Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap Card Question

Options
  • 10-09-2016 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, before we start, Im not a drug dealer :D

I want to go from Tara Street out to Bray to collect something from a guy in the Dart station (wont be swiping out) then bring it back to Pearse, Ill be using my Leap card as normal, but will there be an issue with it just saying I got on at Tara and off at Pearse with a big 90-120 minute gap? Will it let me out or will I be fined for abusing the system if an inspector scans the card or anything like that?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

You will be fare evading and i hope you get caught if you do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Thargor wrote: »
    Hi, before we start, Im not a drug dealer :D

I want to go from Tara Street out to Bray to collect something from a guy in the Dart station (wont be swiping out) then bring it back to Pearse, Ill be using my Leap card as normal, but will there be an issue with it just saying I got on at Tara and off at Pearse with a big 90-120 minute gap? Will it let me out or will I be fined for abusing the system if an inspector scans the card or anything like that?

What sort of Leap product are you using? If it is a period pass of some sort valid for City-Bray journeys then strictly speaking you should tap out and back in at Bray but there wouldn't be any issue or penalty for not doing it.

If you are on e-purse then doing that is fare evasion and I suspect you know that it is. You are making 2 trips; Tara-Bray and Bray-Pearse. There are maximum journey times allowed for journeys on PAYG leap, if you go over you may be charger 2 max fares for 2 incomplete journeys or if caught on the return trip with a tag-on at Tara you could be done for fare evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You would have to go out barrier and back in again on correct side to get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Vic_08 wrote: »
    What sort of Leap product are you using? If it is a period pass of some sort valid for City-Bray journeys then strictly speaking you should tap out and back in at Bray but there wouldn't be any issue or penalty for not doing it.

If you are on e-purse then doing that is fare evasion and I suspect you know that it is. You are making 2 trips; Tara-Bray and Bray-Pearse. There are maximum journey times allowed for journeys on PAYG leap, if you go over you may be charger 2 max fares for 2 incomplete journeys or if caught on the return trip with a tag-on at Tara you could be done for fare evasion.
    Its a normal green Leap card? I dont know of any different ones sorry, it was bought just after their introduction.

Would it actually be fare evasion though? If he put it in his reader wouldnt it show I was tagged on?

You would have to go out barrier and back in again on correct side to get back.
    Nah theres a footbridge in the station at Bray, I wouldnt be tagging out...

• Advertisement

Its a normal green Leap card? I dont know of any different ones sorry, it was bought just after their introduction.

Would it actually be fare evasion though? If he put it in his reader wouldnt it show I was tagged on?

Not for the return journey if that was the case people would get away paying one way all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

Thargor wrote:

It'll show when and where you tagged on. If it says you tagged on at Tara and are on a northbound rain south of Tara, it'll be immediately obvious that you're fare evading.

If you're not ticket checked, the tag on will have expired by the time you get back to Pearse so you'll be charged two full price tickets which will be more expensive than using the system properly.

Ah okay looks like a bad idea so, thanks.

IWould it actually be fare evasion though? If he put it in his reader wouldnt it show I was tagged on?

It's fare evasion if you get caught or not since you are not paying for the first journey and you are lying about the route you take for the second.

The courts frown on dishonest people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

markpb wrote: »
    It'll show when and where you tagged on. If it says you tagged on at Tara and are on a northbound rain south of Tara, it'll be immediately obvious that you're fare evading.

If you're not ticket checked, the tag on will have expired by the time you get back to Pearse so you'll be charged two full price tickets which will be more expensive than using the system properly.

Time may not be an issue as (presumably) the Leap system allows enough time for long journeys from say LeixlipLB to Portmarnock or suchlike with a change in Connolly and still considers it one trip - that sort of trip could be longer than a mere Bray and back hop.
    slight deja vu on this point, can remember there being a thread about it back in year zero of leap.

As for the concept of reversing direction without tagging off and on again, presumably there are a reasonable amount of passengers who realise halfway to their destination that they have forgotten their laptop/passport/*important thing* and just get off at the next station, cross the platform and come back.
    And as there's never been a thread here with someone being fined for fare evasion for this then I guess maybe the inspectors let it pass?
    Which is obviously different to doing it intentionally with forethought, and wouldn't encourage such obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Time may not be an issue as (presumably) the Leap system allows enough time for long journeys from say LeixlipLB to Portmarnock or suchlike with a change in Connolly and still considers it one trip - that sort of trip could be longer than a mere Bray and back hop.

You are assuming the system is not able to differentiate between a Leixlip-Portmarnock journey and a Tara-Pearse one, it does for fare allocation, unless the programmers are complete idiots it will for max journey time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Seeing as the OP has been answered and I didn't see the need fir a new thread for my own question I'll hijack this.

I notice Dublin Bus are offering refunds for strike days to 30day and annual pass holders. Does anyone know what this equates to?

I didn't do it last year as it was only two days and couldn't be bothered queuing for a fiver or whatever but six days is worth collecting for the inconvenience of two mile trek to train station and then paying for DART

Collie D wrote: »
    Seeing as the OP has been answered and I didn't see the need fir a new thread for my own question I'll hijack this.

I notice Dublin Bus are offering refunds for strike days to 30day and annual pass holders. Does anyone know what this equates to?

I didn't do it last year as it was only two days and couldn't be bothered queuing for a fiver or whatever but six days is worth collecting for the inconvenience of two mile trek to train station and then paying for DART

€5.50 each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

€5.50 each day.

I'll definitely be claiming that. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

You can tag on in tara St, get onto the platform in bray, don't go out the station, get back onto the dart and tag off in pearse. It will cost you around € 4.90.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    You can tag on in tara St, get onto the platform in bray, don't go out the station, get back onto the dart and tag off in pearse. It will cost you around € 4.90.
    I know but will an inspector have a problem with it is the question?

If I was an inspector and I saw someone take a hell of a long time to go one stop when there was no disruption I would be treating it as evasion and looking to get the CCTV out to back myself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Inspector will see where you tagged on and will view that you had not tagged on for the journey you are making

Easiest 100 euro fine of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Does an inspector know where you tagged on, or simply that you have tagged on? If they know where you tagged on they will know what you are at as you'll be going the wrong way on the return journey.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The card history records the station and the exact turnstile or validator used, they can see this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I know but will an inspector have a problem with it is the question?

Not if you are tagged on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

another leap question - i was on a yearly then monthly card, but am now on a top-up one, hence the ignorance on fares.
    i'm getting the bus from near DCU into college green, then the luas outbound to central park.

i understand that there's a maximum journey fee even with those two legs - so is there any point in me queueing for the driver on the bus, and paying the specific fee for that bus journey, rather than just tagging on the card reader at the right?
    i.e. will i hit the max journey fee anyway with the two legs, making whatever way i tag on on the bus moot?

another leap question - i was on a yearly then monthly card, but am now on a top-up one, hence the ignorance on fares.
    i'm getting the bus from near DCU into college green, then the luas outbound to central park.

i understand that there's a maximum journey fee even with those two legs - so is there any point in me queueing for the driver on the bus, and paying the specific fee for that bus journey, rather than just tagging on the card reader at the right?
    i.e. will i hit the max journey fee anyway with the two legs, making whatever way i tag on on the bus moot?

Dcu to college green is €2.05 so yes put on driver machine and tag on/off luas and dart.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

aha - i was just reading that it's not that the combined fare is capped, it's that a €1 discount is applied.

aha - i was just reading that it's not that the combined fare is capped, it's that a €1 discount is applied.

Example .... You get luas and if you get onto a bus or dart within 90 minutes of using the card you get the €1 discount automatically also if you use the city fare on bus it costs nothing at all in those 90 minutes and get onto another and its another €1 discount.

cheers, have been reading up on it, and the caps; if i read correctly, the daily cap for dublin bus is €6.90 and for luas is €6.40, and 'If you use a combination of Dublin Bus, Luas, DART and Commuter Rail, your travel credit use will be capped at the rate of the combined cap.'
    which seems like a contradiction of what you might expect the cap would be for, i.e. in that someone who makes a couple of combined trips using bus and luas could pay twice as much as someone who spends all day on the bus. i would have hoped/expected the cap would apply to all use of public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I don't think the OP would be doing anything wrong.

I would probably try the same thing in his situation.

I also think he would be likely to be successful.

I don't think the OP would be doing anything wrong.

I would probably try the same thing in his situation.

I also think he would be likely to be successful.

???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

cheers, have been reading up on it, and the caps; if i read correctly, the daily cap for dublin bus is €6.90 and for luas is €6.40, and 'If you use a combination of Dublin Bus, Luas, DART and Commuter Rail, your travel credit use will be capped at the rate of the combined cap.'
    which seems like a contradiction of what you might expect the cap would be for, i.e. in that someone who makes a couple of combined trips using bus and luas could pay twice as much as someone who spends all day on the bus. i would have hoped/expected the cap would apply to all use of public transport.

The Dublin all modes cap is a tenner

• Advertisement

really? that's certainly not obvious from the leap card site...

Advertisement