Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave McSavage..making a tool of himself as usual.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Pittens wrote: »
    Oh, my feeling is if the joke were about the heroin addict you would be writing to Madam.

You, personally, that is. Pot. Kettle. Black.

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

?

Well, I see you are very PC. That said I cant say that I have every seen you demand anything be banned from TV, so I retract.

Meant to delete that actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

ye seems the family and media association are a front for a catholic pressure group....had a look through the site....not much mention of the damage priest,monks and nuns did to the children of this country.......typical

Pittens wrote: »
    Well, I see you are very PC. That said I cant say that I have every seen you demand anything be banned from TV, so I retract.

Meant to delete that actually.

np.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Analysis of comedy sucks.

Rrright.
    ^This reminds me of the scene from the Simpsons where Homer finally gets the standup's joke when he's told that "it's a joke!".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Nodin wrote: »
    Jaysus, Degsys gone 'holy joe'.....

I wonder if they include Bennys addresses in that....doubt it somehow...

Wonderful formatting...
    http://www.fma.ie/christmas09.pdf

http://www.fma.ie/mediareport_june1_2009.pdf

A bunch of Pope following right wing yahoos don't like mcsavage......

.....thats not really an achievement, but well done McSavage anyway.

Do you have a problem with the pope and his followers?
    Maybe you should take your religious intolerances elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

hahahahaha, jesus. his brother is barry andrews? i fukin knew there was something up and why hes on telly. what a giant circle jerking country we live in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I've seen Mc Savage on Grafton Street a few times and I thought he was great.
    Savage Eye was the funniest thing I've seen for years on tv.
    I saw Mc Savage on the Late Late a few years ago and I was embarrased for him.

Tommy Tiernan is not funny at all. I always feel uncomfortable watching him.

I have no idea why Barry Andrews should have to apologise for his brother. I read the OPs article and while I wouldn't find those jokes funny, I wouldn't find them offensive

Degsy wrote: »
    Do you have a problem with the pope and his followers?
    Maybe you should take your religious intolerances elsewhere.

I've a problem with a right wing group that is quick to quote Benny and take from the Ryan report that its the state that was entirely to blame for the abuse of children.

Maybe in your scrabble for muck to sling, you might look where you're digging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Whenever I'm posed with the scenario "if you absolutely had to murder one person, who would it be?" I often answer with our friend David Andews Jr there. Not because he has suceeded in his (presumed?) goal of becoming a figure of notoriety but simply because I find he is a person who serves no function on this planet and that the rest of us would be better off were he dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

m-david_mc_Savage.jpg

+

douche.jpg

Spot the difference...I can't

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

McSavage himself goes abit overboard. He should learn to keep alid on his "whacky" persona when being interviewed. That kind of stuff, coming from an Irishman in Ireland just doesnt work.

Other than that, his tv show was a major cut above all of the other attempts at comedy by RTE. He has an ability to laugh at himself and is generally a mad bastard in the truest sense of the phrase. Some of the stuff on the Savage Eye was actually laugh out loud quality.

He justs needs to learn when to switch off in interviews and answer at least two questions normally without trying to make the audience uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

WindSock wrote: »
    Satire is fine. Taking the piss out of and ridiculing people walking past minding their own business isn't. It's low and petty.

That's precisely what he was doing when the young fella turned on him in Cork. Absolutely left McSavage with no response, you'd think being a "comedian" he'd be able to take it but he was destroyed.

A friend of mine started to chat to him during a gig in vicar st(he wasnt playing)..the obnoxious twat walked-off mid sentence..a complete tosser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

tech77 wrote: »
    "Brass eye man here".
    LOL.

Chris Morris is great, don't get me wrong, but why do people reflexively quote Brass Eye like that- like it's flawless and sacred.

Brass Eye, as great as the satire is, is not flawless.
    In the controversial child abuse hysteria satire it satirizes the unhelpful public hysteria/hypocritical redtops/moronic self-serving celebrities (and the perpetrators themselves IIRC) beautifully but in other parts if you watch it, it gets confused as to what exactly its poking fun at- the victims or the perpetrators/media hysteria. It does actually conflate the two.

So:
    Beautiful, brilliant satire in parts (the Phil Collins noncesense stuff is inspired for example), but flawed nonetheless and not necessarily the funniest thing ever because of that.

Haha, 'Brass Eye man' sounds a bit w*nky alright;)

Erm, I never said it was the funniest thing ever but gave it as an example to Min.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Degsy wrote: »
    A friend of mine started to chat to him during a gig in vicar st(he wasnt playing)..the obnoxious twat walked-off mid sentence..a complete tosser.

The monster. Should be locked up.

tech77 wrote: »
    FWIW IMO the Dave McSavage thing is not in any way comparable to Chris Morris or Brass Eye.

They are both risque humour- that's where the similarities end.

Just that Brass Eye was actually good satire.

Compare that to the Dave McSavage thing which huffed and puffed a lot, with not much of great comedic merit being produced.

Having said all that, Brass Eye, although an example of how satire should be done, was also a bit unfocussed and flawed at times.
    It's not perfect, that's all.

I'll have to take a look at 'The Savage Eye'

RTE in not-absolutely-****e-comedy-attempt shockah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

A friend of mine showed him her baby...and he ate it! ..acomplete tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

To be honest i didn't like mcsavage until he made the savage eye, now i will give him a chance. However what I did find disgusting was when he was told to calm down by Brendan o'Connor when he spoke of the priest babysitter. Why? Because it looked like he was set up. The savage eye mainly satirized the church and the government, everytime Dmc is on tv he slags off the church, he slags off the church in interviews, in his live shows and on his street shows,......so why the f** did they ask him on the SNS if they were going to shut him up like that?? He should have broken o'connors jaw after that, who the hell did he think he was at that moment, protector of those who watch tv after 10.30pm?? it's hacky Mchack Brendan o'connor not, Mary Whitehouse.

gambiaman wrote: »
    I'll have to take a look at 'The Savage Eye'

RTE in not-absolutely-****e-comedy-attempt shockah.

Indeed. I was pleasantly suprised. His take on Joe Duffy is class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

So... Who's this David McSavage guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Much as I despise McSavage and don't think he's remotely funny, I didn't find the quotes offensive. The bit about beating the crap out of his bro?Sure I'm a girl and my brothers would still knock lumps out of me given half the chance:p

Think we may be in danger of becoming over sensitive and losing focus of the real problem here (ie the church).

Basically everyone here hates McSavage and and they're just using this to have a go at him.

Indeed. I was pleasantly suprised. His take on Joe Duffy is class.

Nice one - I'll admit I wasn't bothered watching when it was on as I'd seen yer man on a few talkshows and he didn't do it for me and well, it's RTE etc

Dudess wrote: »
    So... Who's this David McSavage guy?

Just watch it from the start till 5.40 or so.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8CCCTuqz8

gambiaman wrote: »
    Nice one - I'll admit I wasn't bothered watching when it was on as I'd seen yer man on a few talkshows and he didn't do it for me and well, it's RTE etc

Actually what I said in the link applies there. If you get to 5.40 or 6.00 minutes in and don't think thats funny, then he's not for you. All parts of that episode are there if you're amused.

Actually what I said in the link applies there. If you get to 5.40 or 6.00 minutes in and don't think thats funny, then he's not for you

If you get to 1.00 or 2.00 minutes and not want to cave his head in with a wheelbrace then you can call yourself a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Making a tool of himself incorrectly implies that there are periods of his life during which he is not a tool. I'd say he's even annoying in his sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Had never seen Dave McSavage before Saturday night. Did not find anything he said offensive, just found it all completely humourless. Looked like he was on day release from Grange Gorman. Would reckon his family are 'proud'

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

That c*nt is just not funny. end of.

See, this is what confuses me about DMC. There seems to be a fairly significant negative sentiment against him here on boards. I haven't encountered anyone in the real world (shudder) who finds him funny either.

But he got his show on RTÉ and seems to make enough from his 'comedy' to earn a living. Some people somewhere must be fans of his. But I can't seem to find them anywhere. Maybe it's similar to being unable to find anyone who voted FF in the last election.

On topic:

While I would consider myself very pro free speech, this is just taking the mick. There are many people across the country who have been effected by this and a little decorum and sensitivity wouldn't go astray.

On a side note, it's a shame whoever was presenting didn't just ask him how it feels to know that your family don't want you anywhere near them anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭jiltloop

The Savage eye I thought was quite funny, bit hit and miss but really funny in parts. He does a great Joe Duffy but his Mary Robinson impression is brilliant.
    I think people need to cop on a bit and stop being so PC, his comments weren't funny but they certainly weren't in any way offensive. If you start to get offended so easily maybe you should lock yourself up in a media proof room so no ones bad little words can cause you distress.

Advertisement