Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards hatred of The Daily Mail

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Anyone remember when the 24 hour drinking laws were coming into effect in the UK and the daily mail ran a campaign on how much it would make things worse. Then when nothing got worse you never heard of it again.

I must say though I prefer to read the Daily Maily over most papers as they usuall have a few interesting articles compared with other papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

• Registered Users Posts: 55,183 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Sometimes the truth is terrifying.

Anyway, I'd love if boards could do a check on all the links posted on this website over the last whenever and see which news source came out on top?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Mail, which really would throw a spanner in the works for all those anti Mailites;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

mikom wrote: »
    Their poor coverage of pick-up-artist news stories.

Oh no, is that THAT guy!? Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

walshb wrote: »

Anyway, I'd love if boards could do a check on all the links posted on this website over the last whenever and see which news source came out on top?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Mail, which really would throw a spanner in the works for all those anti Mailites;)

It probably would be the most popular source for After Hours - Ranting and Raving of course too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Thomas828 wrote: »
    The Sun, Mirror and the Star aren't exactly high-brow papers, but unlike the Mail and Express they don't pretend that they are.

This is what makes the latter so insidious. Many Sun readers know deep down that what theyre reading is really just a pile of shyte (They just buy it for the football/titties/free telly mag) Mail readers tend to accept it hook line and sinker.
    I must say though I prefer to read the Daily Maily over most papers as they usuall have a few interesting articles .

Have you ever tried playboy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

walshb wrote: »

Thanks but I don't need a newspaper to tell me what should be scary or not.

I can agree that the Daily Mail is tripe but, to be honest, I strongly believe that all news is propaganda to some extent. I don't see the RTE news as any different from Eastenders or the Simpsons. It's all a business at the end of the day and it's a shame more people don't see that. Real information is something that you should seek out for yourself not something that is spoon fed to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Thomas828 wrote: »
    The Sun, Mirror and the Star aren't exactly high-brow papers, but unlike the Mail and Express they don't pretend that they are.

The Sindo pretends that it's a proper newspaper too, when in fact it's as tabloid, fictional and biased-opinionated as it comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Just saw an ad there for the Daily Mail saying it who represents:

White Middle Class Nuclear family- anything else is abhorrent and tries to wreck this ideal family unit!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Some of us dislike the Daily star too.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055819098

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Ridley

Pretty much covers it (along with this and Brooker's Daily Mail island). May offend certain et ceteras but you could just skip to the 47th second and pause.

Not that they're the only offenders, they're just more blatent about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

It's the tabloid of choice for your thinking man's ignoramus.

I remember their front page headlines during the nineties. To say they tried to incite hatred against the Irish is a bit of an understatement. They're no different to the Sun and others of their ilk. But they masquerade as a serious paper to the common garden racist as it doesn't have a red top.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Plenty of reasons to avoid that rag outlined over the past 5 pages, another one being their contnued employment of that odious bint Mary Ellen Synon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Because it is a confusing paper.

Hands up if you are for and / or against cervical cancer vaccinations :rolleyes:

http://biasandbelief.wordpress.com/2009/04/16/daily-mail-campaigning-both-for-and-against-vaccination/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Good writers, great paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

1) Boards is big enough to have a sizeable chunk of posters who hate anything you can name.

2) Why buy foreign papers?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

'COULD RUSSELL BRAND GIVE THE MEMORY OF DIANA DIABETES?'

I for one say yes

69 wrote: »
    Why buy foreign papers?

But... It has Irish in the title! :P

I seldom buy papers anyway! 'tinternet & Telly for all the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Because the Daily Mail is very right-wing and most people nowadays would be more left-wing. That's really all there is to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Because the Daily Mail is very right-wing and most people nowadays would be more left-wing. That's really all there is to it.

Judging by our current voting trends we are certainly not Left wing, nor could we be considered more left wing than we were previously.

What we are is more socially liberal and tolerant and have no place for their inflamatory rightwing claptrap.

The Mail is one of the most manipulative media outlets as it specifically targets its articles to infuriate it more extreme readers.

The Jan Moir article is a prime example, with a dileberate effort to court controversy. Any decent sub would have ripped that apart before letting it go to print, but the mail actively seek to infuriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I like how they've set up their website.

Pitty about the content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Moral of all this is: if you don't want to read a load of complete shíte in the papers, dont buy a tabloid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭AttackThePoster

Trashbat wrote: »
    Judging by our current voting trends we are certainly not Left wing, nor could we be considered more left wing than we were previously.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

:confused:
    FF the party in power is centre-right hence the "our current voting trends we are certainly not Left wing"

Also the labour movement was very important in Irish political history less so now therefore "nor could we be considered more left wing than we were previously".

Daily Mail writes stories designed to induce fear in the white middle class of the UK (well those who think they are middle class). Why any self respecting Irish person would buy the "localised" version of a paper which actively attacked the country for most of its history confuses me. Or is historical context a waste of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

This thread has given me diabetes

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It has a conservative bias which attracts the kind of people that are ready to get mad about anything that is not perceived as normal. Similar enough to the likes of Joe Duffy. It attracts mobs and craves the mob mentality. It wouldn't be for me because I disagree with their views, their leanings and the way they try and dish up hate and fear. It is at best theatre and at worst xenophobic rabble rousing. I don't think it has any intellectual merits to argue. Maybe the football writing is good?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/aug/20/mydailyhell

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Any paper that costs a euro can't be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,261 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sorry, only scanned throught the thread... but did someone actually discribe the Daily Mail as "left wing"...??

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Sorry, only scanned throught the thread... but did someone actually discribe the Daily Mail as "left wing"...??
    They have been back, but didn't to clarify their post, I hope not ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

I was more confused when someone tried to claim that it's science reporting was good.

They were just taking the piss, right?

Advertisement