Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 coopdloop

Is there much of a quality difference between Medela storage bags &
    Lanisoh? Lanisoh are so much cheaper, a box of 50 is similar price to a box of 20 from Medela. Thx in advance for your feedback.

I usually express using the Medela bottle and then store in the Lansinoh bags. Storage wise the Medela ones probably stand better in the fridge or freezer but the Lansinoh ones can store more. The Medela ones are easier to attach straight to the pump and can be handy if you don't have a bottle sterilised or are pumping on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I don't know how much of the square bottle fills him, by the time he gets the refrigerated or frozen milk it's been through two more measurements and quite a bit of time, the TT measurement is easiest to go by as I feed him.

I know it doesn't matter entirely, but I'm very new to expressing so just want a clear idea of how much I'm getting/giving him, so that I can be sure theres enough milk to feed him if someone else is doing it and I'm not here.

I understand. But the same point applies if you go by your tommee tippee measurements. If you think up to the 5oz mark on those is enough then express into that bottle directly or else transfer into that bottle for storage/ before using the freezer bags.
    Something you might find useful could be these one ounce storage tubs by vital baby (think I got them in boots). Since you can freeze in one ounce cubes it's easy to defrost just the right amount and if you need an ounce or two more it's easy to top up since the cubes defrost so quickly. Also as you go on you'll notice the baby changes how much they want at certain times so it helps you to adjust. Handy that they're reusable too unlike the bags. I used to freeze in the containers then bag up into 4-5 oz feeds leaving a few individual ones for top ups.
    Hope that makes sense. Other than that, try a digital scales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Does anyone have any tips about minimising the damage done by watery bf poo? My little one is a terror for the explosive nappies and literally by the time she has finished going, it will have spread up her back :o She's ruining at least one outfit a day and it's difficult to bring her out anywhere unless she has already gone because she literally needs a bath after going. I can count on one hand the amount of explosivenappies my eldest had so I'm kind of lost with this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Does anyone have any tips about minimising the damage done by watery bf poo? My little one is a terror for the explosive nappies and literally by the time she has finished going, it will have spread up her back :o She's ruining at least one outfit a day and it's difficult to bring her out anywhere unless she has already gone because she literally needs a bath after going. I can count on one hand the amount of explosivenappies my eldest had so I'm kind of lost with this one.

What size? Every time I'm having blowouts I have to go up a size even though they look massive on him it stops the mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

She's 17 weeks and in size 3 at the moment but this has been happening since she was born :o I've tried a few different brands too. I'll try the next size up, it can't hurt to have them anyway. It's not even that she's overfilling the nappies, it just seems that the force of it sends most of the poo up her back instead of into her nappy :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey. Looking for some advice. I'm breastfeeding, my little boy is two months. After every feed bar one or two, hescreams in absolute agony, trying to farting. I'm sure its wind pain. I'm giving infacol, I'm doing baby massage techniques on hm. but nothing works. It was so bad yesterday I thought about going to the hospital! Then he started darting , did a poo and calmed down.... Help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

She's 17 weeks and in size 3 at the moment but this has been happening since she was born :o I've tried a few different brands too. I'll try the next size up, it can't hurt to have them anyway. It's not even that she's overfilling the nappies, it just seems that the force of it sends most of the poo up her back instead of into her nappy :(

Hm. Try the next size for sure. We had the explosives until we went on gaviscon, nothing else helped though obviously that was a side effect of the medication not its purpose! You know how to take vests off downwards to minimise mess? That might confine it to the vest at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Aldi are a wider nappy than pampers too it might help contain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

mrspostman - sorry but you're not gonna like my answer :o

There is no way to contain those nappies. As they get a bit older, they don't go all the way up the back, but they still can explode out a bit. It's just the way it is with bf poo, it seems!

Make sure to take the vest off downwards (as in pull it down over the body rather than up over the head because then at least the poo won't go in their hair.

There are some days when my baby needed 2-3 baths after that many dirty nappies! I swear some days I thought even a nappy made of steel wouldn't have been able to contain the poo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

adrienneod wrote: »
    Hey. Looking for some advice. I'm breastfeeding, my little boy is two months. After every feed bar one or two, hescreams in absolute agony, trying to farting. I'm sure its wind pain. I'm giving infacol, I'm doing baby massage techniques on hm. but nothing works. It was so bad yesterday I thought about going to the hospital! Then he started darting , did a poo and calmed down.... Help!

That sounds horrible. I don't know what it could be but perhaps a trip to the doctor might give you some reassurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

I found colief worked well for my baby and we had similar symptoms. The wind was down low in the digestive tract so no winding would have helped.

I'd seek medical advice tbh. The poor little fella :( Could it be something you're eating? Are you exclusively breastfeeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dekey

My little girl used to be like this too, I know it's not any advice on what you can do about it now but she grew out of it. From my research (Dr. Google obviously!) it seems like some babies just hate the sensation of having to fart. We winded her well, bicycle legs to help get them out etc. My husband used to put her lying over his shoulder and the pressure of his shoulder on her tummy helped her get some release. We tried infacol, gripe water, sugar water too but none of them solved the problem. Once she learned to fart herself and not get distressed by it. It's horrible to see them like that and feel helpless and think that it's your fault by either something you've eaten or caused. She's 9 months now and thankfully it's only a rare occasion that it happens now, it was pretty rife for us until about 4 months and then just got better and better. I know at 2 months it's not much help someone saying it'll improve by itself and 4 months seems so far away so def seek medical advice if you're gut tells you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 carrieblack

I fed all of mine and have the scars to prove it! Just kidding. Its just that first few weeks that it s painful then you could light the gas with your nipples ! You will toughen up don't worry. What I found was id doze off and they would be still attached! Dont do that as they are using you as a pacifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 carrieblack

They are no more windy than the bottlefed ones in fact I found it less so. Give him a good wind before and after over the shoulder. I fed all of mine and have the scars to prove it! Just kidding. Its just that first few weeks that it s painful then you could light the gas with your nipples ! You will toughen up don't worry. What I found was id doze off and they would be still attached! Dont do that as they are using you as a pacifier.

^ there is nothing wrong with a baby using their mom's nipples as a pacifier. In fact, it is encouraged - nipples are not just for milk, they are also for comfort, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

tinkerbell wrote: »
    ^ there is nothing wrong with a baby using their mom's nipples as a pacifier. In fact, it is encouraged - nipples are not just for milk, they are also for comfort, etc.

Here here, babies are babies for such a short period of time, and breastfeeding flies by quicker than anyone would think possible. I know it's hard at the start but when you persevere and get to weaning post 12 months you will look back very melancholy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Would love some advice please. Baby born Friday morn, good strong latch and quite content at the breast. Hospital worried about low sugars so lots of feeding rectified that however day 2 and baby not getting satisfied at the breast. Not settling and still hungry after feeds. Sugars low again so we start to top up with formula. Formula he tends to spit a lot of back up however is a different baby while drinking It...really alert and obviously really hungry. Expressing 25mins each side only gave a combined total of 5mls this morning ... Day 4! Milk still not in. I do want to persevere with the bfeeding but wonder will this go on for days and days. When is my milk likely to come in :-/
    Any help or tips would be great.
    Blood sugars are back up to normal and baby has lost 9% of body weight since birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

Congrats! I can't offer too much advice. I feed my baby fir 10 weeks but always gave her 1 bottle of formula from day 4, this was because I kept changing my mind whether to stick with bf or not. But my milk came in and I had no problem. So I think you can top up with formula without affecting your supply. Good luck.
    Blingy wrote: »
    Would love some advice please. Baby born Friday morn, good strong latch and quite content at the breast. Hospital worried about low sugars so lots of feeding rectified that however day 2 and baby not getting satisfied at the breast. Not settling and still hungry after feeds. Sugars low again so we start to top up with formula. Formula he tends to spit a lot of back up however is a different baby while drinking It...really alert and obviously really hungry. Expressing 25mins each side only gave a combined total of 5mls this morning ... Day 4! Milk still not in. I do want to persevere with the bfeeding but wonder will this go on for days and days. When is my milk likely to come in :-/
    Blood sugars are back up to normal and baby has lost 9% of body weight since birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Congrats, sounds like you are doing great.

Have a read of this re normal breastfed newborn behaviour. Baby's tummy is very small so needs to breastfeed often. Skin to skin and frequent feeding should help to bring in milk. You should really try to limit the formula top ups. Also colostrum is small in quantity (eg 5 mls) but is so good for them they don't need a whole lot. The link says that milk comes in Day 4, I have read days 3-5 before so you are normal. Keep up the good work esp frequent feeding.

http://www.thealphaparent.com/2011/12/timeline-of-breastfed-baby.html?m=1

• Advertisement

Get a lactation consultant out to see you - if you ring today, they'll prob get out to you today. It takes a few days for your milk to come in - mine came in the night of Day 4. But you produce colostrum until then which is what your baby needs!

Seriously, call a professional. It's the best advice you'll ever get. You can claim the cost back on your health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

margo321 wrote: »
    Congrats! I can't offer too much advice. I feed my baby fir 10 weeks but always gave her 1 bottle of formula from day 4, this was because I kept changing my mind whether to stick with bf or not. But my milk came in and I had no problem. So I think you can top up with formula without affecting your supply. Good luck.

I wouldn't agree with this, unless you intend to give formula every day. Even then, giving baby formula now will reduce her demand for breastmilk and reduce your milk supply. As formula is more filling, baby would go much longer without a feed than if she was breastfed. It's one thing if formula is medically necessary but if it's not...

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Blingy wrote: »

Congratulations Blingy! I'm so sorry you're not getting proper bf support or info at the hospital, but this is a common problem in Ireland unfortunately. What noone told me is on day 2 a lot of babies 'cluster feed'. This means they literally won't get off your breast but it really helps bring in the milk. My baby cluster fed for 10 hours the day after my section, I was so exhausted and had no clue what was happening but lo and behold my milk was in 48 hours after my section! The midwives were amazed but I don't think they knew much about bf and nothing about cluster feeding. Anyway 8 months later and we're flying it :) my advice would be leave the baby on you as long as he wants to help encourage your supply and contact a lactation consultant for support. Best of luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Thanks for all the advice. We cluster fed on night two but I became empty (well baby wasn't getting anything) and baby was starving. That's when blood sugars dropped to 1.9.
    A night with a couple of bottles seems to have done the trick. Saw a lactation consultant in the hospital today who was brilliant. Said he has a great latch and he is a great little feeder. Just had to wait for my milk to come in which it seems to be doing now. Going home now soon so hopefully all will go ok. I'm sure I'll be back here again asking questions in the next few days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dido2012

My baby is 9 days old she cluster fed for the first 3 nights and I was exhausted but milk came in quickly because of it. They had to give her formula from a cup in the hospital two mornings so I could get some sleep as it has been a long night. Didn't effect my milk supply and she was back to her birth weight 5 days after she was born. Cluster fed again last night for six hours but then slept for 5 hours so can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

This was my personal experience, we all have our own personal experience. My baby was a grazer from day one and I didn't realise this at the time. She'd feed all day it seems day and night. I had a public health nurse who was very helpful and she said she bf her three children and her youngest was like that feeding all day. I thought I would die of tiredness. Baby's now 7 months and still eats like this, takes all day to drink her bottles. Just be aware every baby is different as are mothers. Good luck with your baby.
    Marz66 wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with this, unless you intend to give formula every day. Even then, giving baby formula now will reduce her demand for breastmilk and reduce your milk supply. As formula is more filling, baby would go much longer without a feed than if she was breastfed. It's one thing if formula is medically necessary but if it's not...

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Girls I think I have mastitis. Hard half boob that won't produce milk, even after pumping fit an hour on a symphony in work. Started feeling hot and tired around 6 pm, went quickly down hill in next 2 hrs, had to go to bed, just took temp 103 at 9.30pm. Bubs won't feed from me, so trying to pump in bed. Was tough earlier, he wouldn't go to sleep for daddy, wailed for me which is unusual when he doesn't want milk, i could barely hold him sitting in bed. Not looking for medical advice, just others experiences cos in feeling awful sorry for myself here. I'll call the doc n the morning for Ab.

He kind of shoved me in that boob during the week, then I missed pumping in work Wednesday and Thursday as couldn't get away.

Thnx

You'll need to see GP but then go to bed and stay there with your baby and just feed and rest. Hope you feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

tinkerbell wrote: »
    You'll need to see GP but then go to bed and stay there with your baby and just feed and rest. Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks. I got antibiotics from the doc.

My baby is over 9 months now. This was the first time I've got mastitis. It is awful! I was just thinking, it would be so so much harder if I'd got it in those first crazy few weeks after he was born. Fair play to anyone who had to deal with something like that as well as a new baby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thanks. I got antibiotics from the doc.

My baby is over 9 months now. This was the first time I've got mastitis. It is awful! I was just thinking, it would be so so much harder if I'd got it in those first crazy few weeks after he was born. Fair play to anyone who had to deal with something like that as well as a new baby.

Hope ur felling better soon. I was in hospital for 3 days with mastitis when LO was 3 weeks :(. Was awful.

Advertisement