Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

This is the breastfeeding networks factsheet in thrush. https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/thrush-mothers/

I’ve also heard it suggested that you should wash all bras, nursing tops and reusable pads in a hot wash as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

No experience with thrush but would highly highly recommend silver cups to help heal your nipples while you work on latch. They are miraculous! The latch may need to be rectified though to stop reoccurance. It might be helpful to speak to a qualified lactation consultant. Best of luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Thanks for all the replies.
    It’s improved a little in the last 24hrs.
    I tried a nipple shield but with the thrush it only made feeding more painful.
    I have seen 2 lactation consultants (1 in the hospital & 1 last week both IBCLC) seeing one again on thurs at our check up.
    I have started bathing nipples in warm water @ drying off before feeds & that’s helping. I live abroad & it’s very hot so I think that’s not helping. Changing bras and breast pads constantly. Ugh it’s such a dose!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

That sounds awful wuffly. Im not sure in retrospect if I ever had thrush but when I had those symptoms it was invariably because the latch had gone wrong for some reason. For me lanolin cream was a huge help. I hope you get sorted soon. Its awful to be in pain while feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ah that's a pain.

What kind of breast pads are you using? I found the reusable ones way more comfy than the disposable ones, might be worth a go. Breast milk is also supposed to help healing and fresh air. I don't know how the thrush will impact that though.

• Advertisement

Thanks all, turns out there was a bacterial infection as well on antibiotics for that now. Still managing to feed but baby is slow to gain weight so I’m having to pump to top him up so my nipples are aren’t getting much of a break.
    Cracks have healed but both nipples are very tender now. Any suggestions for something soothing to use between feeds? Would the multi mam compresses be good for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

wuffly wrote: »
    Thanks all, turns out there was a bacterial infection as well on antibiotics for that now. Still managing to feed but baby is slow to gain weight so I’m having to pump to top him up so my nipples are aren’t getting much of a break.
    Cracks have healed but both nipples are very tender now. Any suggestions for something soothing to use between feeds? Would the multi mam compresses be good for that?

Would you consider buying silver cups? They are expensive but meant to be great. :)

Millem wrote: »
    Would you consider buying silver cups? They are expensive but meant to be great. :)

I actually have them, but my nipples are quiet short/flat never managed to get them to work, I just end up with breast milk everywhere as I have to put so much in for them to touch my nipples. Must try again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I actually have them, but my nipples are quiet short/flat never managed to get them to work, I just end up with breast milk everywhere as I have to put so much in for them to touch my nipples. Must try again

I wouldn’t be trying to put loads of BM in. Just a drop is fine. It will transfer onto your nipples when you’re wearing them. The BM is like an added extra anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I'm not sure if you will be able to get it made up where you are but APNO cream is amazing. It really helped me to heal and I had tried everything. You need to get a prescription from your doctor and get a pharmacy to mix it for you. It's known the world over so hopefully you can get it made up where you are based. https://www.todaysparent.com/baby/breastfeeding/all-about-apno/

• Advertisement

Wuffly how is the latch? I am not a fan of pumping myself tbh. Double the work and exhausting. You probably know this but you don’t need to sterilise breast pump and bottles etc for breast milk.

I had apno cream last time, I’ll try and get a prescription. Hopefully I can get it here.
    I’ve no cuts or bleeding just feeling raw from all the feeding & pumping. Once he’s gaining enough weight I won’t be pumping. I really want to avoid formula if I can as I feel that’s where I went wrong last time. At least this way my supply should go up as well. I hope.
    I’ve seen 4 lactation consultants (1 in the hospital & there’s been a different one each time I’ve been to baby clinic) all watched a feed & said the latch was perfect. All said it will just take a bit of time & I prob still have pain/soreness from the infection & thrush.
    Thanks for all the advice. Had hoped it would be settling down a month in, but hopefully on the right track.

I had apno cream last time, I’ll try and get a prescription. Hopefully I can get it here.
    I’ve no cuts or bleeding just feeling raw from all the feeding & pumping. Once he’s gaining enough weight I won’t be pumping. I really want to avoid formula if I can as I feel that’s where I went wrong last time. At least this way my supply should go up as well. I hope.
    I’ve seen 4 lactation consultants (1 in the hospital & there’s been a different one each time I’ve been to baby clinic) all watched a feed & said the latch was perfect. All said it will just take a bit of time & I prob still have pain/soreness from the infection & thrush.
    Thanks for all the advice. Had hoped it would be settling down a month in, but hopefully on the right track.

Have you tried a nipple shield for a bit of relief?

Got out the silver cups, big difference! Thanks for the advice. They did nothing for me last time, Weigh in tomorrow so hopefully all this feeding & pumping is working 🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Got out the silver cups, big difference! Thanks for the advice. They did nothing for me last time, Weigh in tomorrow so hopefully all this feeding & pumping is working 🀞

That's brill. Delighted for you. They were a lifesaver for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

Hi all, has anyone any tips or recommendations for unblocking milk ducts? Think I have mastitis is one breast - not infected tho (no fever, chills etc)

Breast is swollen and hard in parts - been like this since Thursday night. So far I’ve been trying cold and warm compresses, warm hot water bottle, massage and silicon pump but at most I’m only getting 30 mls at a time. I’ve continued feeding from this breast too. A hot shower is my next port of call.

Anyone any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I used to constantly get blocked ducts. Have you tried dangle feeding (I’m not sure if that’s even the right term!!? Always felt like a twit doing it but worked a treat between gravity and baby doing its thing. Lie baby down and hover over them on all fours, boob to baby and let them feed. Much easier with a younger baby not on the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

Digs- brill, will give that a go - fingers crossed! Thanks a mil for the suggestion.

I second what digs has said.
    Dangle feed. I needed an electric pump tbh to unblock in general as I used to get them a fair amount especially when I went back to work.
    Also have shower first and try and press down on lump and press down on lump when you feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Always feed from that breast first til it clears. The dangle feed is good if you can manage it, also try to rub the area while baby feeds in any position. Hope it clears soon. I had a blocked duct once at about 10 weeks old and it lasted a few days, thankfully never had mastitis. Feed, feed, feed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Aveen

Hey, so my little lady, is over 3 weeks, has slight tongue tie. Slight crack nipples (l>r), not painful to feed. I've been working on her latch which has improved, still not 100%.  Only feed max for 10mins sometimes less.

Where best in Dublin to have tongue tie snipped in Dublin? 

Any advise? C
    Going to try shields, nipple are inverted at times

Aveen wrote: »
    Hey, so my little lady, is over 3 weeks, has slight tongue tie. Slight crack nipples (l>r), not painful to feed. I've been working on her latch which has improved, still not 100%.  Only feed max for 10mins sometimes less.

Where best in Dublin to have tongue tie snipped in Dublin? 

Any advise? C
    Going to try shields, nipple are inverted at times

http://tonguetieclinic.ie/

Dr O Reilly was recommended to me by the paediatrician if we needed it snipped.
    If you add your baby onto your health insurance you can claim it back.

We don’t need it snipped and paediatrician reckons it will stretch itself out.

Have you seen a lactation consultant. I wouldn’t get bogged down in the 10 mins feeding. Count the nappies and look at weight gain.

http://tonguetieclinic.ie/

Dr O Reilly was recommended to me by the paediatrician if we needed it snipped.
    If you add your baby onto your health insurance you can claim it back.

We don’t need it snipped and paediatrician reckons it will stretch itself out.

Have you seen a lactation consultant. I wouldn’t get bogged down in the 10 mins feeding. Count the nappies and look at weight gain.

Thank you.
    We're having average 8-10 wet nappies and 3-4 dirty nappies. Weigh gain is happening. Both PHN & GP say tongue tie is slight.
    PHN offer to review latch, may ask her to do this first.

Thank you.
    We're having average 8-10 wet nappies and 3-4 dirty nappies. Weigh gain is happening. Both PHN & GP say tongue tie is slight.
    PHN offer to review latch, may ask her to do this first.

Dr o Reilly is a lactation consultant too. Maybe no harm booking a consultation if it’s causing you worry.
    Receipt is written as GP so check out your health insurance. My kids get 75% back.

I really wouldn’t take any notice of how long baby feeds for tbh. I had to pump the other day as was very full. In 2 minutes I pumped 2oz. The length of time means nothing.

If your baby is content I am sure everything is fine :)
    It’s super early days and she is still only learning :)
    Your PHN will call to your house if you ask.

Update PHN nurse was out all good with latch, good weight gain. Great days feeding, which helped with the back to school week.

But today I have mastitis on my left side, what can I do? I'm taking painnrelieft, had hot shower, getting baby to drink for that side. Will it go by itself or will I need antiboditic?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

Update PHN nurse was out all good with latch, good weight gain. Great days feeding, which helped with the back to school week.

But today I have mastitis on my left side, what can I do? I'm taking painnrelieft, had hot shower, getting baby to drink for that side. Will it go by itself or will I need antiboditic?

Hi Aveen, sorry to hear you have mastitis, its an awful thing to have. I've had it twice. If you get a fever then you should go to the doctor for the antibiotic. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing. I massaged it a lot and got baby to feed from it a lot and I made sure I got loads of rest. Hope this helps and hope you feel better soon!

Do you think it’s defo mastitis or do you think it could be milk stasis or clogged duct. If it’s defo mastitis I would go to doc and get an antibiotic.

If it’s milk stasis or clogged duct I would try my best to rectify before it turns into mastitis!! Feed, rest, empty breast.
    Feed as often as possible. Don’t neglect other side though!!
    Gently massage the breast to help with drainage when your baby is sucking on that side. Avoid a tight bra. Drink loads of water.

I was in the horrors myself this week and had to pump too. I would never usually pump but it was the middle of the night and I was sore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Pretty much what everyone else has said!! Feed feed feed or pump a lot from that breast! If there’s redness around the blocked duct?

I had mastitis on my first and I felt like I had a really bad case of the flu! Aches, pains, nauseous and very weak!!!! So I got antibiotic and within 24 hours felt like a new woman!!!

Best of luck with it

Hi Aveen, sorry to hear you have mastitis, its an awful thing to have. I've had it twice. If you get a fever then you should go to the doctor for the antibiotic. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing. I massaged it a lot and got baby to feed from it a lot and I made sure I got loads of rest. Hope this helps and hope you feel better soon!
    Thank you, I feel chills but no temp, I'll drop GP email for antiboditic, she great for communicating this way.

I'll try to rest, hubby working all weekend

• Advertisement

Do you think it’s defo mastitis or do you think it could be milk stasis or clogged duct. If it’s defo mastitis I would go to doc and get an antibiotic.

If it’s milk stasis or clogged duct I would try my best to rectify before it turns into mastitis!! Feed, rest, empty breast.
    Feed as often as possible. Don’t neglect other side though!!
    Gently massage the breast to help with drainage when your baby is sucking on that side. Avoid a tight bra. Drink loads of water.

I was in the horrors myself this week and had to pump too. I would never usually pump but it was the middle of the night and I was sore!!

I don't know for sure, I'm tired & have chills on/off. Woke up for night feed with horrible pain, she did do 6 hour stretch. I'll keep trying to self recovery first, not keen for antiboditic unless needs must.

Advertisement