Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish language?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Terrible idea, face it, fluent Irish speakers are in a minority, trying to teach English only speaking children like this will result in them struggling in that subject.

Most kids that go to Gaeilscoileanna are only English speaking, they don't seem to have a problem with it. In fact a higher percentage of Gaeilscoileanna kids go on to 3rd level education then kids in English speaking schools. Kids minds are like sponges, they will pick the language quicker if they are made to speak it

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Most kids that go to Gaeilscoileanna are only English speaking, they don't seem to have a problem with it. In fact a higher percentage of Gaeilscoileanna kids go on to 3rd level education then kids in English speaking schools. Kids minds are like sponges, they will pick the language quicker if they are made to speak it
    But unless they are made speak it at home, they will still struggle. We are surrounded by English and it's simply way easier to use that as your first language. I don't see the point in damaging education in a useful subject for the advancement of a sentimental one.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Irish is a living language though and there's more Irish in the media and being written now then ever in the history of the language. Its been taught as a school subject when it should be taught as a social tool or skill
    Well, since it's been propped up by the government for decades, I would question the definition of "living". We don't know what state it would be in without that artificial lifeline.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Alot of Gaeilscoil kids only speak English at home and they don't struggle, I don't see your point, many countries a bilingual. I think you are underestimating the capacity of the human brain to comprehend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Isn't that just a factor of having parents that care a lot about their child's education (what I mean is, a parent who makes a concious decision on where their child goes to school is also more likely to care that they get their homework done and what results they get etc)?

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    Well, since it's been propped up by the government for decades, I would question the definition of "living". We don't know what state it would be in without that artificial lifeline.

Its also being destroyed by the government, most notably the Dept. of Education, with its syllabus in Secondary schools

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Isn't that just a factor of having parents that care a lot about their child's education (what I mean is, a parent who makes a concious decision on where their child goes to school is also more likely to care that they get their homework done and what results they get etc)?
    Also the fact they get an unfair bonus in the leaving cert for answering through Irish

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Also the fact they get an unfair bonus in the leaving cert for answering through Irish
    Oh yeah I had forgotten about that..

I agree that this is unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

neil_hosey wrote: »
    ulster scots is not a language, any linguist will tel you that. Its a dialect of english brought over to northern ireland during the plantations of ulster by lowland scots (who spoke, "lowland scots", another dialect of english) loyal to England. IT is not a recognised language in language terms, it is not a recognised language in the republic and I think it may be in northern ireland mainly because the unionists felt their culture being threatened by irish being recognised up there, so they threw a hissy fit "meeeeeh!!! we want a language too!!!"... tit for tat ****e.

Whereas one place where ive seen the most irish spoken and the most irish only street signs and shops/schools/etc.. was on the falls road in belfast.

Ulster scots is NOT a dialect of irish, its in no way connected to irish, its a dialect of english.

Anyway, im drifting..

Gaeilge abu!
    i now believe[i am being educated ]the language is called ulster irish, it has its centre in donegal[in the republic] and in derry,and it is having a great revival in northern ireland with both catholics and protestants,its a old language and shares similarities to manx and scottish gaelic.

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    i now believe[i am being educated ]the language is called ulster irish, it has its centre in donegal[in the republic] and in derry,and it is having a great revival in northern ireland with both catholics and protestants,its a old language and shares similarities to manx and scottish gaelic.

Ulster Irish is a dialect of Irish, it isn't a seperate language,
    I don't think too many Protestants speak it in the North either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

w
    ouldint the time teaching Irish be better spent learning a european or other language relevant in the modern world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

But unless they are made speak it at home, they will still struggle.

Thats very incorrect. From people i know, its completely wrong. are you basing that on experience or do you know someone that this has happened to.

I am certain its not a dialect of irish. Its a dialect of english, see my above post on it.

I am certain its not a dialect of irish. Its a dialect of english, see my above post on it.

You need to read my post again

the most common languages spoken in northern ireland,english, irish, ulster scott,the most common languages spoken in the republic,english, polish, irish and shelta [cant]

w
    ouldint the time teaching Irish be better spent learning a european or other language relevant in the modern world

Irish is relevant, just go to the Language section on boards.ie and you will see it has far more threads than any other language, and the poll above you tells us that the majority of people on boards thinks its relevant

the most common languages spoken in northern ireland,english, irish, ulster scott,the most common languages spoken in the republic,english, polish, irish and shelta [cant]

Ulster Scots isn't a language, it is a dialect of English

Ulster Scots isn't a language, it is a dialect of English
    dont want to burst your bubble but ulster scott is a official language,and is older than modern irish

dont want to burst your bubble but ulster scott is a official language,and is older than modern irish

:rolleyes:

Show me the proof

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pretty much. Plus smaller class sizes etc. Its nada to do with Irish in of itself. Compare these schools with private schools of comparable size and teacher quality would give you an idea of their educational value, not with over crowded "normal" schools.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:rolleyes:

Show me the proof
    +1. Scots gaelic is from the same root as Irish. It was brought there by the Irish in the first place. Any divergence would be down to separation over time. As for age, claiming a language as "old" is a hard one to do. Modern Irish is not like early 8th century irish and you wouldnt expect it to be. Same with english or french etc. Basque in europe seems to be very old though

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1. Scots gaelic is from the same root as Irish. It was brought there by the Irish in the first place. Any divergence would be down to separation over time. As for age, claiming a language as "old" is a hard one to do. Modern Irish is not like early 8th century irish and you wouldnt expect it to be. Same with english or french etc. Basque in europe seems to be very old though

Scots Gaelic does not equal Ulster Scots...

Ulster scots is dialectal variation on lowland scots which is a dialect of english. Just google it and see how it resembles english! i can understand it!

Scots gaelic is in the same family of language (brythonic (sp?), ie cetic) as Irish, with irish predating it.

Irish predates english also, by a long shot.

Ulster Irish is just Irish AKA donegal irish.
    Therefore theres no way in hell ulster scots predates irish in any form.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Wibbs wrote: »

No! Ulster scots is not Scottish Gaelic it is english expect it is the dialect in antrim and north east county Derry they say words that Scottish people say like hallion wee and stuff like that but they don't sound Scottish maybe a little bit but a bit more in ballymoney my aunt has that accent and sounds well strong lol I'd you look up scots English ulster scots comes up

ok lets sort this out

We are insular celts (apart from anglo-saxons in England) that is people living in GB and Ireland

There is two branches of Celtic languages on these islands
    Goidelic and Brythonic

Goidelic consists of Irish Gaelic, Scots Gaelic, Manx Gaelic which includes all their dialects (incl. Ulster Irish)

Brythonic consists of Welsh, Cornish, Breton

English is fundamentally a Germanic language with heavy French influences and some Norse and minor latin influences. Scots is a dialect of English and is also known as Lallans, due to the Ulster plantations Scots speakers moved to East Ulster and there own dialect is Ulster-Scots or Ullans (Ulster+Lallans = Ullans)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Scots = Language derived from Middle English. It matured alongside modern English, but not as modern English. It could be considered either a dialect or a language.

Ulster Scots = Scots dialect derived from traditional Scots.

Scottish Gaelic = Celtic language, derived from Middle Irish - Which shares many similarities with modern day Irish - although it is it's own language.

I guess if we are to claim that Scottish Gaelic is it's own language (which it is), and not a dialect of Irish - then a similar argument could be made for Scots.

Both Scottish Gaelic and Scots are derived from Middle Irish, and Middle English respectively and have matured over the duration of a few hundred years. Personally, I'm not bothered anymore whether people call Scots a dialect or a language. I used to think it was a dialect until I spoke to a chap who explained the history of it to me. Phonetically and visually, of course it's similar to English.

Now - Back on topic :)

ok lets sort this out

We are insular celts (apart from anglo-saxons in England) that is people living in GB and Ireland

There is two branches of Celtic languages on these islands
    Goidelic and Brythonic

Goidelic consists of Irish Gaelic, Scots Gaelic, Manx Gaelic which includes all their dialects (incl. Ulster Irish)

Brythonic consists of Welsh, Cornish, Breton

English is fundamentally a Germanic language with heavy French influences and some Norse and minor latin influences. Scots is a dialect of English and is also known as Lallans, due to the Ulster plantations Scots speakers moved to East Ulster and there own dialect is Ulster-Scots or Ullans (Ulster+Lallans = Ullans)
    the imformation i seem to be picking up is that the ulster scott language has not changed much since the 16th and 17th centuries ,now the irish language has changed and is still changing,and is not the irish language of the 16th century,and the anglo-saxon bit is a myth most native blood in the UK is celtic

the imformation i seem to be picking up is that the ulster scott language has not changed much since the 16th and 17th centuries ,now the irish language has changed and is still changing,and is not the irish language of the 16th century,and the anglo-saxon bit is a myth most native blood in the UK is celtic

It's a dialect, English is the language :rolleyes:
    Yes most native blood in the UK is Celtic but there is saxon blood aswell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

It isn't even an language it's a dialect.. Were did anglo Saxons ce from don't get started lol

• Advertisement

It's a dialect, English is the language :rolleyes:
    Yes most native blood in the UK is Celtic but there is saxon blood aswell
    yes there is saxon blood in the english but that was only in parts of southern england,the angles only occupied on county in the south, like ireland the vikings intergrated more,but the biggest intergration of the english was the irish,in the years 900,the irish devided britain into estates,living as much this side of the water as in ireland,[things still havent changed] but we love em

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement