Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave McSavage..making a tool of himself as usual.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

jiltloop wrote: »
    The Savage eye I thought was quite funny, bit hit and miss but really funny in parts. He does a great Joe Duffy but his Mary Robinson impression is brilliant.
    I think people need to cop on a bit and stop being so PC, his comments weren't funny but they certainly weren't in any way offensive. If you start to get offended so easily maybe you should lock yourself up in a media proof room so no ones bad little words can cause you distress.

Don't forget Nick in the cage!

And I loved the Oral tradition in Irreland

The various politicians were good as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Degsy wrote: »
    Who is Tommy Tiernan and Gerry Ryan related to then?

Tommy Tiernan USED to be funny...something McSavage has never achieved and is never likely to.

Gerry Ryan went to school with and was best mates with Charlie Haugheys sons and Charlie got him the job in 2FM.

Funny also how McSavage got his show just when his cousin Tubbs got the late late......RTE is rife with nepothism to be honest !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Dudess wrote: »
    So... Who's this David McSavage guy?

This guy!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpiYJ3ePRnI&feature=related
    the glamour!!

Tommy Tiernan USED to be funny...something McSavage has never achieved and is never likely to.

Gerry Ryan went to school with and was best mates with Charlie Haugheys sons and Charlie got him the job in 2FM.

Funny also how McSavage got his show just when his cousin Tubbs got the late late......RTE is rife with nepothism to be honest !

too easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

Is this true? It's very believable regardless!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

http://www.eoinbutler.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/gerry-ryan1.jpg

This guy sailed through life by virtue of knowing the right people, just look at him. He just doesn't give a fúck about you, me or anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Folks I've good news, I've found thousands of sense of humours wondering around looking for their owners. So come and collect yours!! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uC8LSV-j2g

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is this true? It's very believable regardless!

Is it true that Gerry and Haugheys son were best friends. Last time I heard him he was on one call empathising with some one who'd lost her job telling her about his impoverished upbringing .Twenty mins later was regailing the nation with tales of how he spent nearly every weekend staying over with the Haugheys at their mansion in Kinsealy as a child. About how they'd send the big posh car for him and his brother on Friday evenings and drop them off on Sundays.

I don't know if there's been any suggestion that he got the RTE job because of his connections there but lets face it, it didnt hurt his chances! It definitely wasn't talent that landed good old "G Ryan" in a career in media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Amazing what passes for humour these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I thought the interview was highly entertaining, particularly for anyone who does not appreciate the comedic stylings of McSavage. He completely bombed on the show. The panic on his face at the end as he struggled to attempt to recast himself in a less insensitive, idiotic light was priceless. More so though was the fact that Brendan O Connor thought it was a good idea to quieten him down by addressing this in a sincere way by saying something to the effect of "look I know you're worried because you don't think you were funny tonight but it's ok. You were funny err yes very funny.Don't worry".

It was real car crash TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think people are confusing the issue between being offended by what he said and being horrified that such a deeply unfunny man is allowed to parade around on national television masquarading as a comedian.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

being horrified that such a deeply unfunny man is allowed to parade around on national television masquarading as a comedian.

This I agree with, i couldn't give a flying fcuk what sort of guff he comes out with

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

This I agree with, i couldn't give a flying fcuk what sort of guff he comes out with

But WHY IS HE ON THE TELLY???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Now that is one of Lifes Great Mysteries.

See also;
    -Higgins, Maeve
    -Byrne, Jason
    -Lynch, Katherine

I guess becuase his tv show was critically acclaimed? F** all on RTE is critically acclaimed so when something does get the acclaim i guess it goes on tv?

I guess becuase his tv show was critically acclaimed? F** all on RTE is critically acclaimed so when something does get the acclaim i guess it goes on tv?

"Critically acclaimed"??
    By whom exactly?Anybody with a shred oif intelligence thinks his show's a load of shiite and he's a cretin.
    That doesnt answer the question though as he was regularly trotted out on telly long before he had his own show.
    Who makes these decisions?It cant be the viewers or Gerry Ryan would never do a days television again.

Now that is one of Lifes Great Mysteries.

See also;
    -Higgins, Maeve
    -Byrne, Jason
    -Lynch, Katherine

`Also;
    -Ryan,Gerry
    -Seoige,Crookedface
    etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Another extract from the on going reality show 'Redirected Anger' -
    "Critically acclaimed"??
    By whom exactly?Anybody with a shred oif intelligence thinks his show's a load of shiite and he's a cretin.

Not that you'd generalise or anything.

Nodin wrote: »
    Another extract from the on going reality show 'Redirected Anger' -

Not that you'd generalise or anything.

Link?

• Advertisement

They prove what exactly?

Generalisations and re-directed anger.

"Critically acclaimed"??
    That doesnt answer the question though as he was regularly trotted out on telly long before he had his own show.
    Who makes these decisions?It cant be the viewers or Gerry Ryan would never do a days television again.
    From my own experience i know lots of people who enjoyed the savage eye, in fact many belly laughs were had in my own house at the show, and even recorded it and watched it again....granted not every sketch worked but most are hilarious. You say we haven't a shred of intelligence? I can't say that about you as my limited intelligence is sufficient enough to know that I could not possibly know that.
    This year I think RTE have made some great progress. I would be the first to give out if they were going backwards like they were when they had money, but this past year i think they have done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

chilly wrote: »
    I thought the interview was highly entertaining, particularly for anyone who does not appreciate the comedic stylings of McSavage. He completely bombed on the show. The panic on his face at the end as he struggled to attempt to recast himself in a less insensitive, idiotic light was priceless. More so though was the fact that Brendan O Connor thought it was a good idea to quieten him down by addressing this in a sincere way by saying something to the effect of "look I know you're worried because you don't think you were funny tonight but it's ok. You were funny err yes very funny.Don't worry".

It was real car crash TV.

Yeah but part of what makes it car crash tv is the reaction of the presenter and the audience to the guest. If it hadnt been a typical conservative Irish chatshow audience and if it hadnt been brendan o connor tryin to defuse what he thought was a situation that was gettin too controversial for primetime RTE, then McSavage would probably have got on better. What did he do except make a joke about catholic priests? Big fúckin wow.
    Comedians like McSavage are usually for a niche audience in most countries, especially in Ireland. We dont do touchy subjects like making jokes about priests very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Degsy....making a tool of himself as usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sweetyt

It is conservitism and the 'lets turn a blind eye to reality' mentality that allowed the priests who raped and assaulted children to get away with it for so bloody long.

From viewing the show McSavage was CLEARLY not mocking the victims of this awful abuse, but mocking THE PRIESTS who commited these crimes. And why the hell not? Someone tell me?? Why shouldn't we all stand up and name the men who commited these CRIMES as the preverts, criminals and life takers that they are?!?! Why does "conservative" Ireland feel the need to not speak out in public? I for one would NOT let paedophile babysit my child- who would? So what's wrong with that comment- to reiterate, it offends the accused priests, not the victims.

I, like many Irish people, feel anger towards the priests who abused children and ngry towards the government for indemnifying the church and not bringing these men to justice like regular criminals.

If we as a nation hadn't have been so afraid to speak out and "offend" maybe we could have prevented so many of the people who suffered life altering abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

sweetyt wrote: »
    It is conservitism and the 'lets turn a blind eye to reality' mentality that allowed the priests who raped and assaulted children to get away with it for so bloody long.

From viewing the show McSavage was CLEARLY not mocking the victims of this awful abuse, but mocking THE PRIESTS who commited these crimes. And why the hell not? Someone tell me?? Why shouldn't we all stand up and name the men who commited these CRIMES as the preverts, criminals and life takers that they are?!?! Why does "conservative" Ireland feel the need to not speak out in public? I for one would NOT let paedophile babysit my child- who would? So what's wrong with that comment- to reiterate, it offends the accused priests, not the victims.

I, like many Irish people, feel anger towards the priests who abused children and ngry towards the government for indemnifying the church and not bringing these men to justice like regular criminals.

If we as a nation hadn't have been so afraid to speak out and "offend" maybe we could have prevented so many of the people who suffered life altering abuse.

While I don't agree with Degsy's opinion either....this post is just wrong.

He has an opinion and a certain taste in humour, that's all. We don't have to all find the same things funny all of the time.

He speaks out and expresses his views openly. What does that have to do with paedophilia?

This country has gone crazy!

Mc Savage makes a crap joke and people suggest he should be shot etc
    Degsy is offended by his jokes and doesn't find him funny and you suggest that this opinion is why paedophiles got away with abuse! :eek:

Relax people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

This year I think RTE have made some great progress. I would be the first to give out if they were going backwards like they were when they had money, but this past year i think they have done well.

Out of interest, can I ask what "progess" you think they've made?

In my opinion, RTE has gone down this year. I think this is largely due to them focusing on a couple of big stars and seemingly rehashing 'done' shows that aren't really fresh or interesting anymore. I would question a couple of their programming choices, considering that it's us, the public, who are paying the wages and the production costs of RTE's staff and schedule.

However, in saying that, I can accept that, with anything, it's down to personal opinion - if there's a large enough proportion of the Irish public watching and enjoying programmes like "The Savage Eye", it makes sense for RTE to keep them, but personally, it wouldn't be something I'd have much interest in watching again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sweetyt

dolliemix wrote: »

He has an opinion and a certain taste in humour, that's all. We don't have to all find the same things funny all of the time...
    QUOTE]

Dollymix you have misunderstood me entirely. My anger has nothing got to do with the taste of a joke. Fact is McSavage's statement offended peadophile priests, not the victims of abuse- regardless of what taste it was delivered in. My anger is at fools like Degsy posting statements such as "The Minister should distance himself from his brothers joke" and "The Minister for Comm. must intervene"
    I , as I'm sure many victims of clerical abuse, would be proud to have a Minister who publicly called such priests the scum of the earth that they are. Not apologied on behalf of someone who did.

It angers me that fools like Degsy congradulate gob****e OConnor for supressing anyone who tries to offend paedophiles. Not only should they be offended, they should hung, drawn and quatered, or at the very least they should be brought to justice by serving life in prison.

It angers me that Degsy and people like him show more outrage at someone offending a collection of perverts than at a system (the government) that indemnifies the church.

This nation has its priorities backwards!! We need to end conservatism and be proud to speak out about rapist priests (or any criminals) who destroy one or hundreds of lifes. If we weren't so afraid of "offending" and being correct, maybe more people would have spoken up and pointed the finger at these perverts decades ago!

• Advertisement

sweetyt wrote: »
    dolliemix wrote: »

He has an opinion and a certain taste in humour, that's all. We don't have to all find the same things funny all of the time...
    QUOTE]

Dollymix you have misunderstood me entirely. My anger has nothing got to do with the taste of a joke. Fact is McSavage's statement offended peadophile priests, not the victims of abuse- regardless of what taste it was delivered in. My anger is at fools like Degsy posting statements such as "The Minister should distance himself from his brothers joke" and "The Minister for Comm. must intervene"
    I , as I'm sure many victims of clerical abuse, would be proud to have a Minister who publicly called such priests the scum of the earth that they are. Not apologied on behalf of someone who did.

It angers me that fools like Degsy congradulate gob****e OConnor for supressing anyone who tries to offend paedophiles. Not only should they be offended, they should hung, drawn and quatered, or at the very least they should be brought to justice by serving life in prison.

It angers me that Degsy and people like him show more outrage at someone offending a collection of perverts than at a system (the government) that indemnifies the church.

This nation has its priorities backwards!! We need to end conservatism and be proud to speak out about rapist priests (or any criminals) who destroy one or hundreds of lifes. If we weren't so afraid of "offending" and being correct, maybe more people would have spoken up and pointed the finger at these perverts decades ago!

Eh..i think you need to sit down and loosen your shirt collar a bit.

My only contention is that McSavage isnt funny regardless of the subject matter.

I posted that link because it described the awkwardness of the interviewer and the fact that he cut mcsavage off after he died on his arse.

I'm not here to debate peadophiles or rapists or priests or whatever but to point out that dave Mcsavage is a fraud who has persuaded RTE he's a "comedian" despite evidence to the contrary.

The thread is called "Dave McSavage making atool out of himself as usual" NOT "Rapists,blah blah peados..blah blah"

Advertisement