Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave McSavage..making a tool of himself as usual.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Degsy wrote: »
    sweetyt wrote: »

Eh..i think you need to sit down and loosen your shirt collar a bit.

My only contention is that McSavage isnt funny regardless of the subject matter.

I posted that link because it described the awkwardness of the interviewer and the fact that he cut mcsavage off after he died on his arse.

I'm not here to debate peadophiles or rapists or priests or whatever but to point out that dave Mcsavage is a fraud who has persuaded RTE he's a "comedian" despite evidence to the contrary.

The thread is called "Dave McSavage making atool out of himself as usual" NOT "Rapists,blah blah peados..blah blah"
    ...but he's not a fraud...he had one of the the best shows on rte last year. THe only person who died on his arse was Brendan o connor.
    Let's just run through some of the comedy that the saturday night show has given us:
    *Paddy Courtney
    *That guy from knob Nation
    that's enough......surely some of your bile should be directed at those comedians who actually have certificates in unfunnyness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

...but he's not a fraud...he had one of the the best shows on rte last year. THe only person who died on his arse was Brendan o connor.

And in fairness to RTE, they've eliminated that show from their programming schedule.

Out of interest, does anyone have a link to ratings for "The Savage Eye"?
    Might be useful for people to find out exactly what percentage of the Irish audience/ how many people are watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sweetyt

Eh..i think you need to sit down and loosen your shirt collar a bit.

My only contention is that McSavage isnt funny regardless of the subject matter.

I posted that link because it described the awkwardness of the interviewer and the fact that he cut mcsavage off after he died on his arse.

I'm not here to debate peadophiles or rapists or priests or whatever but to point out that dave Mcsavage is a fraud who has persuaded RTE he's a "comedian" despite evidence to the contrary.

The thread is called "Dave McSavage making atool out of himself as usual" NOT "Rapists,blah blah peados..blah blah"

Your initial Post and there after clearly implied more than Dave McSavage making a tool out of himself. In fact it STATED more than that. And my perception of what you wrote is you attacking someone for mocking pervert priests.

The mere fact that you would so passionately talk about your dislike for McSavage as if he's a plague on society and then turn around and post "Rapists,blah blah peados..blah blah" just goes to show how warpt your priorities are and further strengthens my point that people like you are what's wrong with the country.
    To reiterate- you are a fool.

And in fairness to RTE, they've eliminated that show from their programming schedule.

Might be useful for people to find out exactly what percentage of the Irish audience/ how many people are watching it.
    Mcsavage actually answered that question on the show, he said the show was well received by critics and people he has spoken to, however that did not translate into ratings. He mentioned a figure of 100,000 viewers.

I must admit, I heard of the show through word of mouth, as i didn't think i liked mcsavage....I think if he repeats the quality for the NEXT serious he will get a decent following. Instant ratings mean nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

It seems rape is never far from McSavage's mind.

• Advertisement

If anyone else thinks I'm going off point- read the opening post to this thread.
    I'm exactly on point.

You are an idiot.

Mcsavage actually answered that question on the show, he said the show was well received by critics and people he has spoken to, however that did not translate into ratings. He mentioned a figure of 100,000 viewers.

If 100,000 viewers are watching his show, he's doing extremely well - and would have a considerable portion of the viewing public watching. 100,000 people watching would be considered quite a large market share, in Irish terms.

However, based on the fact he "answered" the question himself, it's not really possible to determine whether that's fact or not. RTE get daily figures for their ratings, as every other Irish TV station does, however, I'm not sure if those figures are available to the public...

Instant ratings mean nothing.

I agree partially. Obviously, when a new programme is starting up, it's important to get people to watch, to get high ratings, but even more important is to keep that audience watching and hold their interest.

A few episodes in to a series, it's possible to indicate how well the programme is doing in comparison to what's scheduled on other networks, whether it's living up to or failing to reach expections and whether it's worth keeping for another season, so really, ratings are always important - especially to keep advertisers interested and create revenue.

These days at a comedy show if you are nattering during a performance a such a threat is probabaly getting of lightly, if you read to the bottom it actually states that the incident was actually the most entertaining of the night. ( anight of new irish comedy talent and mcsavage)
    I went to see Rhod Gilbert the other night and he called a woman "stale eggs" and the girl he was buzzing off in the crowd had just divorced her violent ex husband and he made light of it.....looks bad when it's written out but the whole of vicar st was in tears laughing!

I'm not saying Mcsavage is the funniest man around, i'm just pointing out that everything you have said so far is wrong.

I agree partially. Obviously, when a new programme is starting up, it's important to get people to watch, to get high ratings, but even more important is to keep that audience watching and hold their interest.

A few episodes in to a series, it's possible to indicate how well the programme is doing in comparison to what's scheduled on other networks, whether it's living up to or failing to reach expections and whether it's worth keeping

The proof of the pudding will be in the watching..the more people who tune in the more likely they are to make more series of it..BUT..if the RTE people are getting an inordinate amount of complaints from viewers about contend being innapropriate or whatever they simly wont keep the show running regardless of viewing figures.
    Mcsavage and his "humour" seems to be a highly niche audience and is unlikely to find favour with as many as 100,000 people at a time regardless of what he himself might say.

• Advertisement

I work in a media related job- and a number of news papers published the ratings of the savage eye at the time, I remember one article saying the ratings had doubled from week one to the final week

If 100,000 viewers are watching his show, he's doing extremely well - and would have a considerable portion of the viewing public watching. 100,000 people watching would be considered quite a large market share, in Irish terms.

However, based on the fact he "answered" the question himself, it's not really possible to determine whether that's fact or not. RTE get daily figures for their ratings, as every other Irish TV station does, however, I'm not sure if those figures are available to the public...

A few episodes in to a series, it's possible to indicate how well the programme is doing in comparison to what's scheduled on other networks, whether it's living up to or failing to reach expections and whether it's worth keeping for another season, so really, ratings are always important - especially to keep advertisers interested and create revenue.
    It is my personal opinion that "the savage eye" catered for the sense of humour of enough of the population, to warrent it's place on a state broadcast TV station. I also think it will grow. Same goes goes for "your bad self", which seems to be growing in stature from youtube, from when it aired first.
    In fact, those two shows made me feel ok about paying my tv licence this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That woudn't mean anything. Pat Kenny doing the Late Late always got very good ratings, but it was still ****e.

Their are funnier, more technically observant and wittier comedians out there than McSavage, judging by the youtube clips I've seen.

Just happy I live somwhere where I''m unlikely to come across him by accident :D

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

BUT..if the RTE people are getting an inordinate amount of complaints from viewers about contend being innapropriate or whatever they simly wont keep the show running regardless of viewing figures.

Not neccessarily the case. Sometimes, complaints from the media or viewers do wonders for ratings.
    The more something is publicised (whether it be in a negative or positive light) the more curious people will be to tune in.

Think of an example like Play TV - It was given heaps of publicity on the radio, in newspapers and that lead to it being brought to the attention of a huge number of people, meaning more people were available to play the game and the company in charge of it made a fortune.

Obviously, TV3 dropped it from their infomercial schedule (which I'm personally glad for) but before it was gotten rid of it, it was making a small fortune, based on the amount of publicity it recieved from the media, the majority of that publicity being negative and based on complaints.

I work in a media related job- and a number of news papers published the ratings of the savage eye at the time, I remember one article saying the ratings had doubled from week one to the final week

The only reliable source for ratings is from the stations themselves and they get e-mailed results of the previous day's ratings every morning.
    Newspapers have a habit of exaggerating - it makes for more interesting reading but in some cases, it does vary from the truth.
    It is my personal opinion that "the savage eye" catered for the sense of humour of enough of the population, to warrent it's place on a state broadcast TV station. I also think it will grow.

Time will tell, I suppose.
    In fairness, RTE took a chance on McSavage because in TV terms, he was pretty much a newbie and the format of the show was relatively fresh. In a recession where there's little money available to fund home-produced programming, that was some what of a brave move, IMO.

There's a few way to tell how successful the programme's been, aside from public opinion:

1) ratings
    2) cost of advertising during the ad breaks of the show
    3) section of the market share the programme's getting
    4) number of column inches and radio airplay the show's recieved

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    That woudn't mean anything. Pat Kenny doing the Late Late always got very good ratings, but it was still ****e.

"****e" is your opinion though (and mine ;)) but the important thing for a TV station like RTE is the amount of people watching and the market share.

If a large portion of people are watching the show, it's worth their while keeping it and appealing to that sector of the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Degs,

was it you that Dave McSavage said he was going to beat up on boards before?

The proof of the pudding will be in the watching..the more people who tune in the more likely they are to make more series of it..BUT..if the RTE people are getting an inordinate amount of complaints from viewers about contend being innapropriate or whatever they simly wont keep the show running regardless of viewing figures.
    Mcsavage and his "humour" seems to be a highly niche audience and is unlikely to find favour with as many as 100,000 people at a time regardless of what he himself might say.

It wasn't niche though...Ireland is a country that has a lot of problems and our psyche has suffered from ravages of famine, occupation, the church, and alcohol. The savage eye was one of the first to explain the affects of this on our present day society. Then add the obession with property and greed over the last few years and it made for great TV. What was also very clever was interspersing the comedy with a series of experts (property markerteers etc) and random(or perhaps actors) people on the street. It was a lot more than a comedy show.

Off the top of my head random highlights of the show.
    *The re-occuring priest, stealing kids
    *The "robinson crusoe" character trapped in ghost housing estate in monasterevin.
    *The stereotype politicians
    *Mary Robinson head nodding to "the specials" and "the undertones"
    *sex and the city with the girl from the midlands
    *Joe duffy having an orgasm listening to the pain of his callers
    *Turf
    *"salins ....a river runs through it"

Not to everyones taste but then again i'm sure the viewers who enjoyed think some of the popular programmes on rte are absolute drivel.

I just checked out RTE's top 20 shows from last year and they are all ****...but that is a personal opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

You are an idiot.

Ah you'll never win a Heart of Gold award with that attitude.

Banned

"****e" is your opinion though (and mine ;)) but the important thing for a TV station like RTE is the amount of people watching and the market share.

If a large portion of people are watching the show, it's worth their while keeping it and appealing to that sector of the market.
    No i would disagree, a portion of RTE's programming should be to keep the people happy that get little satisfaction from the bigger shows. We all pay the licence so it's unfair to make decisions purely on large ratings.

Not neccessarily the case. Sometimes, complaints from the media or viewers do wonders for ratings.
    The more something is publicised (whether it be in a negative or positive light) the more curious people will be to tune in.

Think of an example like Play TV - It was given heaps of publicity on the radio, in newspapers and that lead to it being brought to the attention of a huge number of people, meaning more people were available to play the game and the company in charge of it made a fortune.

Obviously, TV3 dropped it from their infomercial schedule (which I'm personally glad for) but before it was gotten rid of it, it was making a small fortune, based on the amount of publicity it recieved from the media, the majority of that publicity being negative and based on complaints.

The only reliable source for ratings is from the stations themselves and they get e-mailed results of the previous day's ratings every morning.
    Newspapers have a habit of exaggerating - it makes for more interesting reading but in some cases, it does vary from the truth.

Time will tell, I suppose.
    In fairness, RTE took a chance on McSavage because in TV terms, he was pretty much a newbie and the format of the show was relatively fresh. In a recession where there's little money available to fund home-produced programming, that was some what of a brave move, IMO.

There's a few way to tell how successful the programme's been, aside from public opinion:

1) ratings
    2) cost of advertising during the ad breaks of the show
    3) section of the market share the programme's getting
    4) number of column inches and radio airplay the show's recieved
    I must add that the savage eye and "your bad self" have gained popularity since they aired on tv....I know youtube cannot count in this context, but it will add to the popularity of any future series. ( i guess!)

• Advertisement

No i would disagree, a portion of RTE's programming should be to keep the people happy that get little satisfaction from the bigger shows. We all pay the licence so it's unfair to make decisions purely on large ratings.

Well, ratings indicate the amount of interest people have in a show.
    IE. if there's 5,000 people watching, that would be considered little interest.
    25,000 would be moderate.
    45,000 would indicate the show's doing quite well. (Of course, this would depend on the time of day and the amount of people watching TV, as a whole. The market share is more important than ratings, ratings are relative.)

RTE, as the nation's broadcaster, does have an obligation to have a programming schedule that appeals to everyone though. So obviously, like you mentioned there are some programmes featured "to keep the people happy", rather than to get large ratings and pull in large advertising revenue.
    I must add that the savage eye and "your bad self" have gained popularity since they aired on tv....I know youtube cannot count in this context, but it will add to the popularity of any future series. ( i guess!)

You're right there. Viral media and online content definitely adds to the popularity of a series. In this day and age, it's vitally important (for creating a buzz around a programme, creating publicity)
    Glee on TV3 has done really well, largely based on the fact Glee "spoilers" and episodes were available online prior to the episode airing in Ireland. Online content drummed up interest.

Well, ratings indicate the amount of interest people have in a show.
    IE. if there's 5,000 people watching, that would be considered little interest.
    25,000 would be moderate.
    45,000 would indicate the show's doing quite well. (Of course, this would depend on the time of day and the amount of people watching TV, as a whole. The market share is more important than ratings, ratings are relative.)

RTE, as the nation's broadcaster, does have an obligation to have a programming schedule that appeals to everyone though. So obviously, like you mentioned there are some programmes featured "to keep the people happy", rather than to get large ratings and pull in large advertising revenue.
    So i guess The savage eye is justified to have it's place on tv with it's alledged decent ratings and Desgsy needs to stop speaking for the nation!

Degs,

was it you that Dave McSavage said he was going to beat up on boards before?

Eh..."beat up"??
    Have you ever met the bloke?
    He's a yellow belly who couldnt knock snow off a rope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

I have a strong crush on David >Where can i meet him as i will be back in Ireland for the first half of May ?
    Does he like Lady Boys ?,as i will have my Ladyboy friend with me ? .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i saw the show on saturday night and i remember turning to my father in law when mcsavage was introduced, i was thinking of the savage eye at the time when i said "this guy does be fair funny", but as i watched him on the show, the interview and mcsavages demeanour made me feel increasingly cringey.

his constant looking to the audience for a reaction, (for attention im sure he wanted someone to stand up and shout "gobshíte!", but he pretended he felt "oh why arent they laughing hysterically at me? im funny arent i? this is why i have low self esteem, daddy issues, and im an alcoholic, cuz nobody lurves me"...

he came across as a pretentiously neurotic narcissist, desperate to garner attention for himself, knowing full well that paper never refused ink. watching him on the show just he just irritated me more than anything else, his constantly trying to bring up priests and his false "oh im sorry, but i was just", no david, you werent "just" anything, you were raking up again a dead topic thats been done to death in the meeja already! thats why ME personally, i couldn't liten to him drivel on any more. he was an embarrassing representation of irish comedy in front of international high profile guests.

i was glad when BOC pointed out to him that there were people ot there that were affected by clergy abuse and that his making light of it on national television was unnecessary. for that much at least yes, i do applaud BOC for stepping outside his "im a bollíx" persona having some bit of tact!

genuine comedians can do self depreciation well, and can make great interviewees, like david walliams for example, constantly taking the píss out of his homosexual overtures, and comedian presenters like graham norton and alan carr disarm their guests using self depreciation to great effect, but the likes of mcsavage are too egocentric and self obsessed to realise that they need to be able to take the píss out of themselves and be able to take a slagging and learn to laugh at themselves first before they think they are entitled to take the píss out of anyone else or any other subject matter!

ps. went to a tommy tiernan show in UL a couple of years back, couldnt understand a word, he leapt around the stage, fair enough he was full of energy but i reckon he'd make more money off writing a dictionary than he makes off his DVD's. because i couldnt understand a word, i just didnt get any of the jokes. my friend beside me however was in knots laughing! i'd love to go see des bishop in concert actually when he's not off on one of his crusades!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

David lovey some of us **** at your presence .You are sex on a stick .

anto2 wrote: »
    I have a strong crush on David >Where can i meet him as i will be back in Ireland for the first half of May ?
    Does he like Lady Boys ?,as i will have my Ladyboy friend with me ? .

My advice is go to RTE and stand in the reception area, demanding to speak to him ... That'll definitely get his attention! :D

xsiborg wrote: »
    i saw the show on saturday night and i remember turning to my father in law when mcsavage was introduced, i was thinking of the savage eye at the time when i said "this guy does be fair funny", but as i watched him on the show, the interview and mcsavages demeanour made me feel increasingly cringey.

his constant looking to the audience for a reaction, (for attention im sure he wanted someone to stand up and shout "gobshíte!", but he pretended he felt "oh why arent they laughing hysterically at me? im funny arent i? this is why i have low self esteem, daddy issues, and im an alcoholic, cuz nobody lurves me"...

he came across as a pretentiously neurotic narcissist, desperate to garner attention for himself, knowing full well that paper never refused ink. watching him on the show just he just irritated me more than anything else, his constantly trying to bring up priests and his false "oh im sorry, but i was just", no david, you werent "just" anything, you were raking up again a dead topic thats been done to death in the meeja already! thats why ME personally, i couldn't liten to him drivel on any more. he was an embarrassing representation of irish comedy in front of international high profile guests.

i was glad when BOC pointed out to him that there were people ot there that were affected by clergy abuse and that his making light of it on national television was unnecessary. for that much at least yes, i do applaud BOC for stepping outside his "im a bollíx" persona having some bit of tact!

genuine comedians can do self depreciation well, and can make great interviewees, like david walliams for example, constantly taking the píss out of his homosexual overtures, and comedian presenters like graham norton and alan carr disarm their guests using self depreciation to great effect, but the likes of mcsavage are too egocentric and self obsessed to realise that they need to be able to take the píss out of themselves and be able to take a slagging and learn to laugh at themselves first before they think they are entitled to take the píss out of anyone else or any other subject matter!

ps. went to a tommy tiernan show in UL a couple of years back, couldnt understand a word, he leapt around the stage, fair enough he was full of energy but i reckon he'd make more money off writing a dictionary than he makes off his DVD's. because i couldnt understand a word, i just didnt get any of the jokes. my friend beside me however was in knots laughing! i'd love to go see des bishop in concert actually when he's not off on one of his crusades!
    THe thing is though, and i can picture the awkward moment after telling your father in law that "this is going to be brilliant" sort of thing, but RTE and brendan o connor could not have expected anything else....That is what mcsavage is like, and to be honest i thought he was set up. It made me sick to see BOC getting all moral all of a suddent as if Mcsavage did something unexpected. As for the high profile guests....Carol vorderman was laughing her head off, Max Clifford is satan incarnate and those two irish twats can go and die in a lot of pain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

and to be honest i thought he was set up

ah come on, mcsavage is media savvy enough to know if, or when theres the potential to be set up, cue his more than obvious "faux facepalm" reaction when BOC brought up was it his father or his alcoholism (cant remember):

"i told you not to bring this up", and then he proceeded to drone on incoherently about it for the next what seemed like an eternity!
    Carol vorderman was laughing her head off

carol voderman IS a highly intelligent woman, unlike DMS, who only THINKS he is... highly intelligent that is, not that he thinks he's a woman, but watch this space, god only knows what he'll come out with next in his inept cries for attention; (daddy never hugged me) but the point being that carol knows that the camera is on her and that to show her revulsion for his ineptitude is giving him exactly what he wants.
    Max Clifford is satan incarnate...

max clifford is high profile, whether you like it or not, and is well respected in the celebrity world as he can make or break careers. he represented catatonic kitten cokehead catona in her media dealings and even HE wouldnt touch mcsavage with a forty foot barge pole covered in shíte!
    and those two irish twats can go and die in a lot of pain...

missed the interview with these two shellebrities but just based on their appearance, i thought the woman should go back and have a serious chat with her plastic surgeon, and the guy could do with a serious chat with his dentist!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Reflector

The Savage eye was brilliant, anyone know where I can get it on DVD.

He can be a bit offensive, but thats his thing, shock comedy.
    I remember he said some really bad things to some chinese students one day in Temple bar. Was a bit cringey.

Advertisement