Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Colour B4" Hair dye remover

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

My hair has layers of dye, and was bleached a few years ago (3 years ago, so it's probably all grown out?). I was going to use the extra strength one to strip it to remove all the colour and then dye it again.

Although I'm only young, I have loads of grey hair (only visible on my roots at present) but I assume when I use this the greys will be visible from root to tip! For that reason I'd want to colour it pretty much the day after I colour strip it! Would that be ok on my hair, or should I wait longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭legallyblonde86

Let us know how you get on legallyblonde86

My hair is a lovely shade of manky mustard orange!!! Followed directions to a tee 

Made appointment for highlights Tomo!! Hope it friggan works! All I'll say is thank god I was off work today cos I never would have lived it down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Although I'm only young, I have loads of grey hair (only visible on my roots at present) but I assume when I use this the greys will be visible from root to tip! For that reason I'd want to colour it pretty much the day after I colour strip it! Would that be ok on my hair, or should I wait longer?

Just use the wash out Ash Blonde colour thats recommended, it won't cover all the grey but will tone it it well, you won't see big streaks of grey at all :D. I have ton of grey and when I was finished the whole process you couldn't notice the grey much at all. Leave your hair as long as you can to put another permanent colour in, at least a few washes, to let it recover, and you'll be grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭rockchik

Going to use this over the weekend!!Have been dying my hair medium to dark brown for almost a year(this time, I change my hair colour a lot) Sam McCauleys only have the regular strenght one, has anyone been able to buy the extra strenght one in boots in cork recently?????

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheJinMu

Just put this in my hair... I've been dying it every colour for years now but I think I only ever bleached it all once... It was a mid brown colour this morning, with fringe bleached and pink over that (which has faded so much...) It doesnt stink too much to me, and i actually think it smells slightly like grapefruit and strawberries!!!... Though my windows are wide open :P
    Since I've no cling film-like it recommends-Im using tin foil, so my head is burning ever so slightly, but nothing like bleach would make it!! And i've read people saying they could see the colour lifting while they waited, but I cant, so I'm slightly worried it wont work, but I did a strand test the other day and that worked brilliant so fingers crossed... Gonna go wash it off now... Wish me luck...

P.S. For anyone into the crazy hair colours, I find this forum quite helpful-its not Irish but some people on it are :)
    Enjoy :)
    http://www.hairdyeforum.com/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheJinMu

TheJinMu wrote: »
    Just put this in my hair... I've been dying it every colour for years now but I think I only ever bleached it all once... It was a mid brown colour this morning, with fringe bleached and pink over that (which has faded so much...) It doesnt stink too much to me, and i actually think it smells slightly like grapefruit and strawberries!!!... Though my windows are wide open :P
    Since I've no cling film-like it recommends-Im using tin foil, so my head is burning ever so slightly, but nothing like bleach would make it!! And i've read people saying they could see the colour lifting while they waited, but I cant, so I'm slightly worried it wont work, but I did a strand test the other day and that worked brilliant so fingers crossed... Gonna go wash it off now... Wish me luck...

P.S. For anyone into the crazy hair colours, I find this forum quite helpful-its not Irish but some people on it are :)
    Enjoy :)
    http://www.hairdyeforum.com/index.php

Well its washed out now... Took AGES to wash out but oh my gosh is it Blonde!!!! :eek: My natural colour is a kind of strawberry blonde but I dont remember it being this bright!? :confused: I'm SO happy with it :D The bits of faded pink are still hanging around, but they were fairly faded so I'm O.K with that :cool: It does still smell a bit funny, and worse than earlier, but it'll be grand. I used L'Oreal Elvive Full Restore Conditioner on it as i was feeling very rough and tangled in the shower and it looks no drier than usual now! :P Happy Bunny! :D:):rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭rockchik

Ok so I was a bit unsure about using this because there are a lot of mixed reviews online. My hair was dark brown and the ends were almost dark brown to black from using permanent home dyes for a few years. I used the stronger version( think it was advanced or extra strength) and I have quite thick hair so needed two bottles of it.

So followed the steps and when I dried my hair the roots were gone blonde and the rest of my hair was gone a light to medium brown....quite close to my natural colour! So as recommended I put in a light ash brown 6-8 shampoo colour, and this evened up the colour all over, this went darker than I expected but it faded over a few washes.

To finish it off then I put in a Loreal home highlighting kit about a week later and now my hair is pretty much a close to its natural colour as possible!!!

Cost in total about 50 euro, compared to when I spent over 200 euro to get it stripped in Peter Marks a few years ago!!!

And my hair is in much better condition now than it was after getting it done in Peter Marks (it was literally like baby hair/straw in parts until it grew out after that time)

Overall I think it is an excellent product and saves you a fortune in getting it done professionally!

Im delighted with the results!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I used colou b4 before to get black out and went dark brown but then I got bored and dyed it black again.

I then bleached my hair and the other day dyed it a brown colour but it is the most boring brown I could possibly have so i'm planning on using the colour b4 later.

I've no idea what colour my hair will turn out as it was bleached and then a few different blondes put over it before this brown but i'll post pictures up here when i'm done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Found this product great! I had a bit of a disaster two months ago when i used a John Freda hair dye supposedly a red mahogany colour. It turned out a dark brown (didn't like it at all!!) Anyhow i went off and bought colour b4, put it in my hair (quite smelly:() Then washed it out and was left with a mustard orange colour to my hair:eek: (i got some fright lol)

It took two packets of hair dye after this to get to the firey red i have in my hair now:D happy days.

If your looking for this to bring your hair back to your natural colour I'd think twice cause mine was not anyway near my natural colour (thank god i had a dye ready to go straight in afterwards) But if it's just to remove a build up of dye to redye then....Totally worth it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 the_pixy

I'm going hunting for this product tomorrow - I've been colouring my hair various shades of blonde and red for years but I decided I wanted to get closer to my natural colour, which is a deep brown, so I decided to put in a semi-permanent dark brown too see how I like it. Most of my hair came out black, but the dye didn't seem to take to odd patches so some of it was a dirty coppery colour - my friend thought I had just missed a big patch at the back of my head!

I have a wedding on Friday so I cannot keep it the way it is; I look ridiculous, so I'm really hoping this colour remover will work and restore some normality to my hair. If not, there is going to be a panicked trip to the hairdresser!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

I had a quick look through this thread and the FAQs on Scott's page but can't seem to find a similar hair 'story' to mine so I'll annoy ye all here instead :D

I'm a natural mousey brown colour. About 3 years ago I had it gradually dyed to blonde in a salon (see below)

blondeedit.jpg

Then 2 years ago I had it dyed close to my natural colour. It's been a really long time since I've been back to have it dyed again as I just can't afford it. So it's now back to mousey brown from my roots to about chin level and the ends are a light brown/blondish colour (again see below and please ignore the awful greasy mess, it's the only pic I could find!)

brownedit.jpg

It looks much worse than that in real life :o
    So, I want to dye it a chocolate or copper brown myself. Could I just buy hair dye and do it or should I use Colour B4 and then dye over that? I know it'll leave me with the bottom half of my hair blonde from the bleach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Julio__Bitchez

I used this back at the end of May, my natural hair colour is a light brown but I had put about 3 shades of Auburn semi & perm dye on it, then after that I had put a ginger dye over it, then a few blonde shades then a brown, so I had a lot of crap layered on my hair.

B4 Colour did lighten it...But it was nowhere back to my natural colour, so a few weeks later I bought the extra strength one, still didnt completely remove the dye, but definitely lightened it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kate_2293

How bad is it for your hair though? Compared to just dying it?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

kate_2293 wrote: »
    How bad is it for your hair though? Compared to just dying it?? :confused:

Not bad at all. Didn't hurt my hair in the least

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

:pI've been dying my hair a warm auburn colour for the last several years- before that I was dark brown and before THAT I was blonde (going back several years now!!)
    I was hoping to use colour B4 to take my back to my natural colour and then to go slightly deeper red (to get a better result and to get rid of build up). Is it likely I'll end up with some horrific patchy colour? I was hoping to go a few days between stripping and dying :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Just used the Colour B4 on my hair again. I used it last summer to take out the build up of dark brown and red, and got a ginger effect, which I put a few heads of highlights on over a few months, and had a nice blonde shade. Then gradually went dark again, using semis over the past year, and then today used Colour B4....back to blonde, my natural.

For anyone considering using it, I recommend it, because you cannot really go wrong with it as it is not like dying your hair; you aren't gonna end up that patchy.

Def worth a shot, it's my second time now and very happy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

I was just wondering what ash blonde colour people use? I have naturally very dark brown verging on black hair colour but I've dyed it all the colours under the sun (bar bleaching it, which I did when I was 18 and got high in my friend's bathroom from the fumes, never again!!!)

I dyed it black last halloween and that has clung to the ends of my hair for the last year.

So would the colour B4 make my hair go really light and if I use the ash blonde in it will that have an effect? Sorry for the rambling post!

It would bring your hair back to a lighter colour Sara, maybe not as light as you are hoping, but gets rid of all that leftover dye.

*I think* he recommends Clairol light ash blonde (semi!!)

I've put up the before and afters for me, please bear in mind that my hair wasn't that dark before, but I wanted to left the leftover dyes... I'l see if I can find the pics of when it was really dark and i lifted it..

Photoon2011-09-17at1226.jpg
    Photoon2011-09-29at1042.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

It would bring your hair back to a lighter colour Sara, maybe not as light as you are hoping, but gets rid of all that leftover dye.

*I think* he recommends Clairol light ash blonde (semi!!)

I've put up the before and afters for me, please bear in mind that my hair wasn't that dark before, but I wanted to left the leftover dyes... I'l see if I can find the pics of when it was really dark and i lifted it..

Thank you so much LadyMay. I'm nervous about trying it cos of the stories of hair going ginger. Considering my hair is so dark!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I've been dying my hair dark brown for years, naturally I'm dark brown - it's to cover stray greys.. I was hoping to get some highlights done. I know that they most likely will work on the top 2 inches of my hair, which doesn't have permanent dye on it. Would it help to use Colour B4 and then go to the hairdresser to get the colour done? Should I let them strip it? Cost is important too :o

• Advertisement

I would never pay a hairdresser anymore to strip my hair with that product on the market...fyi i also only used the regular strength; there is a 'max strength' one available.

How long would I need to leave between using the Colour B4 and then visiting the hairdressers? Could I use any colour wash or anything afterwards to even it out/anything to stop it looking crazy if it does come out mad?!

According to the leaflet, your hair is good to go once you've used it colourb4. They recommend that if you don't want to leave it (it won't come out mad tbh) then stick a semi permanent ash blonde over it. Give it a shot :)

Whoop! Will do, what have I got to lose ;) *don't answer that!!*

I don't have the best or strongest hair. It's thick ish, but far from luscious. There's heat damage and it doesn't grow in some spots due to excessive straightener use. I've still never had a prob using the product. Smells a wee bit ick (I noticed it a bit more this time but it's manageable) Be sure to post pre and post pics!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

This tip works great after colour b4 if you're not entirely happy with the result http://www.tipking.co.uk/tip/5919.html

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭shivkk06

ive been looking this up online n ive read few times that it doesnt work well on Schwarzkopf dyes. I ve been using feria deepest red and more recently the schwarzkopf dark red for well over a year between the two colours. has anyone had success at removing these colours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

shivkk06 wrote: »
    ive been looking this up online n ive read few times that it doesnt work well on Schwarzkopf dyes. I ve been using feria deepest red and more recently the schwarzkopf dark red for well over a year between the two colours. has anyone had success at removing these colours?

If you mean the Schwarzkopf XXL dyes, yeah from what I hear they contain high amounts of silicone, and every time you heat style your hair afterwards, the silicone melts into your hair and the colour is literally welded to your hair.
    Scott Cornwall himself has complained about people complaining Colour B4 doesn't work, but they had used XXL, and also I am on a hairdressing pro forum and they all complain also that nothing gets XXL out. However I guess it depends on the person, everyone's hair is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 happybunny21

My hair is naturally mousy brown but it has previously been a gingery colour..will this make my hair go back to brown or go to ginger??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

It goes back to your natural colour. If peroxide was used to lighten your hair it will go back to a lighter, usually more gingery colour.

If it comes out gingery, Dye your hair afterwards and picka colour thats close to your natural colour. Its fine to dye your hair afer colour b4

Advertisement