Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2010 - September

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    So who's up for meeting for a beer after the race (just outside the family re-union area)? They have dozens of food stalls selling dirty fried food, and wonderful German draught beers and big screen to watch the runners crossing the finish line. It's a great atmosphere. If everything goes according to plan, I have a couple of hours of drinking time, before friends/family arrive (when they start tucking into the beer and fried food too).

I'd be tempted by that as it's been almost two weeks since my last beer, not that I'm counting the days or anything ;)

Can't believe the event is almost here, hopefully my last session of any note (12miles at marathon pace) on Sunday goes ok now to boost my confidence for the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)
    opus wrote: »
    I'd be tempted by that as it's been almost two weeks since my last beer, not that I'm counting the days or anything ;)

Can't believe the event is almost here, hopefully my last session of any note (12miles at marathon pace) on Sunday goes ok now to boost my confidence for the thing.
    12 miles at marathon pace the week before your marathon goal? :eek:
    What plan is that from?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

4 stars (good)
    I always did 10 to give me that final confidence booster...If i wasnt pacing kk I would be doing the same thing.Krusty where is that area in relation to the showers ??

4 stars (good)
    12 miles at marathon pace the week before your marathon goal? :eek:
    What plan is that from?!

I'm guessing you don't think it's a good idea! It's from one of the Runner's World garmin-ready plans that I downloaded for my 310xt and which I've been following pretty relgiously. Final two weeks are:
    WEEK FIFTEEN

Mon 4M (approx 35 mins) easy
    Tue 1M jog, then 12 x 400m (or 90 secs) fast, with 200m (or 2-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 6M (approx 50 mins) slow <--- just did this tonight
    Thu 1M jog, then 3M (approx 20 mins) brisk, then 1M jog
    Fri Rest
    Sat 5M (approx 42 mins) easy
    Sun 12M (approx 90 mins) steady

WEEK SIXTEEN

Mon 4M (approx 35 mins) easy
    Tue 1M jog, then 8 x 400m (or 90 secs) fast, with 200m (or 2-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 4M (approx 35 mins) easy
    Thu Rest
    Fri Rest
    Sat 2M (or 15 mins) easy, in racing kit
    Sun The race

4 stars (good)
    liamo123 wrote: »
    Just after figuring out that im in Block 8 for start..Will take me ages to get past the start line... Why in Gods name did I not put down 3hrs on the application instead of 3.20!! I suppose u live and learn...

Which is block 8? In the info doc there's A-H with A being < 2:20 & H being > 4:15. 3:20 should have you in the same block as me, E which is 3:15 to 3:30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

4 stars (good)
    ah maybe im getting mixed up.. on website I clicked to Course Map and the bottom map has me all confused :confused:

Ur right Opus.. I don't know what the hell I was looking at..
    What time u hoping 4??

4 stars (good)
    You can swap at the expo. They will put a sticker over the one you have on your number. Word of advise stick to the one that you think you will achieve. You wont lose time at the start. The streets are so wide. This way vyou will run with runners that are running at the same pace.

4 stars (good)
    I'm guessing you don't think it's a good idea!
    The plan you quoted says: Sun 12M (approx 90 mins) steady
    I wouldn't have thought that 'steady' would be anything near marathon pace, but sure I'm certainly know expert (even if I pretend to be one quite often!).

VR: After the showers, head towards the steps of the government building, and walk past them to exit the marathon complex and enter the family reunion area (Big yellow signposts with each letter of the alphabet). If you walk past these, towards the Brandenburg Gate and the big screens, on the right is a nice shaded area, under a canopy of trees, within easy reach of beer and currywurst. :)

4 stars (good)
    Ur right Opus.. I don't know what the hell I was looking at..
    What time u hoping 4??

I just want to improve a bit from my first marathon in Cork so hoping to get under 3:20, where I end up remains to be seen!
    The plan you quoted says: Sun 12M (approx 90 mins) steady
    I wouldn't have thought that 'steady' would be anything near marathon pace, but sure I'm certainly know expert (even if I pretend to be one quite often!).

'Steady' is RW terminology for PMP as that's the pace in the Garmin plan for any run it calls steady. 'Brisk' is around 10 secs/km faster than PMP then. Might do it on Sat rather than Sun so that will give me an extra day's recovery time.

This is my first time following a plan so looking forward to seeing how it works out, hopefully on the good side :)

4 stars (good)
    I just want to improve a bit from my first marathon in Cork so hoping to get under 3:20, where I end up remains to be seen!

'Steady' is RW terminology for PMP as that's the pace in the Garmin plan for any run it calls steady. 'Brisk' is around 10 secs/km faster than PMP then. Might do it on Sat rather than Sun so that will give me an extra day's recovery time.

This is my first time following a plan so looking forward to seeing how it works out, hopefully on the good side :)
    Sounds like a good idea. I'll be doing something similar. Let us know how the plan works out for you (preferably over a pint!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    VR: After the showers, head towards the steps of the government building, and walk past them to exit the marathon complex and enter the family reunion area (Big yellow signposts with each letter of the alphabet). If you walk past these, towards the Brandenburg Gate and the big screens, on the right is a nice shaded area, under a canopy of trees, within easy reach of beer and currywurst. :)

It's like the message Tim Robbins gives to Morgan Freeman in the Shawshank' in relation to finding that box.;)
    If you are still there when I arrive in, I'll have a cold Berliner Kindl.

4 stars (good)
    eliwallach wrote: »
    It's like the message Tim Robbins gives to Morgan Freeman in the Shawshank' in relation to finding that box.;)
    If you are still there when I arrive in, I'll have a cold Berliner Kindl.
    Lol. Classic post!

Some of the people I'm travelling with will be aiming for 4:00-4:30 and will want to have copious amounts of alcohol and over-sized sausages themselves, so I'll be there....with your Berliner Kindl in my fist. You'd better hurry as it'll be getting warmer by the minute. :)

4 stars (good)
    Sounds like a good idea. I'll be doing something similar. Let us know how the plan works out for you (preferably over a pint!).

Sounds good to me, I've a few friends there as well so I'll suggest the rough area you mentioned to meet afterwards. Did the 19.5km at PMP (ended up going ~7secs/km faster) earlier today which felt ok, it's certainly given my confidence a bit of a boost for next w/end.

Must say I'm liking the look of the current weather forecast much more that the one that predicted 20C+!

4 stars (good)
    Sounds good to me, I've a few friends there as well so I'll suggest the rough area you mentioned to meet afterwards. Did the 19.5km at PMP (ended up going ~7secs/km faster) earlier today which felt ok, it's certainly given my confidence a bit of a boost for next w/end.

Must say I'm liking the look of the current weather forecast much more that the one that predicted 20C+!
    Thats nearly 12 seconds a miles..............If it felt ok then maybe your marathon pace is a little slow for you ?? What is your target ?

4 stars (good)
    Exactly what im thinking.. Maybe 3.10 or even faster is on the cards Opus.. Hopefully we'l b side by side on the finishing straight..

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

4 stars (good)
    hopefully i'll be around ye lads,going for sub 3:15 if it doesn't pan out will try and stick with krusty in dublin.

4 stars (good)
    psychozeb wrote: »
    hopefully i'll be around ye lads,going for sub 3:15 if it doesn't pan out will try and stick with krusty in dublin.
    ...and village runner. We can have a great chat about Berlin as we wind our way around the streets of Dublin.

4 stars (good)
    psychozeb wrote: »

Im the exact same..If Berlin goes pearshaped I'l b tracking Krusty and VR in Dublin too:)

4 stars (good)
    nearly wasn't going even though i got sorted at work,strained my stomach on wednesday at work,went for 4 mile run but only managed 3! took thursday off but was grand yesterday again,thank god.hopefully my luck will continue onto berlin.

4 stars (good)
    Im the exact same..If Berlin goes pearshaped I'l b tracking Krusty and VR in Dublin too:)

we're sounding like stalkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Am loving the participant information magazine on their website....
    If you prefer, you can drop off your own personal refreshments for the various refreshment points....nonetheless we would like to state that with the great number of individual containers it is as good as impossible to find your own items at the refreshment points

I have visions of refreshment points with people throwing bottles in all directions trying to find their own bottle!

Nice to see they provide a sponge in the race pack. Hopefully won't need it though!

Also, what's the deal with the Erdinger stand 1km from the finish. Is that just for spectators, or will I be able to finish the race carrying a beer? ;)

4 stars (good)
    Peckham wrote: »
    Am loving the participant information magazine on their website....

I have visions of refreshment points with people throwing bottles in all directions trying to find their own bottle!

Nice to see they provide a sponge in the race pack. Hopefully won't need it though!

Also, what's the deal with the Erdinger stand 1km from the finish. Is that just for spectators, or will I be able to finish the race carrying a beer? ;)
    Go to boots and buy a nice soft sponge. I put it in my shorts. Dunk it put it on face etc. Squeeze it and back in shorts. imagine rough towel v baby towel ???

By the way VR has to run 2.55 to pace 3.15 hence my target. Maybe Peckham might do it as well. Buying the 200 Carrolls on the way out for after the race for my weeks celebrating.

4 stars (good)
    Go to boots and buy a nice soft sponge. I put it in my shorts. Dunk it put it on face etc. Squeeze it and back in shorts. imagine rough towel v baby towel ???

By the way VR has to run 2.55 to pace 3.15 hence my target. Maybe Peckham might do it as well. Buying the 200 Carrolls on the way out for after the race for my weeks celebrating.

Carrolls... there horrible :)...Im getting 200 Silk Cut Purple if you fancy a nice cigarette after marathon!!

4 stars (good)
    Carrolls... there horrible :)...Im getting 200 Silk Cut Purple if you fancy a nice cigarette after marathon!!

I am dreaming about them these days. Had a couple after the all ireland. wishing it was on nxt sunday as it seems to have been posponed until the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

4 stars (good)
    I am dreaming about them these days. Had a couple after the all ireland. wishing it was on nxt sunday as it seems to have been posponed until the following week.

I'm shocked and stunned?! Running a marathon and smoking cancer sticks! Unbelievable! I thought you real runners were all healthy and clean living?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Emer911 wrote: »
    I'm shocked and stunned?! Running a marathon and smoking cancer sticks! Unbelievable! I thought you real runners were all healthy and clean living?:confused:
    Theres actually a few secret smokers around these parts. Don't know how they do it. When I smoked I cound'nt run for the bus without nearly coughing up a lung.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

4 stars (good)
    gerard65 wrote: »
    Theres actually a few secret smokers around these parts. Don't know how they do it. When I smoked I cound'nt run for the bus without nearly coughing up a lung.

Ahh it's ok Gerard. I'm not that naive ;)
    Just stirring it up. :D

4 stars (good)
    Pub suggestion for Sunday evening: http://www.weihenstephaner-berlin.de/
    It's close enough to the end of the race. It's on the main train line and right beside a train station, so accessible from almost everywhere, it has a beer garden, food, lots of different types of beers, and it's in an area with lots of other bars and beer gardens. Answers on a postcard..

4 stars (good)
    Thats nearly 12 seconds a miles..............If it felt ok then maybe your marathon pace is a little slow for you ?? What is your target ?

Plan is to run at 4:30/km for as long as possible and see how it goes, might knock a sec or two off that depending on how I'm feeling on the day.
    Exactly what im thinking.. Maybe 3.10 or even faster is on the cards Opus.. Hopefully we'l b side by side on the finishing straight..

Fingers crossed :)
    Emer911 wrote: »

Must admit I thought that as well!
    It's close enough to the end of the race. It's on the main train line and right beside a train station, so accessible from almost everywhere, it has a beer garden, food, lots of different types of beers, and it's in an area with lots of other bars and beer gardens. Answers on a postcard..

Sounds grand to me, I'll suggest it to Cork gang I'm meeting up with after the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Looks good to me.

Anyone fancy meeting up for a bite to eat on Saturday evening? I'm heading out to Berlin all by myself, and trying to avoid feeling like Alan Partridge. ;)

Advertisement