Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Leo Varadkar was saying MN would cost €2.5-3bn last night & Dartu would be 2.5bn.

Are these figures even accurate? For one thing, most of the cost would be paid back over 25 years of installments.

Secondly, the final offers from the 2 preferred tenderers have not yet been received.

By saying MN deferred, not cancelled, the gov may not have to repay the tenderers incurred tender costs, but it would be interesting to see what the cost would actually be for MN, per year, to the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

By saying MN deferred, not cancelled, the gov may not have to repay the tenderers incurred tender costs, but it would be interesting to see what the cost would actually be for MN, per year, to the state.

I guess it also means that DCC and Fingal won't have to repay the special development levies that they have been (and will continue to) collect.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

As per the contract they have to be paid €1m each. A fraction of their costs to date but what they agreed to when the process started.

If the bidders want any more they have to bring it to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

monument wrote: »
    As per the contract they have to be paid €1m each. A fraction of their costs to date but what they agreed to when the process started.

If the bidders want any more they have to bring it to court.

Monument, do you work for the RPA, or one of the bidders?

• Advertisement

Monument, do you work for the RPA, or one of the bidders?

No.

No.

Yet you seem to be very well acquainted with the terms of the contracts between the RPA and the bidders. I haven't seen this figure mentioned in any reports about the metro, or any discussion about the metro. And I'd be very surprised if details about such specific clauses in the contracts between the RPA and the bidders were meant for the eyes or ears of the general public.

Is there something you'd like to tell us, monument?

Yet you seem to be very well acquainted with the terms of the contracts between the RPA and the bidders. I haven't seen this figure mentioned in any reports about the metro, or any discussion about the metro. And I'd be very surprised if details about such specific clauses in the contracts between the RPA and the bidders were meant for the eyes or ears of the general public.

Is there something you'd like to tell us, monument?

The minister for transport stated it yesterday to a room of journalists at the department of transport briefing. And, just in case you're not happy enough with Leo's word, I also double checked it with one of the preferred bidders -- who confirmed it to me after I told them what the minister had said.

Happy now? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

Metro North because I think it's a Celtic Tiger project whose time has past. Anyway, I will wear the 'clueless' title as a badge of honour - many thanks. :D

Is that your sole reason for disliking metro north? the era in which it was conceived? You may find this hard to believe but there were some good idea's during the celtic tiger era also. Clueless indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

markpb wrote: »
    I guess it also means that DCC and Fingal won't have to repay the special development levies that they have been (and will continue to) collect.
    They can continue to collect the levies in Fingal for 35 years!!

• Advertisement

The minister for transport stated it yesterday to a room of journalists at the department of transport briefing. And, just in case you're not happy enough with Leo's word, I also double checked it with one of the preferred bidders -- who confirmed it to me after I told them what the minister had said.

Happy now? :)

Very happy. Thank you for clarifying.

So you're either an official in the Dept. of Transport, or you're a journalist. Would you care to tell us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Can the levies be diverted to other public transport projects if MN is cancelled?

AngryLips wrote: »
    Can the levies be diverted to other public transport projects if MN is cancelled?

No. If cancelled, people who paid the levies will want their money back!

Does anyone think Metro North will realistically be built before it's 10 year planning permission runs out?

Even if they revisit looking into it in 2015, as they have 'promised', it's likely the Gov may still be broke & a difficult PPP market out there.

But what about in 7 or 8 years time? They could even begin a day before planning permission ceases in 2021, I think. And you'd hope we & the PPPs could afford it by then!

Btw, Luas BXD is being built in 2015 to 2018. Why not begin construction next year?

Ah monument, come on. You can tell us. Just us here on boards.

Your secret will be safe with us.:D

I'm not revealing anything that was not in the papers today or online.

But it's no secret who I am -- See the current first, second, third or fifth links in my sig if it's of any importance to you, it should not be. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Do any of you Saddo's actually watch Football?????

What an escape from the humdrum ****e of Irish infrastructure. Next they'll be making The Commitments part two.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

We lost the Metro but won the Heineken Cup, All-Ireland and are going to the Euro soccer championships. Possibly where travelling fans will see working mass transit systems. Then come home. I think I'll have another beer.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Do any of you Saddo's actually watch Football?????

What an escape from the humdrum ****e of Irish infrastructure. Next they'll be making The Commitments part two.:D

Football? Was there a match on in Croke Park tonight? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

I'm not revealing anything that was not in the papers today or online.

But it's no secret who I am -- See the current first, second, third or fifth links in my sig if it's of any importance to you, it should not be. ;)

In fairness hes very open about who he is, unlike the rest of us :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I've campaigned for better public transport in Dublin and Ireland since about 1977 but I'm delighted to see the abandonment of both these projects. Metro North because I think it's a Celtic Tiger project whose time has past and DART Undergound because it's a CIE/IE project. I would like to have seen Luas extension BXD binned too because it follows a nonsensical route. Anyway, I will wear the 'clueless' title as a badge of honour - many thanks. :D

In other words, you've been reading too much kevin myers and his understudy john waters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

RIP THREAD

Lets be realistic and consign this thread to where it belongs.....a history book.

My opinion here is based on how desperate the RPA MN facebook page has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

DWCommuter wrote: »
    RIP THREAD

Lets be realistic and consign this thread to where it belongs.....a history book.

My opinion here is based on how desperate the RPA MN facebook page has become.

Yep. I'm guessing all the marketing collateral that is the rpa.ie website and facebook page will disappear completely when RPA and NRA are merged into some new daft agency.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

robd wrote: »
    Yep. I'm guessing all the marketing collateral that is the rpa.ie website and facebook page will disappear completely when RPA and NRA are merged into some new daft agency.

Shouldn't the NRA and RPA not just be merged into the NTA?

bk wrote: »
    Shouldn't the NRA and RPA not just be merged into the NTA?

Stop. That's makes more sense than my joke comment on twitter that all transport bodies could merge into this amazingly name body call the department for transport.

Their remit is in planning and dealing with contracts, so they are just like the NTA. It would make too much sense to merge them all together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 great1

lods wrote: »
    http://www.herald.ie/news/40000-jobs-go-down-with-metro-north-2931701.html

The Figure gets bigger & bigger:eek:

Any advance on 40,000 jobs :rolleyes:

40,000 1/2 [one part timer]
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

THE prospect of the multibillion-euro Metro North system ever being built appears doomed after a key state agency said it was inferior to another major rail project — the DART Underground.
    A report by the National Transport Authority has recommended that the DART Underground "represents the most beneficial public transport project within the Dublin area, with its benefits impacting over a wider area".

The NTA report, seen by the Irish Examiner, states: "If only one of these two large projects can proceed, the better project for the region is DART Underground."

It claims the DART Underground — a 7.6km tunnel linking Heuston Station to the city centre and Docklands area with stops at Pearse Station, St Stephen’s Green and Christchurch — would see all rail lines serving the capital fully integrated "for the first time".

While both projects were praised in terms of their economic potential, the NTA described plans for the DART Underground as "transformative". A separate study by Indecon Consultants also concluded that the DART Underground would deliver greater transport and economic benefits than Metro North.

The NTA report was requested by Transport Minister Leo Varadkar last May as part of the Government’s capital expenditure review, published this month.

The NTA’s recommendation that the underground should be prioritised effectively means plans for Dublin Metro will be dumped, as the Government is unlikely to have finance available for both schemes.

Public Expenditure Minister Brendan Howlin stressed that Metro North and the DART Underground were merely being deferred, rather than cancelled, due to their high cost and serious restrictions on both private investors and the Government to secure funding for such projects.

Metro North has already cost the state €150 million and it is likely to pay out a further €2m compensation to short-listed bidders, with the additional risk of related legal action.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/metro-north-doomed-after-report-favours-dart-project-174535.html

Now that these two projects have been postponed for a long time, I suppose IE may be able to redeploy staff who were working on the interconnector project to other areas.

But what happens now for the RPA, given that they don't actually run any services and that their only project (the Luas BXD line) is scheduled to go ahead only in the distant future?

I mean - just to clarify that last post - the DTO, another public service body involved in transport, were able to keep their head low over the last few years, continued to manage their journey planner, and now, Hey Presto, they seem to have become the National Transport Agency.

Will the RPA be able to perform similar magic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

The RPA have been tasked with developing Dublin's BRT system so I think they have enough work to keep them afloat for the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement