Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland: European "capital" of cigarette smuggling

Options
  • 20-02-2010 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭

Consumer report says that a quarter of all cigarettes smoked here are illegal and labels us European capital of cigarette smuggling.
    Smoking in Ireland fell sharply after the workplace ban and we briefly led the world in anti-smoking measures. Six years on, the country is a tobacco smuggling blackspot, and a quarter of cigarettes smoked here are illegal.

Do you buy smuggled cigarettes or other goods?

If so, why and do you feel any remorse or guilt in doing so?

Source

Do you buy smuggled cigarettes or other goods? 49 votes

Yes, what's it to you?
    0%
    No, I don't and anyone that does needs a kick up the arse.
    42%
    omahaidXcom2Fighting IrishWezCrowdedHousedermo88#Smokey#monosharpSunset VBorneo FnctnxFROSTY Gxdf1985captainjackLizzzardBluesBerryRonan Keatingevolutionqy7GauntyMcNulty737Bootsy. 21 votes
    Just the odd pack of smokes, what harm?
    42%
    VictorDamienHDr4gul4Mike 1972AlessandraBlowfishdotsmanjoe_dunnedsmythyLCFin.yayjumpguy54krochypersquirrellcrcboyLookBehindYouTheBastardthetonynatorBonitobonermscruff monkey 21 votes
    Some cinema DVDs and I illegally download movies too.
    14%
    Jev/Nmsg11smiley girlFridaysWellHerbal DeityXlunaElenxor 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Don't smoke - very thankful for it - and not bloody surprised people are buying the imports, given the tax.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

a direct result of the price of them here. hardly worth your while if ya lived in spain to smuggle them in!

i only smoke after a few drinks/semi pissed but if i was a heavy smoker id be filling my suitcase, wouldnt feel any guilt in doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I like smuggled peanuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Those poll options are pretty poor

They remind me of a Mitch Hedberg joke about filling in a questionaire for a job.

"Do you like sugar, or, PCP?"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A pack of smokes is twice as expensive in Ireland as in Sweden, of course people will buy smuggled fags, it's cheaper that way.
    Or take a flight to Spain over the weekend and stock up. You're allowed pretty much as much as you can carry within EU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Dave! wrote: »
    Those poll options are pretty poor

What option were you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

What an ingenious poll..

Were on to you Mr customs officer... I'm not answering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

OutlawPete wrote: »
    What option were you looking for?
    Well I don't buy smuggled smokes but don't think people who do should be kicked up the arse ! And I don't buy smuggled DVDs but I do download sh*t malegally !

I don't think I can vote !

Dave! wrote: »
    Well I don't buy smuggled smokes but don't think people who do should be kicked up the arse ! And I don't buy smuggled DVDs but I do download sh*t malegally !

I don't think I can vote !

That's how I felt at the last election, so just pick whichever option is closest.

Option No seems to be the one and you have posted you download movies, so all is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Just the odd pack of smokes, what harm?
    Poor border control + highly inflated price for cigarettes = how can we be surprised?

Government have two choices...increase the border control's capacity, which would be very costly, or reduce the price of cigarettes to maybe 6 Euro and therefore increase their revenue as more people buy cigarettes (yes, by decreasing tax they might increase their net revenue).

I don't smoke btw...but if this is the case, something more than tutting must be done. The profits from illegal ciggies go straight back to crime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

The price is sky high here. Because they need the money for the health care system, Emmm which has failed.

When smokers do need to use it, Emmm it will fail some more.

Hike the price of the fags up and say it's for health care. Got to love it, me hole it's for the banks and the goverments pockets. Ye, it can kill you. But so can anything.

The price of fags. Look at the price of Petrol 1.25c , I heard before the mark up is near 60% tax. Ahh yeah save the enviroment.

If the goverment brought the tax down to earth, we might be able to buy something legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Well i don't smoke,but i do download movies and songs. And when im in Spain or somewhere where smokes are a hell of a lot cheaper,i take orders for my mates and bring home as many as i can smuggle in..

/waits for customs to come banging the door down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Shit poll tbh. I don't smoke smuggled cigarettes because I don't smoke, but that doesn't stop me from giving my full endorsement to those who do. It's great to hear that so many people are not letting themselves be dicked around by the nanny-state.

vinylmesh wrote: »
    Shit poll tbh..

What option were YOU looking for :rolleyes:

If you support people buying them, click Yes .. it's not an exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

What option were YOU looking for :rolleyes:

A simple no option perhaps. The only no option there is "No, I don't and anyone that does needs a kick up the arse" which doesn't apply to me because i think people who buy smuggled cigarettes are great.
    If you support people buying them, click Yes .. it's not an exam.

I don't want to be seen as reading into this too much, but i think your poll takes the assumption that everyone who doesn't smoke is against illegal cigarettes or else doesn't care. Not saying you did this on purpose but there is an attitude in society of basing political views on self-interest rather than principle. For example, just because i'd never use a prostitute myself, doesn't mean i don't have strong feelings that those who wish to should be allowed to do so.

I'd like if basing views on principle was seen as the norm rather than basing views on self-interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I'm pleading the fifth with regards to the poll, for fear that I might incriminate myself.

I know a fair few eastern europeans and they always get their cigarettes sent over to them as it's much cheaper. Is that smuggling?
    I have no problems with that, even if they are selling them to people they know.

If somebody is smuggling in cigarettes by the thousands, then I would probably have a bit of a problem with that, they are basically taking money out of this country's health, schooling systems etc. Plus if the cigarettes are counterfeit then who knows what is in them (not that ordinary cigarettes are that healthy, but they are regulated).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

Crap poll, tbh.
    Where's the 'I only smoke other people's, cause I'm too sting to buy my own' option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

.....a 'friend' of mine bought a pack on the street... it looked exactly like a shop bought pack, the taste on the other hand was vile, burning, and not in any shape or form like the real thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

do you feel any remorse or guilt in doing so?

Source

laughing-cat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

Elenxor wrote: »
    and not in any shape or form like the real thing.

A wiggledy cigarette?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

A combination of a long coastline and a massive amount of newly unemployed people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Nice try, customs office.

I'm actually giving up at the moment, and have cut down from 30 a day to a small (irish government taxed) pouch a week. Switching to patches on March 1st.

But when I was smoking 30 a day, smuggled all the way. Don't think I know anyone who bought smokes from a shop unless they were stuck. €8.50~ for smokes, or around €3-4 per pack.. yeah, no ta.

I also shop in the north whenever I can. **** "helping our economy". I won't sugarcoat what I'm doing - when it comes to my money, I only give a **** about how it's going to benefit me, not anybody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭drusk

Why, when creating this poll, did you decide to choose what attitude responders might take?

The second option is "No, and anyone that does deserves a kick up the arse." What makes you think that people that want to vote 'No' will take the attitude that those that do deserve a kick up the arse? I don't smoke smuggled cigarettes, but I applaud those that do.

Why couldn't you have simply had 'Yes' or 'No' options?! Or instead asked, 'What's your attitude to people that smoke smuggled cigarettes?'

Your predisposed assumptions regarding each response makes this an utterly sh*t poll.

drusk wrote: »
    Why, when creating this poll, did you decide to choose what attitude responders might take?.

I apologise.

Christ on a cross, it's AH.

It's tongue in cheek ffs.

PM a Mod if you want the Poll changed.

I'm off out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

While the intentions of the Government to eliminate the use of tobacco are noble, the policies used are extreme. It is also now clear that the Government only cares about the revenue, rather than the health of the populace.

The pendulum could swing too far in one direction, where excessive measures lead to smoking being used as an expression of rebellion, of individuality, irrespective of the health risks involved.

It is clear that some sensible measures are required.

1. Like Singapore, on the bottom of each cigarette produced or manufactured for sale, a print:

"Irish Government, Duty Paid, for sale in the Republic of Ireland"

This would distinguish legal versus illegal tobacco.

2. A tax reduction bringing it in line with comparable European countries, such as France, Germany, Italy and the United Kingdom. The Government tend to forget that we are in a currency union, and that this causes comparisons with other countries in the Eurozone. I reckon the retail price should be around 5.50 Euro per pack of 20. ASH would go crazy, but at this stage, most of the measures to create a reasonable smoke free environment have been implemented. There is not much else that can be done, and it is draconian as it is.

3. Ban vending machines.

4. No direct displays of tobacco behind shop counters.

The indirect taxes rose excessively during the boom period. This was all well and good where an addicted smoker would just shell out 7 or 8 Euro a pack. Now its different, and other measures are required.

We have entered an era like prohibition, where laws are being flouted and ignored. When we reach that juncture, common sense needs to prevail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭IrishManSaipan

Hank_Jones wrote: »

I know a fair few eastern europeans and they always get their cigarettes sent over to them as it's much cheaper. Is that smuggling?
    I have no problems with that, even if they are selling them to people they know.

The government and big business had no problems availing of cheap labour from eastern europe and now they have the nerve to complain about the average joe availing of cheaper ciggies from eastern europe?

Ahhh diddums.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I'm not a smoker but more power to the lads that go over and fill their suitcases for themselves. The government have brought this on themselves with the level of taxes on cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

*sigh* This auld chestnut.

Ask any actuary and he/she/it will tell you that we smokers are beneficial to the national economy.

Why? Because a) we die younger, minimising government exposure to state pensions and b) we contribute 90% duty on the average pack of 20, that's right boys and girls, a pack of 20 cigarettes only costs about €1 to manufacture.

Now, back to the thread in hand. Would I buy counterfeit smokes in the Republic? I have, and I did, and they are vile. Nothing like the real thing and best avoided.

These days I just head over the border or take a cheap Ryanair flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭IrishManSaipan

These days I just head over the border or take a cheap Ryanair flight.

There is nothing better than coming home with your spoils of your trip abroad. Sparking up a Spanish John Player Blue(3.50 euro a pack) and saying a big fook you to our Fianna Fail over lords.

One of the finer things in life.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I often don't have the option to buy illegal smokes when I need them. I buy rollies anyway there not to bad yet.

Advertisement