Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Bambi wrote: »
    Because Dublin has a long history of successfully running connection services between different transport modes? :confused:
    If we can't get a proper handle on these things then DU is a waste of time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

murphaph wrote: »
    If we can't get a proper handle on these things then DU is a waste of time.

If we can't get a proper handle on these things then everything is a waste of time, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The hope is that "the causes of failure" will have been banished by then.

Who knows? We might even have an integrated travel card by then, mar dhea

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Was/is there to be a midterm capital investment plan review this month? I remember people mentioning it a while back in the hope that the Metro North timeline would be brought forward.

Has anyone heard anything on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Who knows? We might even have an integrated travel card by then, mar dhea

Is leap not integrated enough yet for ya?

What do you actually want? We're a sham in this kip at the best of times, but do people actually know what they want? What's wrong with leap?

There's so many things that could be done differently but you do realise how difficult the logistics and intransigence that the NTA are working with here from all sorts of stakeholders right?
    Leap is one of the success stories. And the fact that it is now integrated with Dublin Bikes and available in the other cities for use shows just what a success it is.

There's much work to be done to get it to where other similar systems are but Jesus, things take time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What do you actually want? We're a sham in this kip at the best of times, but do people actually know what they want? What's wrong with leap?

There's so many things that could be done differently but you do realise how difficult the logistics and intransigence that the NTA are working with here from all sorts of stakeholders right?
    Leap is one of the success stories. And the fact that it is now integrated with Dublin Bikes and available in the other cities for use shows just what a success it is.

There's much work to be done to get it to where other similar systems are but Jesus, things take time.
    If the actual transport infrastructure itself was to the same standard as Leap, there would be a lot less complaining around here. Leap is the least of our worires.

marno21 wrote: »
    If the actual transport infrastructure itself was to the same standard as Leap, there would be a lot less complaining around here. Leap is the least of our worires.

I know it is. And yet people continue to moan about it. It's mental.

For a country with seemingly epic ability to complain (you'd swear we were Danish or German and spoiled with such high standards throughout our lives) when things (apparently) go wrong (Eircode[the bellyaching that continues about this drives me spare]) or don't work (Eircode [didn't work with Google Maps on day one]/Leap [apparently it's not integrated enough]), we really don't help ourselves when we vote for charlatans and shysters and leftie loons who have no coherent plan about improving society. And when we do have people with plans (no fan of James Reilly but I was all for Universal Health Insurance), it seems to come down to the apparent bottom line and not the societal good.

We're a sham of a people. An absolute sham.

You would have thought that being 10 years late and double its budget it would be integrated out the yazoo, but nope. People are still using LEAP like virtual coins on dublin bus :confused:.

Literally half the job for twice the price once more

Which is why the idea of integrated anything in this country makes me chuckle

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

You would have thought that being 10 years late and double its budget it would be integrated out the yazoo, but nope. People are still using LEAP like virtual coins on dublin bus :confused:.

Literally half the job for twice the price once more

Which is why the idea of integrated anything in this country makes me chuckle

I am as big a critic of the delays in infrastructure delivery and the lack of ambition as anyone but I use LEAP and it works very well for me. Where do you feel it is lacking?

MICKEYG wrote: »
    I am as big a critic of the delays in infrastructure delivery and the lack of ambition as anyone but I use LEAP and it works very well for me. Where do you feel it is lacking?

Just in case you're quoting posts without reading them :D:

People are still using LEAP like virtual coins on dublin bus

that and the previosuly mentioned 20 odd million that got thrown onto its budget to push it live

I'm northsider so I don't get to use fabbalus new contraptions like the luas and dart. How is the integration going there? Swipe your leap card on the bus then hop onto a luas/dart and its all counted as one journey when you hop off? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

MICKEYG wrote: »

Having to pay for a second mode of transport (albeit discounted). That is not how integrated ticketing works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Just in case you're quoting posts without reading them :D:

People are still using LEAP like virtual coins on dublin bus

that and the previosuly mentioned 20 odd million that got thrown onto its budget to push it live

I'm northsider so I don't get to use fabbalus new contraptions like the luas and dart. How is the integration going there? Swipe your leap card on the bus then hop onto a luas/dart and its all counted as one journey when you hop off? :confused:

In fairness, the bolded is not the fault of Leap itself really, it's a problem for Dublin Bus to sort out.

Integrated transfers is the one big failing of Leap right now I agree with that, but again, arguably that's down to the inability of the multiple service providers to get their **** together and allow for transfers between them.

MJohnston wrote: »
    In fairness, the bolded is not the fault of Leap itself really, it's a problem for Dublin Bus to sort out.

Integrated transfers is the one big failing of Leap right now I agree with that, but again, arguably that's down to the inability of the multiple service providers to get their **** together and allow for transfers between them.

Which goes back to my original point that:
    putting forward plans that failed in the past and expecting them to succeed while the causes of failure are all still in place is naive in the extreme

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we keep to Metro North, and discussions of ticketing/leap should be kept to a thread like this.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It would be massive pressure relief on 3 counts - Dublin Airport connection, general Dublin area transport, and the housing shortage. For me, this and DU are absolute no-brainers for expenditure.

If ministers want to attract people here due to Brexit, we absolutely need these infrastructure improvements in the Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Great news. But the currently proposed dates are a farce. There is mention of the many benefits in article that mn will bring. Why not just go with the original scheme and show some vision for a change?! What will metro inferior actually "save" that's what I'd like to know...

"An Bord Pleanála said today that the Metro North application process cost €69,461. The permission is in place for the next ten years and also covers the acquisition of lands currently owned by Fingal County Council and the Dublin Airport Authority, as well as land occupied by Whitehall Rangers FC and Na Fianna GAA."

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thejournal.ie/metro-north-planning-permission-approved-246137-Oct2011/%3Famp%3D1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Agreed. As I said on SSC, bringing it up to 2019 isn't much of an indication of anything in reality. It's political positioning at best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Department of Public Expenditure Reform are due to issue a statement at 3pm on the mid-term review of the capital plan so we should know more soon enough.

planning irish style, in 2015 announce MN is off, suggest a metro north cheap version immediately for completion in 2027, a year later. the new scheme proposal on the never never, suggest bringing metro north inferior date forward :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

They allocated an additional €5bn to the capital expenditure plan last summer, they've basically announced a review to determine how it will be spent. No specific mention of Metro North in the plan. It's pretty scant on detail.

Ministers Donohoe and Noonan set out approach to mid-term review of the Capital Plan
    ... “This Government is strongly committed to meeting priority public capital needs. This commitment is clearly evidenced by the additional €5 billion allocated to capital spending in last year’s Summer Economic Statement ...

Submissions for the first phase of the review will be sought from Departments and key stakeholders and a public consultation will also be undertaken to inform the review (details to be announced over the coming period).
    I look forward to this, snowballs chance in hell, but I will be asking for MN original to be put back on the cards, DU is done at this stage in terms of its going to be longer plan, planning has lapsed. there is no way MN should go through everything again for the changes proposed , some of which might not even get approval, like the surface running in ballymun, why if it wasnt acceptable the first time round, will it be now? EXCEPT that they had to throw enough mickey mouse money savers in, to justify not going with or delaying the original scheme in the first place :mad::rolleyes:

I cant wait for these public consultations!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I look forward to this, snowballs chance in hell, but I will be asking for MN original to be put back on the cards, DU is done at this stage in terms of its going to be longer plan, planning has lapsed. there is no way MN should go through everything again for the changes proposed , some of which might not even get approval, like the surface running in ballymun, why if it wasnt acceptable the first time round, will it be now? EXCEPT that they had to throw enough mickey mouse money savers in, to justify not going with or delaying the original scheme in the first place :mad::rolleyes:

I cant wait for these public consultations!
    Couldn't agree more. The cost cutting was completely bogus and economically unjustified. Just read in the Irish Times today that DART underground is becoming more unlikely by the day, with a plan in to develop a site needed for a DU station. Shouldn't be allowed to happen, but the longer you keep a plan on ice, the more likely stuff like this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

plodder wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. The cost cutting was completely bogus and economically unjustified. Just read in the Irish Times today that DART underground is becoming more unlikely by the day, with a plan in to develop a site needed for a DU station. Shouldn't be allowed to happen, but the longer you keep a plan on ice, the more likely stuff like this is.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dart-underground-could-be-derailed-by-plans-for-office-block-1.2958453

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: I have reopened the DU thread. The above post refers to DU and should be replied to there. DU is not on topic for this thread.

MJohnston wrote: »
    It would be massive pressure relief on 3 counts - Dublin Airport connection, general Dublin area transport, and the housing shortage. For me, this and DU are absolute no-brainers for expenditure.

If ministers want to attract people here due to Brexit, we absolutely need these infrastructure improvements in the Dublin area.

And a bypass somewhere outside Ahascragh so the rural folk can feel like they're equal to the primary city on the island.

And a bypass somewhere outside Ahascragh so the rural folk can feel like they're equal to the primary city on the island.

No, Ahascragh has a main road as wide as O'Connell St. It just needs to be resurfaced.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Dublin City Gazette says New Metro North hopes derailed by Shane Ross https://issuu.com/robheigh/docs/dublincityfeb2?utm_source=2017W5_subscribers&utm_campaign=Digest&utm_medium=email qoutes him as saying little hope of accelerating due to amount of planning work that needs to be done.

Time for Ross to be given this treatment to be honest.

Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Dublin City Gazette says New Metro North hopes derailed by Shane Ross https://issuu.com/robheigh/docs/dublincityfeb2?utm_source=2017W5_subscribers&utm_campaign=Digest&utm_medium=email qoutes him as saying little hope of accelerating due to amount of planning work that needs to be done.
    If only we had a plan already..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement