Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Ivy I pumped for a few weeks when I went back to work at 7 months and brought my pump on a weekend to Brussels (just to rule out the risk of blocked ducts). Whenever I brought my pump to work or away I put the sterilized bits and pieces into a sealable bag. At 8 months I wouldn't be too worried about keeping things sterile. The only thing I'd be worried about and I still am is that there is no dried milk on anything. At 8 months I'd say immersing everything in boiling water would be sufficient for sterilizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I have a microwave steriliser and sterilise the night before: once the steriliser stays closed they are sterile for 24 hours according to the instructions anyway.

My (provisional maybe I'll see) plan is to do similar: leave at 4ish be home for midday and we'll only be about 40 minutes away :D

cyning you could leave a couple of cartons of formula as a last resort. It might reassure everyone to know they're there if the breastmilk runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

About 30oz for 24 hours sounds right, but be careful not to thaw the whole lot just in case. I left my wee woman at 4 months for 10 hours and she only took 3 oz the whole time for her nana, she more or less went on strike, but she was fine. Attacked the boob when she got home though! It's heartbreaking having to throw out unused thawed milk, so leave some frozen with the babysitter. As How Strange said, leave a carton of two of formula as well, great reassurance for all.

At 5 months, the sterilising isn't as important in my opinion. The wee woman is putting everything in her mouth at this stage, dodies are getting a mammy-lick and her sippy cups just go through the dishwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skit490

Hello all, so almost 5 weeks in n deciding would like a break or wee drink hehe. So want to start expressing. De used on the medela swing but does anyone have advice on sterilisers and what bottles to get. Someone above mentioned sterilizing bags, are these cheapest option. Won't b pumping v often so do want to limit spending. Also afraid my little one won't take a bottle, haven't got her near a Soother yet. All advice appreciated.

• Advertisement

The bags are very handy and not expensive at all especially if you're only intending to put occasionally.

It's fine to have a drink or two over the course of the night. Breastfeeding doesn't mean you have to abstain. Feed your baby just before you have a drink and it should've left your system by the next feed. Alcohol doesn't get into the milk btw. I'd reckon two drinks would be your max at this stage anyway because you're so tired.

To answer your question about bottles I used the breastflow from mothercare. They have two teets which are supposed to mimic the nipple. They're very big though and I know other women who just used the Medela bottle that comes with the pump.

It's fine to have a drink or two over the course of the night. Breastfeeding doesn't mean you have to abstain. Feed your baby just before you have a drink and it should've left your system by the next feed. Alcohol doesn't get into the milk btw. I'd reckon two drinks would be your max at this stage anyway because you're so tired.

This has to be one of the most common myths about breastfeeding - that you can't have a drink. (I was also told in ante-natal classes that you couldn't eat chocolate:eek::eek::eek:) Once baba is sleeping for more than 3/4 hours, your body will have time to break down alcohol. This leaflet is useful.

My approach is not very scientific, but I go by the drink-driving rules - if I shouldn't drive, I shouldn't breastfeed.

+1 on the two drinks How Strange - hangover after 3 bottles of beer now, I'm a very cheap date!

Bottles: I found the Nuk ones good with this wee woman, my little man took to the Tommee Tippee ones. You might need to try a few brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

This has to be one of the most common myths about breastfeeding - that you can't have a drink. (I was also told in ante-natal classes that you couldn't eat chocolate:eek::eek::eek:) Once baba is sleeping for more than 3/4 hours, your body will have time to break down alcohol. This leaflet is useful.

My approach is not very scientific, but I go by the drink-driving rules - if I shouldn't drive, I shouldn't breastfeed.

+1 on the two drinks How Strange - hangover after 3 bottles of beer now, I'm a very cheap date!

Bottles: I found the Nuk ones good with this wee woman, my little man took to the Tommee Tippee ones. You might need to try a few brands.
    The chocolate thing is not a myth, at least not for my baby. Especially early on, it can cause stomach pains and constipation in the baby. I don't eat much chocolate anyway, but any time I did, I definitely noticed the difference in the baby. Apparently, the effect is stronger if you eat the chocolate alone, but if it's part of desert at the end of the meal, it's less obvious.

The chocolate thing is not a myth, at least not for my baby. Especially early on, it can cause stomach pains and constipation in the baby. I don't eat much chocolate anyway, but any time I did, I definitely noticed the difference in the baby. Apparently, the effect is stronger if you eat the chocolate alone, but if it's part of desert at the end of the meal, it's less obvious.

Ok, well maybe 'myth' is overstating the case, but my point is that some healthcare professionals are giving blanket advice like this, which could very easily put women off even attempting breastfeeding. While some women encounter problems with diet, I have not modified mine one bit while feeding either of my babies.

The idea of 7 months without chocolate :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

i would go by the drink driving rule too. I thought i heard somewhere beer helps let-down. I never heard that about chocolate ! how bout peanuts although ive had some monkey nuts and no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

pushkii wrote: »
    I thought i heard somewhere beer helps let-down..

some beers, i think it's the non alcoholic ones though, help boost supply :D
    I think Guinness does too.

I haven't changed my diet either. Might have been better off if I did though! haha

Ok, well maybe 'myth' is overstating the case, but my point is that some healthcare professionals are giving blanket advice like this, which could very easily put women off even attempting breastfeeding. While some women encounter problems with diet, I have not modified mine one bit while feeding either of my babies.

The idea of 7 months without chocolate :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Oh don't get me wrong, I didn't change my diet either. I don't eat chocolate much anyway, so it was only the post-baby chocolate gifts that had an effect! I only drink very rarely, so that's not an issue for my feeding. If I do have I drink, I do it after the last feed (around 8pm) so that's grand.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I havent modified my diet either. Was told that spicy food, cabbage, brocolli, and chocolate & alcohol were a no-no. But then the PHN said that anything he was exposed to in the womb he would be accumstomed to in the milk so I still eat my curries etc.

Not much of a drinker either but I go by the drink drive rule too if I have one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Chocolate affected my little guy too, I thought my life was over :eek:!!! But it only did for the first month or so (obviously I kept trying it regularly, maybe he just got used to it), garlic, strong onions and cucumbers too, he's a picky little thing already!

I've had a glass of red or two now and again, but as others said couldn't really handle more than that anyway.

5 months tomorrow, thought I would only get to 6 months this time (done 9 with first) but I cant see me stopping now in just a month :)

I never really noticed chocolate affecting him but hummus and asparagus resulted in a few days of screaming each time.

Chocolate affected my little guy too, I thought my life was over :eek:!!! But it only did for the first month or so (obviously I kept trying it regularly, maybe he just got used to it), garlic, strong onions and cucumbers too, he's a picky little thing already!

I've had a glass of red or two now and again, but as others said couldn't really handle more than that anyway.

5 months tomorrow, thought I would only get to 6 months this time (done 9 with first) but I cant see me stopping now in just a month :)
    Interesting about the cucumbers, maybe he's a super-taster! (Did you know that half of the world have a genetic mutation in one gene that makes them taste cucumber as extremely bitter and unpleasant?)

that's fantastic. littlemissfixit :-) id say its very hard to stop im dreading it!! imagine that ivy about the cucumbuers! never knew that!
    do any of yere little ones suck their thumb?

that's fantastic. littlemissfixit :-) id say its very hard to stop im dreading it!! imagine that ivy about the cucumbuers! never knew that!
    do any of yere little ones suck their thumb?
    Mine does but only occasionally. It took him AGES to figure out how to do it! He preferred to suck his fingers first.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I've a thumb sucker here too. Only when she's sleepy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Never knew that about cucumber, Is there not something about the cucumber skin too that makes it hard to digest or something, must check it out just love those random facts !!!
    My little one sucks on two fingers, not the thumb, but I do give him a soother for sleeptime.
    About quiting bfeeding Im not dreading it so much, I kind of look forward to my proper clothes, to having a full day maybe to myself or with my hubby... but will defo not stop until he sleeps through and has cut down number of feeds, too lazy for bottle me ;)
    Tried the cup for the past week, my girl was on it from 4 months and done well, but I have had to admit defeat, for now anyway, he's a headstrong little thing and wasnt impress with the freeflow hard plastic I think! Will try again soon!

wow little miss that is amazing 4 months and drinking from a cup :-) id definitely wait til she's sleeping e night too i am so lazy :-) think laziness influenced my decision to bf lol:-)does anyone use a sling for out and about with baby? i have one but haven't used it yet

wow little miss that is amazing 4 months and drinking from a cup :-) id definitely wait til she's sleeping e night too i am so lazy :-) think laziness influenced my decision to bf lol:-)does anyone use a sling for out and about with baby? i have one but haven't used it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

does anyone use a sling for out and about with baby? i have one but haven't used it yet

I do! :)
    I have an Ergo, a Papatum and a ring sling... love my ergo, although he's getting a bit big for it now, but I'm so attached to it, I'm not ready to move onto the Papatum yet!! Haha.
    They're so handy, we were in Dundrum TC yesterday and it was packed, the buggy would have been a total pain to try and get around. With the sling we could just walk around normally :)
    What kind of one did you get?
    I had one of those baby bjorn style ones, but got put off it when I read up about it on some hip dysplasia websites. Scared me right off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

does anyone use a sling for out and about with baby? i have one but haven't used it yet

We have an Ergo with the infant insert. We love it and he loves it. Wouldn't use anything else... so nice to be able to go out with the little guy and have both hands free.

Hubby and I both have back issues and neither of us have any problem carrying L in the Ergo for hours at a time - it distributes the weight so well.

I used a sling from the day after no 2 was born. Baba 1 was only 15m and I couldn't figure out another way to look after both. Started off with stretchys but moved to mei tei slings. I've a double buggy which can also work as a single and have never had both kids in it at once and baba 2 is 6months now. I can feed her in the sling while walking but would have find somewhere to sit if she was in the buggy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I used a sling from the day after no 2 was born. Baba 1 was only 15m and I couldn't figure out another way to look after both. Started off with stretchys but moved to mei tei slings. I've a double buggy which can also work as a single and have never had both kids in it at once and baba 2 is 6months now. I can feed her in the sling while walking but would have find somewhere to sit if she was in the buggy

Anna what's this stretchy sling? I'll have 14 months just between them and want to breast feed again thus time and that sounds like a good plan!

Peppers - used to drive A insane bless her - and onions and cabbage and anything remotely gassy... Mind u not chocolate!!!!

I used to have a glass or two of wine after a feed every now and again, if I ever wanted more I'd use expressed milk - rare occasion... Hangovers and babies DO NOT mix!!

I have an ergo and I used it now and then but I never loved it as much as other people for some reason. I'm definitely going to use a sling all the time on no.2. I'm going to get in touch with the sling library nearer the time or after the baby is born and try a few different ones out.

• Advertisement

Dublinlady it's basically a long piece of slightly stretchy material that you wrap around you and the baby. If you Google jpmbb you'll see it's not as mad as I'm making it sound. (On phone so can't link). I put K in it the day after she was born and she stayed there all day most days except when she was feeding because she was happy and safe from poky fingers. It meant I had 2 free arms.
    Jpmbb ones seem the best and can be used for longest time. There's a good secondhand market in them. I bought mine and my Kari me stretchy secondhand and sold them on easily

Advertisement