Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Sorry? I can't hear you up there on your high horse. I'll come back after my GRADUATION YEAR finishes our 4th year of college and GRADUATES.

Been there, done that sonny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

ziedth wrote: »
    This puts you a shoe in for the annual buzz killington awards........

Buzz Killlington... har! har! har! har! So when are you auditioning for Britains Got Talent?? It's just that the tumleweeds need to know when they are rock & rolling.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note

A quick reminder to all bar stuff and club/pub owners/market people/shills..

Advertising is not permitted on Boards.ie unless you have an agreement with the Sales team on Boards (sales@boards.ie).

Neither is posting representing your business, or the place you work in or work for, without an official representative accounts you can get by contacting the Boards Community Team (hello@boards.ie).

Please bare this in mind when posting on Boards and this particular thread. It will avoid you being sitebanned for ignoring a site-wide rule (something the mods can't do - its an admin call). Its not just a local temp ban, its a permanent site ban you get for spamming/advertising/shilling either publicly, or privately.

Also, duplicate accounts need to be approved by an Admin first. I see some posters are using up to four accounts to post and in a few cases are abusing the purpose of a duplicate account in the first place. If you break a site or forum rule in the alternative account, the original will be removed also.

Just a reminder, some have forgotten this and some keep forgetting this. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 round robin

I have been following this thread and am kinda disappointed in what people are saying about Waterford City.

I was in college in WIT 9 yrs ago now - am old! But I loved my time in Waterford and taught it was a great City really improved even in the short time I was there.

My friend is getting married this yr and I suggested we go to Waterford City for a weekend but I'm really being put off by what people are reporting on this???

Would you all like to sell your City instead? Rather than the bashing its getting at the minute!

Can anyone tell me where is the best spots to visit now - I know it used to rotate constantly when I was there and this still seems the case. We would be a group of 25-35yrs girls/ladies :D who want a good weekend away - still have a couple of months to make up our mind so I am not set on Waterford at minute just looking at comments.

Please feel free to encourage/discourage us to visit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

In fairness it's not as if we're bashing it to everyone in Ireland. All city and county forums on boards have discussions similar to ours.

The waterford you were in 9 years ago was a lot more vibrant than the waterford that we live in at the moment. But of course, that's true of all towns, villages and cities.
    sully wrote:
    Mod Note

A quick reminder to all bar stuff and club/pub owners/market people/shills..

Advertising is not permitted on Boards.ie unless you have an agreement with the Sales team on Boards (sales@boards.ie).

Neither is posting representing your business, or the place you work in or work for, without an official representative accounts you can get by contacting the Boards Community Team (hello@boards.ie).

Please bare this in mind when posting on Boards and this particular thread. It will avoid you being sitebanned for ignoring a site-wide rule (something the mods can't do - its an admin call). Its not just a local temp ban, its a permanent site ban you get for spamming/advertising/shilling either publicly, or privately.

Also, duplicate accounts need to be approved by an Admin first. I see some posters are using up to four accounts to post and in a few cases are abusing the purpose of a duplicate account in the first place. If you break a site or forum rule in the alternative account, the original will be removed also.

Just a reminder, some have forgotten this and some keep forgetting this.

Surely if a business is being bad mouthed they could come on and represent themselves without having to set up a representative account. You can't set up a public forum and then deny some people a right to reply.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Surely if a business is being bad mouthed they could come on and represent themselves without having to set up a representative account. You can't set up a public forum and then deny some people a right to reply.

I think in that case they just need to verify who exactly they say they are, free. I'm not sure though, its not our side of the work done on Boards. :)

I recall some businesses signing up to do that, but pimping and shilling at the same time which isn't permitted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I have been following this thread and am kinda disappointed in what people are saying about Waterford City.

I was in college in WIT 9 yrs ago now - am old! But I loved my time in Waterford and taught it was a great City really improved even in the short time I was there.

My friend is getting married this yr and I suggested we go to Waterford City for a weekend but I'm really being put off by what people are reporting on this???

Would you all like to sell your City instead? Rather than the bashing its getting at the minute!

Can anyone tell me where is the best spots to visit now - I know it used to rotate constantly when I was there and this still seems the case. We would be a group of 25-35yrs girls/ladies :D who want a good weekend away - still have a couple of months to make up our mind so I am not set on Waterford at minute just looking at comments.

Please feel free to encourage/discourage us to visit...

It's not a bad spot for a hen IMO. Accommodation is cheap, lots of decent places to eat and there can be a good buzz around town at times. There would be off the top of my head 3/4 good spots for your age group particularly if none of you are regulars to the city. Kazbar, Harveys or Revelutions normally have at least one hen in them on any given Saturday.

Sully wrote: »
    I think in that case they just need to verify who exactly they say they are, free. I'm not sure though, its not our side of the work done on Boards. :)

I recall some businesses signing up to do that, but pimping and shilling at the same time which isn't permitted.

I know you take a particularly strong stand point on that on this forum but I think some clarifications need to be made.

Your post says that representing a business is strictly not allowed. But I presume you are allowed to say who you are...but at that point what are you allowed say, and not say?

Are they allowed pimp as much as they want in the events thread? AS the Cathedral does on a weekly basis (and contributes nothing else to the forum)

Are they allowed link to their websites and facebook in their sigs, like the ones in your sig?

Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

ziedth wrote: »
    It's not a bad spot for a hen IMO. Accommodation is cheap, lots of decent places to eat and there can be a good buzz around town at times. There would be off the top of my head 3/4 good spots for your age group particularly if none of you are regulars to the city. Kazbar, Harveys or Revelutions normally have at least one hen in them on any given Saturday.

To add to Ziedth's post, as he said for your age group, Kazbar, Revolution, Geoffs, Dignity, Harveys and Masons for a live band down stairs also the front lounge for a live band

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Mrs Ziedth went to Dignity for her hen and had a great time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Dignity on a thurday night is great

I know you take a particularly strong stand point on that on this forum but I think some clarifications need to be made.

I don't want to derail this thread, but ill give a few clarifications but anything else do send me a PM or ask in the Feedback forum.

We have a strong stand taken on this because we have to, and are often reminded about doing so. Generally we try as much as possible be relaxed about things. What you don't see is a lot of what goes on in the background, so sometimes we need to step things up a little. :)
    Your post says that representing a business is strictly not allowed. But I presume you are allowed to say who you are...but at that point what are you allowed say, and not say?

Never said strictly. Since these new practices came in, most businesses contact Boards directly when they wish to post or raise concerns with posts. Otherwise they contact us (the mods) or post anyway. But some cases (one very recently) people come on saying they represent a business - and they don't, or do so without permission of management. That can lead to legal action against Boards, if the company are unhappy. Hence why we are told to send businesses to the Community Managers.

A Rep Account isn't always something you pay for btw either. It depends purely on what you are using it for. All of that is not something we decide. We are told where to send them to for more info, and what the outcome is.
    Are they allowed pimp as much as they want in the events thread? AS the Cathedral does on a weekly basis (and contributes nothing else to the forum)

The Events thread was setup to be a one stop shop for anything going on in Waterford. For a while some businesses purely signed up and just posted there about events in their venue or acts themselves posted in it. Neither contributed elsewhere either. That came to a halt mostly when we were told to enforce the No Advertising/Businesses Posting rule. Non-profit groups were generally let post away.
    Are they allowed link to their websites and facebook in their sigs, like the ones in your sig?

Just wondering.

Yup. The site Signature rules allow for text links only, after 25 posts. Genuine posts though, and not people signing up and posting random 25 posts just to get the privilege. There are hundreds of posters on Boards with links like mine in their signature.

I'm not an exception, nor do I get special treatment because I am a mod - I need permission if I am posting anything about my business and I have to wait for a response just like everyone else.

Any other questions, fire away by PM or ask in the Feedback forum. I don't want to derail this any further. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Just wondering.

+1
    Sully out - abouttobebanned in as new mod lol nah just kidding lol
    On a serious note though i mean people from outside the city ask for details on certain venues - would it not be wise to show these links so they can get the right info hence promoting the nightlife in the city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

RxQueen wrote: »
    Dignity on a thurday night is great

Is Thursday night 'straight night'??

:D

Elbows22 wrote: »
    +1
    Sully out - abouttobebanned in as new mod lol nah just kidding lol
    On a serious note though i mean people from outside the city ask for details on certain venues - would it not be wise to show these links so they can get the right info hence promoting the nightlife in the city?

Generally its fine, but lately some people are taking the piss and completely abusing the forum. If your a decent contributor and not always at it, you should be grand if something arises and you want to point them in that direction.

Its actually a pain on the mods, because we want to allow a flowing conversation and allow people discuss venues and give Feedback without red tape. But sometimes, a strict push needs to be set in to root out those simply taking the mick and not interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭yoyo83

just heard that the karaoke in Harveys is being cancelled "low turnout low interest"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

as a matter of interest, where do you draw the line at advertisement?

for example, there is a good gig going on friday night in Murphys on the quay, with Renoir's Reflection, The Good Will Out, and the return of 20 Miles That Way.

Considering i have no affiliation with the venue or any of the bands apart from being a fan, is that considered advertisement or am i just contributing to the nightlife thread? (and contributing i am, this will be a good gig :) )

few cans? wrote: »
    as a matter of interest, where do you draw the line at advertisement?

for example, there is a good gig going on friday night in Murphys on the quay, with Renoir's Reflection, The Good Will Out, and the return of 20 Miles That Way.

Considering i have no affiliation with the venue or any of the bands apart from being a fan, is that considered advertisement or am i just contributing to the nightlife thread? (and contributing i am, this will be a good gig :) )

Yeah that's grand. Its only businesses who sign up just to advertise, and rarely contribute that are asked to speak with the Sales Team / Community Managers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

dayshah wrote: »

Har Har :P

nah its just a good laugh!

yoyo83 wrote: »
    just heard that the karaoke in Harveys is being cancelled "low turnout low interest"

That's a shame. They ran that really well and was a great addition to the midweek scene.

• Advertisement

That's a shame. They ran that really well and was a great addition to the midweek scene.

ya very surprised they cancelled it but my friend was in there 2 weeks ago and was singing but she said there were only 12 people in there, they should run it in september when the students are back!

Singing and karaoke events in general are very hit and miss - very difficult to organise.

Singing and karaoke events in general are very hit and miss - very difficult to organise.

espec when its runnin on thursday nights

Unfortunately so.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

yoyo83 wrote: »
    ya very surprised they cancelled it but my friend was in there 2 weeks ago and was singing but she said there were only 12 people in there, they should run it in september when the students are back!
    Excuse me get your facts straight there was actually 13 people in there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

dayshah wrote: »

Was in there with the Mrs and her mates sat 3 weeks ago, I never saw so many women and hen partys in one spot in Waterford, If your a single fella get in there ha ha dont even know why its called a gay bar, looks like any other late bar to me.

Mooley22 wrote: »
    Excuse me get your facts straight there was actually 13 people in there:D

oh sorry 13!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 round robin

In fairness it's not as if we're bashing it to everyone in Ireland. All city and county forums on boards have discussions similar to ours.

The waterford you were in 9 years ago was a lot more vibrant than the waterford that we live in at the moment. But of course, that's true of all towns, villages and cities.

So Abouttobebanned - is there any point in me taking a visit back then??? :confused:

Of course. Every venue has a lot to offer. The problem is that there aren't as many people out as there used to be when you were around.

• Advertisement

harveys are fighting back 3.50 drinks on thurs and fri night and cocktails €5 ....:D

Advertisement