Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

dublinlady wrote: »
    Night terrors sound awful!! I'd heard of them in toddlers but not In babies nor adults!
    My little guy gets them, but he started when he was 3. I hope he grows out of them.
    MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Just realised my post makes it sound like my husband and I don't co-sleep! We do sleep together- the baby just doesn't sleep in the bed with us in case hubby has a night terror and starts thrashing around :)

He doesn't even remember when it happens, it's me who gets the rough end of the deal because I can't get back asleep. It is awful though - I'd imagine it must be horrible to see it in a baby or toddler :(

I don't co-sleep with the OH, we like our space and blankets too much. That said my bed often gets invaded by the 4 year old.

Night terrors in toddlers is horrible because they can be calling for you in terror and all you can do is hold them and they still can't settle or realise your there. It can be traumatic, for them and parents. I always end up cuddling my guy for ages. He breaks out in a sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Icecreamqueen - I gave a bottle at night from 2 weeks until about 14 weeks. I don't usually now but if I'm going out or exhausted I still would. I give a bottle so that I miss a feed - as in its never me who gives it! So fir example I would feed up until 9, at early stages this would be pretty much constantly from 6/7-9pm then at ten I would express so as to maintain and boost supply , id go to bed then. and uruslly only got about 2oz in total from pump at that time of day. When S woke at about 10.30 or 11, hubbie would give the 2 oz expressed & offer formula - she'd take 2-3 oz.
    I always pumped to maintain supply. Now she still feeds every 3 hrs but will do six hr sleep at night so I don't feel the need to give her bottle , but there are days where I've felt like I didn't have enough - pumped to see - and maybe only gotten 3 oz - but then if offered more she didn't want it! I really do believe if your feeding all the time you usually will match ur babies requirements - just cos they feeding more often but smaller quantity than formula it can be hard to see the overall picture! But it is possible / and for me / meant I continued feeding when I was shattered, I suffer with insomnia so can take 2 hrs to fall asleep - if I hadn't had this help I would have quit. You do what's best for you - as that's what's best for baby generally - but if giving a bottle do consider pumping a fair bit as close to feeding time as you can so your supply keeps high!
    Well done as reaching this far / it gets easier and your doing a really great thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd never heard of night terrors in a baby either. O went through a phase of them which thankfully seems to have passed. She screams and screams during one but I'd still asleep. She's just had one now and after 5 mins of hysterical screaming she's conked in my arms. On the other hand I'm fully awake and up for the day now!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Its awful when there is something wrong and they can't tell you. The night terrors are bad - we get them from time to time with the toddler, but the good news is that they don't remember.
    I express at night too to boost and maintain supply - esp since I get the good 6 hour stretch out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Can anyone recommend a good breastpump? I got a manual avent but hate it. Just been expressing by hand. And how much can you expect to pump per session? I'm going to need to pump for two, just to be able to miss the odd feed, have a drink now and again. Is it worth getting a good medela?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Blueskye wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good breastpump? I got a manual avent but hate it. Just been expressing by hand. And how much can you expect to pump per session? I'm going to need to pump for two, just to be able to miss the odd feed, have a drink now and again. Is it worth getting a good medela?

I was all set to get the Medela one but it was sooo expensive. I got a Tommee Tippee one on sale and think it's pretty good. I have the electric and manual one.

I haven't pumped much recently so not sure how much you would get. I did pump the other day and got 60mls after about 10 - 15 minutes but I think I used to get more when I was pumping at the beginning. If you pump in the morning you'll get more.

I had a Medela swing from when O was a baby but it died a couple of weeks ago. They'd gone up by €40 in the 2 years since I bought it a d I really couldn't justify spending €170 on a pump for ocassional use so I got one second hand on adverts. It's generally not advised to buy a secondhand one but I did anyway.

I had a Medela swing from when O was a baby but it died a couple of weeks ago. They'd gone up by €40 in the 2 years since I bought it a d I really couldn't justify spending €170 on a pump for ocassional use so I got one second hand on adverts. It's generally not advised to buy a secondhand one but I did anyway.

How do you find the swing howstrange?

I find it brilliant and very easy to use. That's why I preferred to buy a second hand one rather than try another pump which may or may not be as good.
    I'm also prone to blocked ducts and mastitis. I had lumps one day last week when A was fussy and not feeding well so I need a pump that will empty the breast properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I also have the swing and am really heppy with it. I got mine on Boots online and it was €40 cheaper than anywhere else ive looked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Blueskye wrote: »
    . And how much can you expect to pump per session?

1-2oz would be quite average. It can be pain staking but really is important to remember its not a good representation of what your supply is actually like.

I found the tommee tippee manual
    Fine. Never could truly get the hang of hand expressing!

I get about 2oz hand expressing but it's slow enough. Ordered the medela swing through Sam Macauley, cheapest I could find and free delivery. Thanks everyone :)

So, my baba had a formula feed at 11.20pm (he gets one a day to give me a little break) and I'm just giving him his next feed now (about 7am). I suppose that technically counts as sleeping through the night?

Unfortunately it doesn't feel like that to me, II was up quite a bit settling him back down when he woke up and from 4.30am he was sleeping on me. I still don't know what I can do to help him sleep better :( he is only up for a minute or two at a time but it ms pretty disruptive

I'm planning on starting him on solids early-ish for his reflux, on doc's advice and people have told me that often helps them sleep better. Anyone have experience with that?

I don't know about reflux and starting solids Murdy but a few of my friends who have babies the same age as mine (20wks) started solids and it made no difference to their sleeping. My LO went through weeks of waking up several times a night and it wasnt hunger related. It think its more developmental. He seems to have settled back down again.

Nead21 wrote: »
    I don't know about reflux and starting solids Murdy but a few of my friends who have babies the same age as mine (20wks) started solids and it made no difference to their sleeping. My LO went through weeks of waking up several times a night and it wasnt hunger related. It think its more developmental. He seems to have settled back down again.

I think I'm just being hopeful!

Hubby and I think the bad sleeping might be related to his sleeping set up. We have a wedge pillow under the mattress to keep him more upright so his reflux is not aggravated. This pillow makes him roll to the side so we have a sleep positioner as well. When he fussed at night it's usually because he has slid down the positioner and is lying at the end of the crib flat on his back.

We tried removing the pillow and positioner as the meds are working so well on his reflux but within minutes of doing this you could hear the reflux starting up. I'm not sure what we can do to combat this?

I guess one option is to have him sleep in the carrycot attachment of his pram ( it's designed to be safe to sleep in all night and we have a stand to turn it into a Moses basket). He's getting big for it though.

Not sure what else we can do and I know he's tired because he goes back asleep for two hours after waking in the morning and is hard to rouse. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Probably not what you want to hear but C's reflux got worse after we started on solids. It took about 6/8 weeks before she improved and she was 21 weeks starting. If I was to do it again I'd have waited. It also didn't help her sleep. She's 14 months now and only in the last month or two does she sleep through. I have friends who's babies who are formula fed who are far worse sleepers though so I don't think it's a breastfeeding vs bottle feeding thing. I know a lot of Cs problem with sleep was habit: she used be in pain from the constipation and reflux so then she would wake and it was hard to get her out of that. I know it's hard to believe but give it another bit of time with the sleeping: it all does get easier. It doesn't happen over night but it does happen.

On expressing - I think I get it all out... First thing in morn within 10 mins I can get 4-5 oz from each side - but if its after the first feed I express so 11 o clock for example I'd get 3 or from side I didn't feed from much and 1-2ish from side I did feed from. By end of day - about 9 pm I get 1 or 2 oz from each side. I think I have a good supply - and I use the medela swing. I had the avent hand help and don't get quite as much or as quickly from it. I find mine comes out quickly - as in if I express for 5 mins on one side and get 4oz - if I kept going for another 10 mins I'd get lot more!

S is a bad sleeper - will feed her at 9,1, 4,6 some nights... I'm totally feeding her as comfort but not sure she's old enough to do better... To be honest I think it's me waking her by shuffling in the night but I just don't want her out of my room yet! I'm tired tho so don't know.. I'm afraid if I move her into her own room she'll wake A as her room is next door! I dunno. Could just be the 4 month sleep regression! Ill just leave it a couple weeks And see what happens.. If she's still at it in 3 or 4 weeks ill consider moving her!

Murdy - sounds tough :( I'm clearly no sleep expert - but gonna try the baby whisperer pick up out down method soon with S - it worked really well for A! I'm totally "accidental parenting " her with nursing her back to sleep but because of the 4 month development leap I'm just gonna go with it until I'm sure she's over that! Then ill start tho!

Was at work today actually and have planned to express when I'm not around S at feed times - today I was so busy I didn't get opportunity - so it was 5 hours and no feed or expressing - I'm really worried how this will effect my supply :( I don't want to give up yet so will just have to try make time - but it's very difficult. I was also terrified I'd leak badly - I had about 10 pads stuck in each cup!! I'd say ppl think I've huge boobs but no... It's just leak prevention!! Expressed as soon as got home as S had had an expressed bottle so wasn't due feed - I'm now sitting beside her willing her to wake up for a feed cos I miss her!!! Maybe she would like work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

MurdyWurdy, my little guy has reflux too, but has slept through the night since 4 weeks, and is 5 months now EBF with no solids or formula, so I don't think there is a connection (in my experience). I also find HSE staff (PHNs, GPs, etc) to be very eager to suggest starting babies on baby rice/ purees etc, and I find that they are not well educated on breastfeeding at all. If I were you I would seek a second opinion, maybe from a LLL group, breastfeeding consultant, or Cuidiu person?

My second boy was 8 months before we got tough with the sleep / night routine and moved him to his own room (I wanted to wait for him to be the 12 months but it was obvious that we were waking each other). Some babies are just wakers i suppose.

I was so terribly upset last night - our 2 year old had a fit while we went out to Eddie Rockets for a meal (hubbys birthday & first time the 5 of us out for a meal), we had to leave, we then went to Mcdonalds which was fine with the 2 year old - I'm struggling a bit with him at the moment as out speech therapist is referring him on for assessment for Autism. After all that I was holding it together but when we got home and i started to get the baby ready for bed, he refused to take a feed, and started screaming - very unlike him. I tried everything that usually works but nothing would soothe him. So I gave him a bottle of expressed milk and he took about 3oz's so he was hungry. Afterwards I expressed over 5oz but left one boob half full as I was not sure how the night was going to go, so i did have the supply. I have never felt so useless as a mother, it really upset me. I know it could be many different things and he's feeding fine today and gave me a good sleep last night (until 6). But the 2 year old has refused a nap and is now like a briar!

I think the breastfeeding is propping me up psychologically as I feel I can at least do good by one of my kids! I know sounds stupid as if the 2 year old is Autistic there is not much we can do about that (there is a load we can do to get him to reach his potential). Sorry for the moan and its a bit disjointed - like my head at the moment! :)

Sounds so stressful aknitter - hope ur ok! And hope the babies are too! The little one wouldn't have a sore throat or anything? Sounds like ur doing a great job anyway - if he is autistic at least you'll have spotted it and can get the best resources to support and nurture him, rather than getting frustrated etc not understanding the problem or how to approach it.

• Advertisement

It's so stressful when they won't feed properly aknitter. Sounds like a very stressful time overall for your family. I hope it works out ok with your older boy.

My twin boys are not good sleepers. They each wake 3 or 4 times in the night so I end up feeding about 8 times. It's exhausting. Plus when one wakes I worry about him waking his brother. They hate their cots. I tried co sleeping but they fed even more often when in my bed so now one sleeps in his buggy bassinet in his cot and the other guy is in his bouncer/my bed. Last night we tried them in cots in different rooms. Both fell asleep for about 40 mins and then woke roaring and wouldn't settle again. We're going to have to try to do something about it but it ain't easy.

aknitter you poor thing. That sounds like a very stressful situation for all of you.

For mums of 4 month old babies I think (**hope**) we've come through that awful wonder week. The sleeping or non sleeping nearly broke me. We're at 19.5 weeks now so the wonder week should be over. She slept reasonably well last night so I'm crossing everything that she'll continue actually sleeping from midnight to 7am instead of just being awake all night.

Dublinlady just to say about your supply; it should be fine if you continue to feed on demand when you're together. I successfully fed O without supply problems from 6 months until we night weaned at 11 months.

I also found it next to impossible to express at work as I was too busy and as soon as I started expressing someone would phone me looking for something.

Aknitter it's so stressful when the babies wont feed properly. It's the one thing that should work to soothe and calm and when it doesnt sometimes i dont know what to do :-(

Awful day today. Little man wouldnt nap at all and was so cranky. He eventually conked out for 2 hours but it started all over again when he got overtired. Hubby came home to a bawling child and bawling wife. I want to go to bed now to forget today :-(

We re also past that horrible wonder week. Horrible being a massive understatement!!!

S has terrible trapped wind. I tried infacol to see if it would help..... yeah that was a bad idea. She screamed after it, I mean banshee type wailing. 2 hours constant crying in the middle of the night last night and also this afternoon. Now I know in the grand scheme of things that is nothing and there are thousands of mothers who would swap lives with me in a moment with my 3-4 hours of crying baby, but still stressful.

Also I started taking fenugreek on Friday and now I stink of it. Apparently that is normal but I can't help feeling like I smell weird.

holding wrote: »
    MurdyWurdy, my little guy has reflux too, but has slept through the night since 4 weeks, and is 5 months now EBF with no solids or formula, so I don't think there is a connection (in my experience). I also find HSE staff (PHNs, GPs, etc) to be very eager to suggest starting babies on baby rice/ purees etc, and I find that they are not well educated on breastfeeding at all. If I were you I would seek a second opinion, maybe from a LLL group, breastfeeding consultant, or Cuidiu person?

Thanks, that's interesting that even though your little guy had reflux he could still sleep through the night! Lucky you :) It was a peadiatrician that suggested the early solids and I think, for me, I'd take their word over a Cuidiu or LLL person. Lovely and helpful as they are they are not medically qualified and I'm all about that!

We've been thinking about in general anyway - he's a very hungry boy. We give him his medicine on a spoon dissolved into a paste and he's properly eating it off the spoon enthusiastically even though it tastes mank so I reckon he'll be ready for something a bit more solid in a few weeks. I was all set for BLW and avoiding all pastes and baby rice when pregnant but I think you just have to roll with what you get! We'll see anyway, I'm not sure what we're going to do yet.

We've tried putting him in his little carrycot tonight to sleep instead of his bigger crib to see if it'll help. He's got so good about most things, we're in a proper routine now. He sleeps 3 - 5 and then our evening routine starts and he goes down at about 8.30pm giving us time to ourselves. It's just at about 1am that he starts to wake up every 30 minutes.

aknitter - that sounds horrible :( It must be hard that the boob didn't comfort him. Normally it's the one thing we have up our sleeve to help us out :)

My LO is 12 weeks today which was my first breastfeeding goal. Early on I couldn't imagine getting this far with breastfeeding but now it's really easy so not giving up any time soon. Next goal is a holiday away at the end of October :)

My LO is 12 weeks today which was my first breastfeeding goal. Early on I couldn't imagine getting this far with breastfeeding but now it's really easy so not giving up any time soon. Next goal is a holiday away at the end of October :)

It's great making different markers, congrats. :D I thought I would fail spectacularly, but we made the 6 week mark last week. And you're 100% right on how easy it is, after the initial hiccups of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Thanks, that's interesting that even though your little guy had reflux he could still sleep through the night! Lucky you :) It was a peadiatrician that suggested the early solids and I think, for me, I'd take their word over a Cuidiu or LLL person. Lovely and helpful as they are they are not medically qualified and I'm all about that!

We've been thinking about in general anyway - he's a very hungry boy. We give him his medicine on a spoon dissolved into a paste and he's properly eating it off the spoon enthusiastically even though it tastes mank so I reckon he'll be ready for something a bit more solid in a few weeks. I was all set for BLW and avoiding all pastes and baby rice when pregnant but I think you just have to roll with what you get! We'll see anyway, I'm not sure what we're going to do yet.

We've tried putting him in his little carrycot tonight to sleep instead of his bigger crib to see if it'll help. He's got so good about most things, we're in a proper routine now. He sleeps 3 - 5 and then our evening routine starts and he goes down at about 8.30pm giving us time to ourselves. It's just at about 1am that he starts to wake up every 30 minutes.

aknitter - that sounds horrible :( It must be hard that the boob didn't comfort him. Normally it's the one thing we have up our sleeve to help us out :)

The only thing I would say is that a lot of the paediatricians are giving out old advise to people about when to wean, so I wouldn't take what they say as gospel. A lot of doctors / phn's etc. are either not getting up to date information, or else are failing to take it on board. Whatever works for you, go with, but I've heard from a lot of friends that weaning did nothing for reflux and the closer to 6 months you leave weaning, the better it is for a babies digestive system, so that has to have an effect ultimately on things like reflux. 2 good articles below on why to delay.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feeding-infants-toddlers/starting-solids/6-reasons-delay-introducing-solid-food

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/delay-solids/

Thanks Murdy, I feel so much better. Had some walks with the two kids and the baby is feeding well. I'd be listening to your doctor about the weaning thing. He knows you and J and while there is good reason to delay weaning it really comes down to personal circumstances. Your little man may be a hungry guy cause he's growing so fast!

A is 12 weeks on thursday and I'm really hopeful about continuing with the exclusive breastfeeding as on my last fella I'd decided to add formula as he was so unsettled and never seemed satisfied. With all the talk here about needing help, obstacles etc the one thing no one has mentioned the baby. When it comes to the whole nature/nurture debate I believe each child is born with an innate personality and this, I think, influences their temperament and how they feed, so maybe its time to start taking the baby into consideration with everything that goes on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Hey ladies. Due my first baby in 6 weeks and I'm going to breast feed all going well. What I'm basically asking is what do I need??! I have nursing bras, nipple shield and breast pads. Want to get a few more bits over the next couple if weeks I'm trying to spread the cost. Has anyone any creams,gadgets etc. they found were invaluable to them?

Advertisement