Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dermondo

Hi all, I am travelling to Spain at the end of May and my passport is out in July, am I ok or is their a six months rule, done a bit of googling but could not get a definitive answer, any help would be well recieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Dermondo wrote: »
    Hi all, I am travelling to Spain at the end of May and my passport is out in July, am I ok or is their a six months rule, done a bit of googling but could not get a definitive answer, any help would be well recieved.
    No problem... You can travel within the EU right up to the expiration date.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dermondo

No problem... You can travel within the EU right up to the expiration date.
    Many thanks for clarification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

For a renewal am I going to have get another birth cert and grovel to some Gardai all over again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 keyesm

applied through passport express jan 16th and recived in post to-day Jan 23...

also travelled to US recently with just 3 months left to passport expiry and didnt have a problem..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

amacachi wrote: »
    For a renewal am I going to have get another birth cert and grovel to some Gardai all over again?

You dont need another birth cert but you do need Garda signatures

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

I see epassportphoto.com is no longer free - anyone know of a free alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

amacachi wrote: »

Shouldn't have to grovel. Its his/her job after all.

homer911 wrote: »

Forget that, I just found
    http://www.idphoto4you.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

epassportphoto.com till free afaics..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Hi folks, just a quick query, my current passport is the Old Type from 2002 to 2012 (with the Colour Photo) and I will be renewing it.

It's expires in May and I will be travelling to New York in May also. I am taking nothing to chance and I will be getting this sorted out in the next couple of weeks.

However, I want to book my flights ASAP.

My questions is in relation to the passport number. When I get the new type passport (with the B&W photo), will I have a new passport number or will it stay the same? I know from experience that the Driver numbers on a drivers licence stays the same when your go from Provisional to Full or if you renew the licence itself.

The reason I ask is, if I am going to be booking flights, they ask for your passport number, if I give the current number and arrive at the Airport with the new renewed Passpost and a different number I could in trouble.

Is the passport number unique to the person or the individual passport.

Also with USA and the ETSA Pre Clearence thing, I did this last year and it's valid for two years. Will I have to do it again with the new passport?

Thanks folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

will I have a new passport number or will it stay the same?
    Brand new number.
    Is the passport number unique to the person or the individual passport.
    Unique to the passport only.
    Also with USA and the ETSA Pre Clearence thing, I did this last year and it's valid for two years. Will I have to do it again with the new passport?
    Yes and pay another $14 to Uncle Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Yes and pay another $14 to Uncle Sam.

What?:eek:

I didn't remember paying anything last year for this service, when did that come in.

I'm asking as I think I might have used a Dodgy site so? Got into USA grand however?

The US government has been charging $14 for your ESTA for the last 18 months for so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

You can renew your passport straight away, you don't have to wait for it to expire. Countries that require visas woun't give you one if you have six months or less left on your current passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

My passport has being out of date for a few months now but I am booking a flight to Spain with either Aer Lingus or Ryanair in the next couple of weeks. Do I need to have a valid passport to book flights ? Or only when checking in ?

Thanks

You need a valid passport to complete the Aer Lingus Advanced Passenger Information (API) for Spain. You won't be allowed fly without this being done before checking in.

Get a new passport ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

This may have been posted already so apologies if it has. Found this on the DFA site:

'Passport Validity
    In most cases, to enter the US, you must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the date you enter. However, Ireland has an agreement with the US that allows you to enter on a current passport up to the actual date of expiration. An Irish passport need remain valid only for the duration of the holder's stay in the United States.
    However, if you are traveling visa-free on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and your passport is valid for less than 90 days, you will be admitted only until the date on which the passport expires. If the passport is not valid for the duration of your stay, you will be required to apply for a new passport from your nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate while in the U.S. '

My PP expires in August and Im travelling in April to the US for a couple of weeks. Assume I can go on the PP I have - a bit nervous about it though.

Yup, no problem.

epassportphoto.com till free afaics..

After you upload and resize your photo, you have to select from various pricing options, nothing free

Use http://www.idphoto4you.com/ instead

• Advertisement

After you upload and resize your photo, you have to select from various pricing options, nothing free

But the website says: "Why pay so much for your photos? Choose our FREE service..."

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

The free option is there, but it is not as obvious as the Pro option.
    There is a grey "No thanks" button on the bottom right of the Print page,
    and clicking on that links to the Free Printing page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭tech

Im off to italy on Saturday for a week, I have just noticed that my passport expries in May 7th 2012, is there some 6 months after arriveing home rule??

tks
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

tech wrote: »
    Im off to italy on Saturday for a week, I have just noticed that my passport expries in May 7th 2012, is there some 6 months after arriveing home rule??

tks
    :cool:

Not for the EU. Enjoy.

I would love to find who is giving out this 6 month rubbish as gospel and give them a stern talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

When I booked holidays outside the EU my travel agent always asked the expiry date of our passports, saying that if it was 6mths or less we might be refused entry.

travel agent
    Sure what do they know?

roundymac wrote: »
    When I booked holidays outside the EU my travel agent always asked the expiry date of our passports, saying that if it was 6mths or less we might be refused entry.
    Depends on the country. There's no blanket rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

The best thing you can do about the 6 month rule/myth is always go on to dfa.ie and check the travel advice list for the country you will be travelling to, it will tell you all you need to know about visas and passports for the country you intend to visit.

• Advertisement

Better again is to contact the embassy of the country concerned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement