Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Oh yes, and made a decision today, a second bottle will be introduced. It is the start of the end, but if body allows I will wean very progressively as I done my daughter, over something like 6 weeks or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

First time reading this thread and glad I did. Baby is 7 weeks old now and although physically the feeding is going fine I'm finding it tough mentally. I feel so tied to her and really miss wearing nice clothes. Ironically I've never been thinner (all thanks to breastfeeding!), but all the nice clothes that I had left aside during pregnancy aren't suitable for feeding, it's baggy tops every day :(
    I can't even leave her for 2 hrs without getting stressed out that she's hungry and nobody else can do anything for her. This feeling will pass I hope.
    Glad to read other people are feeling the same.
    Her weight gain has been steady but low (about 120g per week since she regained her birth weight, is this low for a breast fed baby?). I was warned that the public health nurse would probably fixate on the issue of weight gain and sure enough she has. And even though I was adamant I wouldn't let it bother me, it does. She's perfectly healthy in every other way but I wish she would gain a big quicker. Is this just something that the health service concentrate on? Even though they acknowledge that breastfed babies won't gain weight as quickly as formula fed, do they really take this into account when plotting weight on those development charts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

emer congrats on your little girl. I think it's normal to feel everything you described. Breastfeeding is very intense at the start and you get the feeling that you're trapped and tied to the baby. However I think you're just about at the turning point. I always consider 8-10 weeks the magic number as the feeding settles down a bit, your supply is established a d you've found your feet as a new mum.

As for the weight I firmly believe in following the baby not the charts. Perhaps your daughter is going to be petite. She mightn't be a chubby baby. As long as she has plenty of wet nappies, her fontenelle isn't sunken and she's otherwise alert and content then you're doing everything right. On the matter of charts; there are two charts. One for breastfed babies and one for formula fed. Make sure your phn has the correct chart. Secondly the charts were designed in 1930's because a lot of babies were being fornula fed and were becoming malnourished so charts were invented to illustrate how the baby should be progressing in terms of weight and height for age. There never were any charts for breastfed babies. They're not needed. Thirdly make sure the phn is using the same scales. Fourthly there's nothing wrong with being in the lower percentiles. Some babies, by laws of average, have to be smaller or thinner than others. Just like children and adults. Finally weight gain in breastfed babies tapers off around 10-12 weeks. They may (but then again may not depending on the individual baby) gain a lot of weight in the first few weeks but it slows down as they get more efficient at feeding and just take what they need.

On the matter of clothes; yes it is a bit of a pain. For the most part dresses are out unless you get breastfeeding dresses. However there's no reason why you have to wear baggy tops. I used to wear string best under my tops so I'd lift up my top, pull the vest down, unhook the bra and off I'd go. It means you have to look at different clothes for a while but looking back at it now it's only for a short amount of time in the overall scheme of things. I'd suggest you go shopping and buy yourself some nice new clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

emer_b wrote: »
    First time reading this thread and glad I did. Baby is 7 weeks old now and although physically the feeding is going fine I'm finding it tough mentally. I feel so tied to her and really miss wearing nice clothes. Ironically I've never been thinner (all thanks to breastfeeding!), but all the nice clothes that I had left aside during pregnancy aren't suitable for feeding, it's baggy tops every day :(
    I can't even leave her for 2 hrs without getting stressed out that she's hungry and nobody else can do anything for her. This feeling will pass I hope.
    Glad to read other people are feeling the same.
    Her weight gain has been steady but low (about 120g per week since she regained her birth weight, is this low for a breast fed baby?). I was warned that the public health nurse would probably fixate on the issue of weight gain and sure enough she has. And even though I was adamant I wouldn't let it bother me, it does. She's perfectly healthy in every other way but I wish she would gain a big quicker. Is this just something that the health service concentrate on? Even though they acknowledge that breastfed babies won't gain weight as quickly as formula fed, do they really take this into account when plotting weight on those development charts?
    As How Strange said, make sure your phn has the correct charts. The WHO have charts specially for breastfed babies. My baby is low on the curve for bottlefed babies, but average for breastfed babies. In any case, your baby is putting on weight, once it's in proportion to how much she is growing in length she is grand.

Here is the link to the WHO chart that you can download: http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/weight_for_age/en/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

emer_b wrote: »
    First time reading this thread and glad I did. Baby is 7 weeks old now and although physically the feeding is going fine I'm finding it tough mentally. I feel so tied to her

You know I could have written this myself about 3 weeks ago - I have a 9 week old. I also found it really really hard from an emotional pov. The way I dealt with it was to pump milk every morning (while I'm feeding .. takes a bit of coordination! :)) and build up a little stock in the freezer so dh or mil could give me a break every now and then. Even just knowing I *could* was enough to take the pressure off a bit.
    Alternatively you could consider combined feeding and get your partner to give formula for her evening feed?
    If its any consolation, it did all fall into place for me very recently, and the benefits now outweigh any negatives (sooooo convenient!) PM me if you want to chat/rant!

Edit: Ditto on the clothes! I just wear low necked tops and hoosh the boob out over them - I use a scarf to cover when I'm out and about! Wrap dresses are great too .. dump those baggy tops :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

Emer you are doing great. the first few weeks are so tough though and it sometimes feel like you are trapped. My lo will be 14 weeks tomorrow and i really don't feel as tied to her now as i did a few weeks ago. she can go longer without the feeds and is starting to be so interested in her surroundings that sometimes its hard for her to even concentrate on the feeding! I used to worry about leaving her with expressed milk but when i see how well she takes it from the bottle while feeding her myself i feel a bit better about leaving her with someone else for a few hrs. it is still only a short while since you had her so take it easy on yourself and treat yourself to a few new clothes. you don't have to even look out for bf clothes just clothes that have a little give in them. and enjoy your new figure :-D

agree with glowing, dump the baggy tops. + 1 for wooshing the boob out too lol!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Hi emer_b, only a week and a bit ahead of you in the process so I can empathise.

How Strange is right, the charts were/are for formula fed babies. As long as you are feeding your little girl when she's hungry and until she decides she's had enough everything will be fine. My mother told me that my little sister gained very little weight in her first year, only a couple of kg, in spite of on-demand feeding. But as she was perfectly healthy and happy the Dr wasn't concerned.

I second wearing a vest that can be pulled down at the top under a top that can be pulled up. Also H&M have some comfortable (limited colours - black, white, striped and orange last time I looked) breastfeeding tops which are fairly inexpensive and look nice - and could help show off your figure. They've got a panel which lifts up to allow you to feed from under. I find them very comfortable and convenient.

Like you, I'd love to be wearing all my normal clothes - after 2 pregnancies in close succession I've still quite a way to go to get back to my "normal" weight - but really when I'm out with L nobody is looking at me! I'm just part of the baby carrier :D

I also feel tied sometimes, but when I really sit down and think about it, it is all in my mind. Really it is easy to go places with L, I just put him in his carrier, stick a few nappies and my nursing cover in my bag, and off we go. It's getting things done at home that I struggle with. He is settling down a little in terms of feeding, cluster feeds are less frequent.

Also, it is nice to be so needed at the moment. I'll be going back to work full time and L will be at home with his Daddy all day, so I'm keen to make the most of all the time I have with him now.

My sister-in-law pumped milk and used to leave a bottle with my brother so she could get away for more than a few hours from time to time.

I also recommend pumping and having a little stash in the freezer. I remember getting very sick and going to hospital when my son was 3-4 weeks old. All I could think about was what if I couldn't have him with me to feed him. After that I bought my pump and always had a reserve in the freezer. Around 10 weeks I started a weekly Pilates class so his dad gave him a bottle at bedtime.

It's good to know that stash is in the freezer even if it's just to know you can pop out for a coffee for an hour and get away from it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

ladies thank you so much for all the responses, i didnt expect so much feedback and its really appreciated. everything you have said makes perfect sense, i just couldn't see through the fog yesterday. I'm definitely going to give pumping a go soon, I've been invited to a christmas party so that has given me an incentive to start working on it so that i can have a night out.
    I even put on a nice (ish!) top today!
    thanks again
    (and nice to hear from you sqiggler, we've moved on from the september babies thread!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

Hi, I'm looking for a word of wisdom and advice from you lovely mums who are breastfeeding second baby or more.
    I'm 33 weeks pregnant with my second baby, I didn't manage to breastfeed my first ( expressed for 8 months - very time consuming:) so I want to make sure I'm prepared this time :) how did you manage to look and spend enough time with the other kids? Do the other baby ask to be nursed/ get jealous? I have a lot of support from my husband and my midwife so I hope it will work out this time.
    Should I attend a breastfeeding support meeting already? I'm in Dublin West so if you know any support groups I would really appreciate your advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

shelly6 wrote: »
    I find that I get more if I express in the mornings.

If he is refusing bottles, you could try using nipple shields, as they are more like a teat. Also the medela calma teats don't free flow like other teats - baby has to suck to get the milk, like they would on the breast.

Anyone any tips to reduce leakage at night.

LO has been STTN for over a month, and I'm still waking up soaked every morning. I'm using avent night breast pads (after a lot of experimentation, these seem to the biggest and most absorbent!) but I still leak. Only on one side usually, as on her last feed, she usually only takes one breast. I've tried expressing a bit, but can only manage an ounce or two and it doesn't make much difference.

Have you tried doubling up on pads? I have over supply so even tho I'm doing night feeds I still need 2 pads at night or else I sometimes use the shells to save the excess milk.

Hi, I'm looking for a word of wisdom and advice from you lovely mums who are breastfeeding second baby or more.
    I'm 33 weeks pregnant with my second baby, I didn't manage to breastfeed my first ( expressed for 8 months - very time consuming:) so I want to make sure I'm prepared this time :) how did you manage to look and spend enough time with the other kids? Do the other baby ask to be nursed/ get jealous? I have a lot of support from my husband and my midwife so I hope it will work out this time.
    Should I attend a breastfeeding support meeting already? I'm in Dublin West so if you know any support groups I would really appreciate your advice :)
    I feed on the couch so my toddler can sit up beside us & we can read stories. Or he can play away himself near us so we're interacting all the time while I'm feeding baby. Sometimes he tries to convince me baby isn't hungry (I wish!) but mostly he accepts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭shelly6

ariana` wrote: »
    Have you tried doubling up on pads? I have over supply so even tho I'm doing night feeds I still need 2 pads at night or else I sometimes use the shells to save the excess milk.
    Haven't tried that, because it seems to be coming out the sides, but I'll give it a shot tonight. I was up late last night, and pumped when I came home and no leakage, but I'm not setting my alarm for 2am to reduce leakage!!

Emer, if it's any consolation I was in tears at 7 weeks, and was soooo close to giving up. So glad now that I didn't.
    I find the H and M vest tops great. They have inner support so I don't bother with a bra when I am wearing them. I can wear any of my old tops (well of the selection that fit. :( ) I Just pull them up, and pull down the top of the vest.

I would also wear dresses with leggings and a vest top underneath. Pull up the whole dress, and nothing is on display because of leggins and top.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yep, I do the vest/top combo, I dont need a bra, the hidden support holds the breast pads in place for me perfectly. I just got the tops from penny's. I used them throughout my pregnancy - I think I went up a size, but I've a short torso so I was able to get away with it. If they get stained or whatever, then they are cheap as chips to replace.

I passed my 6 month breastfeeding goal and I'm delighted. I'll keep going for as long as I can since its easy now. He is on his solids and absolutely horses into them, and got two teeth a month ago. Where has the time gone?

Neyite wrote: »
    Yep, I do the vest/top combo, I dont need a bra, the hidden support holds the breast pads in place for me perfectly. I just got the tops from penny's. I used them throughout my pregnancy - I think I went up a size, but I've a short torso so I was able to get away with it. If they get stained or whatever, then they are cheap as chips to replace.

I passed my 6 month breastfeeding goal and I'm delighted. I'll keep going for as long as I can since its easy now. He is on his solids and absolutely horses into them, and got two teeth a month ago. Where has the time gone?

Congrats on the milestone. I fed my 1st for 9 mths. Only 2.5wks in this time but I don't remember it being this hard... but I hope to persevere!

I also find long tops/dresses with a vest to & leggins is a great way to go - comfy & I feel semi-dressey! I can't get into jeans yet anyhow so I've no choice lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭annettea

hi I dont know where this question goes but since its about breast feeding I'll put it in here.
    So im pregnant at the moment and thinking of breast feeding. I really want to breast feed, I keep having dreams about the breast feeding so hopefully it goes as well for me as it did in my dreams.. So here are my questions? If you can help, please xx
    1. Which breast pump is better? manual or electric. I probably will be using it once in a blue moon if I want to have that glass of wine :)
    2. If I have that glass of wine do I still express milk but not givie it to the baby?
    3. Why do people give up breast feeding? Is it really hard? I seen one of the girls breast feed and it looked so easy- I know looks can be decieving. It just seems easy to pop out the boob instead of going to find a bottle or to make a bottle. :) I know my friend gave it up because of her nipples got all cracked sorry for the TMI..
    I really want to give breast feeding a go and stay with it if I can at possible :)
    Thank you in advance :)

annettea wrote: »
    hi I dont know where this question goes but since its about breast feeding I'll put it in here.
    So im pregnant at the moment and thinking of breast feeding. I really want to breast feed, I keep having dreams about the breast feeding so hopefully it goes as well for me as it did in my dreams.. So here are my questions? If you can help, please xx
    1. Which breast pump is better? manual or electric. I probably will be using it once in a blue moon if I want to have that glass of wine :)
    2. If I have that glass of wine do I still express milk but not givie it to the baby?
    3. Why do people give up breast feeding? Is it really hard? I seen one of the girls breast feed and it looked so easy- I know looks can be decieving. It just seems easy to pop out the boob instead of going to find a bottle or to make a bottle. :) I know my friend gave it up because of her nipples got all cracked sorry for the TMI..
    I really want to give breast feeding a go and stay with it if I can at possible :)

Hiya

1. I've only used an electric pump, but I've found the Medela Swing to be brilliant. I think it's cheapest in boots but there are plenty of ppl selling them second hand on adverts.ie It's surprisingly quick, and not cringingly loud either :)

2. I've been following the 'If you're sobor enough to drive then you're sobor enough to feed' rule. I've often had half a glass of red while feeding too .. I think the amount of alcohol which transfers to your baby would be miniscule. I don't think the alcohol actually resides in the milk either, it would dissapate from here as it does from your blood so there is no need to pump and dump if you have had a glass or two provided you're not tipsy at the time!

3. I found breastfeeding quite hard at the start, but more from a emotional point of view rather than physical (but I did have quite a bit of pain until I got my latch sorted with the help of the midwives). There is a knack to it for sure, so make sure you have a good support network there from the start, be it midwives, lactation consultants, or members of Cuidiu etc. Some women find it easier than others definitely - its one of those things where you do need to persevere as it can seem relentless for the first month or 6 weeks, and you might be tempted to move over to forumla for the convenience of it - but if you think about it, it's much less convenient with all the washing/steralising etc. I can really see the benefits of breastfeeding now that I'm out and about more, it's brilliant! - but it did take a good 6 weeks to actually start enjoying it and not to feel so tied! Some good advice I got was 'Don't give up on a bad day' - it really helped me get through the harder days at the start, and I'm so glad now that I stuck with it.

Hope that helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I agree with what Glowing has said. I've been exclusively feeding my little man for 9 weeks now, the first few days were great, the next week was tough with sore and cracked nipples, and since then it's been great. No bottles to prepare and sterilise, no formula to buy... no worrying about whether the baby is getting enough/too much or whether it is at the right temperature.

When my nipples were hurting I wore a nipple shield (a soft silicone cover that goes over the nipple for feeding) for some feeds to give it some relief.

I haven't bought a breast pump and don't need one so far... unless you plan to have your OH help out with feeds or to leave the baby with others where you'll need to leave a bottle you probably won't need one.

I just feed on demand, some days that might be every 2-3 hours, other days L might feed almost non-stop for the day... it's his way of making sure he gets what he needs and regulating my milk supply... if it's not sufficient he'll feed more for a day so that it increases after that.

Good on you to want to give it your best shot and I think to be informed before hand is the best way to go, here's my input:

1. Defo electric, had a manual at the start, thought it was useless, I would say its probably ok if you only use it to relieve engorge breasts, or if you have a mighty supply/let down.

2. Same as above poster, if I only had a small glass a couple of hours before the next feed, I just fed. Never pumped and dumped either, and to be honnest, for a few months, never really wanted more than the small glass because I was so tired.

3. Breastfeeding was really hard to start with at my first, bumpy road but I didnt have the support around me I would have needed. Make contact straight away with a local BF meeting group if there is one, La leche member nearby, lactation consultant. Know all your ressources so if it is bumpy, you can act fast and resolve the problems. I ended up feeding her for 9 months, and my second was a breeze.
    Also get some lansinoh cream and dont wait to have cracked nipples to use it, prevention is best.

In my opinion, once you get over the hard bit it is way easier than bottle feeding, especially at night time. and once its well established, you can have expressed bottles to give you a little break.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

I think the others have pretty much summed it up. I think if you go into breastfeeding with the idea that it will work then you'll get through the tough times. Keep your expectations realistic and you'll be fine. There's no easy way to feed a newborn so don't expect breastfeeding to be a doddle at the start because it's natural. Some women have no problems, others do so the key is to build a support network around you. Go to breastfeeding coffee mornings and chat to other mums. Go to your local la Leche or Cuidiu groups and introduce yourself before your baby is born.

Best of luck!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I was lucky that I never had sore nipples for long, only when baby was a few days old. I got lanisoh ointment and used it for the first few days, and I tried nipple shields once but it confused the baby so I abandoned them but after that I was fine. My sister told me to get nipples used to being handled by giving them a brisk wash with a facecloth when you shower, which I did during my pregnancy. At first I had to go nice and gentle as they were sooo sensitive but after a few weeks I was able to give them a brisk rub, they had toughened up a little. I thought of it as nipple boot camp for the job ahead :D
    Six months on still breastfeeding exclusively I've still never had any nipple problems so her advice worked. :D

I go by the drink-drive principle too when having a drink. You can get pre-sterilised freezer bags for your milk that have the quantity on the side. I just used a manual pump, pumping about 4 oz in the morning and freezing it as I went along. Now I only express to stock up if I know I'm going somewhere.

I approached breastfeeding with an open mind. I told myself I would give it a good try, but that if it became too much or too painful that I was not going to beat myself up about switching to formula. I think by keeping that at the back of my mind helped to relax me on the days when baby was cluster feeding.

Another bit of advice for the early days. Show dad how to burp and wind baby as soon as you can- make it the "thing" he becomes the pro in the house at. That way you can feed and hand baby over and share the work on the days baby is going through a growth spurt and wants to feed constantly. I didnt do that and I became the only one who "could" wind him properly, and when they are young they are slow on the breast as they are learning, and slow to burp. Some days it felt like I was feeding/burping/feeding/burping/feeding/burping/ non stop. So if you can outsource that to dad you will get your rest in between.

Neyite wrote: »
    Another bit of advice for the early days. Show dad how to burp and wind baby as soon as you can- make it the "thing" he becomes the pro in the house at. That way you can feed and hand baby over and share the work on the days baby is going through a growth spurt and wants to feed constantly. I didnt do that and I became the only one who "could" wind him properly, and when they are young they are slow on the breast as they are learning, and slow to burp. Some days it felt like I was feeding/burping/feeding/burping/feeding/burping/ non stop. So if you can outsource that to dad you will get your rest in between.

Really good advice! If the Dad can do all the 'supporting' work (changing, burping), and just hand the baby to you for feeding, it makes things a lot more manageable and gives you a well earned break - feeding is tiring work especially at the start when it might seem you have a baby stuck to your boob around the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I had a whole big reply typed there and my toddler pressed delete! ARgh!!
    Firstly... wow, expressing for 8 months is a serious achievement!!
    I only have one so far but I imagine if you could breastfeed directly you'll have an easier time of spending time with older kids as you won't have to sterilise etc.
    The story on the couch while breastfeeding is a great idea... you could also wear the baby in a sling and see if you can master the art of feeding in that so you/re hands free to play with the older kids or gets things done.
    Going to a support group is definitely a good idea... there will be people there who have been in a very similar situation that will have loads of practical tips.
    Dublin West... your Cuidiu group would be Dublin South West http://www.cuidiudsw.ie/ and Friends of Breastfeeding are pretty active around there too, they have a support group in City West every Monday I think from 10am-12pm.
    They have a list of all the support groups around Dublin, it's been updated fairly recently so should be pretty accurate http://www.friendsofbreastfeeding.ie/wp/support/dublin/

I haven't read the replies so far, but I think I noticed a few people saying electric pump... I used an electric pump at first but I actually found the manual pump a lot better. You have better control and can kind of figure out what rhythm suits you best.

You don't need to "pump and dump", your body will get rid of the alcohol our of breastmilk at the rate of around 1 unit per hour no matter what you do.

People give up for loads of reasons. In my opinion the lack of support is the key reason. Other common reasons include pain (breastfeeding should not be painful no matter what anyone tells you, if there's pain, theres something wrong), sometimes people aren't happy not knowing how much the baby is getting (your body grew your baby for 9/10 months, trust it to know how to feed your baby for another 6 without needing anything else), lots of mums want their bodies back to themselves or want to be able to go out drinking for a night without having to worry about the baby (I think a lot of mums actually feel more pressured to do this rather than actually wanting to do it), misinformation is a huge issue- breastfed babies have a normal weight gain, but health workers are more used to seeing a greater weight gain in artificially fed babies, and then think that the breastfed baby isn't putting on enough weight... there are also a few common things that happen that people don't really know about like growth spurts and cluster feeding which make mums think that they don't have enough milk, when what's really happening is your baby is signaling to your body that over the next few days their intake will increase and your body will then know to make more milk.

THis turned out to be way longer than I meant it to be!
    I'd also suggest a support group to prepare, especially if not many of your family or friends have breastfed, just to have that little bit of backup.

Good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I didnt express tried it,it wasnt for me.
    You can have a glass or 2 of wine but if you wanted anymore more soda water than wine woulld be my advice.
    I never had any problems breastfeeding no latch problems or sore nipples apart from teh start of course.Not every women has problems but if they do start talk to some one who knows what they are talking about.
    And enjoy the baby And i found it easy and a great success.My last baby only stopped a few weeks ago at 16 months and i will tell you take it one day at a time,there will be days you wanna givve up but keep going its so worth it.

I expressed for 6 wks with my first, ended up going cold turkey with bottles to get her on the breast, thankfully it worked, I am in awe its amazing you did it for 8 months!
    But now breastfeeding my second, 6 months on now, and have a 2 year old running around. I never found it too bad while I was feeding (much less than I had imagined!), because I was able to interract with her, she could be playing beside me, or at the other end of the room I was still somewhat participating. She did get a little jealous sometimes when I was feeding but I just made sure that as soon as baby was done I could put him down and spend time just with her.
    If you have people around you willing to help, enrole them to take the other(s) out for some activities. I noticed that the worst for her was that we stayed nearly constantly at home in the first few weeks, and just the change of scenery was great for her.
    Make sure that Daddy handles the baby as much as possible as well, that was our mistake at the start, I always had the baby and daddy was looking after toddler, which affected her more, as soon as we mixed and swapped everything she was fine again!
    Involve the other child if big enough, to go get nappies, etc. They love caring for the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

^^^^

Great advice there! I was very worried about how my toddler would react to me feeding the newborn, but I think we forget how adaptable they are. After a week, he was used to it. One thing that worked for me was buying a two-seater couch, so he could sit up and look at his books while I was feeding his wee sister. As I'm short, it was great for lying on too!!

wow the replies are fantastic!! i definitely agree with liliq that the most common reason the bf is unsuccessful is lack of support. i am so glad i had the support as it is the best thing i have ever done, apart from having my baby that is :-)
    Girls, im staying away from my 14 week old baby for the first night ever from my baby. does anyone have any tips. i co-sleep with her and feed her during the night. My mother will be minding her and staying with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

We're going away this weekend for a night too... she'll be 20 weeks. I don't know what my parents-in-law will do when they see the amount of crap I come with for less than 24 hours! So Pushkii absolutely no advice but I co-sleep and feed all night too: I reckon they'll spend the night up with her tbh ;)

• Advertisement

really cyning?! oh god i was hoping she would take the bottle asleep. i guess not :-( been meaning to try her with the bottle during the night eveyln night but i just keep forgetting. the co sleeping is the best thinguyen ever isn't it:-)?

Advertisement