Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Sorry to hear you're struggling. Feeding difficulties at the start are so tough.

I combo fed my first for 13 months and dealt with breast refusal for bits of it.

Generally I treated the bottle like a 3rd boob. Right, left, bottle. Or more often, right, left, right, left, bottle, right left. He liked to bounce.

Look up pace feeding on you tube. It makes the bottle less easy and less tempting.

When we were heavy on the boob refusal, I'd often start with an oz of bottle then switch to boob. It took the big hunger off and made him calmer so he was more likely to take it. If it still wasn't working, he'd have another oz then try the boob again.

Look up videos of breastfeeding and swallowing on you tube too. It teaches you what to look for to know baby is actually drinking vs hanging out and sucking.

Try to pump or hand express as much as you can until you see the lactation consultant. Itll help to keep & build supply.

Thanks a mill, 13 month of combo feeding sounds amazing.
    I actually just figured out to give her a few mls of the bottle then to switch to the boob and I was a bit more successful so will keep doing that.
    I'm not getting much from the pump but will keep.it up for the supply.
    She is really congested so going to try nasal drops before next feed.
    Aw its just such a pity but need to adjust my mindset on the whole situation. Going around in tears is not going to help things! Feckin hormones!
    Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Oh gosh cant26 sorry to hear all this. You are trying your best and that’s all you can do. Xxx

Are you pumping at all? I hate pumping but I would just be afraid of you getting clogged ducts etc as you said you have loads of milk.

If you can stay in bed today with your baby and so loads of skin to skin.
    I don’t know if you have tried this but you could start a feed with a bottle and when your baby is relaxed midway try and latch them on?
    Only one more day till the lactation consultant comes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Did you have any progress with the lactation consultant today cant26? Hope you are getting on ok.

Minier81 wrote: »
    Did you have any progress with the lactation consultant today cant26? Hope you are getting on ok.

Hi minier, so the lactation consultant came on Saturday and tbh it was a bit of a let down!
    I dont know what I was expecting but apart from her agreeing with everything the PHN had structured around feeding schedule she gave me a few exercises to do on the baby to loosen up her lips and jaw. PHN spotted a tongue tie and lactation consultant confirmed it. Baby wouldn't latch and she didn't really show me anyway around that.
    She sent me an email later and part of our feeding plan was for baby to feed from me for at least 15 mins a side....how I do that when she wont latch?!
    I dont know, maybe my expectations were askew but felt for 200 euro she didn't tell me much I hadn't already established with the PHN.
    She also wants me to pump at least 3 times between midnight and 7am. Just felt it was an unrealistic plan when she know I have other children and have to primarily bottle feed with EBM or formula.
    We are getting thr tongue tie released early next week. I just need to keep the pumping up as much as possible until then.
    My supply has definitely dipped. I'm drinking litres of water and fennel tea, eating lots of porridge and started motillium yesterday in the hope that it will boost my supply.

That sounds so disappointing, I see what you about the 200€. Hope it is going ok. I never held much faith in the porridge to be honest but even trying it will help and at least it is good and nutritious food, you must be exhausted with all this going on.

• Advertisement

Minier81 wrote: »
    That sounds so disappointing, I see what you about the 200€. Hope it is going ok. I never held much faith in the porridge to be honest but even trying it will help and at least it is good and nutritious food, you must be exhausted with all this going on.

Haha luckily I love porridge so would be eating it anyways! Yes its been a tiring few weeks, was readmitted to hospital with a massive bleed a few days ago and wanted to throw the towel in!
    Decided to give it another week, not yielding much from the pump but its better than nothing. Baby had her tongue tie released this morning and she latched after. I was so excited! Thought the nightmare was over! Unfortunately we are back to refusal, its like her tongue is still moving thr way it was out of habit. Hopefully a bit of practice will help her with the latch. If no improvement after a week I have to admit defeat :(

That is tough going, especially being in hospital. A bit of breast refusal is probably to be expected because baby will be used to doing less work for the bottle. It sounds promising that the latch was good immediately. I would try to get back to basics now skin or skin, relax, even take to the bed or couch for hours and just offer boobs as much as possible. Try to offer the boob before the baby is due a feed. Try not two worry about the pumping volume, a baby is much better at getting out whatever milk is there and the supply will grow in time. Meanwhile for the bottle you need to give, try to pace bottle feed. Are you older kids home all day or at school or creche? Do you get a followup call or anything with your lactation consultant for that 200€??

And also trust your instincts, it is always your choice if and when you want to stop, mother know best :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Hi, has anyone got experience of getting a referral for a breast abscess in Cork?
    The usual didn’t clear a blocked duct & just finished a week of antibiotics. I called my GP’s office who said they had referred me to a breast clinic but couldn’t tell where I’d been referred to (Bons or CUH) just wondering if I have an hope if being seen this side of Christmas. (Feeding a 6months old) tia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭fits

No but that sounds very very sore. Feel better soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FairCity12

Hello ladies. First time mum to be here!

I want to buy a breastpump. I was looking at the Lansinoh electric one. My friend has Tommee Tippee bottles and a microwave steriliser that she was going to give me. Can they be used with the pump? I heard mixed reviews with the Tommee Tippee pump adaptors - some say they can be used with Lansinoh pump, others say they can't. Please help!

A lot of people speak highly of the spectra pump. I don’t know about the lansinoh. Have you had your baby already? I wouldn’t necessarily rush to buy one before baby arrives. I rented a hospital grade pump for two months after my twins came home. I then bought one second hand but rarely used it after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’d agree with Fits that you don’t need to buy one straight away. It’s not recommended you pump during the first 6 weeks unless you are having issues with feeding and after that you may find you don’t want to. I bought a pump to pump at work when my little boy was 10 months. Used it for 3 months and haven’t pumped at all with my second (now 9.5 months). I hate pumping ... such a pain to wash all the bits and take time away to actually pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I have the Spectra pump - the one that is mains operated only. My little boy is 3 months old, I bought the pump second hand - I’m glad I didn’t buy it new as I don’t use it much at all. It is a good pump but they are not comfortable to use- i found putting coconut oil on the pump helps with the friction but I only use it when I absolutely have to. I can only get between 2-3 ozs between both breasts, the baby will always get more than a pump can.
    In relation to your question I use the spectra bottle to collect the milk, then pour it into a Tommy tippee bottle for storing and feeding.
    Best wishes, hope it all goes well for you.
    FairCity12 wrote: »

I want to buy a breastpump. I was looking at the Lansinoh electric one. My friend has Tommee Tippee bottles and a microwave steriliser that she was going to give me. Can they be used with the pump? I heard mixed reviews with the Tommee Tippee pump adaptors - some say they can be used with Lansinoh pump, others say they can't. Please help!

LillySV wrote: »
    I have the Spectra pump - the one that is mains operated only. My little boy is 3 months old, I bought the pump second hand - I’m glad I didn’t buy it new as I don’t use it much at all. It is a good pump but they are not comfortable to use- i found putting coconut oil on the pump helps with the friction but I only use it when I absolutely have to. I can only get between 2-3 ozs between both breasts, the baby will always get more than a pump can.
    In relation to your question I use the spectra bottle to collect the milk, then pour it into a Tommy tippee bottle for storing and feeding.
    Best wishes, hope it all goes well for you.

Check the size of the flange. I made the mistake of buying a smaller one....omg it is a bit pinchy!! I never use it though but it has saved me in the early days when I had clogged ducts!!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I rented the hospital grade Medela on recommendation of the hospital lactation consultant. I used it for a total of 2.5 days as just to try kick start milk production, and never bothered once it came in.
    I do use a Haakaa though, about once a day, usually early morning when I feel very full. Building up a nice freezer stash already, and in the early days I had just enough to avoid formula when I spent a day in hospital.
    Baby is just one month today.
    I get about 3oz from one side each use.

Who would you all recommend for tongue tie? Baby has a very mild one, she feeding really well but I can hear the tell tale click and I think she may be taking in a bit of air. She also struggles to hold the latch during let down, mine is particularly strong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Shelli2 wrote: »
    I rented the hospital grade Medela on recommendation of the hospital lactation consultant. I used it for a total of 2.5 days as just to try kick start milk production, and never bothered once it came in.
    I do use a Haakaa though, about once a day, usually early morning when I feel very full. Building up a nice freezer stash already, and in the early days I had just enough to avoid formula when I spent a day in hospital.

Who would you all recommend for tongue tie? Baby has a very mild one, she feeding really well but I can hear the tell tale click and I think she may be taking in a bit of air. She also struggles to hold the latch during let down, mine is particularly strong though.

Depending on where you’re based, I would highly recommend the national tongue tie centre (Justin Roche), in clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

jlm29 wrote: »
    Depending on where you’re based, I would highly recommend the national tongue tie centre (Justin Roche), in clonmel

Thanks, I'm in Dublin, should have mentioned that.

Shelli2 wrote: »

https://www.tonguetieclinic.ie/

This guy was recommended to me by paediatrician and my le leche group.
    We didn’t have to go as she is feeding fine. Don’t know what hospital you went to but there is one paediatrician in private clinic in Rotunda who does the 2 week and 6 week check he is also a lactation consultant. I think I claimed all the money back with vhi €150. I think they cover up to €200.
    Killed two birds with one stone :)

I had problems with let down on middle child. It is just one of those things :( there are a few different things you can try eg laid back position or hand express a little before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Vaquita

I bought the Bellababy pump in advance of my baby as a "just in case". Its incredibly affordable compared to many others and I use it with the bottles it comes with but I know it has adaptors for direct to bag too. Its a full kit that you recieve no need for extras.
    I thought it would be just in case I needed a pump (which i did in the early days) and that id "upgrade" if i needed one longterm. Luckily, I was able to breastfeed full time from 4 weeks to 6 months and now that I'm back at work this is my work pump. V small and lightweight, charges with a USB, and is a double pump.

I would recommend getting a few pumping bras too. Again, Amazon is great for affordable pumping/nursing combi bras. Definitely function over fashion mind you.

• Advertisement

Thanking you. I'm thinking more of a 'just in case' thing as well, and would like OH to be involved in feeding as well - and maybe to give me a break now and again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Thanking you. I'm thinking more of a 'just in case' thing as well, and would like OH to be involved in feeding as well - and maybe to give me a break now and again!

If your baby when it’s very young gets a bottle you need to pump at the same time to maintain supply and avoid blocked ducts and mastitis so it’s not the break it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Its not worth the hassle.
    I fed 5 kids and i couldnt pump. Sometimes its easier just to feed the baby than go through all that faff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Second Justin Roche. My second got hers done at 10 days and it was so quick and easy.

And also second the Haakaa. I pumped a decent bit on my first and wanted to get an electric one for my second. I didn't end up getting one in the end because I couldn't decide what one to get. I got a Haakaa instead and it was brilliant. So easy to use.

He can do plenty to help that isn’t feeding. Lots and lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

fits wrote: »

Yes your partner would be better cooking dinners, making you snacks. Changing the baby.

You sit and watch boxsets and eat your bodyweight in cheese.:D

The best thing about bf my last baby was that I did nothing else.
    Trust me!
    Still feeding said 21 month old. I used to love getting home from work and after my shower just sitting bonding with him as he got older and just feeding.. Dinner handed to me feet up..
    OH can help with so much more.
    BF is something special

bee06 wrote: »
    If your baby when it’s very young gets a bottle you need to pump at the same time to maintain supply and avoid blocked ducts and mastitis so it’s not the break it would seem.

Yeah I've read up on this, and about not pumping regularly until about 6 weeks when supply is established :)

dubstarr wrote: »
    Its not worth the hassle.
    I fed 5 kids and i couldnt pump. Sometimes its easier just to feed the baby than go through all that faff.

Lots of ladies online have had positive experiences with pumps though too! :) Some have even used them exclusively.

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »

Yes of course I understand that but I'm specifically asking about feeding in this instance!

Advertisement