Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

chordtype wrote: »
    Ha, I just so happened to be reading about this in the Wrestling Observer back issues that I'm working through. I'll try my best to summarise here. This is the info from the Oct 18 1992 issue. Hart won the title in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan at a television taping. It was supposedly a last minute decision as they needed to get a babyface over because of uncertainty about the status of then top babyface Ultimate Warrior. Warrior wanted more money and Hogan was gone for a while so they needed to get a new face over. Originally they were to announce the title change on their syndicated shows and some expected it to air in full on the 10/19 Prime Time show.

This is from the 0ct 26 issue. On the syndicated shows that WWF had they managed to insert an interview with Bret discussing his win. At the end of these shows a clip was shown of Bret holding up the title with a Coliseum video logo on the screen which led people to believe that the match won't be shown on tv but used to try to get people to buy the video.

Not sure if the match is on any DVD's though.
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    Just watching Survivor Series 1992 (as you do) and Bret Hart is champion! He beat Flair for the WWF title in October in an (untelevised??) match! WTF; how did this come about, and is this match available on any WWE DVD?

In Bret's book he says Vince told him it'd be televised but never was.

It appears on the VHS compilation Smack 'em Whack 'em and (I think) 1992 Year in Review - it might be on other Coliseum compilations too. A small amount of footage was shown in the Bret Hart DVD documentary. Bret apparently dislikes the match because Ric called all the spots. It's about 28mins long and finishes when Flair submits to the sharpshooter.

It was the 2nd such time the title changed hands that year not on PPV. A month or so earlier Flair raised his second WWF title beating Randy Savage in a TV match that was also shown on the 1992 Year in Review tape.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Cheers, must track down that 1992 year in review tape!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Cheers, must track down that 1992 year in review tape!

51HDEMPTCPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

£2.99 here mate-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WWF-1992-Year-View-VHS/dp/B00004CN3F/ref=sr_1_1?s=video&ie=UTF8&qid=1285707179&sr=1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

For god knows whatever reason I've decided that I'd like to buy HIAC this weekend. I know that it's on Sky Box Office and not Sky Sports but is there anyway to order it on UPC. Just got it in the new gaff and I can only see one PPV channel. Do I need to have the Sky Sports package?

Can I still order and watch this show?

For god knows whatever reason I've decided that I'd like to buy HIAC this weekend. I know that it's on Sky Box Office and not Sky Sports but is there anyway to order it on UPC. Just got it in the new gaff and I can only see one PPV channel. Do I need to have the Sky Sports package?

Yeah, best bet is to ring up UPC to order the PPV. PPVs come on to channel 862

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

If you do ring, call back the next day to make sure it was placed. I ordered Summerslam my first week of UPC (ordered it the day before) and waited until 1am to no avail. Arsebiscuit never placed it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

after Vince came out on ECW and made the speech about Chris Benoit, has there been any mention of him at all by anyone? even accidentally?

after Vince came out on ECW and made the speech about Chris Benoit, has there been any mention of him at all by anyone? even accidentally?

no-one's said the words "Chris Benoit" on TV since that ECW. However he did slip into one or two montages (eg when they were promoting TLC matches).....Right after benoit died, a couple of people started using/stealing the crossface much more frequently for some reason (HBK, HHH, Samoa Joe) which nobody appreciated!

There was a mention of Benoit on WWE.com when they were listing best WrestleMania moments. He has been on compilation DVDs since, but his name wouldn't be on the back of the DVD/match listings. If there's ever a match where he's in it, WWE will delete any audio commentary where they talk about benoit.

Crazy, huh?

Watching a preview for the new AAA Heroes del Ring game, noticing it is looks like a obvious re-skin of TNA iMPACT's game.

14lhaox.jpg

Anyway, does AAA use a 6-sided ring in general? If so, how long have they been using it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Yeah, best bet is to ring up UPC to order the PPV. PPVs come on to channel 862

Yeah you can get the PPV without having the skysports package. I ordered wrestlemania with UPC even though I had none of the sports channels.

But as the other guy said... always check its working a few hours before hand and if its not ring them immediately, you won't get any support from UPC at midnight when the show starts.

A preview programme usually runs for a few hours beforehand, so you should see that on the PPV channel and if you don't ring them asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

alright lads.

Who called hhh an asshole during some hall of fame speech? they said something like "theres hhh, are you still an asshole?" cant seem to find that vidyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Charisteas wrote: »
    51HDEMPTCPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sorry for going OT but I love the plug - 'who did what to who'. The ronseal approach to wrestling vids, class.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

Watching a preview for the new AAA Heroes del Ring game, noticing it is looks like a obvious re-skin of TNA iMPACT's game.

14lhaox.jpg

Anyway, does AAA use a 6-sided ring in general? If so, how long have they been using it for?

The AAA game is similar to TNA Impact, but it is not the same game engine with different skins. It's pretty fun but very odd at how slow the Luchadors are, even when running.

AAA started using the six sided ring back around 2000 or so. I think it was them using the new type of ring that inspired TNA to try it out when Impact began.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

alright lads.

Who called hhh an asshole during some hall of fame speech? they said something like "theres hhh, are you still an asshole?" cant seem to find that vidyo.

Was that during Ric Flair's induction in 2008? Was it from the crowd? I don't know who it was anyway...
    geeky wrote: »
    Sorry for going OT but I love the plug - 'who did what to who'. The ronseal approach to wrestling vids, class.
    Yeah a lot of those compilation tapes had some dreadfully garish cheesy artwork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Question about Jerry Lawlers early days in the WWE.

I know his first real feud was with Bret in mid 93 but he was there for quite a while before that. Late 92 I think it was when he arrived.

Can anyone remember the angle for his debut? Was it something to do with him being friends with Bobby Henan or something like that?

And also when did he first start doing commentary? I remember him being at the table on a few of the last Prime Time shows but I'm not sure if he was actually commentating on matches that early was he?

Someone help refresh my memory please.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

going by wiki:
    Lawler began his WWF career in December 1992 as an announcer on WWF Superstars of Wrestling.[2][5] From 1993 to 1995, he feuded with Bret Hart and the rest of the Hart family. The feud began at King of the Ring when Lawler interrupted Hart's victory ceremony and attacked Bret.[2][6] Lawler claimed that he was the only true king in the World Wrestling Federation (WWF), and the two were scheduled to wrestle at SummerSlam to settle the dispute. At the event, however, Lawler came to the ring on crutches and claimed that he could not wrestle because of injuries suffered in a car accident.[7] Hart faced Lawler's "court jester", Doink the Clown instead, and beat him by submission. Lawler then attacked Hart, revealing that he was not injured.[7] Hart defeated Lawler by submission but refused to release the Sharpshooter. As a result, the referee reversed the decision and awarded the title of "Undisputed King of the World Wrestling Federation" to Lawler.[8]

Heres some more details:
    In 1992, Lawler and Jarrett would engage in an incredible feud with the Moondogs over those tagteam titles. The feud lasted for most of 1991 and 1992 and would earn Pro Wrestling Illustrated's Feud of the Year for 1992. It was during the summer of 1992 that the WWF came to Memphis and Lawler and Jarrett announced on Memphis television that they would be in attendance. Lawler accompanied Jarrett to the show, and watched as Jeff lept the guardrail and challenged Bret Hart for an Intercontinental title match.
    While Lawler battled WWF superstars in Memphis, he also began to appear on WWF television, initially as an announcer, joining Vince McMahon on WWF Superstars of Wrestling. However, he could not let his title of the King of Wrestling go unchallenged and attacked Hart after the Hitman won the 1993 King of the Ring tournament. The attack led to a feud that lasted for months. Not only would Lawler battle Hart but he would insult Hart's parents (Stu and Helen) and even bring in his "Demented Dentist" Isaac Yankem (now known as Kane). Even a brief departure from the WWF in late 1993 due to legal problems did little to derail the Hart-Lawler feud.

I should mention that Lawler used to cut vicious, scathing promos on Vince's child-friendly WWF whilst he was in the USWA. He was a serious heel. When USWA was turned into basically a feeder-system for the WWF in the early-mid 90s, Lawler was brought in to the WWF, and as punishment, was given a comedy persona and storylines (eg with midgets - dink, wink, pink; having to suck his own smelly toe etc)

Talking to a friend earlier this evening and WCW came up.

An angle i remember (that my friend denies remembering, thus not existing.. :rolleyes:) is when ric flair was making his son david like the runt of the liter.

Making him play in a lake in the woods instead of their ma-husive private pool and that.

But the question is, does anyone remember when this was roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

One thing I've been wondering recently is what do the young kids watching these days actually think of it? Do they actually get into it and believe it as most of us did when we were nippers? What with all the stipulations these day meaning so little do they actually care when Cena gets fired for example? If anyone has any first hand experience with a youngster I think it'd be interesting to hear.

• Advertisement

They love it and think it's great. However they get bored of it in a few years and never look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

As The Rock is still not in the hall of fame, does this hint at a temporary come back to the wwf ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

As The Rock is still not in the hall of fame, does this hint at a temporary come back to the wwf ?

I severely doubt it, he has no need to ever wrestle again.

Just in relation to the Hall of Fame, Miami is really pushing to hold Wrestlemania in 2012 and if it gets it then The Rock would be a strong candidate to go in that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

flahavaj wrote: »
    I severely doubt it, he has no need to ever wrestle again.
    Maybe he has a contractual responsibility he has to honor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

When will the first inductee to the 2011 Hall Of Fame class be announced?

Maybe he has a contractual responsibility he has to honor

Rock doesn't have a contract with WWE I believe.

Charisteas wrote: »
    When will the first inductee to the 2011 Hall Of Fame class be announced?

They usually start announcing names after the Rumble. Ted Snr. was the first announced last year and I'm pretty certain it was just one or two weeks after the Rumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Morninglory

Are there any modern day feuds? Like HBK and Bret Hart back in the day. Also is Shelton Benjamin still in the wwe. In my opinion he is or was the best wrestler at wwe although I dont think he has the charisma to be pushed for a title shot which is unfortunate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

abCQNLVafF.jpg......abCQEm7abj.jpg...abCQNRGalR.jpg

• Advertisement

Of course there's feuds; they are and have always been the building blocks of wrestling. Or wait, do you mean legit feuds? As in backstage problems?

Also, Shelton was relased a few months back and is doing the Indy rounds in America (and iirc in Europe) at the moment.

Yep, i'm sure he means bitter feuds steeped in reality/backstage politics. Last 'real life' feud I can think of is Edge/Matt Hardy in 2005 (although they had actually reconciled before the feud started).....

Em......at ONS 2005, JBL beat up the Blue Meanie pretty bad. Meanie had previously stated that JBL was a bully, shockingly a drunk JBL decided to confirm that... Blue Meanie got a push at formed the short-lived bWo on SmackDown (and got a win over JBL i think) later that year (and WWE avoided a lawsuit)

While filming of the 2006 SummerSlam commercial; Batista was bragging about how he was a true main eventer (or better than everyone else etc) and Booker T took exception, they had a scrap, Booker T battered him :pac: Anyway World Champion Booker T jobbed to Batista at SummerSlam. and Jobbed to the returning HHH the next SummerSlam! :p

There are more but, to answer your question; no.....not really. All these are incidents, not ongoing feuds. Oh well :)

Shelton and Haas have been doing dates with ROH (king of the indies)

Advertisement