brandenburg gate would never come.
    Those last 2 miles coupled with the 26.6 miles of the garmin got me home in 3:48:43 in 10790 position.
    My HR and breathing were fine throughout (HR between 143 and 153) but in the end I'm afraid it's my legs who finally said "no more".

Enjoyed a few well deserved beers with OH and VR and a good few other Irish later in The Europa centre.

PS - it never stopped raining for our three days in berlin. The city was gloomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)
    My long and windy race report.

Well done elliwalach and liamo123. Sorry we didn't get to meet up for a beer. Congrats on the respective pbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    My long and windy race report.

Well done elliwalach and liamo123. Sorry we didn't get to meet up for a beer. Congrats on the respective pbs.

I followed your instructions to the spot for post race beer, but it was chaotic. Had a beer and a curry-wurst with the OH. Couldn't hear any Irish accents.

Fantastic time my little Krustacean.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)
    eliwallach wrote: »
    I followed your instructions to the spot for post race beer, but it was chaotic. Had a beer and a curry-wurst with the OH. Couldn't hear any Irish accents.

Fantastic time my little Krustacean.
    ;)
    Lol. Even with mobile phones in hand it was very difficult to unite people. I kept pointing people to the white Erdinger umbrellas, little realizing that there were white Erdinger umbrellas scattered everywhere. Someone else can organize the piss-up in a brewery next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Pixsar

4 stars (good)
    Well first 1 over :D 4hrs 4min.. the 4 min is killing me but I'll get it next time.... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Any word on Turlough? I checked the results and it has him listed as 3:57!!??? That cant be right. Anyone know what the story is?

Advertisement