Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prostitution

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

iptba wrote: »
    There is a safety risk with lots of jobs. Dozens of people die each year in workplace accidents (mostly men), lots more get seriously injured(mostly men).

i agree but that is industrial jobs.

people take risks when with prostitution in that they are open to attack while naked.

thats unique ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

(Not sure what the smiley means in this case i.e. whether you are being serious or not, so here goes)
    CDfm wrote: »
    people take risks when with prostitution in that they are open to attack while naked.
    What about if it was restricted to blow jobs - then they wouldn't have to be naked.

now you are just being silly.

now you are just being silly.
    Which part is the silly part - not understanding what the smiley meant (often when I see "winking smileys" it means the person is speaking tongue-in-cheek but it's not clear that's what you meant) or the second part (which is just me exploring the issue if your post was serious).

the smiley meant that the risk was unique and not comparable to a work in other sectors.

• Advertisement

the smiley meant that the risk was unique and not comparable to a work in other sectors.
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure that in a well-regulated environment, prostitution would be the most dangerous job there is. Given how much some people are willing to pay for it, it could be quite possible to make a safer environment financially viable (various panic buttons, maybe cameras, etc).

Given how much some people are willing to pay for it, it .

And how much would that be?

Its a simple question as I cant imagine too many lads forking out 150- 200 euro every week during a recessiion and the working girls still need to earn money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Smallbit

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure that in a well-regulated environment, prostitution would be the most dangerous job there is. Given how much some people are willing to pay for it, it could be quite possible to make a safer environment financially viable (various panic buttons, maybe cameras, etc).

No matter how you phrase it, the notion that prostitution can be compared to normal work simply doesn't wash.

Even in countries where prostitution is legal and supposedly regulated (e.g. Netherlands, Australia) women are still abused by pimps and attacked by punters. Sure, put in some panic buttons, but they don't protect you from pimps. As for cameras! How many punters would visit if they thought their performance was being watched?!

Societal attitudes toward sex, especially the sale of sex means that such activity happens behind closed doors. Where you have shame and secrecy, you have the opportunity for exploitation and abuse.

Prostitution will become safe when women put it down on official forms as their profession, or discuss their work openly with family and friends. It'll be a long time before society accepts that, and until then, we have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Yeah there's a big stigma attached to the whole having sex with prostitutes thing. However I havenoticed a certain irony as many people who wouldn't consider paying prostitute for sex are more than happy to buy a bunch of drinks for an 'easy bird' they found in some rubbish nightclub, take her home and have sex with her. It strikes me as a double standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

The easy bird wants the same thing as the guy plying her with drink I imagine. Probably isn't shagging multiple men a day, doesn't have to deal with a pimp etc and all the other issues previously discussed.

It's a different situation entirely.

• Advertisement

beth-lou wrote: »
    The easy bird wants the same thing as the guy plying her with drink I imagine. Probably isn't shagging multiple men a day, doesn't have to deal with a pimp etc and all the other issues previously discussed.

I see what Galvesean is saying and he has a point.

There is not an exchange of money but there is an exchange of moneys worth.

Say you have a girl with an alcohol problem or pharmaceutical problem who cant afford it. That makes a lot of sense as the exchange takes place.

Call it inappropriate behavior or promiscuity but it isn't a big leap to give me 50 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

beth-lou wrote: »

Ah but the prostitute isn't drunk. (Yes there surely are cases were prostitutes are drunk/on drugs, but for argument's sake lets assume I'm talking about 'normal' prostitution sans such matters)
    I see it every week. A girl has no interest in a guy. He liquers her up a bit and next thing you know he's going home with her. That strikes me as a form of sexual predation. The guy is essentially buying sex off her.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Ah but the prostitute isn't drunk. (Yes there surely are cases were prostitutes are drunk/on drugs, but for argument's sake lets assume I'm talking about 'normal' prostitution sans such matters)

That is very valid -someone who does not have a problem but doesn't want to work who says to hell with it. I want things I cant afford on my wages or dole and rationalises it to get what she or he wants. I'd buy that.

And how much would that be?

Its a simple question as I cant imagine too many lads forking out 150- 200 euro every week during a recessiion and the working girls still need to earn money.
    I've never used a prostitute but could well imagine many men would pay E100 for an hour and some would pay more. At that sort of price, one can pay for other people to be in the building at the same time, etc especially if more than one prostitute at work. If it's a recession, there might well be a reduction in demand. I don't know how many people go to prostitutes every week.

If it's a recession, there might well be a reduction in demand.

Or the price - what would Eddie Hobbs say negotiate for a

e-beat_recession-busters.gif

It probably means that they need to lower prices and sleep with more people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I have only quickly looked over the thread, but its an interesting subject.

I work with a lot of girls who support the addiction through sex work. Personally its not my cup of tea, however, I have no problem with anyone paying for sex. A interesting thing I find with males is that a lot of the ones I see who use sex workers, experience a significant amount of guilt afterwards.

As I said I have no problems with people paying for sex or selling sex, however, if you par for sex and then your riddled with guilt afterwards, its time to find a different way of fulfilling your needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Odysseus wrote: »
    I have only quickly looked over the thread, but its an interesting subject.

I work with a lot of girls who support the addiction through sex work. Personally its not my cup of tea, however, I have no problem with anyone paying for sex. A interesting thing I find with males is that a lot of the ones I see who use sex workers, experience a significant amount of guilt afterwards.

As I said I have no problems with people paying for sex or selling sex, however, if you par for sex and then your riddled with guilt afterwards, its time to find a different way of fulfilling your needs.

Why would anyone experience feelings of guilt for sleeping with a prostitute?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

It’s more common than you think, if they are in a relationship clearly that is one of them. However, in a few threads here you have seen a few a few judgemental comments IIRC about people who pay for sex. A lot of people won't admit to it openly; why? Would you tell someone your where seeing about your own experiences? Even if you did; how comfortable would you be doing it?

At the end of the day it’s a very subjective thing; however, societies viewpoints, religious ideals, family values, when people start to speak about their sex life there can be a lot of guilt. There is no individual answer, but does that address your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Odysseus wrote: »
    Would you tell someone your where seeing about your own experiences? Even if you did; how comfortable would you be doing it?

I have paid for sex on a number of occasions. Not because I had to, but because I wanted to. I didn't feel guilt, though I was not in a relationship at the time and would not have been with anybody if I was.

When I started seeing my girlfriend of 5 years I told her about this after a few weeks, I also told her I had tried hard drugs and broken the law in various ways tho never been so much as questioned. It was not easy telling her but I felt mature doing so. I believed she was entitled to know me, warts and all and those were my warts. Having told her I felt great comfort and confidience that I had been honest and that she could then judge me with full rounded knowledge of my personality, character and experience. As I said we have now been together for 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭atkin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,767 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Thread's dead.
    Long live the thread.
    (But it remains dead)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement