Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I know! I have to find a white background to stand in front of to take a feckin' cheesy selfie with my phone - and that's going to be on my passport card for all ID and EU travel purposes? Jesus lads, would you not use the saved passport (book) photo by default, and then give folks the option to take a selfie instead, if they really feel they must? :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Went through the application and managed to get it processed,

luckily I had a spare passport photo I got for my driving licence, so scanned it up and it was accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Would the card not be at risk of getting lost in the post due to the strike action? The passport office have said that An Post will hand sort passport express but said nothing about normal passports or the passport cards. They have warned people not to post things because they will be "irretrievable".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

Would the card not be at risk of getting lost in the post due to the strike action? The passport office have said that An Post will hand sort passport express but said nothing about normal passports or the passport cards. They have warned people not to post things because they will be "irretrievable".

The strike has been lifted as of an hour ago, so it shouldn't affect the issuing of the cards, I assume if it did, like with the passports they would have contacted the holders and arranged collection of them

cdsb46 wrote: »
    The strike has been lifted as of an hour ago, so it shouldn't affect the issuing of the cards, I assume if it did, like with the passports they would have contacted the holders and arranged collection of them

The service level for issuing cards is 20 working days anyway, so they would have been able to wait for the postal strike to finish before posting them out. It's academic now anyway as the postal strike is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

What's to stop someone else using my details and uploading their selfie?

What's to stop someone else using my details and uploading their selfie?

There's checks and balances in place to avoid this. Passport Office already have your photo on their database so they can match the submitted photo with the photo they already have on their database.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

The card is very sleek and at the same size as your debit/credit cards will be a useful addition to your ID.

• Advertisement

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    The card is very sleek and at the same size as your debit/credit cards will be a useful addition to your ID.

It will be handy for Irish citizens resident on the continent, where people are required to produce ID on request. Handier to carry around than a passport.

Likewise it will be handy for young adults going on the tear - hopefully it will reduce the risk of passports getting lost/stolen.

It will also come in handy for business travelers whose primary passports are usually tied up at Embassies for visa applications.

It's a shame they will only be accepted around Europe. Hopefully Foreign Affairs can make some sort of reciprocal arrangement with countries outside of the EU/EEA. It would be handy if one could travel to the States with the passport card, for example.

Here's something else weird about these passport card applications..

I applied for one each in respect of myself and my wife. Both of us resident in the UK. I applied for mine first, using the iOS app, and was charged €40 (€35 fee + €5 for international postage), as expected. A few minutes later I did my wife's application on the computer, only this time I was charged only €35.

I'm sure the system's not intelligent enough to know that this second application is going to the same address as a recent application, so let's put both in the same envelope and charge these lads only one lot of postage.. more likely a glitch and international applications on the website aren't, for some reason, being charged the €5 postage fee. Or maybe it was just a one-off..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Can I go to my local passport office;ie Cork, and make an application? I'm not great on scanning.:o

Here's something else weird about these passport card applications..

I applied for one each in respect of myself and my wife. Both of us resident in the UK. I applied for mine first, using the iOS app, and was charged €40 (€35 fee + €5 for international postage), as expected. A few minutes later I did my wife's application on the computer, only this time I was charged only €35.

I'm sure the system's not intelligent enough to know that this second application is going to the same address as a recent application, so let's put both in the same envelope and charge these lads only one lot of postage.. more likely a glitch and international applications on the website aren't, for some reason, being charged the €5 postage fee. Or maybe it was just a one-off..

When you applied for your wife's card, did you put down an address in the island of Ireland?

fxotoole wrote: »
    When you applied for your wife's card, did you put down an address in the island of Ireland?

No. Same GB address as my mine. We live together.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

fxotoole wrote: »
    It would be handy if one could travel to the States with the passport card, for example.

I can't see that ever happening for the US as it is important for all law enforcement organisations to be able to identify immigration status which would be impossible without the relevant entry stamp/visa. Remember the federal/decentralised nature of the US (town, county, state and federal) means that many community cops won't have easy access to databases.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 brayshizzle

wonder what the turn around time will be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I assume most people here will have both the normal 10 year paper passport and this new card? Bit of a pain with the different time frames, but I can see the advantages of using the card only for Euro travel.

For me, my normal passport expires in 8 months, so I won't be getting the card until next year. It'd be handy if by then, they'd have the process a bit more streamlined in that you could apply for a new passport and add the card as an optional extra (at extra expense, obviously), so no need to apply separately.

• Advertisement

corblimey wrote: »
    It'd be handy if by then, they'd have the process a bit more streamlined in that you could apply for a new passport and add the card as an optional extra (at extra expense, obviously), so no need to apply separately.

Doubt that will ever happen. You need the passport number of your current Irish passport in order to apply for a card. You won't get the passport number until you open the envelope containing your new passport, so you won't be able to apply for a passport card until that point.

corblimey wrote: »
    I assume most people here will have both the normal 10 year paper passport and this new card? Bit of a pain with the different time frames, but I can see the advantages of using the card only for Euro travel.

For me, my normal passport expires in 8 months, so I won't be getting the card until next year. It'd be handy if by then, they'd have the process a bit more streamlined in that you could apply for a new passport and add the card as an optional extra (at extra expense, obviously), so no need to apply separately.

8 Months from now is June, I'd advise you renew your passport during the low season so Dec-Feb that way you can get the card quicker than your thought

cdsb46 wrote: »
    8 Months from now is June, I'd advise you renew your passport during the low season so Dec-Feb that way you can get the card quicker than your thought

I concur. If you apply now, you'll get your passport back in less than 10 working days, as opposed to closer to 15 working days during the middle of the summer season.

700 applications in the first hour of being launched i heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

One third of all applications coming from abroad too.

Also a common misconception is you cannot renew your regular passport until the old one expires. You can renew at any time. Preferably during the winter.

700 applications in the first hour of being launched i heard.

700 by 15.30 on Monday is what I heard.

2500 in the first 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Also a common misconception is you cannot renew your regular passport until the old one expires. You can renew at any time. Preferably during the winter.

Mine is up in June next year and I was planning on renewing it sometime between February and April. Is this a good time? It's a renewal with a name change to my married name.

Mine is up in June next year and I was planning on renewing it sometime between February and April. Is this a good time? It's a renewal with a name change to my married name.

I would advice go slightly earlier maybe between jan and feb, this year things started to get busy again around the end of feb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 brayshizzle

this whole passport card, will it be using up resources that will cause delays in the normal passport applications ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement