Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭splanagan22

Lodged my passport through the an post service on July 24th I was in a rush that day and I misplaced the receipt and tracking number. I'm panicking now because I'm away on holidays on 23rd August. Is there any other way of finding out the status. I've emailed passport office but no reply as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Lodged my passport through the an post service on July 24th I was in a rush that day and I misplaced the receipt and tracking number. I'm panicking now because I'm away on holidays on 23rd August. Is there any other way of finding out the status. I've emailed passport office but no reply as yet.

Go back to the post office and ask for a duplicate receipt, or ask them to check their records for the application number or PX number.

Alternatively, contact @PassportIRL on Twitter.

You could also call the Passport Office - lines are very busy but first thing at 9am and between 3pm and 4pm are best times to ring as its quietest.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Just got this email from LKM: http://view.klm-mail.com/?j=fe921771716c017876&m=fe9615707360037877&ls=fe2e15777c660574751771&l=ff041671746205&s=fe5411717c63037e761c&jb=ffc813&ju=fe5a1276776107747710&r=0&WT.mc_id=L_IE_email_ExactTarget_Newsletter_null_Null_null&WT.trsc=email&WT.i_vid=51977338

€399 to Dubai - which is a good bit cheaper than you'll ever get it with Emirates or Etihad. Pity I can't book this quickly but if there are any other Dubai flight deals in the future please post them here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

BA are doing Dublin to Toronto in the Winter for €380 return - not bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 MicraK10

My applaction says can not be processed does that mean i have to apply fully for the passport again ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

MicraK10 wrote: »
    My applaction says can not be processed does that mean i have to apply fully for the passport again ??

It's been rejected. There's something wrong with the application. You'll get a letter outlining what's wrong. Just do what the letter says.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If you're willing to do a stopover in Istanbul then you can get to Dubai cheap enough. Try flying Turkish Airlines to Istanbul and then linking into the networks of the budget carriers in the Middle East such as AirArabia.com and FlyDubai.com I got there and back a few years ago for about €310 iirc. Of course what I saved was spent with a 3 day stop over in Istanbul but its a fab city that I had wanted to see anyway. Much more interesting than Dubai IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

Hi all :) Quick question....

Travelling on the 18th of September and I need to renew my passport.

If I apply on Monday the 17th this month, through An Post Express, will it arrive by the 18th of September?

bclar12 wrote: »
    Hi all :) Quick question....

Travelling on the 18th of September and I need to renew my passport.

If I apply on Monday the 17th this month, through An Post Express, will it arrive by the 18th of September?

Ya it should renewls take avarage 10 working days if all forms are submitted corectly

• Advertisement

MicraK10 wrote: »
    Ya it should renewls take avarage 10 working days if all forms are submitted corectly

Ah nice one :) Thanks for the reply.

So, there'll be plenty of time then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

bclar12 wrote: »
    Ah nice one :) Thanks for the reply.

So, there'll be plenty of time then?

In theory and in all probability. We can't make any guarantees on here as we don't know the details of your application

athtrasna wrote: »
    In theory and in all probability. We can't make any guarantees on here as we don't know the details of your application

Just a renewal really :)

Nothing more or less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

I need to travel to the UK for a funeral in ten days. My UK passport is out of date but I am entitled to an Irish passport as my Dad is Irish. Would I be able to get an emergency first Irish passport? Would I need the long form of my UK birth certificate? Also would I need proof of deceased relative?
    Or alternatively can I travel with Aer Lingus using my driving licence?
    Any advice appreciated.

I need to travel to the UK for a funeral in ten days. My UK passport is out of date but I am entitled to an Irish passport as my Dad is Irish. Would I be able to get an emergency first Irish passport? Would I need the long form of my UK birth certificate? Also would I need proof of deceased relative?
    Or alternatively can I travel with Aer Lingus using my driving licence?
    Any advice appreciated.

Not a hope of getting an emergency passport without having had an Irish passport previously. It's very unlikely you'd get an Irish passport in 10 days either of its your first one.

Maybe the British embassy can help you. Or maybe get the ferry to the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

If it is feasible go with Aer Lingus who would accept your driving licence.

AGC wrote: »
    If it is feasible go with Aer Lingus who would accept your driving licence.

Do you know if it is feasible. I mean flying with Aer Lingus would suit me and I have a full photo Irish Licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Do you know if it is feasible. I mean flying with Aer Lingus would suit me and I have a full photo Irish Licence.

You'll be fine flying with Aer Lingus on that.

Will a expired drivers lisance be ok for photo i.d cause i have no other form of i.d ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

...but then you'd be stuck in Dubai :) Apart from some gimmicks, there isn't really much to do there. You'd see everything noteworthy within one day IMO.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

N64 wrote: »
    ...but then you'd be stuck in Dubai :) Apart from some gimmicks, there isn't really much to do there. You'd see everything noteworthy within one day IMO.

Absolute and utter rubbish. I've been many times I have friends and family there. It's certainly not for everyone but most think it's a fantastic place - there is loads and loads to do. I do new things every time I go and never get to do everything I want in the time I'm there (usually 12-15 days).

Have you even been?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mag2015

hi there, can you tell me how long it takes more less to renew a passport normally lately.. going away in 2 weeks,applied last week so a bit panicky now..didnt get an express option as somebody told e it doesnt take long..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Mag2015 wrote: »
    hi there, can you tell me how long it takes more less to renew a passport normally lately.. going away in 2 weeks,applied last week so a bit panicky now..didnt get an express option as somebody told e it doesnt take long..

I picked up the form for passport renewal in the post office yesterday and was told they're taking about 15 to 20 days to get back to people now, bit of a delay as there was a big surge in applications over the summer.

Mag2015 wrote: »

Official website says that renewals are taking 10 working days or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I sent a passport application last week. It came back yesterday asking it be submitted from post office express service.
    I went to post office today and it cost €9.50 to send this way, I did not have the letter when I went to the post office so I may have sent it.
    This means instead of passport being €80 it is €89.50.
    It also suggests that there is something wrong with our current postal system if government departments will not allow regular mail be processed.
    I may have made an error but I have the letter from passport office...

I sent a passport application last week. It came back yesterday asking it be submitted from post office express service.
    I went to post office today and it cost €9.50 to send this way, I did not have the letter when I went to the post office so I may have sent it.
    This means instead of passport being €80 it is €89.50.
    It also suggests that there is something wrong with our current postal system if government departments will not allow regular mail be processed.
    I may have made an error but I have the letter from passport office...

The application form notes state that postal applications are no longer accepted and will be returned. Onus is on the applicant to read the notes prior to applying. Passport Office policy is not to accept applications via Ordinary Post because of the risk of applications and documents going missing.

The 9.50 is a handling fee that An Post take for the secure sending of the envelope to the Passport Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 neuc

in dfa website it says 'Nurses' can also witness. [i am new user, unable to post url]
    But passport form doesn't mention 'Nurses'
    any HSE Nurse will do?

Your witness can be a:
    Member of the Garda Síochána
    Member of clergy
    Medical doctor
    Lawyer
    Bank manager/assistant bank manager
    Elected public representative
    Notary public/ commissioner for oaths
    Peace commissioner
    School principal/vice principal
    Accountant
    Teacher
    Dentist
    Vet
    Nurse
    Physiotherapist
    Speech Therapist
    Lecturer
    Credit Union manager
    Pharmacist
    Chartered Engineer

You'll be fine flying with Aer Lingus on that.

Thanks for that ,made it to funeral. No problems at all travelling using driving licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A Garda in your local station will witness it for you, they have to sign the photos anyway so I wouldn't waste time getting someone else. They don't have to personally know you any more, they just have to be satisfied as to your identity so bring something like a driving licence or an employee badge with your photo on it, the more stuff you can bring the better.

This from the DFA website ....

Identification

A Garda at your local Garda station will witness your passport application form; as long as they are satisfied as to your identity and that your four photos are a true likeness of you.

Make sure you bring photo identification with you and be aware that the Garda may ask you for more proof of identification.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/how-to-get-your-application-witnessed/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement