Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin 2010 - September

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

4 stars (good)
    Pub suggestion for Sunday evening: http://www.weihenstephaner-berlin.de/
    It's close enough to the end of the race. It's on the main train line and right beside a train station, so accessible from almost everywhere, it has a beer garden, food, lots of different types of beers, and it's in an area with lots of other bars and beer gardens. Answers on a postcard..

i'm staying i'd say no more than 500 metres from there,have an appartment on neue schonhauser st.nice and close,will drop in to say hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

4 stars (good)
    Pub suggestion for Sunday evening: http://www.weihenstephaner-berlin.de/
    It's close enough to the end of the race. It's on the main train line and right beside a train station, so accessible from almost everywhere, it has a beer garden, food, lots of different types of beers, and it's in an area with lots of other bars and beer gardens. Answers on a postcard..

Not for the 1st time Krusty has come up with the goods :)

Are there many hoping to attend the Expo on Friday afternoon??

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

4 stars (good)
    liamo123 wrote: »
    Not for the 1st time Krusty has come up with the goods :)

Are there many hoping to attend the Expo on Friday afternoon??

flying out thursday so might hit it that evening to avoid the big crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

4 stars (good)
    Peckham wrote: »
    Looks good to me.

Anyone fancy meeting up for a bite to eat on Saturday evening? I'm heading out to Berlin all by myself, and trying to avoid feeling like Alan Partridge. ;)

Good group of us going. Runners and non runners. Might even have a lad for you to get sub 3 with. Very welcome ot join us any time over the weekend....Us cats dont bite unless you beat me in the marathon.;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Ath36

Flying out from Dublin Friday night. Was hoping to just carry on bag to get through Berlin airport quicker. Would I be correct in saying that I cannot bring Gels in carry on luggage (liquid rules etc) ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Best of luck with the sub 3. You seem to have everything done that you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Ath36 wrote: »
    Flying out from Dublin Friday night. Was hoping to just carry on bag to get through Berlin airport quicker. Would I be correct in saying that I cannot bring Gels in carry on luggage (liquid rules etc) ?

Yes, gels would could as liquid. I'm probably on the same flight, and hoping to go hand luggage only also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)
    Just put them in your liquids plastic bag. As long as they're under 100ml they're fine. I plan to bring 5 gels in my carry-on too and they're quite large (SIS Isotonic gels) but still comfortably under the 100ml rule (60ml each), so any gels should be fine. Just skip the Lucozade sport and Powerade drinks!

What's the story with mile markers in the race? Is everything in km, or do they also have mile markers for the more imperial minded runners?

4 stars (good)
    What's the story with mile markers in the race? Is everything in km, or do they also have mile markers for the more imperial minded runners?
    Metric all the way, IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Pixsar

4 stars (good)
    Good group of us going. Runners and non runners. Might even have a lad for you to get sub 3 with. Very welcome ot join us any time over the weekend....Us cats dont bite unless you beat me in the marathon.;););)

Hey VR.. Your travelling from Waterford? We're flyin out form Galway Fri. My brother was supposed to travell with ye I think but had to wihtdraw..Have ye anybody looking for Sub 4???

Best of Luck and hope to see ye at the after show party:D

4 stars (good)
    Breakfast Run? Good or Bad Idea???

4 stars (good)
    It's supposed to be good Pixsar, but means an early start in the morning on the Saturday to get to the start line. So it depends on which you value more: the breakfast run, or a solid lie-in the day before the race.

If you're staying anywhere near the start line (west of the Tiergarten) then I'd say go for it. Otherwise, go for a run in the Tiergarten where they'll be setting up for the marathon / in-line skate race, and it'll send shivers down your spine in anticipation.

4 stars (good)
    Again good sound advice.. We're at the grand city excelsior so i'll get my bearings once we arive.. Second option sounds good too.. just tempted by the fact it finishes in the Olympic Stadium:confused:

Metric all the way, IIRC.

hhhmmm...must remember to print out metric pace band.

4 stars (good)
    Hi Pixsar, you're not too far away if I have the right place. I think you're close enough to where village runner is staying too. Handy enough for the tiergarten too, for whatever option you go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    Weather update:

I presume we can take the most recent forecast with some sense of accuracy:

Partly sunny 13C, off chance of a shower.

I'd say perfect.

I think my OH is in for a huge shock as she has no idea just how huge this thing is gonna be. She aint running but will be a casual, semi-interested spectator.

4 stars (good)
    She probably will get some surprise, particularly if she's around the Brandenburg gate, where there's a huge party atmosphere. The expo on the Friday is pretty cool too.

Just a word of warning: it will be quite cold on the morning of the race (7:30-8am) as we're heading to the start and waiting in the paddocks, so bring along some disposable clothes for the start line. We're quite spoiled over here with our moderate climate (15'C at 8am) but over in Berlin, it'll be closer to 8 or 9'C in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Ath36

Pixsar wrote: »
    Again good sound advice.. We're at the grand city excelsior so i'll get my bearings once we arive.. Second option sounds good too.. just tempted by the fact it finishes in the Olympic Stadium:confused:

Staying same place Pixsar. Lets ditch this race and go on the beer for the weekend.

4 stars (good)
    Staying same place Pixsar. Lets ditch this race and go on the beer for the weekend.
    mmmmm... tempting ATH .. lol:D:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

4 stars (good)
    Hey VR.. Your travelling from Waterford? We're flyin out form Galway Fri. My brother was supposed to travell with ye I think but had to wihtdraw..Have ye anybody looking for Sub 4???

Best of Luck and hope to see ye at the after show party:D

Probaly a differnt group but I reckon I have 2 lads going for sub 4..........one 3.45 one that will run at 3.15 and could run anything.......Another lad that will run sub 3.15 another 2.58 and well me I will win the fcuking thing.
    But you know yourelf. Stick with the pacer if its a time that has pacers.
    Will be outside hotel berlin berlin sat evening at 5 wearing the kilkenny jersey watchinh the inline skating throwing sticks on the road.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)

I'm staying at that place as well. Think I'll put off deciding on the breakfast run 'til I get there especially as it looks like it's going to be a nice wet Sat going by the forecast.

4 stars (good)
    Probaly a differnt group but I reckon I have 2 lads going for sub 4..........one 3.45 one that will run at 3.15 and could run anything.......Another lad that will run sub 3.15 another 2.58 and well me I will win the fcuking thing.
    But you know yourelf. Stick with the pacer if its a time that has pacers.
    Will be outside hotel berlin berlin sat evening at 5 wearing the kilkenny jersey watchinh the inline skating throwing sticks on the road.:D:D

LOL :D:D:D Briliant See you there..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    Right so, best of luck to everyone on Sunday! I'm off to Germany this afternoon. The weather for Sat looks to be ok so think I'll do the breakfast run thingy to soak up the atmosphere a bit. Feel like I'm about to go sit an exam that I've been studying for the last few months for :)

For the post race drinks that KC mentioned, just wondering how to track people down as I don't know anyone on here, figure there will be more than a few milling around by the time I finish. Open to suggestions!

4 stars (good)
    opus wrote: »
    Right so, best of luck to everyone on Sunday! I'm off to Germany this afternoon. The weather for Sat looks to be ok so think I'll do the breakfast run thingy to soak up the atmosphere a bit. Feel like I'm about to go sit an exam that I've been studying for the last few months for :)

For the post race drinks that KC mentioned, just wondering how to track people down as I don't know anyone on here, figure there will be more than a few milling around by the time I finish. Open to suggestions!
    PM me your mobile number, and I'll send you mine back. That way if you can't find us, just send me a text and I'll let you know where we are...
    Enjoy the couple of days! Stay healthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭plodder

Good luck to everyone running this!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

All the best you lucky lucky bas****s

Does anyone (Krusty maybe? :)) have a checklist for packing for the marathon. Am sure someone posted one here before. I have my list written, but am sure something obvious is missing!

BBC Weather forecasting heavy rain in Berlin for Sunday and Monday. Pack the wet gear!

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Does anyone (Krusty maybe? :)) have a checklist for packing for the marathon. Am sure someone posted one here before. I have my list written, but am sure something obvious is missing!
    What, you think I'm some kind of over-prepared boy-scout? :mad:
    I'll see if I can dig it out later. :)

Advertisement