Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic

Options

Comments

Sorry, was a bit drunk and sentimental at the time. Vodka makes me exaggerate things. I shouldn't be so flippant with those kinds of remarks xo I edited my post. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Had one of those textbook lesbian friends drama car crash weekends. Passive aggressive text messages, ex-girlfriends pretending that each had a better life, an angsty tumblr pic spam. I keep waiting for the day that my friend group molds itself into a Friends the tv show kind of group, that's what's supposed to happen right? :confused:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sad sad saps

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

Incidently, happy singles awareness day everyone! :)

........:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Silly question but who here is watching the Eurovision Late Late?

Anyone else think that Eoghan Quigg looks like a butch lesbian tonight? The hair, the lips, the bow tie... I can't be the only one thinking it??!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Said the exact same thing myself

Silly question but who here is watching the Eurovision Late Late?

Anyone else think that Eoghan Quigg looks like a butch lesbian tonight? The hair, the lips, the bow tie... I can't be the only one thinking it??!?

Watched it at my parents house. When he first appeared everyone in the room looked at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Received a lovely message the other day "With your honesty, knowledge and integrity people will believe in you."

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Can't believe I missed the forum meet up. I had no money. Boo-urns. Here's hoping there'll be another one on soon. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Didn't see any point starting a new thread for this so off-topic will do!

A cousin of mine came out to his parents last week, kind of unexpectedly too. He's 17 and has a pretty good circle of friends around him. His parents are pretty OK with it so he's very relieved.

Anyway after talking it out with him his mother, my aunt, she suddenly remembered 'Oh, we have a gay in the family already! You should call Liam' (or words to that effect!) - I haven't seen my cousin in about 6 years, strained relationship with my family aside he lives in Cork for one thing! - why he would want to talk to me is a mystery, when I was 17 I would never in a million years have called a relative I barely know to ask for advice like that but anyway, he called.

I intended to talk to him for just a few minutes and get rid of him as quickly as possible but we ended up talking for over an hour. It was awkward and I wasn't in a great mood when he rang me but he'd obviously put a lot of thought into what he wanted to say to me and he eventually asked me some questions that had been on his mind, things he couldn't ask his friends and to be honest it was, in parts, an uncomfortable conversation for me from that point on.

Thinking about it afterwards I realised it's because he is family that made it so awkward for me to talk to him about this stuff. I've talked to friends, acquaintances and strangers online about sex and sexuality before, plenty of times, but I've never had to talk to a family member about it in any kind of detail and it was a very weird experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

I've talked to friends, acquaintances and strangers online about sex and sexuality before, plenty of times, but I've never had to talk to a family member about it in any kind of detail and it was a very weird experience.

Yeah I know the feeling alright. When I told my mum I was gay at the age of 22 (a year ago now), she started going on about me having safe sex and being careful, using condoms, etc. I just wanted to put my head between my legs and cringe. But, I guess she had to make sure.

Fair play for being there for your cousin. When I told my cousin I was gay, it was great talking to someone a bit older (she was 34 at the time) so as to get advice/wisdom. I'm not gonna lie I do and still find it tough accepting that I am gay and can sometimes feel alone in it. But, with my cousin, I was able to meet some of her friends on a night out in the Dragon. It really help me to see ordinary guys and girls (stereotypes aside) who happened to be gay. It has helped to change my preconceived ideas on what it all is.

So, if you can, be there for your cousin if it isn't too much trouble for you. He will appreciate it. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Apparently two guys holding hands in public is still a spectacle for middle-aged women and their husbands. What am I, a zoo animal? :rolleyes:

Don't really care though, I never had the balls to hold a guy's hand in public much before and I like holding his hand more than I care about ignorant people's sniggering :D

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

Canard wrote: »
    Apparently two guys holding hands in public is still a spectacle for middle-aged women and their husbands. What am I, a zoo animal? :rolleyes:

Don't really care though, I never had the balls to hold a guy's hand in public much before and I like holding his hand more than I care about ignorant people's sniggering :D

Sometimes you just have to forget the 'haters' and show your love in public!

My boyfriend and I didn't always have the guts/courage to hold hands in a public place but sometimes we do it and man, does it feel good when we do.

You just have to keep a wise head on ye and be cautious as to where you are or who's around you so as to avoid potentially provoking the aforementioned 'haters' or people looking for a fight.

I've had no sleep again. Work at 8.30am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I do a module on self advocacy and human rights in college and as a pan/bi person, I always like to inform my classmates of the issues of LBGT rights.
    We were discussing this in class today and sure, a funny exchange happened during lunch.
    I'm sitting with a classmate and we're discussing the notes we took for class when...

Classmate: Gee, Chubbs, you're really into gay rights...
    Me: Sure, why not? Someone's gotta stick up for 'em!
    Classmate: Hope I'm not offending you by asking this but....are youuu... Y'KNOW?
    Me: Am I what?
    Classmate: Are you.. y'know, GAY yourself?
    Me: *shrugging* Eh, I swing both ways for the most part, dear.

There's a pause as she considers this information.

Classmate: *after a long beat* Sure, my sister is bisexual. Will ya shift her? I can give you her number!

Maker's breath...!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm just going to poke my head in here and say hi! I came out last night to my mam, brother and close friends.. it had been something I'd been keeping secret for a long time, and it feels amazing to finally have everyone I care about know! Everyone has been so supportive so it's lovely :) I was getting so annoyed lately at people saying 'how's the love life, any lads lately?' and things to that effect and didn't realize why it annoyed me so much, but now that I have accepted the fact myself I now know what it was annoying me so much :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I'm just going to poke my head in here and say hi! I came out last night to my mam, brother and close friends.. it had been something I'd been keeping secret for a long time, and it feels amazing to finally have everyone I care about know! Everyone has been so supportive so it's lovely :) I was getting so annoyed lately at people saying 'how's the love life, any lads lately?' and things to that effect and didn't realize why it annoyed me so much, but now that I have accepted the fact myself I now know what it was annoying me so much :pac:

Congratulations! Great to hear you're having a supportive experience

Followed your thread about Dude. What a legend you are.

One of us. One of us. One of us.

:)

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Followed your thread about Dude. What a legend you are.

One of us. One of us. One of us.

:)

Haha Yay I'm famous :P Dude was very accepting I must say :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

I was getting so annoyed lately at people saying 'how's the love life, any lads lately?'

Yeah it kinda annoyed me too when people started wondering if I was getting with a guy. It takes time and gets more comfortable when you've accepted you're gay, come out and get comfortable with your 'new' life. :)

I'm still finding it weird,
    Friends are like so... Big day for ya! I'm just thinking it's not really, shouldn't be a shock to anyone :P

Nice one, Silly!

(MUST. NOT. MAKE. PUSSY. JOKE.)

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Nice one, Silly!

(MUST. NOT. MAKE. PUSSY. JOKE.)

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

It's been done believe me :pac: First thing one of my friends said to me "So the cats were a metaphor all this time yeah?:P" :pac:

I nearly cried tonight, my uncle (who is also gay) came up to my house and gave me a 'coming out' present! He said he was just so proud and wished he had my courage when he was my age! :D (oh who am I kidding, I did cry :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Emz93

Congrats on managing to tell everyone! My coming out is proving to be a very slow process :P my family and close friends know but I'm finding it extremely hard to be out in front of college/sport/work friends who still keep asking me about the "fellahs" in my life! I need to grow a pair! Congrats again :)

Emz93 wrote: »
    Congrats on managing to tell everyone! My coming out is proving to be a very slow process :P my family and close friends know but I'm finding it extremely hard to be out in front of college/sport/work friends who still keep asking me about the "fellahs" in my life! I need to grow a pair! Congrats again :)

I told my family in person and my close friends on a private message on Facebook cos they are all over the world at the moment then I threw up a status on Facebook to tell everyone else when I was drunk or else I wouldn't have had the balls to :P

You guys, I TOTALLY GRADUATED TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:pac::pac::pac::D:D:D

I may or may not be slightly tipsy right now. Here, have a song!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Reading people comments regarding Austria's entry in Eurovision this year and. . . seriously people can't be that stupid. . . or can they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Hey, Just thought I would show my face here, read on this forum often but never really post.

I was forced to come out a few months ago to mixed reactions, but dealing with it okay enough at the moment.

Hope to post about here more often.

Advertisement