Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&A thread - Your Questions Answered! **no chat**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Why was The Honky Tonk Man a heel? He was a parody of Elvis, and everyone loved Elvis, surely he would have made more money for the WWF as a babyface, selling Elvis t-shirts and those Elvis style sunglasses.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Charisteas wrote: »
    Why was The Honky Tonk Man a heel? He was a parody of Elvis, and everyone loved Elvis, surely he would have made more money for the WWF as a babyface, selling Elvis t-shirts and those Elvis style sunglasses.

The short of it was that the crowd didn't respond positively enough to him as a face, more that he's just a lame impostor, and did much more so as a heel.

Found this on wikipedia
    1986 - Originally pushed as a face wrestler with an Elvis impersonator gimmick, Honky soon cut a series of promos that aired on the WWE's syndicated programming asking fans for a "vote of confidence." The results came back negative, and it was not long before Honky became a cocky heel and took on Jimmy "Mouth of the South" Hart as his manager. Hart was billed as "The Colonel" for Honky's matches, a reference to Col. Tom Parker.
    So it sounds like the crowd didn't warm to his gimmick at all. Maybe it's because he wasn't that pretty, or couldn't dance or sing!!
    1987 - Heel Savage was champion and challenged by the face Honky. During that match, Savage nearly defeated Honky until Honky's allies, the Hart Foundation (who had interfered throughout the match), ran into the ring and brutally attacked Savage, getting Honky disqualified. Savage's valet, Miss Elizabeth, attempted to stop the carnage but Honky shoved her down and she fled to the locker room; meanwhile, Honky completed his attempt to break his guitar over Savage's head
    So my guess is that he wasn't over as a face and they just kept going back to a heel persona.

Wrestled on the indies as a face (although in 2000, it'd be a nostalgia-face reaction)

He returned for a stint in 2008 to WWE as a comedy face/heel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Who came up with the idea of David arquette winning the world title in wcw?

CMpunked wrote: »
    Who came up with the idea of David arquette winning the world title in wcw?

FIRE R _ S S _ !

Fill in the blanks :D:D

He defended him booking Aquette as champion, saying that it got into the newspapers the next day, and saying that since people are still talking about it today, it had it's intended effect -- getting people talking about WCW -- and it was a money-maker for sure; that you can't "buy" that kind of mainstream publicity.

He thinks that people giving out how f'n stupid ruining your World title was actually good for WCW, because you were talking about WCW....despite that mortally damaging the credibility of the only title that mattered....well, barely a year later, WCW was out of business.

Cheers for that.
    My follow up question was there any sense in the whole thing but you've answered that too lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Tribesmen7

I stopped watching wrestling sometime around 1996 mainly because the show was aimed at kids and I grew out of the WWE at the time and for a short while after. I think the final straw turned out to be the Fake Razor Ramon and Diesel. I don't remember much about them so my question is when JR brought in fake Diesel and Ramon did the WWE as a whole push them as the same men that had previously played the characters and in doing so insult the intelligence of the fans or was it a storyline where heel JR brought them in and they were always acknowledged as being different people.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    The short of it was that the crowd didn't respond positively enough to him as a face, more that he's just a lame impostor, and did much more so as a heel.

That makes sense, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Tribesmen7 wrote: »
    did the WWE as a whole push them as the same men that had previously played the characters and in doing so insult the intelligence of the fans or was it a storyline where heel JR brought them in and they were always acknowledged as being different people.

The WWF of course owned the copyright to the Diesel and Razor Ramon and everything about them, probably down to the outfits. In the outset hell JR was talking about bring Diesel and Razor back in but he neglected to mention that Scott Hall and Kevin Nash wouldn't be coming back to the WWF. I think Vince mentioned it a few times in his commentary that these guys were under contract elsewhere - 1996 was pretty much the first time the WWF ever acknowledged the competition which was fairly historic in itself.

Eventually then when JR unveiled his new Razor and Diesel it was acknowledged by everyone that they weren't Hall or Nash and JR in his commentary tried desperately to put them over saying how talented they were and I think even hinting that they were better than the previous wrestlers who occupied the monikers.

Short answer: yes it was acknowledged as soon as they were shown on camera that they weren't Hall or Nash and JR worked overtime to try and get them over by saying they were better than Hall/Nash.

A couple of TNA questions.

Is RVD legitimately injured? And when is he scheduled back? Didn't want to ask in any of the TNA threads or Google it because I haven't yet seen the PPV from last Sunday and want to avoid spoilers.

And what's the story with Daffney? I heard on a Canadian wrestling radio show that she was released, yet nothing about it on her Wikipedia page. Again want to avoid wrestling websites until I'm up to date on my TNA viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Is RVD legitimately injured? And when is he scheduled back? Didn't want to ask in any of the TNA threads or Google it because I haven't yet seen the PPV from last Sunday and want to avoid spoilers.

No he just wanted some time off. Think he'll be back within a couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

Why is Sheamus billed as the first born Irish champ?

Has there been a 2nd/3rd Gen. Irish champion, or someone with an Irish gimmick/

Why is Sheamus billed as the first born Irish champ?

Has there been a 2nd/3rd Gen. Irish champion, or someone with an Irish gimmick/

I thought it was "First Irish born champ", not "First born Irish champ".

And there has been at least one 4th Generation Irish champion - his name is Vincent Kennedy McMahon :D

glenjamin wrote: »

Thanks. Sounds like a slap in the face to TNA, he has only been in the company for 6 months, and they gave him the WHC, yet he still wanted time off. And during an ECW storyline too :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭glenjamin

And when is he scheduled back?
    Actually he returned at last night Impact tapings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

How much does a 20 foot by 20 foot ring cost? And where can you get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

barura wrote: »
    How much does a 20 foot by 20 foot ring cost? And where can you get them?

I suspect quite a lot and Highspots.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

glenjamin wrote: »

Actually, my understanding was that his deal had a set number of dates in it and, by using him on loads of house shows, TNA had almost used their alloted dates up entirely. There's a similar situation with flair, and they're paying him a good 'per appearance' fee now, but they didn't want to do the same with RVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

geeky wrote: »
    Actually, my understanding was that his deal had a set number of dates in it and, by using him on loads of house shows, TNA had almost used their alloted dates up entirely. There's a similar situation with flair, and they're paying him a good 'per appearance' fee now, but they didn't want to do the same with RVD.

So they take him off TV for just under four weeks? Personally, and this is nothing but a personal opinion with no sourced fact but knowing RVD's ego, I think he didn't want to drop the title. The situation was far too peculiar for me. He's running through dates too quickly so you take the title off him and pull him off TV for a month to deal with it? That doesn't really add up to me.

So they take him off TV for just under four weeks? Personally, and this is nothing but a personal opinion with no sourced fact but knowing RVD's ego, I think he didn't want to drop the title. The situation was far too peculiar for me. He's running through dates too quickly so you take the title off him and pull him off TV for a month to deal with it? That doesn't really add up to me.

They done that with foley.
    (except the title bit)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I know, it's totally nonsensical, but this is TNA, where Vince Russo has a writing job. I suppose it may have been partly for his own good after the 'rock stars' rant - the temptation to potato him must be profound.

Just be grateful the ninjas didn't get him. God I hate those guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Well, here's 2 sources to back up the claim that TNA were running low on dates that they could use him without going over

Quick Question : Has TNA explained why Madison Rayne and Tara are together? Tara was fired because she lost a match to Rayne a few months back.

Listen, even an off-hand 1-2 sentences explaining that their hate for Love/Sky is enough.

Quick Question : Has TNA explained why Madison Rayne and Tara are together? Tara was fired because she lost a match to Rayne a few months back.

It was explained on ReAction that Rayne thought Tara took her to the limit like nobody else has and that Rayne thought she had to bring her back as her bodyguard.
    Well, here's 2 sources to back up the claim that TNA were running low on dates that they could use him without going over

I konw that, but it just doesn't make sense because he only missed around eight dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Willie Stroker

I konw that, but it just doesn't make sense because he only missed around eight dates.

8 DATES ?? Did you even think of house shows and ppvs . jeez its not speculation its fact , some of the tna contracts have certain number of dates they can fulfill they probably wanted to take him off now build a big angle with aybss and taking some time off as well .

8 DATES ?? Did you even think of house shows and ppvs . jeez its not speculation its fact , some of the tna contracts have certain number of dates they can fulfill they probably wanted to take him off now build a big angle with aybss and taking some time off as well .

He missed five TV/PPV dates by my count and some house shows. Eight was probably a little low but he missed no more than twelve. The way it played out made absolutely no sense, even for TNA.

Where did Austin get the whole "And that's the bottom line...!" line?

Just watching Survivor Series 1992 (as you do) and Bret Hart is champion! He beat Flair for the WWF title in October in an (untelevised??) match! WTF; how did this come about, and is this match available on any WWE DVD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Just watching Survivor Series 1992 (as you do) and Bret Hart is champion! He beat Flair for the WWF title in October in an (untelevised??) match! WTF; how did this come about, and is this match available on any WWE DVD?

Ha, I just so happened to be reading about this in the Wrestling Observer back issues that I'm working through. I'll try my best to summarise here. This is the info from the Oct 18 1992 issue. Hart won the title in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan at a television taping. It was supposedly a last minute decision as they needed to get a babyface over because of uncertainty about the status of then top babyface Ultimate Warrior. Warrior wanted more money and Hogan was gone for a while so they needed to get a new face over. Originally they were to announce the title change on their syndicated shows and some expected it to air in full on the 10/19 Prime Time show.

This is from the 0ct 26 issue. On the syndicated shows that WWF had they managed to insert an interview with Bret discussing his win. At the end of these shows a clip was shown of Bret holding up the title with a Coliseum video logo on the screen which led people to believe that the match won't be shown on tv but used to try to get people to buy the video.

Not sure if the match is on any DVD's though.

It was explained on ReAction that Rayne thought Tara took her to the limit like nobody else has and that Rayne thought she had to bring her back as her bodyguard.

Is Reaction worth watching, storyline wise?

• Advertisement

Is Reaction worth watching, storyline wise?

I only watch it every couple of weeks but it fills in some of the gaps and is overall intriguing TV, the iMPACT! Player of the Week segments are particularly good for character development.

Advertisement