Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-ordering HTC Desire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭darraghn

Just pulled the trigger on my Desire (+spare battery) order from Handtec - can't wait. Now I just need to decide who will get my much loved Hero.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I was reading in an article today that the desire allows you to have "batches" of 7 home screens which means you can have 140 screens with stuff on them!

mental! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

20 scenes X 7 is it?

Would find it hard to come up with 5.

Work? Home? Uh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

S.M.B. wrote: »
    20 scenes X 7 is it?

Work? Home? Uh?

Yeah seriously doubt I could come up with that amount if I tried.
    Would be good to have one set up for roaming :cool:

Got an email from Clove looking for proof of address etc., first time I've bought off them. Sent on the stuff and all is good now.
    They said in their reply that they'll be shipping April 7th-9th provided there are no more delays..........I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I notice vodafone are taking resitry of interest... whatever that means

http://www.vodafone.ie/comingsoon

They seem to be rolling back somewhat on their promise of "Spring" release, which to me would imply April.

O2 have already said May for their release. I'll probably go with who ever gets it first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Jaysus it takes long enough for HTC to pump out the android updates can't imagine how long it would take Vodafone/O2 to gimp the phone with their version of android.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I bought my hero from these not a bother quick and efficent service a lot of people on boards and mobilereview and sites of the likes use this site afaik! Its a perfectly legit site will order again once i wanna replace my hero lol

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

S.M.B. wrote: »
    20 scenes X 7 is it?

Work? Home? Uh?
    Hooker 1, hooker 2, hooker 3, hooker 4, repeat as needed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

lafors wrote: »
    Got an email from Clove looking for proof of address etc., first time I've bought off them. Sent on the stuff and all is good now.
    They said in their reply that they'll be shipping April 7th-9th provided there are no more delays..........I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER ;)

I cannot wait any longer either. argh.. I see Expansys still say they are shipping on April 2nd. Strange, they were normally on the ball for changing their expected shipping date, and have changed it almost daily since Feb 16th when Desire went on their site. I wonder if they are actually getting batch on the 2nd as opposed to everyone else on the 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

100gSoma wrote: »
    I cannot wait any longer either. argh.. I see Expansys still say they are shipping on April 2nd. Strange, they were normally on the ball for changing their expected shipping date, and have changed it almost daily since Feb 16th when Desire went on their site. I wonder if they are actually getting batch on the 2nd as opposed to everyone else on the 7th.

Expansys uk is saying 8 days and Expansys ie 12 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭robobobo

I just found it on phonesonline.ie for €482
    http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=1129
    They're expecting the desire in on the 5th April,

Price is a bit more when you compare it to the likes of clove.co.uk and handtec who both work out around €450 when you convert from sterling,
    http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/2749/htc-desire--sim-free-unlocked--graphite-
    http://www.clove.co.uk/viewProduct.aspx?product=32C8AD9B-E300-4267-BEC1-DE55F02D0184

I wonder what price Vodafone will be offering it for pay as you go, or will it only be available for pay monthly customers when they get it sometime this month?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bomber6

Got one of Carphone warehouses new April catalogues today...the Desire is listed in the Meteor section from €49.
    Guy behind the counter gave an ETA of 2 weeks...yay! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

that's not a bad price from phonesonline who are usually way more expensive then the UK sites.

I am on voda bill pay and have an upgrade to burn. Would love to know when they are going to release it.
    robobobo wrote: »
    I just found it on phonesonline.ie for €482
    http://www.phonesonline.ie/Product.asp?ProductID=1129
    They're expecting the desire in on the 5th April,

Price is a bit more when you compare it to the likes of clove.co.uk and handtec who both work out around €450 when you convert from sterling,
    http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/2749/htc-desire--sim-free-unlocked--graphite-
    http://www.clove.co.uk/viewProduct.aspx?product=32C8AD9B-E300-4267-BEC1-DE55F02D0184

I wonder what price Vodafone will be offering it for pay as you go, or will it only be available for pay monthly customers when they get it sometime this month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

kave2 wrote: »
    Expansys uk is saying 8 days and Expansys ie 12 days.

nice one. thats just changed in the past 5 hours. sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

Bomber6 wrote: »
    Got one of Carphone warehouses new April catalogues today...the Desire is listed in the Meteor section from €49.

Hmm, interesting... was gonna bite the bullet and sign-up for a Legend at the weekend, but if the Desire is just around the corner for Meteor, I can hang on a few more weeks.

Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭robobobo

Does anyone else not think its weird that Orange in the UK are offering the Desire for £399.95 if you want it as a pay as you go phone.

Why would you go for this option when you can buy the phone sim free for £385 or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭lasno

The Desire will also be available with O2 from May.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

:eek::eek::eek:

Let's just say meteor are getting another 18 months out of me if thats true :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

robobobo wrote: »
    Does anyone else not think its weird that Orange in the UK are offering the Desire for £399.95 if you want it as a pay as you go phone.

Why would you go for this option when you can buy the phone sim free for £385 or so?
    Yeah, I imagine it's aimed at the type customer who just stolls into one of their shops looking for a brand new swish phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

If this is true I'll be bringing back the HTC Legend I got from them (still in my 14 day cooling-off period, hopefully I can find a way out through that) and step up to the Desire!

• Advertisement

flynnduism wrote: »
    If this is true I'll be bringing back the HTC Legend I got from them (still in my 14 day cooling-off period, hopefully I can find a way out through that) and step up to the Desire!
    I had no problem whatsoever returning an N97 Mini I got off them but that was only 6 days in and the phone was pristine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 morpheus01

That's probably 49 quid if you're getting a monthly plan that costs 55 quid. You'd wana be using a lot of minutes to get proper value out of one of those plans.

Can't wait for this to come out thought. Hopefully there'll be a good 20 quid a month deal. Seems to be competitive prices in England, maybe due to all the networks having the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭_tony_

can't wait to get this myself :D Think I'll get it off clove/other so it'll be sim free and not 'branded'...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I think I'm going to get me one as well. My trusty N95 has done me proud for a years now, it's time to upgrade. Clove seems to be the way to go. Although, if there is any truth to meteor announcing it in a couple of weeks I'm tempted to hold off.

I've no coverage with O2 in my house, I have to put it up on the window sill to get messages. I got a free meteor sim and tried it in my phone this morning and I was able to get 1 bar in my bedroom which would be very handy. That could sway it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Slaanesh wrote: »
    I think I'm going to get me one as well. My trusty N95 has done me proud for a years now, it's time to upgrade. Clove seems to be the way to go. Although, if there is any truth to meteor announcing it in a couple of weeks I'm tempted to hold off.

I've no coverage with O2 in my house, I have to put it up on the window sill to get messages. I got a free meteor sim and tried it in my phone this morning and I was able to get 1 bar in my bedroom which would be very handy. That could sway it for me!

There are Meteor signs up in the stores already for the Desire.
    Its has a picture of the legend and the desire beside it and a description of each and below it say "from €49".
    I can't see the desire being €49, or anywhere near it, I'd say it'll be min €150 :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

wooo, I've just learned my brother is buying me one unlocked.
    Total cost = €0 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bomber6

No I have the catalogue, it's €49 euro alright. Of course that would be for the Bill Pay Max plan or similar but this is also the lowest price point of the Legend.
    Since both cost within €50 of each other sim free, maybe they're just adopting the same price scaling system, i.e. €129.99 for both on the €20, 18 month plan? This would mean someone could choose either a feature (Desire) or fashion (Legend) top end phone.
    If anyone is near a carphone warehouse why not pop in and ask, they could not give me details pre-april 1st.

Vodafone has similar pricing for both phones in the UK.
    Non-branded would be good but 20 quid a month sounds a lot more manageable than getting another couple o' hundred or whatever quid extra up front...

ps. if you search the web you'll find a "hack" for a SatNav App for Android phones (it's a European version of Google Navigation).

Glad I don't have any TomTom shares right now.

No I have the catalogue, it's €49 euro alright. Of course that would be for the Bill Pay Max plan or similar but this is also the lowest price point of the Legend.
    Since both cost within €50 of each other sim free, maybe they're just adopting the same price scaling system, i.e. €129.99 for both on the €20, 18 month plan? This would mean someone could choose either a feature (Desire) or fashion (Legend) top end phone.
    If anyone is near a carphone warehouse why not pop in and ask, they could not give me details pre-april 1st.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. The Desire is more of a power user phone and the legend is more for people who want a stylish phone.

Either way, I'll be getting a desire if that is the case.

• Advertisement

Desire is more of a power user phone

Yeah, maybe the legend might be more sturdy, being made from made from a single block of aluminium. Could be handy for someone workin on a site.

Anyway the Desire is only 20 quid more on Clove.

Advertisement