Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardy Bucks - THE TV SERIES

Options

Comments

That is awesome. Hopefully it won't lose too much of its original charm - the episodes on the RTE site were sometimes edited to bits compared to the youtube uploads.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Didn't TV3 already air this for a few years? Was called trailer park boys but it's definitely the same show. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 WrongedWriter

That's them ruined so.

RTE poison everything they touch. There may be script editors that could help them but no good ones work for RTE.

And with Jane Geogan having the last word on everything... This will be Trouble in Paradise 2: Swinford Nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Elmo wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/about/pressreleases/2010/0316/storyland16032010.html

Looks like RTÉ got around to giving them a series.

Could have told you that 2 weeks ago.
    mikom wrote: »
    Word on the street is that they have got the chance to make three episodes for RTE, which will air on TV in the autumn.
    Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭cazze

Excellent !
    hope it goes well for the guys !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

RTE wrote:
    Currently developing

Development can last a long long time in RTE......

I hope I'm wrong but I'd say don't hold your breath for this one lads. It'll be 2011 at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Could have told you that 2 weeks ago.

Well why didn't you post?
    And with Jane Geogan having the last word on everything... This will be Trouble in Paradise 2: Swinford Nights.

I had forgotten about Trouble in Paradise (TG), did she really commission a second series. This is the strange show with Angeline Ball??????

Well why didn't you post?

Check post number six......... complete with link to where I originally posted it.
    Do you want me to spoon feed you?

Check post number six......... complete with link to where I originally posted it.
    Do you want me to spoon feed you?

Your going to have to post 6 seems to be missing a link to your thread :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Click on the viewpost.gif next to his post. It goes to the original thread 'twas posted in.
    There. Learn something new every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

there going to have to start all over again.. So it will be nothing new ( introduce all the characters as alot of people wouldn't of been arsed to watch it on you tube) so ya for us who have watched it on you tube its going to be crap but watch it anyway to make sure they get a full season as 3 esps is scraps in RTE budgets..

Your going to have to post 6 seems to be missing a link to your thread :(

Here comes dr.bollocko with the Choo Choo train.
    Open wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JimboJonze

They were given a commissioning by RTE, however it being produced by the drama department which has brought us such riveting shows as "The Clinic" , "Fair City" and countless other examples of culturally and intellectually barren ****e that only a total troglodyte could be entertained by. My younger bro went up to Mayo to be an extra for one of the weekends they were filming and said it all seemed a little unfunny and forced and everything was done from a tightly monitored RTE supervised script. I was a fan of the show quite a lot when it came out but I think doing lame unrehearsed live shows in the upstairs of pubs and lame PR stunts for even lamer websites kind of defines what the Hardy Bucks has been for some time. I gives me no pleasure to say that because I really believed in the show when I initially saw it, but it has just become a bit ****. They arent prepared to really pull the piss out of the characters the same way "Trailerpark Boys" does and I from what I heard about the shooting of the possible TV series (RTE commissions lots of stuff that never sees the light of day) its going to be some kind a drama-esque portrayal with no cursing. A shame for something that had so much potential but lazy writing has cost them in the end I think.

JimboJonze wrote: »
    They were given a commissioning by RTE, however it being produced by the drama department which has brought us such riveting shows as "The Clinic" , "Fair City" and countless other examples of culturally and intellectually barren ****e that only a total troglodyte could be entertained by.

Fair City is a soap opera stop expecting so much, The Clinic is far better than BBC Medical Drama Casulty and Holby City, if that is a complement????

But maybe you just don't like Irish Drama which is fair enough but IMO Pure Mule, Batchelor's Walk, Love is the Drug, Path to Freedom, Prosperity and even RAW were all much better than allot of US and UK muck currently airing.
    My younger bro went up to Mayo to be an extra for one of the weekends they were filming and said it all seemed a little unfunny and forced and everything was done from a tightly monitored RTE supervised script.

Scripts should be supervised and edited, weather RTÉ can do that or not is another question.
    They arent prepared to really pull the piss out of the characters the same way "Trailerpark Boys" does and I from what I heard about the shooting of the possible TV series (RTE commissions lots of stuff that never sees the light of day) its going to be some kind a drama-esque portrayal with no cursing.

I am of the opinion that just because a drama or comedy has "cursing" doesn't make it any more risky than if the script writter had tried to write around their
    censors, which often makes for much better comedy and drama.

In saying all of this most of the drama that I have mentioned were commissioned before the current head of Drama took over :(

I expect that Hardy Bucks will be shown on RTÉ One :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Fair City is a soap opera stop expecting so much, The Clinic is far better than BBC Medical Drama Casulty and Holby City, if that is a complement????

But maybe you just don't like Irish Drama which is fair enough but IMO Pure Mule, Batchelor's Walk, Love is the Drug, Path to Freedom, Prosperity and even RAW were all much better than allot of US and UK muck currently airing.
    While I didn't like any of those bar Pure Mule and Paths to Freedom the quality of the production in those shows was a huge improvement for Ireland and was easily on a par with anything coming from overseas.

ScumLord wrote: »
    While I didn't like any of those bar Pure Mule and Paths to Freedom the quality of the production in those shows was a huge improvement for Ireland and was easily on a par with anything coming from overseas.

But that is more down to taste, you aren't always going to like every show produced. I do not like RAW but then I am not a fan of Grey's Anatomy either.

I also think that the late 1980s and early 1990s there was a drought in drama coming from RTÉ/Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Am I the only one who doesnt find hardy bucks funny at all??

:(
    panda100 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesnt find hardy bucks funny at all??
    Not at all, I think the early episodes showed great potential, but you can clearly see they ran out of ideas pretty quickly. I live in Galway so I've met several of the cast before, great lads but I wouldnt be giving them money to make a TV show. As I said earlier, I don't enjoy criticizing them because at least they're doing something, but my issue is with the blatant laziness of the execution of most of their later episodes. I saw them live too and it was basically unrehearsed, improvised drivel. They were probably being paid in beer because most of them seemed drunk, which is fine if the crowd wasnt full of fans who had paid money to see a comedy gig. So I'd imagine about the same amount of effort went into planning most of the Hardy Bucks episodes.
    I think if they want to please a crowd full of drunk 16 year olds with lame one liners then that's fine, but making a quality TV show is much trickier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

The format worked for Trailer Park Boys and The Office, but if the storylines ramble on and the characters remain two dimensional it will be a short lived disappointment. It's passable as a short run 10/15 mins insert as it stands but won't carry any kind of series. Never stopped RTE before though:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The format worked for Trailer Park Boys and The Office, but if the storylines ramble on and the characters remain two dimensional it will be a short lived disappointment. It's passable as a short run 10/15 mins insert as it stands but won't carry any kind of series. Never stopped RTE before though:rolleyes:

Paths To Freedom worked well.

Agreed, my bro gave me copy of the script and I gotta say its pretty unfunny stuff. They end up in Ibiza at the end after Eddie wins "King of the Town" - and guess what - a photo montage with "Don't stop Believing".
    There's basically no funny lines and a pretty **** plot involving Eddie getting his new Nissan Skyline stolen by The Viper, that frankly the "Trailerpark Boys" production staff wouldn't even scoff at. Trailerpark Boys is funny because they arent afraid to pull punches with regard to ripping the piss out of themselves, and lets face it, it wasnt even a hugely successful show, only a loyal cult following - though I do love it.
    I want the Hardy bucks to be funny so badly but it just isnt, I mean has anyone seen the Christmas Episode? Thrown together is an understatement.

Great job with the spoiler tags there Bimbo.

Great job with the spoiler tags there Bimbo.

There's nothing to spoil yutzboy

There's nothing to spoil yutzboy

Says you............ the guy with a hard-on for talking the hardy bucks down................ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=12625122

Nice comeback

Well I could call you an idiot in Yiddish like you did to me, only if you'd like.............

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

:(
    Not at all, I think the early episodes showed great potential, but you can clearly see they ran out of ideas pretty quickly. I live in Galway so I've met several of the cast before, great lads but I wouldnt be giving them money to make a TV show. As I said earlier, I don't enjoy criticizing them because at least they're doing something, but my issue is with the blatant laziness of the execution of most of their later episodes. I saw them live too and it was basically unrehearsed, improvised drivel. They were probably being paid in beer because most of them seemed drunk, which is fine if the crowd wasnt full of fans who had paid money to see a comedy gig. So I'd imagine about the same amount of effort went into planning most of the Hardy Bucks episodes.
    I think if they want to please a crowd full of drunk 16 year olds with lame one liners then that's fine, but making a quality TV show is much trickier.

The first few esps 4 I think were done by a different crew, Mostly from the college that they went to.. With not paying anyone they had load of people to work on it, After that the RTE storyland thing they cut the crew and only had 2-3 crew.. They have even gone smaller now Ive been told.. leaving the people who worked for feck all / free out in the street.

high heels wrote: »
    The first few esps 4 I think were done by a different crew, Mostly from the college that they went to.. With not paying anyone they had load of people to work on it, After that the RTE storyland thing they cut the crew and only had 2-3 crew.. They have even gone smaller now Ive been told.. leaving the people who worked for feck all / free out in the street.

Look man, I dont mean to be rude but you are completely wrong. I'm familiar with the set up they use from seeing them in Castlebar. Its been the same crew all along, apparently now though for the TV series there's just an extra 4/5 people on board from RTE organising stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SixDegrees

Rhys

Advertisement