Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

• Registered Users Posts: 12,105 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

As I posted on the DU thread, I watched it live and Ross was a very unconvincing minister. Both MN and DU were mentioned briefly. It was all about buses and the usual muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Grandeeod wrote: »

As I posted on the DU thread, I watched it live and Ross was a very unconvincing minister. Both MN and DU were mentioned briefly. It was all about buses and the usual muck.
    The transcript is not available yet but will be here in due course: http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/committeebasebyyear/2016?opendocument

Judging by the media reports it was all very short-term trivial stuff on all sides.

I wish they would stop obsessing about the level of subvention and pay rates. DB has operated pretty much the exact same (substandard) service for the last ten years over which period its subvention has varied by 30% I think. The only improvements have been Leap and RTPI, and Leap hasn't done much to lower dwell times.

DB (and the whole IE family) has organisational issues, not resources issues.

On DU, at least he has re-iterated the commitment in public. It is at least something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

"will go ahead" as new branding, graphic design, logos and cgi: Air-metro and DART Subterranean as part of a new Transport Plan called 21IRELANDTRANS overseen by another transport department called Transport4GeneralElections.

and nothing will be built.

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    "will go ahead" as new branding, graphic design, logos and cgi: Air-metro and DART Subterranean as part of a new Transport Plan called 21IRELANDTRANS overseen by another transport department called Transport4GeneralElections.

and nothing will be built.

Remember that "nothing will be built" is not acceptable, despite a huge amount of historical evidence being available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

FFS such poor journalism by Laura Larkin. It's €2.4bn approx.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Have any of the Dublin TDs criticised the lack of funding for Dublin projects yet again in the budget, or is it just Longford-Westmeath TD Robert Troy?

http://www.longfordleader.ie/news/news/219750/longford-westmeath-td-robert-troy-critical-of-low-level-investment-in-transport.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Remember that "nothing will be built" is not acceptable, despite a huge amount of historical evidence being available.

'Pared down and interfered with schemes that duplicate older pared down ones' would be an accurate reflection of transport scheme history since 1975.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

YanisK wrote: »
    I'd say that's an optimistic timeline. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Deedsie wrote: »
    This is a purely crayon and maps post.

I was thinking would it make more sense to make the first most Northern station on the Metro North line Donabate train station?

It would provide a link for rail users from the North of Dublin a rail transfer to Dublin Airport and to other areas of North Dublin.

that's been suggested before, it may even have been on one of the proposed routes. Yeah it makes sense, particularly if the Dart is extended to Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Talking Point on Newstalk on Saturday discussed "[font=source-sans-pro, arial, sans-serif]Traffic Solutions for the M50 & Curing Commuter Misery[/font]"

There were three panelists:
    Barry Kenny from Irish Rail talked about DU and the PPT and made a good case for both. He made the valid point that DU is not just about the tunnel

Sean O'Neill from TII (presumably the NRA bit) talked a lot about demand management on the M50 and the need for the M20. Both very worthy.

Cormac Rabbitt (apparently a retired DCC engineer) made some very odd claims like saying that tolling motorways would make zero difference to usage. He then went down a convoluted route about a transformative agenda before it became clear that he was an advocate for Metro Dublin and did not like Metro North at all!

Metro North was mentioned in passing a few times. No one mentioned that it is the piece of potential infrastructure with the capacity to move more passengers than any other on the cards in Ireland.
    I really despair for Metro North. There is effectively no one making a positive case for it in public at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Are the useless politicians in dublin north central and Dublin north making no noise about it? If th current projects planning hasn't lapsed. They should proceed with it. Two of the cost saving measures were bogus anyway... Less rolling stock and shorter platforms... The reason given at the time was "figures based on boomtime" for original project. Now that population higher, traffic worse than boom, housing crisis etc. They can go back to original project ... OR that was just a convenient but easy to disprove lie, to get out of doing something for another five years ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Bray Head wrote: »

Some good ideas, but my goodness that map legend... my eyes bled!

e23WvHZ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

YanisK wrote: »
    Some good ideas, but my goodness that map legend... my eyes bled!

e23WvHZ.png

I couldn't make head nor tail of it - they have a line that seemingly reuses the PPT but it's described as a new bored tunnel to Glasnevin, but trains from Hazlehatch will use it.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Are the useless politicians in dublin north central and Dublin north making no noise about it? If th current projects planning hasn't lapsed. They should proceed with it. Two of the cost saving measures were bogus anyway... Less rolling stock and shorter platforms... The reason given at the time was "figures based on boomtime" for original project. Now that population higher, traffic worse than boom, housing crisis etc. They can go back to original project ... OR that was just a convenient but easy to disprove lie, to get out of doing something for another five years ...

DU was cancelled due to the same fudging BS. Some people here like the crayons and chatting about the project being done this way and that. They don't like people like me saying it won't be built, despite me offering nearly 45 years of history to back up that statement.

In relation to Cormac Rabbitte and Metro Dublin. The idea wasn't bad in any fashion. But it was never Government policy despite the Spaniard being brought over and showing them how an extensive system could be built quickly.

We are where we are now with two shovel ready projects and we want to redesign them. How anyone can criticise me for being negative about these projects being built is absolutely laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

wait for it, I propose whatever public meetings they have, I will go there and tear into them, I suggest the rest of you that care about it do likewise. I am done with these spoofing bull****ters trotting out blatant lies.

About the only benefit I see of revising is, that it can run out to ranelagh from the get go and ideally it would be fully automated. We are talking about a rail system that wont be in operation until probably close to 2027 at best, in Ireland, home of the strikes!

If this was truly a "boom time" over engineered bit of infrastructure, with a significant saving, it may actually have been worth looking at something more appropriate on design and cost grounds. The 500,000,000 in savings, given for RMN are a joke, rolling stock, simply order less of it, proposed platforms reduction saving E80,000,000 beyond a joke and E130,000,000 for a stop at OCB. So for a 2.5-3 billion project delayed for years, for a worse solution, for 130,000,000 much of which would simply go back into government coffers anyway. It is truly pathetic!

The sooner than new runway in Dublin begins work the better too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

Fingal County Council have rezoned lands for 7,000 houses North of Swords at Lissenhall (2017-2023 County Development Plan). My understanding is that Metro North (revised) stopped at the Estuary. The NTA may have to extend Metro North to Lissenhall due to this large rezoning and speed up the process in order for those lands to be developed.

The Dept of Housing and Local Government wanted lands at Dunsink rezoned but planners and management at FCC rejected this advice and advised Councillors to rezone lands at Lissenhall instead (per local press).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

mickmmc wrote: »
    Fingal County Council have rezoned lands for 7,000 houses North of Swords at Lissenhall (2017-2023 County Development Plan). My understanding is that Metro North (revised) stopped at the Estuary. The NTA may have to extend Metro North to Lissenhall due to this large rezoning and speed up the process in order for those lands to be developed.

The Dept of Housing and Local Government wanted lands at Dunsink rezoned but planners and management at FCC rejected this advice and advised Councillors to rezone lands at Lissenhall instead (per local press).

Any Ref For this?

FCC's website is terrible., I know of two Social Housing Projects that have got underway, but No ref on the Website at all.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    wait for it, I propose whatever public meetings they have, I will go there and tear into them, I suggest the rest of you that care about it do likewise. I am done with these spoofing bull****ters trotting out blatant lies.

About the only benefit I see of revising is, that it can run out to ranelagh from the get go and ideally it would be fully automated. We are talking about a rail system that wont be in operation until probably close to 2027 at best, in Ireland, home of the strikes!

If this was truly a "boom time" over engineered bit of infrastructure, with a significant saving, it may actually have been worth looking at something more appropriate on design and cost grounds. The 500,000,000 in savings, given for RMN are a joke, rolling stock, simply order less of it, proposed platforms reduction saving E80,000,000 beyond a joke and E130,000,000 for a stop at OCB. So for a 2.5-3 billion project delayed for years, for a worse solution, for 130,000,000 much of which would simply go back into government coffers anyway. It is truly pathetic!

The sooner than new runway in Dublin begins work the better too!

Is Public Consultation on the Runway even open yet? Last I saw the Consultation on the Road Realignment of R108 and R122 were still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cormac616

Looks like work has already begun on the north runway!!

Can't post a link since im a new user, but the first phase will take 8 months and they are moving Naul Road and Forrest Little Road.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

cormac616 wrote: »
    Looks like work has already begun on the north runway!!

Can't post a link since im a new user, but the first phase will take 8 months and they are moving Naul Road and Forrest Little Road.

https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/North-Runway-Docs/project-update---december-2016.pdf?sfvrsn=0

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

McAlban wrote: »
    Any Ref For this?

FCC's website is terrible., I know of two Social Housing Projects that have got underway, but No ref on the Website at all.

Is Public Consultation on the Runway even open yet? Last I saw the Consultation on the Road Realignment of R108 and R122 were still open.
    http://http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/lissenhall-lands-crucial-for-the-delivery-of-metro-35137145.html

Sorry the above link does not seem to be working.

Re: rezoning lands at Lissenhall

Google Lissenhall rezoning and 2 articles from Fingal Independent dated 22/10/16 give details.

See next reply for link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

The joke that keeps on giving ...
    https://m.facebook.com/dublinairport/photos/a.436776843035350.95014.157498590963178/1293891767323849/?type=3&source=48

Dublin airport experienced a 9.1% increase in passenger traffic in November 2016 making it the 4th fastest growing airport in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Why is it a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

Why is it a joke?

Because the airport could do with a proper train line to serve the demand and attract further tourism and general investment

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

D Trent wrote: »
    The joke that keeps on giving ...
    https://m.facebook.com/dublinairport/photos/a.436776843035350.95014.157498590963178/1293891767323849/?type=3&source=48

Dublin airport experienced a 9.1% increase in passenger traffic in November 2016 making it the 4th fastest growing airport in Europe

So Dublin Airport must be planning a 9.1% increase in parking places.

That is the joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Why is it a joke?

Because MN was shelved as the projected usage figures were based on 'boom time' usage and it needed to be scaled back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement