Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I would get the prescription at least.

Nothing worse than feeling like death warmed up and trying to track down a doctor, get a prescription and then get it filled, especially when you're also in charge of a tiny baby.

You don't have to take (or even buy) the antibiotics if you don't think its necessary but with how quick mastitis hits and how nasty it can be I'd start the process now.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Aveen

I would get the prescription at least.

Nothing worse than feeling like death warmed up and trying to track down a doctor, get a prescription and then get it filled, especially when you're also in charge of a tiny baby.

You don't have to take (or even buy) the antibiotics if you don't think its necessary but with how quick mastitis hits and how nasty it can be I'd start the process now.

Thanks will look tomorrow, I have VHI with o line to will call them tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Aveen

Hey ladies, felt much better today, went to bed extra early (after sleeping on the couch too). Anyway, no chills.today, breast not as tender, slight reddness still present but also improved. Going to see how everything is tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Hi folks, my newborn boy is 11 days old and doesn’t seem to be getting enough milk from my breast so I had been supplementing it with bottled formula... which may have upset the supply? He had really damaged the nipples which is why we had started the formula initially. I was thinking about buying an electric pump to increase the supply... any suggestions on which electric pump to get etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

LillySV wrote: »
    Hi folks, my newborn boy is 11 days old and doesn’t seem to be getting enough milk from my breast so I had been supplementing it with bottled formula... which may have upset the supply? He had really damaged the nipples which is why we had started the formula initially. I was thinking about buying an electric pump to increase the supply... any suggestions on which electric pump to get etc?

Is it sore when you breastfeed? Has baby been checked for tongue tie?
    Personally I wouldn’t bother with a pump. Ditch the bottles, take to the bed, lots of skin to skin and feed, feed,feed.

Pumping is double the work.
    Buy those silver cups for your nipples. I haven’t used them but they are meant to be great. Nipple shields can help if your nipples are damaged or sore.
    Best of luck :)

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    Is it sore when you breastfeed? Has baby been checked for tongue tie?
    Personally I wouldn’t bother with a pump. Ditch the bottles, take to the bed, lots of skin to skin and feed, feed,feed.

Pumping is double the work.
    Buy those silver cups for your nipples. I haven’t used them but they are meant to be great. Nipple shields can help if your nipples are damaged or sore.
    Best of luck :)

One nipple is cracked on top and at base and the other is just cracked at base. They are sore all the time but particularly sore at the start of a feed.

Thanks for your advice ðŸ‘ðŸ»I must try the silver cups
    They haven’t checked for tongue tie - I will get this checked.

One nipple is cracked on top and at base and the other is just cracked at base. They are sore all the time but particularly sore at the start of a feed.

Thanks for your advice ðŸ‘ðŸ»I must try the silver cups

Oh gosh they must be sore. I have used a nipple shield in the past to give my nipples a break and the purple cream.

Is the baby latching correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The silver cups are magic. Pumping will never be as effective as your baby at removing the milk which in turn will produce more milk (and it’s a pain in the arse). If you can get onto a lactation consultant (make sure they are IBCLC registered). Alternatively Cuidiu have BF counsellors you can contact for free. You don’t have to contact one in your area and if one doesn’t respond move onto another one as they are volunteers and busy mothers.
    https://www.cuidiu.ie/supports_breastfeeding_counsellors

Oh gosh they must be sore. I have used a nipple shield in the past to give my nipples a break and the purple cream.

Is the baby latching correctly?

One was cracked before he was born so that’s part of the problem. I got APNO cream from the pharmacist and that has helped a lot.
    I think the latch is ok but I do find it very hard to get enough areola into his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

One was cracked before he was born so that’s part of the problem. I got APNO cream from the pharmacist and that has helped a lot.
    I think the latch is ok but I do find it very hard to get enough areola into his mouth.

One thing that was a saving grace for me when i started was the Mam nipple shields. I dont think i wouldve continued had I not gotten these to help when my nipples with damaged.

Have you tried feeding him lying on your side? Midwife helped me with that one and it was the easiest for her latch correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sarah1916

You should definitely invest in the silver cups. They are a Godsend in those early weeks and you will notice a difference in the pain within a few hours/days. I wouldn't worry about getting a pump for now. My baby had to be supplemented with formula in the hospital because she was very badly jaundice and I also was pumping in the hosp to try and get some more out for her to top up. So I ended up renting the hospital grade pump for a month and I think I used it maybe once. We managed to completely go back to breast so I am sure you will be able to do the same.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=y--syZR0u1E

Watch this. It might help.
    :)

You could try a Hakaa (or Hakaa knock off) instead of pumping.
    Put it on the boob baby's finished with while you feed the other side. It'll catch any let down and the suction will work as a mild pumping action to help stimulate supply.

Anything you get you can use to reduce formula. You can also fill it with warm water and Epsom salts to soothe your cracked nipples. Watch you tube videos on how to attach it because there's a knack to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭ax530

I recommend Multi-Mam Compresses for the sore nipples, cannot recommend any pumps as never used much and when ever I tried didnt have success.
    When my third child was circa 3 months I got cracked nipples wow so painful fond the multi mam compresses amazing. Had tried other things also, a nurse at breast feeding clinic had said I had thrush sent me to Dr who said no.... google solutions ect nothing helped until someone told me about those compresses really made a difference.
    good luck !
    mind yourself enjoy the time with baby

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Hi all, baby is 4 days old. My mill just came in today thank god. But my nipples are excruciatingly sore! I have APNO cream so applying that.

I think little fella has a posterior tongue tie. I have an appointment with Margaret Tuite tomorrow to laser it if I’m correct. I had never heard of Margaret before (Mt Merrion Dublin) and wondered if anyone has any experience of her before.

I usually only hear about the 3 well known names, Justin roache, Siún Murphy and Alan o’reilly who do the tongue ties.

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    Hi all, baby is 4 days old. My mill just came in today thank god. But my nipples are excruciatingly sore! I have APNO cream so applying that.

I think little fella has a posterior tongue tie. I have an appointment with Margaret Tuite tomorrow to laser it if I’m correct. I had never heard of Margaret before (Mt Merrion Dublin) and wondered if anyone has any experience of her before.

I usually only hear about the 3 well known names, Justin roache, Siún Murphy and Alan o’reilly who do the tongue ties.

Big congrats! Alan o Reilly was recommended to me by paediatrician in the hospital and everyone seems to rave about him.

Big congrats! Alan o Reilly was recommended to me by paediatrician in the hospital and everyone seems to rave about him.

Thank you :):). Yes he was funnily enough the only one I didn’t want to book in with! He did my daughter and I didn’t find him great. I didn’t think he was very supportive. But I do know all the midwives, Phn’s and docs refer to him. I’ve heard great things about Siún and Justine buy had never heard of Margaret at all. I’m sure she will be fine tho. They seemed very nice on the phone :)

Thank you :):). Yes he was funnily enough the only one I didn’t want to book in with! He did my daughter and I didn’t find him great. I didn’t think he was very supportive. But I do know all the midwives, Phn’s and docs refer to him. I’ve heard great things about Siún and Justine buy had never heard of Margaret at all. I’m sure she will be fine tho. They seemed very nice on the phone :)

Oh gosh!! It was a paediatrician in the hospital but my girl’s TT is very mild so doesn’t need any treatment. I didn’t need to see him. :) I suggested Siun but she said no!!
    My phn went to Siun for her own daughter.

Hi all, had anyone managed to go from bottle feeding expressed milk to breastfeeding?

My little one was 3 weeks early and losing a lot of weight even after having his lip and tongue tie lasered. He didn’t seem to be able to suck from breast and had lost 10% weight at 7 days old. Was still not gaining weight after we got home. And was still jaundiced.

Since Friday I have been bottle feeding him expressed milk. I haven’t really given him the breast as he only seems to use it as a soother and not actually take mill from me. I’m worried now I may never be able to get him back on sucking adequately as he’s used to the bottle and doesn’t have to work for his milk. He’s 8 days old today.

Any advice from anyone who managed to get baby to breast after bottle feeding? This is my fourth baby and I have breast fed before.

Hi all, had anyone managed to go from bottle feeding expressed milk to breastfeeding?

My little one was 3 weeks early and losing a lot of weight even after having his lip and tongue tie lasered. He didn’t seem to be able to suck from breast and had lost 10% weight at 7 days old. Was still not gaining weight after we got home. And was still jaundiced.

Since Friday I have been bottle feeding him expressed milk. I haven’t really given him the breast as he only seems to use it as a soother and not actually take mill from me. I’m worried now I may never be able to get him back on sucking adequately as he’s used to the bottle and doesn’t have to work for his milk. He’s 8 days old today.

Any advice from anyone who managed to get baby to breast after bottle feeding? This is my fourth baby and I have breast fed before.

No I didn’t have any success with my first child but have you looked at the medela nursing supplementary system?
    I found pumping such hard work tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I know that struggle! Squish your nipple between your fingers so it’s as flat as you can get it, then cram as much of it in as possible. Get him checked for ties, and look into shields while your nipples heal.

Above all else! I ebf my first for a year and i’m Still waiting on my medal. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is that your baby is fed. If you need to lean on formula for a while, do; it will not harm your child.

I think I have a Medela pump. Personally I found it harder on my nipples than the baby was, but it was good to have a stash in the freezer.

Take it easy on yourself, you are a good mother. Cracked nipples can be agonising; No one would expect you to run a marathon with a broken leg. If you need a crutch for a little while use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Hi everyone. Currently feeding my 5 day old. Milk came in yesterday and seem to have a great supply.

We have a weight issue where she has lots the 10% so I'm really trying to feed as much as possible. Is it really true you cant overfeed a breastfed baby?

After a very sleep day yesterday she has spent most of this afternoon screaming the house down. I can hear her tummy bubbling also. Afraid im feeding too much or maybe she has wind issues. Any tips for the wind.

Any tips or advice would he greatly appreciated.

kylith wrote: »
    I know that struggle! Squish your nipple between your fingers so it’s as flat as you can get it, then cram as much of it in as possible. Get him checked for ties, and look into shields while your nipples heal.

Above all else! I ebf my first for a year and i’m Still waiting on my medal. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is that your baby is fed. If you need to lean on formula for a while, do; it will not harm your child.

I think I have a Medela pump. Personally I found it harder on my nipples than the baby was, but it was good to have a stash in the freezer.

Take it easy on yourself, you are a good mother. Cracked nipples can be agonising; No one would expect you to run a marathon with a broken leg. If you need a crutch for a little while use it.

Thanks very much for your advice and for cheering me up. Nearly 5 weeks now, I give him one bottle at 9 and then bf the rest. He’s doing great weight wise but nipple still not fully healed but nearly there I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

cant26 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Currently feeding my 5 day old. Milk came in yesterday and seem to have a great supply.

We have a weight issue where she has lots the 10% so I'm really trying to feed as much as possible. Is it really true you cant overfeed a breastfed baby?

After a very sleep day yesterday she has spent most of this afternoon screaming the house down. I can hear her tummy bubbling also. Afraid im feeding too much or maybe she has wind issues. Any tips for the wind.

Any tips or advice would he greatly appreciated.

Absolutely true that you can't over feed a breastfed baby. Laid back feeding can be good to minimise wind I believe or lie down beside her and feed. Sometimes the fussiness can be due to a growth spurt too and there are loads of them in the first 6 weeks! Offer loads of boob and you can't go wrong, try to rest as much as possible yourself. If you a sling this can help too, the fusiness can be that they don't like being put down in the first few weeks too, look up the "fourth trimester". Netflix and boob for the first 6 weeks and it all gets easier as time goes by. Sounds like you are doing a great job so far x

Minier81 wrote: »
    Absolutely true that you can't over feed a breastfed baby. Laid back feeding can be good to minimise wind I believe or lie down beside her and feed. Sometimes the fussiness can be due to a growth spurt too and there are loads of them in the first 6 weeks! Offer loads of boob and you can't go wrong, try to rest as much as possible yourself. If you a sling this can help too, the fusiness can be that they don't like being put down in the first few weeks too, look up the "fourth trimester". Netflix and boob for the first 6 weeks and it all gets easier as time goes by. Sounds like you are doing a great job so far x

Thanks for your words of encouragement.
    I've been here before on my second and the issues never fully sorted out and I switched to formula at 4months due to him failing to thrive.
    A bit upset that this seems a bit familiar. The big difference this time is my supply is good. She is still only doing meconium poos and according to Kelly mom they should have changed yesterday :(
    Have the name of a lactation consultant that I'm going to contact tomorrow so I am definitely more proactive this time.
    Thanks again, we are feeding all evening. I love this time!

I've been here before on my second and the issues never fully sorted out and I switched to formula at 4months due to him failing to thrive.
    A bit upset that this seems a bit familiar. The big difference this time is my supply is good. She is still only doing meconium poos and according to Kelly mom they should have changed yesterday :(
    Have the name of a lactation consultant that I'm going to contact tomorrow so I am definitely more proactive this time.

Big congrats! Here is a list of le leche zoom meetings this week. You can join any group. They are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Beat of luck with the lactation consultant tomorrow. Getting good support is the best thing you can do. Remember you can also get free support from your local la leche league or cuidui too. If your supply is good that has to be a good sign, she must be taking plenty to generate a good supply.

Big congrats! Here is a list of le leche zoom meetings this week. You can join any group. They are fantastic.

Thanks for this.

Back again!
    So things have gotten worse :( we were sent to A&E by the PHN yesterday because of concerns with my baby's weight and her jaundice levels.
    Everything was ok but we now have to supplement with formula and since this afternoon the baby is refusing me. Or at best taking an absolute eternity and lots of tears from us both in order for her to latch.
    She gags at the breast and I really think she may have a tie of some sort. Had arranged for a lactation consultant to call to my house for Monday but got it brought forward to Saturday because i feel if it goes on like this for too long there will be no going back:(
    So hormonal and emotional about the whole thing. I'm willing to put in whatever work needs to be done but I need a cooperating baby!
    After that long rant just wondering if anyone here had similar experiences where their baby refused the breast but after time got things to work again?

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear you're struggling. Feeding difficulties at the start are so tough.

I combo fed my first for 13 months and dealt with breast refusal for bits of it.

Generally I treated the bottle like a 3rd boob. Right, left, bottle. Or more often, right, left, right, left, bottle, right left. He liked to bounce.

Look up pace feeding on you tube. It makes the bottle less easy and less tempting.

When we were heavy on the boob refusal, I'd often start with an oz of bottle then switch to boob. It took the big hunger off and made him calmer so he was more likely to take it. If it still wasn't working, he'd have another oz then try the boob again.

Look up videos of breastfeeding and swallowing on you tube too. It teaches you what to look for to know baby is actually drinking vs hanging out and sucking.

Try to pump or hand express as much as you can until you see the lactation consultant. Itll help to keep & build supply.

Advertisement