Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

The thing I'm most against is the short puck out. It's not something we done last year at all. It's very easy to set up against.
    Look at the Munster final last year. Tobin and Mulcahy allowed their man to take the short puck out and drive it down the field. T&M dropped onto Hickey and Breen's men. Hickey and Breen funnelled back created extra men in the backs. Made it easier to defend against and thus break out.

Still hopeful that come Championship they will have tweaked it somewhat. Come Championship we all know if the short puckout breaks down, it will give Tipp a massive boost and the crowd will be on Limerick's back. It will lead to nervousness and lack of confidence.
    I don't mind working it out short in general play but from puckout that ball should be on the opposition's 45 and let our work ethic allow opposition make mistakes instead of ourselves making stupid mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

And we've got a team for Laois.

Do we have rotation, a few changes? The answer is yes, but maybe not the ones that people would have liked to see:

1. Nicky Quaid (Effin)
    2. Stephen Walsh (Glenroe)
    3. Philip O'Loughlin (Kilmallock)
    4. Tom Condon (Knockaderry)
    5. Paudie O'Brien (Kilmallock)
    6. Wayne McNamara (Adare)
    7. Dan Morrissey (Ahane)
    8. Cathal King (Na Piarsaigh)
    9. Paul Browne (Bruff)
    10. Conor Allis (Croom)
    11. Jim-Bob Ryan (Garryspillane)
    12. David Reidy (Dromin/Athlacca)
    13. Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock)
    14. Kevin Downes (Na Piarsaigh)
    15. Mikey Ryan (Doon)

16. Aaron Murphy (Hospital/Herbertstown)
    17. Richie McCarthy (Blackrock)
    18. Mark Carmody (Patrickswell)
    19. Alan Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)
    20. Tom Ryan (South Liberties)
    21. Donal O'Grady (Granagh/Ballingarry)
    22. William Hickey (South Liberties)
    23. Seanie Tobin (Murroe/Boher)
    24. Tommy Quaid (Effin)
    25. Tommy O'Brien (Patrickswell)
    26. Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh)

My thoughts as I read the team:

1. What does poor Alan Dempsey have to do to get a start? I really think we need fresh blood and a bit of pace in the full-back line, lads have been getting turned too easily and Dempsey is potentially the best in the county. Deserves a chance.

2. Would have persisted with Murphy, think he's a good player and did well against Offaly.

3. Good to see O'Loughlin getting a chance. Same with Dan at wing-back.

4. Still Wayne at 6? Surely we have to try something else.

5. Hope Gavin is okay, would be a massive blow to lose him.

6. Good to see King involved, very clever hurler, lots of pace... is midfielder his best position? Maybe not, but he could slot in nicely there.

7. At least they seem to have faith in Reidy, hope he continues to do well.

8. Would have liked to see Downes at centre-forward.

9. Is Mikey Ryan a realistic Championship option? Again, I'd probably say no...

10. Good to see Tom Ryan on the bench at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HandsomeRover

Fireball07 wrote: »

1. Nicky Quaid (Effin)
    2. Stephen Walsh (Glenroe)
    3. Philip O'Loughlin (Kilmallock)
    4. Tom Condon (Knockaderry)
    5. Paudie O'Brien (Kilmallock)
    6. Wayne McNamara (Adare)
    7. Dan Morrissey (Ahane)
    8. Cathal King (Na Piarsaigh)
    9. Paul Browne (Bruff)
    10. Conor Allis (Croom)
    11. Jim-Bob Ryan (Garryspillane)
    12. David Reidy (Dromin/Athlacca)
    13. Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock)
    14. Kevin Downes (Na Piarsaigh)
    15. Mikey Ryan (Doon)

16. Aaron Murphy (Hospital/Herbertstown)
    17. Richie McCarthy (Blackrock)
    18. Mark Carmody (Patrickswell)
    19. Alan Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh)
    20. Tom Ryan (South Liberties)
    21. Donal O'Grady (Granagh/Ballingarry)
    22. William Hickey (South Liberties)
    23. Seanie Tobin (Murroe/Boher)
    24. Tommy Quaid (Effin)
    25. Tommy O'Brien (Patrickswell)
    26. Shane Dowling (Na Piarsaigh)

Lads in bold look nailed on for June.

Thought Dempsey would have started in the corner. Still no viable option at centre back imo.
    Good to see Reidy get another start, Michael Ryan starting in the corner, a class act for Doon anytime I've seen him play, hopefully can deliver a performance.

Still though as Championship gets closer and closer, the more I think there's a short summer ahead.

None of those are bad players... in fact, we've got loads of quality hurlers in the county. It's picking the right ones in the right positions and getting them to adapt to the gameplan that's the problem.

The only one of those that I wouldn't start would be Walsh... he's a good player, but I think Dempsey can be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Looks like.

Agree with Fireball. A few token changes. But they are just that, token changes, none of the fringe guys getting a run out will start or even get a look in in those positions for summer. As fireball said, what has Dempsey to do to get a run? Made the team of the fitzgibbon at corner back. King is another that should be tried corner back at this level, Na P's best man marker in their club run, lightning fast and great touch and skill. The same players at 6 and 11 all through the league. Ryan and wayne are stalwarts and not a thing against them but not a single other player tried? No look at Paudie at midfield. Not Allis.

Basically we have developed no serious new contenders for starting positions, bar say Allis and maybe Tom Ryan after his early games, and Downes who we knew would have to come in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HandsomeRover

They are fantastic players.
    Would like to see this combination tried before June:

Quaid
    Dempsey
    McCarthy
    Condon
    King
    McNamara
    O'Mahoney
    O'Brien
    Browne
    Hannon
    O'Grady
    Dowling (frees)
    Mulcahy
    Downes
    Tobin

Lads to come in after 50mins/injury
    Jim Bob
    Allis
    Hickey
    Breen
    T Ryan
    Walsh

They are fantastic players.
    Would like to see this combination tried before June:

Quaid
    Dempsey
    McCarthy
    Condon
    King
    McNamara
    O'Mahoney
    O'Brien
    Browne
    Hannon
    O'Grady
    Dowling (frees)
    Mulcahy
    Downes
    Tobin

Lads to come in after 50mins/injury
    Jim Bob
    Allis
    Hickey
    Breen
    T Ryan
    Walsh

Would really have worries about Dowling and Hannon in the same half-forward line, may struggle against a strong backline.

I'd like to see:

1. Quaid
    2. Dempsey
    3. McCarthy
    4. Condon
    5. King/Wayne/O'Brien
    6. Hickey/Dodge
    7. Gavin
    8. Browne
    9. O'Brien/Hickey
    10. Ryan
    11. Downes
    12. Hannon
    13. Mulcahy
    14. Dowling
    15. Tobin

With King/Wayne/Dodge, Allis, Tom Ryan, Walsh, Carmody, Breen, Tommy O'Brien all possibilities to be introduced.

I think Hickey has to start somewhere if he's fit and in-form- either at centre-back or midfield. If it's at midfield, we have Paudie at wing-back. If at centre-back, then Paudie at midfield.

Well done to Pallas, beat Wexford CBS to become All-Ireland champions! Fair play to all the lads... that kind of success at schools level can only be good for the club :)

Ard Scoil and Doon both lost, to St. Kieran's and Kilkenny CBS respectively.

Most of that Pallas team is from Ballybrown, not much "local" talent involved. But Ballybrown have done huge work recently as underage so fair dues to all involved.
    Anyway a good result and on ASR & Doon, those players can concentrate on Minor Championship which starts in a few weeks and of course their leaving ;)
    Once all is done hopefully Michael Casey, Ronan & Cian Lynch are brought onto the seniors just to whet their appetite. Indeed Cian Lynch served as a water boy in the Clare Limerick Waterford Crystal match.

What's the prediction for tomorrow?

• Advertisement

francozola wrote: »
    Most of that Pallas team is from Ballybrown, not much "local" talent involved. But Ballybrown have done huge work recently as underage so fair dues to all involved.
    Anyway a good result and on ASR & Doon, those players can concentrate on Minor Championship which starts in a few weeks and of course their leaving ;)
    Once all is done hopefully Michael Casey, Ronan & Cian Lynch are brought onto the seniors just to whet their appetite. Indeed Cian Lynch served as a water boy in the Clare Limerick Waterford Crystal match.

What's the prediction for tomorrow?

As far as I know, there were about 6 or 7 from Kildimo/Pallas on the starting team today; but yeah there would be more from Ballybrown, they simply have bigger playing numbers tbh. And most of the work that the school benefits from would have been done at club and county level tbh, although they have had a nice bit of success in the past couple of years and that must be good for confidence.

I can't see Michael Casey being in the squad, if Alan Dempsey can't even get a look-in at the moment. I'd say it's a bit early for those lads, as talented as they are. Maybe next year.

We should just about beat Laois, but Cork at home, should have enough to overcome Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

With all due respect to Laois, I would be very surprised if we don't win this one by 10+ points. And I have a sneaky feeling that Wexford can get a win/draw in Cork. If they can prevent the Rebels scoring goals they have a good chance.
    Hard to believe that Cork have scored just 1 goal so far in this league, and that was against Antrim.
    No harm being optimistic I suppose...:P

washman3 wrote: »
    With all due respect to Laois, I would be very surprised if we don't win this one by 10+ points. And I have a sneaky feeling that Wexford can get a win/draw in Cork. If they can prevent the Rebels scoring goals they have a good chance.
    Hard to believe that Cork have scored just 1 goal so far in this league, and that was against Antrim.

Well, I hope so... but they beat the Offaly team that we drew with. They only lost by 8 to Cork in Cork, and were very unlucky not to be a lot closer. And they only lost by 6 to Wexford with 14 men.

I think Wexford could cause an upset... but I think Cork will do enough to pull through. They have so far.

I can't see Michael Casey being in the squad, if Alan Dempsey can't even get a look-in at the moment. I'd say it's a bit early for those lads, as talented as they are. Maybe next year..
    I wasn't saying on the squad training full time but maybe bring them in & have them around for the big days, give them the experience of preparation & Championship hurling.
    I agree about Casey probably not going to get a look in for another few years.
    Does anyone here know where Paudie Ahern is from Kilteely? Is he still recovering from doing his cruciate?

francozola wrote: »
    I wasn't saying on the squad training full time but maybe bring them in & have them around for the big days, give them the experience of preparation & Championship hurling.
    I agree about Casey probably not going to get a look in for another few years.
    Does anyone here know where Paudie Ahern is from Kilteely? Is he still recovering from doing his cruciate?

Yeah, wouldn't be a bad idea. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave, Dean Coleman & Dave Dempsey too maybe..... with Richie English, Darragh Donovan & Darragh Kennedy already on the squad.

Aherne is still injured, yeah. Would have been very useful to have in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

washman3 wrote: »
    Think you're right but I still won't feel too positive about things, we seem to have gotten worse as the league has progressed.
    Yeah, wouldn't be a bad idea. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave, Dean Coleman & Dave Dempsey too maybe..... with Richie English, Darragh Donovan & Darragh Kennedy already on the squad.

Aherne is still injured, yeah. Would have been very useful to have in the league.
    I did think maybe the Lynch's might be brought in after the league but too soon I think in fairness. Another year they'll be pretty much ready to start. Maybe we'll have a dream team management of Carey and Kinnerk in place and win the all ireland then :)

Losing early on to Laois, looks like they're well up for it.

Hannon on the bench instead of Ryan. 2 points behind atm. But Wexford leading in the early stages against Cork, got a goal.

2 goals in a minute for Cork. And we're still losing. By 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

The way things are going a win for Wexford and they will go up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

What an odd league campaign, started great and just got progressively worse, can be a sign that all is not well behind the scenes.

Here's hoping for an improved second half, Laois well worth their lead thus far.

• Advertisement

Hopefully Wexford know we're 7 behind, gives them something to play for, if they beat Cork and Laois beat us, Wexford take the promotion spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Is it no quarter finals for Limerick if Wexford win?

We're guaranteed the quarter final spot already (top 4 go through)

Wexford only a point behind Cork! Limerick still struggling to keep up with Laois however

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

There's no all Ireland this year lads, Kilkenny and clare are streets ahead, if we beat a couple of the other league 1 teams ill be happy.

Would have been beat today if not for browne, not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

We win by 4 pts. Dowling introduced in second half and made a huge impact.
    A masterclass from Browne at midfield. I have great respect for this guy, never ever gives less than 100%.
    The win counts for little as Cork beat Wexford so they are promoted.
    On the plus side Hannon was introduced late in the game.
    Liam Ahearne (95FM) informs us that its Galway we play nest week in 1/4 final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

I don't care if dowling is 2 stone over weight he starts, last year, the cork game, today I don't know how much more convincing people need.

Dempsey should start next week ahead of walsh

Downes to the half forward line next week

FFS tom condon had to score twice to bail us out today

Happy with Galway in the quarter final, will be a good test, not ready to mix it with Kilkenny or Clare just yet. A victory over Galway would mean a semi final against Kilkenny or Wexford.

Hearing the Galway game will be up in Galway.

Galway will have all of their Portumna contingent back next weekend. It's a toss for home field advantage, it will take place in the morning, according to the Laois manager. I would give us no chance to win next weekend if it's up in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

The games involving LK/Galway. Tipp/Cork and Clare laois will have a toss of a coin tomorrow to decide who gets home.

Shame as we only had 2 homes, but same as Galway. It shows the league is flawed, all the home teams are winning their games and getting an obvious advantage.

Poor display today v Laois, that wouldn't trouble any serious team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement