Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Manners & Chivalry - Are They Dead?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i hold doors open for anyone whether they be men or women

i held it open for one stuck up cow who caught me on an extremely bad day i had had, she was fairly attractive and pretty around my age

she said " it won't get you anywhere being all gentlemanly i dont find it attractive" to which i replied "i don't give a **** if you find it attractive or not, i'm gay, not going to be interested in you anyway you hoity toity bitch"

i couldn't believe i'd said it as i normally wouldn't say boo to a ghost, it was like some sort of outer body experience that i was that nasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I find women to be very Rude in general tbh, far worse than men.
    Biggins wrote: »
    We luv each other yet again!
    More huggies please! :D
    Don't start you :p Lesbionics aren't into that mushy shoite you're into. Dirty, sick and twisted ftw*

*Mite just be me...
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    Tongues ftw ;)
    Oh Pete... jizzed in mah pants just then :pac:
    GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    If I have to listen to Beyonce prancing around sh1ting on about independence then you can open your own fucking jar of jam.

Beyonce does my facking face in.

*sings sarcastically*

If you like it you shoulda put a ring on it... Pay mah own bills...

stfu already :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    If I have to listen to Beyonce prancing around sh1ting on about independence then you can open your own fucking jar of jam.
    I think this is the best post I have ever seen on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yes and it's Men who are to blame.
    In town (.............) rosebud :)

I still do it, even though I know about half of them should have it closed again when they're about half way through....Too auld to change now....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

If I ever make a pot of tea or coffee I'd always serve the ladies first. The same with serving dinners, going to the bar for a round etc.. Sometimes when I'm doing it I wonder if I should be doing it at all really. But I'd feel ever more uncomfortable if I didn't do it as a lady might take offence.. but probably wouldn't really. But I'm not sure, so I just do it anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

When I'm helping my mother with the dinner, she always insists on serving "the boys" first though... :)

<Ollie> wrote: »
    If I ever make a pot of tea or coffee I'd always serve the ladies first. The same with serving dinners, going to the bar for a round etc.. Sometimes when I'm doing it I wonder if I should be doing it at all really. But I'd feel ever more uncomfortable if I didn't do it as a lady might take offence.. but probably wouldn't really. But I'm not sure, so I just do it anyway..
    Things like this I just don't get.

There're manners and there are silly protocols that seem to exist merely for the sake of having silly protocols...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I just use basic good manners when dealing with people in everyday situations; gender doesn't come into it.
    The only time i'll actually go out of my way, i.e. getting up to pull out a chair, giving up my seat on a bus/train etc, is when it is an elderly person or a clearly pregnant lady.
    In the case of the pregnant lady, that's not really chivalry, as any decent person, regardless of gender, would do the same.
    The only time i've ever found myself questioning what i should or shouldn't do has been in relation to age not gender; sometimes i've been about to get up and give up my seat for an older person, someone who seems like they need it, and thought twice as it could be construed as an insult.
    I'd especially think twice if it was an older man; would half expect him to be insulted and say 'Heh, I can still stand, dickhead'.
    Gender comes into it there. i suppose; but only in terms of how i percieve the likely reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Things like this I just don't get.

There're manners and there are silly protocols that seem to exist merely for the sake of having silly protocols...

I agree it probably is a silly protocol really. But I'd feel a bit uneasy if I didn't do it tbh.. I'm sure most guys do the same thing. Or maybe I'm just the perfect gentleman. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

<Ollie> wrote: »

Yeah, actually, all things being even, if i'm going to get a round, for instance, i would tend to get the ladies drinks first; just seems like the right thing to do.
    I guess i'm not as inured to this whole chivalry thing as i thought i was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

No, I like Chivalrous Men and always did and always will.
    For the most part, yeah it is dead, I still try to be nice though.

I will hold the door, help a friend with her coat, and be generally courteous.

I try to cut down on my cursing in front of women, but that to me means just not using the word cnut if I can help it!

I don't do it to be chivalrous though, I do it because I don't see a reason not to! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Nonsense, I find that men today are arrogant bastards.
    rubadub wrote: »
    I don't know why you are asking if chivalry is dead from that episode.

I am a man, she is a woman and I got the distinct impression she thought I was being chivalrous (I wasn't) and that is why she behaved like a bitch.

There is be a chivalry aspect to a guy holding a door for a woman whether it's done for that reason or not.

Would she have thanked a woman? Guess we'll never know and I said in the post, she may have just been a rude bitch.

I also asked the following:
    Do you like it when a man stands up when you enter a room? Offers you their seat on the Luas? (etc etc)

So I am not just talking about one woman's actions, I am referring to chivalry in general.

I also ask in The Poll which sex people find ruder, as in general, I find woman to be far ruder.

As a female poster has just said, women can walk through a held open door and not even think about the person holding it open.

Again, not ALL women, obviously - as the poster said thanks and she's a woman, a nice one at that :)

Of course I will come across Men who will not have manners in society but not nearly as many as I do women.

I find younger women in particular to be quite bad mannered, whereas young lads don't seem to be as much.

Something they should teach at school perhaps as their parents obviously aren't doing a good job of it.

Abitar wrote: »
    Oh Pete... jizzed in mah pants just then :pac:

Must be our lucky day, got a Tweet that made me do the same ;)

Where's the option in the poll if you think the death of chivalry is a good thing and that gender should not be a factor in general good manners?

Where's the option in the poll if you think the death of chivalry is a good thing and that gender should not be a factor in general good manners?

The last one, that's what Facekicker thinks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

I think that woman was incredibly rude, You were only being courteous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

I'm nice for the sake of being nice, I wouldn't lable it chivalry, merely common goodness and respect.

It should be an instinct not a chore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Back in the days of knights chivalry only applied to the upper classes/royalty , the commoners were butchered / sold as slaves in their masses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Poll is too complicated so I didn't vote

I don't think it's dead though -- most people are still polite in my experience.

Holding open the door, saying thank you, etc., is all still common

Obviously kids and teens are c*nts who don't bother, but that's always been the case tbh

Dave! wrote: »
    Poll is too complicated so I didn't vote

"Complicated Poll Choices", ouch, that hurt ..

No new material Dave? 'Poor Poll choices'?

You can do better .. no wait, you can't.
    Those poll options are pretty poor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

No, I like Chivalrous Men and always did and always will.
    "Complicated Poll Choices", ouch, that hurt ..

No new material Dave? Poor Polls choices?

You can do better .. no wait, you can't.

http://nwf2009.webs.com/Cat-YouJustGotServed-727855.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Taking my passing comments a bit personally Pete... You'll get no trouble from me, just work on your polls and we're sweet as

Taking my passing comments a bit personally Pete...

Nope, not at all.

You critiqued the Poll choices and I'm just pointing out you make a habit of it is all.
    work on your polls and we're sweet

You wanna what?? :eek:

Advertisement