Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Oh it definitely reads and feels like his own style, I wouldn't say it's ghostwritten. I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

I really enjoyed Panti's book. Although I'd agree in certain parts it doesn't seem as polished as Graham's (which I'm reading now), I do think it's a stellar book. It's nice to get his view on a lot of gay culture I've never known, and there's such a personal flow to the writing that I think we're not use to in autobiographics which as someone said, is usually written by a ghost writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I finished Panti's memoirs couple of days ago.
    Overall very enjoyable, he/she had an interesting life so far.

I also attended her performance High Heels in Low Places last night at Project Arts Theatre. There are some common stories between the book and the performance (around the events of this year) and some of the non-common stories are simply hilarious (e.g. the Madonna incident!!!)

She simply made my day!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Just finished Panti's book a few minutes ago. Some parts were genuinely laugh out loud funny but I did find some parts a bit..boring :o As someone else said further up it was kind of like a rushed diary entry in parts but I still completely enjoyed it. My mam wants to read it next!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Any mention of the use of "tranny" in the book?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'm not religious, but this struck a chord and could almost be applied to any Adult with authority over today's Youth.

http://www.upworthy.com/a-stunning-blonde-blue-eyed-freshman-sits-next-to-him-in-church-things-dont-go-the-way-hed-like?c=gt1

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I can't believe Julian Simmons commentary will no longer introduce corrie :(

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can't believe Julian Simmons commentary will no longer introduce corrie :(

Freesat, you can keep UTV Norn Iron Hi for as long as you want.

I was hard on it in the past, but I thought it would be a good idea to use Grindr again to find friends (not hookups). Oh boy, I was being optimistic. Usual level of dignity and manners out the door! I thought it might have been a little mellower but it definitely has its own 'vibe'. Scruff seems to have a lot more decency. I like hookups as much as the next person (not at the moment as in a happy relationship) but what is it with a select few apps/sites and terrible manners? If it says I'm partnered at least 2 times and that I am not hunting, looking for local friends, how hard is it for some people to get it? Never had a successful interaction there, period.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Congratulations to Stephen Fry and Elliott Spencer

It is a shame that twitter and some of the media have to make such a big deal about the age gap :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Congratulations to Stephen Fry and Elliott Spencer

It is a shame that twitter and some of the media have to make such a big deal about the age gap :mad:

Honestly the age gap bothers me. It is irrelevant that he is LGBT (as am I) its just the gap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Honestly the age gap bothers me. It is irrelevant that he is LGBT (as am I) its just the gap.

It's unconventional but if it this decision makes them both truly happy then I don't see the issue. Most of my LGBT friends that are in a relationship have a partner that is of a similar age but a few do not and there are one or two big enough age gaps, I have never thought this was unusual or that their happiness was disingenuous.

Some newspapers are typically sensationalising the age gap but some twitter comments are just over the top cruel (as expected)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

So what, he's a man cougar! I say fair dues for bagging a younger bloke.

Itzy wrote: »
    So what, he's a man cougar! I say fair dues for bagging a younger bloke.

You see this is where I guess I differ. I don't see him as having 'bagged' anyone. I see him as being a fool. An embarrassing fool. Like if I found out my millionaire (hypothetical) Grandfather found 'love' with a buxom blond in her 20s. Its beyond embarrassing.

I get that we all* want sex with gorgeous young things but seriously its so transparent and then to call it a marriage? Just **** em.

That said I am not part of their relationship. I know zero about it other than what has been reported. I am only giving my honest initial reaction.

I hate to say, but I don't say age as a factor in any relationship.

I hate to say, but I don't say age as a factor in any relationship.

Well I unapologetically do. Most certainly in a relationship supposed to last forever as in a marriage.

Yes Marriage should last forever, but sadly in too many cases, it doesn't for a number of reasons i.e. terminal illness of a partner or untimely bereavement, divorce and mutual separation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

A lot of lgbt couples I know (myself included) have some sort of an age gap. There's 8 years between my girlfriend and I which isn't much at all in the grand scheme of things. He's happy out, why begrudge him that.

Well I unapologetically do. Most certainly in a relationship supposed to last forever as in a marriage.

As someone who is in a relationship with an age gap, I'd ask you put your prejudices aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

You see this is where I guess I differ. I don't see him as having 'bagged' anyone. I see him as being a fool. An embarrassing fool. Like if I found out my millionaire (hypothetical) Grandfather found 'love' with a buxom blond in her 20s. Its beyond embarrassing.

I get that we all* want sex with gorgeouso young things but seriously its so transparent and then to call it a marriage? Just **** em.

That said I am not part of their relationship. I know zero about it other than what has been reported. I am only giving my honest initial reaction.

You do realise that his younger partner is a millionaire? so your perception that it is a money grabbing exercise is very misplaced.

• Advertisement

J_E wrote: »
    As someone who is in a relationship with an age gap, I'd ask you put your prejudices aside.

I am not suggesting that every relationship with a greater age difference than six days between partners is some how deficient. As with everything there are varying levels and exceptions etc. I also wasn't trying to say that an age gap would be a determinative factor but simply that it would be a factor among others.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Each to their own really. If it works for them - great. If people have better relationships with someone around their own age - also great.

I am not suggesting that every relationship with a greater age difference than six days between partners is some how deficient. As with everything there are varying levels and exceptions etc. I also wasn't trying to say that an age gap would be a determinative factor but simply that it would be a factor among others.
    You are insinuating it though. Stephen Fry is hardly taking advantage of Joe off the street here.

J_E wrote: »
    You are insinuating it though. Stephen Fry is hardly taking advantage of Joe off the street here.

No you are interpreting it that way. I actually come at this from the other side altogether. I'm embarrassed for Stephen.

No you are interpreting it that way. I actually come at this from the other side altogether. I'm embarrassed for Stephen.

Can you explain why you're embarrassed for him though? I don't seen age as an issue.

Can you explain why you're embarrassed for him though? I don't seen age as an issue.

Well maybe it's opened up a lot of his private life to scrutiny, which in recent times has been pretty stressful to say the least. He's obviously very proud of this and why shouldn't he be. I'm glad he's found happiness. The 30 year age gap wouldn't settle right for me though. But again, I'm glad he's found a partner he loves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

What an inspirational woman!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIhsv18lrqY

TED Talks feat. Panti

I'm pretty sure most if not all of my self confidence being gay recently stems from Panti. Whatever your views on drag are, the views Rory gives are just so spot on it's insane.

Ash885 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure most if not all of my self confidence being gay recently stems from Panti. Whatever your views on drag are, the views Rory gives are just so spot on it's insane.

They are but at the same time I don't think plenty of other people couldn't have done just as well if not better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeterJC!

That talk was fantastic, I was lucky enough to be there for TEDxDublin and it was definitely one of the highlights.

Advertisement