Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards hatred of The Daily Mail

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭AttackThePoster

Irish Halo wrote: »
    FF the party in power is centre-right hence the "our current voting trends we are certainly not Left wing"

Also the labour movement was very important in Irish political history less so now therefore "nor could we be considered more left wing than we were previously".

Daily Mail writes stories designed to induce fear in the white middle class of the UK (well those who think they are middle class). Why any self respecting Irish person would buy the "localised" version of a paper which actively attacked the country for most of its history confuses me. Or is historical context a waste of time?

Since when were FF centre-right? :confused:

Linky plz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I was more confused when someone tried to claim that it's science reporting was good.

They were just taking the piss, right?

Haven't seen their "Science" section. Let me guess: Everything is so besause God did it?

I love how they waged a campaign on the film Antichrist and in the initial article admitted to having never seen the film only reading about it on the internet. For me it showed that journalistic integrity was alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I love how they waged a campaign on the film Antichrist and in the initial article admitted to having never seen the film only reading about it on the internet. For me it showed that journalistic integrity was alive and well.

The best was when they where caught campaigning for the cervical smear vaccine here, but against it in the UK! :o

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

mike65 wrote: »
    Its cos its so damned good at its job!

/shakes fist.
    That sums it up. Probably the only newspaper that consistently increases it's readership. Still wouldn't buy it, I don't need to be in fear of everything.

Their editor's nickname is "The Vagina Monologues" which is my favourite thing about the DM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

That is amazing in so many ways. I'm gonna sit down with a pint later and just keep clicking.

'Could Russel Brand give the British public Swine flu?'

'Can gays destroy your house'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Moral of all this is: if you don't want to read a load of complete shíte in the papers, dont buy a tabloid.

It's not just the tabloids, most if not all of the newspapers are guilty of sh1t journalism, in one way or another, on a regular basis. The treatment of science and health issues is dreadful across pretty much all of them, with the odd exception. I'd agree that the tabloids are particularly brain-rotting though. It's a sad indictment of our society that papers like The Mail and The Sun are the most popular sellers. But despite all The Mail bashing here, The Sun is really no better, nor is The Mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Angus Og wrote: »
    I'll give you a reason. The Daily Mail have a history of being anti-Irish.
    So does After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Updated moral is: If you want to learn something, read an academic journal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

That is amazing in so many ways. I'm gonna sit down with a pint later and just keep clicking.

'Could Russel Brand give the British public Swine flu?'

'Can gays destroy your house'

But can they?
    WE NEED TO KNOW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I think the Daily Mail is a wonderful paper and vastly underrated. In fact, it is always the first paper I reach for when I've run out of 'Hole Roll'..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How can one not be fond of something that the "Daily Mail" despises? ...
    Stephen Fry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

walshb wrote: »
    Sometimes the truth is terrifying.

Anyway, I'd love if boards could do a check on all the links posted on this website over the last whenever and see which news source came out on top?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Mail, which really would throw a spanner in the works for all those anti Mailites;)
    Not sure what that would prove champ

I could post up a thread from Stormfront and it would generate alot of discussion, does that prove something too?

I'd say most Daily Mail-generated thread on boards have at least one post saying "the Daily Mail is a disgusting rag" with about a thousand thanks on the end of it.

Your defending of it makes me lul intensely

It's a disgusting, moronic, immoral piece of sh*t newspaper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Dave! wrote: »
    Not sure what that would prove champ

I could post up a thread from Stormfront and it would generate alot of discussion, does that prove something too?

I'd say most Daily Mail-generated thread on boards have at least one post saying "the Daily Mail is a disgusting rag" with about a thousand thanks on the end of it.

Your defending of it makes me lul intensely

It's a disgusting, moronic, immoral piece of sh*t newspaper

A previous post by the quoted poster in regards to Polish women:
    walshb wrote: »
    Sorry, no disrespect, I don't see it at all. Give me a good looking Irish girl any day of the week. Something cleaner about them...

Ah, the fog has parted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

stories like this is why the daily mail and 90% of newspapers are ****rags

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1256641/Cheyenne-Alexis-McKeehan-3-dead-mistaking-handgun-Wii-control.html

its a ****ing 3 year old. they pick everything up. they would swallow plutonium if it was on the kitchen table. this story should read
    "tragic toddler shot and killed herself with fathers gun. Parents arrested for criminal negligence"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lemegeton wrote: »
    stories like this is why the daily mail and 90% of newspapers are ****rags

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1256641/Cheyenne-Alexis-McKeehan-3-dead-mistaking-handgun-Wii-control.html

its a ****ing 3 year old. they pick everything up. they would swallow plutonium if it was on the kitchen table. this story should read
    "tragic toddler shot and killed herself with fathers gun. Parents arrested for criminal negligence"
    Actually it was her step-father
    but the whole thing about not having genes in common is another topic

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I hope that this is going to be fun.:pac:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/mar/11/facebook-daily-mail
    Facebook threatens to sue Daily Mail

Social networking site fears reputation permanently damaged by false claim that it let older men pressure teenage girls for sex.

Facebook has threatened to sue the Daily Mail for damages after the paper wrongly claimed in a piece published on Wednesday that 14-year-old girls who create a profile on the social networking site could be approached "within seconds" by older men who "wanted to perform a sex act" in front of them.
    The paper apologised in print today and online yesterday for the error, which the author of the piece, Mark Williams-Thomas, insisted had been introduced by editors at the paper despite being told it was wrong. In fact, Williams-Thomas – a retired policeman who now works as a criminologist – had been using another, unspecified social network.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,261 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Go Facebook!

Makes you wonder how careless the editing is, though, to specifically name a website in the first place, let alone get it wrong

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Go Facebook!

Makes you wonder how careless the editing is, though, to specifically name a website in the first place, let alone get it wrong

I imagine it's very careful. Doing stuff like this and then sheepishly appologising later is very much the mails M.O

After all when a paper decides to dictate to you how you should feel about a story as opposed to reporting the news then staying on message is more important than impartiality, accuracy or the truth.

• Advertisement

I imagine it's very careful. Doing stuff like this and then sheepishly appologising later is very much the mails M.O

After all when a paper decides to dictate to you how you should feel about a story as opposed to reporting the news then staying on message is more important than impartiality, accuracy or the truth.

I´d imagine it´s seriously slack. if you want to go down the naiming route (which isn´t essential - just make a few key observations), it´s very simple to write ¨Rumoured to be Facebook¨ or ¨A source close to the Mail discolsed Facebook¨ in order to cover yourself. The key word ¨Facebook¨ still appears in people´s minds; job done. And perfect cover if someone sues you.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I´d imagine it´s seriously slack. if you want to go down the naiming route (which isn´t essential - just make a few key observations), it´s very simple to write ¨Rumoured to be Facebook¨ or ¨A source close to the Mail discolsed Facebook¨ in order to cover yourself. The key word ¨Facebook¨ still appears in people´s minds; job done. And perfect cover if someone sues you.

Sorry, my implication was they are very careful to purposefully do stuff like this, just because the short term gain in sales and readership is worth the eventual settlement in court that their readers won't remember/read about.
    But they will remember how the mail told them off about the "paedos on the facepage thingy" and that's what counts.

Sorry, my implication was they are very careful to purposefully do stuff like this, just because the short term gain in sales and readership is worth the eventual settlement in court that their readers won't remember/read about.
    But they will remember how the mail told them off about the "paedos on the facepage thingy" and that's what counts.

Apologies, they don´t care about. Getting sued and lawyers fees will outweigh any extra costs.

Advertisement