Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lena84

its across two bags as far as i know, i flown with them before and brought two bags and a carry on was no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LadyLorr20

lena84 wrote: »
    its across two bags as far as i know, i flown with them before and brought two bags and a carry on was no problems

Has anybody flown with ethiad previously and do they know if its possible to check in a second 23kg bag, either on the day at the desk or online before hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Katy_B

Good luck to everyone flying over today and tomorrow. I'm worrying if my case is going to weigh anymore than 23kg at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

LadyLorr20 wrote: »
    Has anybody flown with ethiad previously and do they know if its possible to check in a second 23kg bag, either on the day at the desk or online before hand?

I have. It's a 23kg limit for your total baggage. Not 23kg per bag.

If you want to go over that limit, you will have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mcdbd

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I have. It's a 23kg limit for your total baggage. Not 23kg per bag.

If you want to go over that limit, you will have to pay.

Yea I think you can go up to 32 kg, but you have to pay over 23 kg. Looks like I'll be paying, cause I have books and other stuff I want to take. My case is heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Singing sarah

I have accepted a job in Al Ain, and won't be flying until the end of August. I don't really know a lot about the position. Is there anybody else flying around this time also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 teahank

Hey,

I just got offered a spare teaching position in ISC Ruwais with SABIS and I've only 48 hours to decide. I've been reading really mixed reviews about the whole thing and I know Ruwais is quite a small community. Anyone else in the same boat?? Particularly anyone who just got there. I'm really uncertain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Is it still possible to teach over in UAE for the upcoming term? I see jobs still advertised for teaching starting in September. I'm not talking about Sabis but is there still a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 con1920

hi
    I was offered a job in al ain in Madar international school, signed the contract and all that, but I am still waiting to receive my fights details and tickets sent emails to both the agency and school, no reply from school but agency said don't worry they'll send them! anyone else heading there and worked for them before?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Patches22

Hi all

Have had zero luck over the summer job searching in Ireland so am now beginning to think about further afield... Even if its too late for this year I wanted to think about options for next year. I've been reading throught the thread and it seems that tehre are a lot of mixed reviews and then again a lot of people heading off. I was wondering if any of you that have gone over the summer would be able to offer advice on the best channels to go through and the pros and cons? Some people make it sound downright dangerous :eek: Id'd appreciate and adavice/info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 MsJavanna1

UAE is a fantastic place! But all the horrible stories on the site about SABIS are correct. Absolutely, everything I read about SABIS happened when I went to the UAE SABIS. This is not a career opportunity. You will learn what not to do in your career, and you will see the negative outcome of negative reinforcement. The students are great, but the management is horrific. Although, one possess conflict resolution skills, these skills are completely useless in this establishment. SABIS believes that the teachers are children and are constantly blamed for everything. You must possess what I call the "ignore factor," you will need to be strong and ignore all the negativity from the inexperienced management especially AQCs. The AQCs are only there to find flaws in your abilities, rather than lead and train you. All the issues are solvable, but management finds it easier to play the blame game. Guess what!!! Teachers are blamed for everything. Upper management will never be on your side, you will never be praised. The motto is "no praise, no pay raise!" No need to worry about payday, they always pay. Passport, yes they will hold it in order to apply for your national id card (the cost is 350 DRH which is deducted from your salary). Once you get your national id card, you will get your passport back. But if you quit, you will not see your passport until you leave the country. If you quit, the labour board will apply a 6 month ban on your passport. Apartments off campus are great, but most teachers preferred staying on campus. Campus living is quiet and no one will bother you.

Starting wage is about 8000 DRH, which is not enough to live comfortably and save money. You can find jobs much greater than this. If you have a teaching degree, you can get about 13500 including living. You will need to do private tutoring, which pays about 200-250 DRH per hour. Just to get a driver's license will cost 700 DRH, Car Rental is about 2100 DRH per month. Average Phone cost is 250-500 DRH a month. Gas and food is cheap. Yes, the country is tax free, but you will pay for absolutely everything, for example if you drive and you cross a bridge the cost is 4 DRH per bridge. This charge is called SALIK. Depending on which road you use, you will pay about 10-20 DRH daily. If you want a life, you will need a car. Taxi's are not cheap, especially if you live in Sharjah, you will pay at least 100 DRH to get to DUBAI. Dining is inexpensive, however, bars and pubs are costly. Female cuts and colors range from 700-1000 DRH. Traffic Fines are from 500-2500 DRH. Hugh selection on clothing and are average in price. Fitness clubs are about 500 DRH per month. I suggest joining a fitness club to get away from SABIS and meet other expats. OR DUPLAYS is another great place to meet people.

SABIS has a huge turnover rate. My first week at SABIS had 7 quits and 3 runaways. Some have stayed long term because once you get used to the SABIS system it is the easiest job in the world (as long as you have the "ignore factor"). Annually you will receive small increments of pay. Seriously, you make more money just tutoring students in the evening.
    I met a teacher who tutors 4 nights a week and all day Saturdays, and cashes in 5200 DRH Weekly. Plus, she is praised and loved by the parents and doesn't have to take any abuse from anybody. Keep in mind her clientele list took a couple of years to build. But also keep in mind, there is no growth opportunity at SABIS.

Frankly, I would not put SABIS on your resume. When I went to reapply for jobs and SABIS was on my resume, and I hardly received any interviews. However, the minute I removed SABIS from my resume, I was flooded with phone calls and interviews, all starting at 12000 DRH including living up to 18000 DRH Living not included.

The mistake I made at SABIS, is I did not believe in my abilities. I had low self esteem and I settled. If you are a quality employee or teacher, hold out for a better school and position. You will find it! If I could give any advice, believe in your abilities. If you do not believe in your abilities, go and take further upgrading to better your abilities.

There will always be opportunity in the UAE, and the government is definitely working on systems to generate more jobs and recover from the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 icicle2000

I got a phone interview with SABIS, on the 20th.
    I was wondering if anyone who has had interviews with them before has any advice?

(I'm surprised that they're still interviewing in late September, even though I applied ages ago. o_O)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ahmed72

Rawias is good place but almost 250 km away from abu dhabi city

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Marie212

Hey just came across this thread. Is anyone thinking of applying for next year?? I don't know a whole lot about SABIS, just discovered it in the Grad Ireland book and I'm thinking of doing a CELTA course next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭O-Deazy

Hi Marie, I'm in the same boat as yourself. Don't know an awful lot about it but reading through this thread there are a lot of mixed reviews. Wouldn't get bogged down on the negatives too much as I believe its really down to the individual and of course where you end up. I know someone currently working in Abu Dhabi, through SABIS, and they're loving it.

I'm going to apply for next year and see how it goes. Like most people planning a move to UAE, Dubai and Abu Dhabi are top of the list. Have you applied for a place yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kell1209

Does anyone know if u can bring your dog? Small Maltese? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Kell, dogs are considered unclean but people do have them over here (I'm in Al Ain). I don't know what the process is for bringing a dog here but depending on who you come to work for you could be in a hotel for the first few weeks. Just something to consider. It may be better if you can get someone to mind the dog for you until you are settled in your accomodation and then send for the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I don't know anything about SABIS, but I work for the Abu Dhabi Education Council. Arrived almost 4 weeks ago, and am teaching in a school in al Ain. ADEC are a government body, and we teach Emirati kids in public schools, so the pay is very good, especially for those with experience, and higher qualifications gets you higher pay. Well worth it for anyone interested in teaching abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Marie212

O-Deazy wrote: »
    Hi Marie, I'm in the same boat as yourself. Don't know an awful lot about it but reading through this thread there are a lot of mixed reviews. Wouldn't get bogged down on the negatives too much as I believe its really down to the individual and of course where you end up. I know someone currently working in Abu Dhabi, through SABIS, and they're loving it.

I'm going to apply for next year and see how it goes. Like most people planning a move to UAE, Dubai and Abu Dhabi are top of the list. Have you applied for a place yet?

Hey :) No haven't applied for a place as of yet, is there a deadline? I'm really unsure at the moment what to do. It would be an amazing opportunity to teach out there! The move would be a bit scary for me I suppose, not knowing anyone there and coping with the heat which I've heard is unbearable.. I'm considering going to Australia next year to join a friend who moved there so my head is a bit all over the place at the minute as what to do!

Marie212 wrote: »
    Hey :) No haven't applied for a place as of yet, is there a deadline? I'm really unsure at the moment what to do. It would be an amazing opportunity to teach out there! The move would be a bit scary for me I suppose, not knowing anyone there and coping with the heat which I've heard is unbearable.. I'm considering going to Australia next year to join a friend who moved there so my head is a bit all over the place at the minute as what to do!

Not too sure about the deadline but there was people posting on here applying as late as March and still got offers. I got an email today stating, they want to schedule a phone interview for the 4th December. They also sent out an application form and information about Sabis and what it entails. Anyone else that applied get any word back yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 alancw

Does anybody happen to know what happens if you break a sabis contract?

Had a phone call from them today, asking could they bring forward my phone interview to this Wednesday. Has this happened to anybody else? If the interview goes well could they possibly be looking for me to start in January? I can't think of any other reason that they would want/need to bring the interview forward. Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eoinmjmac

O-Deazy wrote: »
    Had a phone call from them today, asking could they bring forward my phone interview to this Wednesday. Has this happened to anybody else? If the interview goes well could they possibly be looking for me to start in January? I can't think of any other reason that they would want/need to bring the interview forward. Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

Hey, Yeah I got an email today asking to phone interview this Thursday. I sent off the pack to them last week. I would think its a good thing they are interviewing us early. :) In the email they state the time frame they are looking to recruit you for, Mine states August 2013, which is perfect because Im still in college. My girlfriend also received an email today for interview tomorrow.

For all the negative heads out there, you must realize its a different country your dealing with, with different cultures. Everyone that I have spoken has great things to say about SABIS. And from my dealings with Sean Cooney and the SABIS crew I can see why, they are very efficient in all my dealings.

Don't listen to everything you read.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 alancw

SABIS employ people who are not teachers with no teaching experience and place them in schools to teach young kids with next to no training. And yes I know a person working for them at the moment. Sounds like a good company to work for alright.......

Thanks for that alan.. Anyway I just accepted an offer for Doha starting in January. Anyone else heading out that direction in January? If you're out the already, how do you find it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sophiapoz

hey, what kind of questions did they ask in the interview? I have an interview with them soon . Any help is much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eoinmjmac

sophiapoz wrote: »
    hey, what kind of questions did they ask in the interview? I have an interview with them soon . Any help is much appreciated :)

Hey, it depends is it the face to face or the phone interview. If its the phone one its very informal, based on the questions you answered in the application form. Why do you want to teach, Why do you want to relocate, Discipline was a main thing in mine. If you have teaching experience they will zone in on that. But again its really just a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sophiapoz

Thank you so much. I will have a phone interview with them and am currently completing an undergraduate course so I only have a little bit of teaching experience in Summer camps etc.. I will look over the discipline policies so. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lulu90

Hey everyone,

So I've had my phone interview in November but still have to send the police clearance report (I'm going about it tomorrow). The face to face interviews will be in March (from what I can remember). Anyway, just wondering from people who have been through the face to face interview, how difficult will it be? Judging by how easy everything has been so far, I've kind of got this idea in my head that I should get the job by just turning up to the interview and reiterating what I said in the phone interview and application form. But is it more challenging and competitive than this?

Despite the negative stories, I really want this position because I see no jobs in Ireland for me and the idea of getting to live and work in the Middle East is very appealing.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Kates297

Thinking of taking a job with sabis but heard mixed reports about it... Anyone on here who's been / is our there? What's it like?

Advertisement