Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-ordering HTC Desire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bomber6

morpheus01 wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe the legend might be more sturdy, being made from made from a single block of aluminium. Could be handy for someone workin on a site.

Anyway the Desire is only 20 quid more on Clove.
    I doubt the sturdiness is in question for either phone. The single block idea is for looks, pure and simple. As for working on a site, I doubt I'd use either of these phones myself lol. A samung solid ex. would do fine!

I'd guess it will be approx €129.99 for the desire alright on meteor. It isn't anywhere as expensive as the Nexus One is/was (thankfully)

Time Meteor Bill pay got some of my custom it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If meteor do indeed get the Desire and offer it at the price they're advertising they will be getting a hell of a lot of new customers and extended contracts (Me Included).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 morpheus01

Bomber6 wrote: »
    doubt I'd use either of these phones myself lol.

Know a plumber says he knows a few people bringing iphones onto sites. lol urself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

My only concern with Meteor is all the dropped calls on 3G when using Hero or Legend.

Know a plumber says he knows a few people bringing iphones onto sites. lol urself.
    I stand corrected

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    My only concern with Meteor is all the dropped calls on 3G when using Hero or Legend.
    I can survive on EDGE until they get their network up to scratch, the phone is all I want :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, kinda defeats the purpose of this phone if you have to choose between Voice and data

EDIT: I'm still firmly in the camp of whoever gets the phone out first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭_tony_

I was going to move to 3Pay as you go to use the Desire as they have the 9.99/1GB data add-on. I just came across all of the complaints about them on boards - and the fact that they still do not sell any android phones makes it a bit worrying for me....

Then I was thinking to maybe go with Meteor instead, but if the Hero/Legend on Meteor drops calls when using 3G, it makes it a bad option too.

Which providers do you guys plan to use? (apart from those who plan on signing up to meteor/o2/voda contracts)

I'm currently with O2 on bill - but their Internet options arn't great. I want a tarrif that gives 1GB internet, and a small amount of calls/texts.... Seems that I'll actually need to find which provider is best for this handset (htc desire) as well. Any tips would be great :)

_tony_ wrote: »
    I was going to move to 3Pay as you go to use the Desire as they have the 9.99/1GB data add-on. I just came across all of the complaints about them on boards - and the fact that they still do not sell any android phones makes it a bit worrying for me....

Then I was thinking to maybe go with Meteor instead, but if the Hero/Legend on Meteor drops calls when using 3G, it makes it a bad option too.

Which providers do you guys plan to use? (apart from those who plan on signing up to meteor/o2/voda contracts)

I'm currently with O2 on bill - but their Internet options arn't great. I want a tarrif that gives 1GB internet, and a small amount of calls/texts.... Seems that I'll actually need to find which provider is best for this handset (htc desire) as well. Any tips would be great :)
    Vodafone seem to be the best. Meteor would have taken that title had it not been for their 3G coverage issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 morpheus01

Tony, I'd say ur best bet is to look at the different websites, o2, vodafone etc and look at the tarriffs available for other smartphones.

Not sure but off the top of my head I think O2 are pricey enough. I know Vodafone have a 20 quid a month deal which includes internet and only 50 minutes & texts or so - meteor a bit better at 20 quid a month for 200 minutes & texts (but an extra fiver for some internet usage). Apparently you can use wi-fi with all these smartphones which, if you can do it - might be cheaper than buying usage from the providers.

Not sure about other carriers - are Three bringin it out here as well? Whose left? Are there just 4 carriers in Eire?

Anyway that's if those lower tarriffs will be available for this phone - not even sure if that's the case. Can't wait to get my hands on this. If I had 450 quid I'd just order it now.

• Advertisement

Not sure about other carriers - are Three bringin it out here as well? Whose left? Are there just 4 carriers in Eire?
    Vodafone and Meteor are the only Carriers i'm aware of that are bringing out the desire.

Only 4 carriers in Ireland and three's phone selection is an embarassment, there best phones are the Sony Ericsson Satio and the HTC TyTyn2. Abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭lasno

Vodafone and Meteor are the only Carriers i'm aware of that are bringing out the desire.

O2 will have the Desire in May.

Only 4 carriers in Ireland and three's phone selection is an embarassment, there best phones are the Sony Ericsson Satio and the HTC TyTyn2. Abysmal.
    Three might possibly be bringing it too actually. Check this out:
    http://www.mobiletor.com/2010/04/02/3-brings-free-twitter-htc-desire-on-shelves-from-april-20/
    Granted this applies to three UK but having a glance through their online store, the phone selection is almost identical to the Irish site so the possiblity of Three IE releasing seems pretty good at least.
    Three networks with the same phone (and possibly o2 having to get it on it too)...price war anyone? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Looking forward to this coming out in Ireland, hopefully wont have to long to wait for either meteor or vodafone to release it.

Hopefully meteor will have it at the same price as the hero and legend on bill pay (from €49.99 to €129.99), im currently with vodafone prepay but dont think they'll sell it on there lower priced monthly bill pay plans i.e from €19 p/m, will more than likely be the same as the iphone plans from €35 p/m.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭robobobo

Just preordered mine from Clove.co.uk

Let's hope the price doesn't change and they start shipping on April 7th

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

robobobo wrote: »
    Just preordered mine from Clove.co.uk

Let's hope the price doesn't change and they start shipping on April 7th

I preordered just today. If they start shipping 7th of April, is there a chance to get it friday?

I doubt it,

did you go with the Fedex courier option or airsure international mail?

They say 3-6 days for airsure and courier is generally 1-3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

robobobo wrote: »
    I doubt it,

did you go with the Fedex courier option or airsure international mail?

They say 3-6 days for airsure and courier is generally 1-3 days

Fedex. Would be nice to have it for the weekend. can't wait.

You may be lucky, I didn't go for fedex so i'll be waiting anyways,

I say they will have a lot of orders to ship out on Thursday, and judging by this thread, a fair few to ireland as well

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Mervenut

lasno wrote: »
    The Desire will also be available with O2 from May.

What's your source on that, has it been announced officially?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The complaints all relate to the mobile broadband dongle that people compare to dsl. Mobile phone internet is fantastic value on 3. I also use it for mobile laptop access but not for torrents or youtube etc as I have UPC so I'm very happy. I'd be tempted by meteors offer but they are more expensive and I don't think their 3G is up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Mervenut wrote: »
    What's your source on that, has it been announced officially?

It was announced on O2's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

kave2 wrote: »
    I preordered just today. If they start shipping 7th of April, is there a chance to get it friday?

Seriously doubtful. Before the delay, Clove had stated that its first batch of phones were all already allocated for pre-orders. That was about 2 or 3 weeks ago before the delay. It is more than likely the same thing now. The April 7th batch of phones will be shipped out to people who pre-ordered in Feb and start of March. I'd say the second delivery of phones to Clove may be the following week, so you should have phone by Friday next week hopefully.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

So I'm about to order 3 X Desire's. Should I go with:

Expansys

or

Phonesonline

These are being bought for business purposes, hence buying from Irish sites. Would go with clove otherwise. Has anyone else pre-ordered off either of these?

If they are sim free why would not buy from Clove, surely Clove would be cheaper?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

It's to do with claiming VAT back I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Slaanesh you can enter an EU Vat number (IExxxx...) with clove and they take the UK vat off the price when you pay - works out even cheaper again :)

yeah, tha's what I thought, if your're vat registered you can reclaim it. Expansys is actually a UK site, they just run a euro pricing site (.ie) so it make no difference once you're vat registered!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

kave2 wrote: »

I just called in earlier to confirm my authentication Code with them. I asked them about how long it would take to deliver to Ireland using FedEx and they said 1-2 days would be the normal time frame so there's a good chance you could get it for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

so I guess you guys are assuming the backlog is gone since 2 weeks ago? i.e. first HTC desire delivery of X amount of phones does indeed satisfy ALL pre-orders including those recent ones?
    I hope thats true myself. I ordered on 24th March and was told my phone would not be shipped in the first batch Clove were getting as all those were already allocated to pre-existing pre-orders. Heres hoping though.

Advertisement