Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 WhitePhantom

Oh my god! That's REAL panic!!

I still can't decide whether to go today or wait and get an appointment for tomorrow!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would go now.

Ok, I've got an appointment for 9.50 tomorrow morning... what time do the passport office close?

If I go now I'll be there at 2pm - is there anything to be gained by doing that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ok, I've got an appointment for 9.50 tomorrow morning... what time do the passport office close?

If I go now I'll be there at 2pm - is there anything to be gained by doing that?

If you have an appointment, go tomorrow. I suggested going today when you didn't have an appointment. I think they shut to the public at about quarter to five or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Hi all,

I'm travelling to France on Saturday and only just discovered that my passport has expired.

I've checked on the passport appointments website and there are no appointments left for today - I see that appointments are made available at 12.30 each day for the following day, and I'm wondering whether I should wait till 12.30 today and hope to get an appointment tomorrow or is there anything to be gained by travelling there today and hoping for the best?

Thanks!

WP.

Go in appointment or not.

Was in there the other morning and in the Q before opening.
    Basically porter came out and said ' those with appointments please go into that room, and those without please form a Q here'

10mins later guy came out with a peice of paper and took names asking when travelling etc. have you proof etc.

then they started to process EVERYONE.

bring in proof and you should be fine.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone! I didn't travel up today - I did all my packing instead in case I'm stuck at the passport office all day tomorrow.

I have proof of travel, but it just shows the number of adults and the number of kids. It has my name and address at the top of the form (Stena line booking) - I hope that's enough to prove the I'm one of the passengers?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Thanks everyone! I didn't travel up today - I did all my packing instead in case I'm stuck at the passport office all day tomorrow.

I have proof of travel, but it just shows the number of adults and the number of kids. It has my name and address at the top of the form (Stena line booking) - I hope that's enough to prove the I'm one of the passengers?!

So long as the name of the passport applicant is on the booking, and the date and time of the ferry departure are also on it, you should be grand.

By the way, expect to pay through the nose for the passport. Think it's €150 all in for the passport plus emergency fee

Yep, €150. A costly mistake!

I got to the passport office, got everything handed in, and will be collecting my new passport at 4pm. Hurray! :-)

So just picked up a copy of house and home and inside there's a voucher for a two week holiday in Turkey for 129 euro per person.
    Its by rsd travel limited. Now they are closed at the moment but I will ring tomorrow.

Has anyone ever seen this before? It just seems way to good to be true, even adding a single supplement of 249 euro, its ridiculously cheap!

What's the catch??

Should be RSD travel in title, cant edit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭dogcat

Is Turkey, especially Southern Turkey that safe at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dottyireland

Hi,

I need some advice, I am currently applying for my first passport I have all the documents signed and witnessed and everything sorted but I have just read that I will also need to supply photo identification certified by the person who witnessed my passport photos etc. My question is would it be possible to send my actual drivers license with my application to save me from having to redo my application Im due to fly out the end of September so I need my application to go smoothly any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

My father-in-law is a recently naturalised Irish citizen. His application for his first Irish passport is under way. Submitted via passport express. Tracking info says:

Received on 24/07/2015
    Target Issue Date: 14/08/2015

Problem is, he's flying on 13/08. Is there any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Hi,

I need some advice, I am currently applying for my first passport I have all the documents signed and witnessed and everything sorted but I have just read that I will also need to supply photo identification certified by the person who witnessed my passport photos etc. My question is would it be possible to send my actual drivers license with my application to save me from having to redo my application Im due to fly out the end of September so I need my application to go smoothly any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards.

Just get the licence certified as a true copy at your garda station.

You can submit the licence but you shouldn't be driving around without one.

My father-in-law is a recently naturalised Irish citizen. His application for his first Irish passport is under way. Submitted via passport express. Tracking info says:

Received on 24/07/2015
    Target Issue Date: 14/08/2015

Problem is, he's flying on 13/08. Is there any chance?

First time naturalised passports can take the longest of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dottyireland

Just get the licence certified as a true copy at your garda station.

You can submit the licence but you shouldn't be driving around without one.

Thanks for quick reply its greatly appreciated,

My only problem is that on the dfa website it states that my identification needs to be certified by the same person that certified my passport photo and application form this being a garda in my local station im afraid because I hear that the garda are sometimes refusing to certifie identification, but if I do go try to get it certified should I bring a photocopy or is there something else ?

Thanks for quick reply its greatly appreciated,

My only problem is that on the dfa website it states that my identification needs to be certified by the same person that certified my passport photo and application form this being a garda in my local station im afraid because I hear that the garda are sometimes refusing to certifie identification, but if I do go try to get it certified should I bring a photocopy or is there something else ?

Call the station and ask when that particular guard is working again and go down to them. If it's an Irish licence there shouldn't be a problem with them certifying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Call the station and ask when that particular guard is working again and go down to them. If it's an Irish licence there shouldn't be a problem with them certifying it.

I do wonder whether anyone official ever reviews Garda procedures; in relation to documents, photocopies etc, each Garda I have spoken with us very clear that they only witness certification by the applicant. Their instructions are very clear as they are not individually document experts, they will witness that the presenter certifies it to be a true copy but they will not certify it to be a true copy. A distinction with significant difference.

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    I do wonder whether anyone official ever reviews Garda procedures; in relation to documents, photocopies etc, each Garda I have spoken with us very clear that they only witness certification by the applicant. Their instructions are very clear as they are not individually document experts, they will witness that the presenter certifies it to be a true copy but they will not certify it to be a true copy. A distinction with significant difference.

The applicant says something along the lines I certify this to be a true copy and the guards stamp it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The applicant says something along the lines I certify this to be a true copy and the guards stamp it.

The applicant must sign the certification, ie it's a self certification. The Garda witnesses the signature of the certified. As a proof of document, it is entirely useless. The only use it would be is if the witness was making a false certification then the Garda has effectively recorded himself witnessing the certification. In the unlikely event of a discovery, the Garda could give evidence.

It is of no value whatsoever in reducing identity fraud or false passport applications. It is satisfying to see that the absent if robust anti fraud procedures is similar across many such governmental organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dianadiana

HI,

I applied for passport for my daughter on 8th July, passport application is at stage 3 of 6 at the moment and target issue date is 29th which is today. We have flights booked for 4th August and I am worried that I won't receive passport by then. Customer service people are useless as they can't say when passport will be ready. Could anyone suggest whether I can go up to the passport office and wait till they finish processing passport application and collect passport from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

First time naturalised passports can take the longest of all.

You're probably right (this is Ireland). But I don't understand why. After all, such applications are the only ones whereby absolute proof of Irish nationality is enclosed with the application. If anything, this should speed up the process as any doubt as to the applicant's right to an Irish passport is removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

dianadiana wrote: »
    HI,

I applied for passport for my daughter on 8th July, passport application is at stage 3 of 6 at the moment and target issue date is 29th which is today. We have flights booked for 4th August and I am worried that I won't receive passport by then. Customer service people are useless as they can't say when passport will be ready. Could anyone suggest whether I can go up to the passport office and wait till they finish processing passport application and collect passport from there?

I think you should go to passport office on Friday if the post has not arrived tomorrow . Get someone to stay your house in case the post arrive , to save your trip up . Very frustrating , happened to me twice , lesson learned , I apply three months before the trip . Best of luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 15 llebpmac

Flying to new York next week but I have a crack across my picture on my passport . Do I need a new one? New e passport btw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

HI,

Have been waiting on the passport for my daughter for a month now, today the tracker just changed to say stage 3 and it has an expected issue date of 5th August.
    This is being done via the London Embassy which may be causing some delay, but I did think it amusing that the address for Irish Passports to be posted to in London is on Cromwell Road. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

llebpmac wrote: »
    Flying to new York next week but I have a crack across my picture on my passport . Do I need a new one? New e passport btw

I think so, I think they have to be immaculate. I know for J1s and stuff that's definitely the case.

HI,

Have you sent them proof of travel?

Also if it's a first time application for your daughter it may run over the target issue date as they need to establish that your daughter is an Irish citizen, and therefore entitled to an Irish passport.

• Advertisement

llebpmac wrote: »

Even if it's only a small crack I wouldn't risk it, especially for the States. Not saying they won't let you in to the US, but personally I wouldn't take that risk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement