Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-132 Atlantis 14/5/10

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

ynotdu wrote: »
    Beeker wrote: »

WHAT!!!!???? You call securing Your Model T Ford,Your Gramaphone,Your collection of 78's,Your Beta max and Your Zimmerframe a good job:eek:;)
    :D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Here's Lookin' at You, Discovery!

Aboard the International Space Station, Expedition 10 Commander Leroy Chiao used a digital camera April 6 to photograph the rollout of the Space Shuttle Discovery at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center from an altitude of 220 statute miles. Chiao captured the rollout at 4:35 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time as the Station flew directly over the launch site. Visible in the image are the Shuttle’s two launch pads at Launch Complex 39. Discovery’s launch pad, 39-B, is on the left.
    Great shot ynotdu! but can you tell us which flight this was the rollout for?
    Give you something to research while at work:D

Countdown well under way now for Fridays launch. After 25 years Atlantis is set to begin her final flight:(

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/sts132/100511atlantis/

Atlantis began her career on October 3 1985 on Shuttle mission STS-51J. This was the 21st shuttle fkight and the first secret military flight.

sts2151jmissionpatch.gif

sts51j.jpg

ses1201.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

soyuztma17crew.jpg
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-3]Creamer, Kotov and Noguchi. Credit: NASA[/SIZE][/FONT]

Originally parked at the Earth-facing port of the station's Zarya module, the Soyuz's relocation was a critical pre-requisite for Atlantis' upcoming construction mission. The shuttle is bringing the Russian Mini Research Module 1, or Rassvet, that will be permanently attached to that Zarya port.

The new module has a dual role of accommodating a room for conducting science and serving as a docking compartment for future visiting vehicles. Now that the station has grown, Rassvet will give a lengthy extension away from other structures when spacecraft approach for docking.
    With Kotov at the controls, Soyuz TMA-17 departed Zarya at 9:26 a.m. EDT while flying 220 miles over northern Africa. A camera on the capsule's nose afforded the crew the chance to inspect the docking port and ensured it's clear of obstructions or debris for Rassvet.
    The capsule backed a safe distance away from the station's underside, completed a roll maneuver, then flew around to the backside of the complex to align with the rear port on the Zvezda module.
    Russian flight controllers outside Moscow gave the cosmonaut approval to begin the final approach as orbital nighttime began. The spacecraft flew a tight corridor to successful latch ahold of the station again at 9:53 a.m. EDT over the Pacific southeast of Japan.
    Leak and pressure checks will take a couple of orbits to complete before the hatchway can be opened around 12:40 p.m. EDT for the crew to float back inside the station. The Soyuz TMA-17 capsule, which launched them to the outpost last December, will remain at the Zvezda port until Kotov, Creamer and Noguchi depart the station on June 1 for return to Earth.

and weather for fridays launch is currently a 70% GO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Just watched press conference. Seems all good to go, except for poss cloud cover. Should be ok though.

• Advertisement

Great shot ynotdu! but can you tell us which flight this was the rollout for?
    Give you something to research while at work:D

Hmmmm Beeker You {impolite word for Testicle}Ya knew exactly what You were doing there did'nt You?

There were five shuttle launchs between April 27th 2005 and and August the 27th 1985(five in 122 days ,and a total of nine STS launchs in the year,surely the record?)

Given that the picture was taken on April the 6th 1985 from expedition 10 aboard the ISS that returned to Earth on April 24th on a Soyuz, and the next Shuttle launch was on April 12th it would have been six days from roll-out to Launch!:eek:

Next one was on April 29th 1985 but IT was called Challenger,from pad 39A!

So it was STS-51G Discovery launched from pad B June 17th 1985,mission time 7 days+1 hour with a payload of Satellites.and landed at Edwards! Humph!!!

unless of course NASA put the wrong caption under the photo in which case it would have been STS-51B Challenger on April 29 as above :D
    QED.

Any day now You or our lost and beloved Lord Lucan will answer why NASA always seemed to prefer pad 39A first asked of Yiz around the time of the launch of Sputnik:rolleyes:

and You buddy will answer what the shortest ever EVA by a Shuttle Astronaut was!

Sorry to interrupt you boys.

Flight is tomorrow morning, taking off at 12 noon. Landing around 4.30/5ish and straight into car to head out to Titusville. Its my birthday too so heading for a drink and some dinner, nothing too late and then up at 7am for collection with tour company to head off to KSC. I want to get some nighttime shots of the shuttle lit up from Titusville while there aswell.

Thanks for all the info lads, its been beautiful. I'll update tomorrow and tomorrow night with whats going on. I've been told theres no wifi/internet in KSC so once I leave the hotel you'll be on your own, Im sure you'll cope.

Flight is tomorrow morning, taking off at 12 noon. Landing around 4.30/5ish and straight into car to head out to Titusville. Its my birthday too so heading for a drink and some dinner, nothing too late and then up at 7am for collection with tour company to head off to KSC. I want to get some nighttime shots of the shuttle lit up from Titusville while there aswell.

Thanks for all the info lads, its been beautiful. I'll update tomorrow and tomorrow night with whats going on. I've been told theres no wifi/internet in KSC so once I leave the hotel you'll be on your own, Im sure you'll cope.

Lol at the sorry to interrupt bit:)and a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!

to use NASA terms.GOD-SPEED You on Your flight&GOD-SPEED Atlantis!!!!!
    If nothing else You will be standing less than four miles from the very spot and pad were Man first set off to land on thr Moon!!!! I envy You!:)

Not forgetting Sept 1981 hopefully You can post as well.
    Not forgetting Stargate hopefully You are out there lurking and We hear from You.!

The time(s)the STS threads on boards really lit up was when the Shuttle and its Orange tank could be seen over Ireland Streaking across the sky just 17 mins after launch.I will never forget that sight!

LL found a way to post from KSC but i really don't know how?

I am in danger of not having internet access on Friday Myself!:eek:

best of luck thecommander!

LL found a way to post from KSC but i really don't know how?

I can turn on data roaming but it costs a fortune. LL, can you help?

The VAB can be clearly seen at middle bottom of pic.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/218723/113759.jpg

• Advertisement

Happy birthday and best of luck!!!!:)

There were five shuttle launchs between April 27th 2005 and and August the 27th 1985(five in 122 days ,and a total of nine STS launchs in the year,surely the record?)

Check the dates again it was 2005. Expidition 10 was on board the ISS which of course was not in orbit in 1985:)
    Any day now You or our lost and beloved Lord Lucan will answer why NASA always seemed to prefer pad 39A first asked of Yiz around the time of the launch of Sputnik:rolleyes:

Don't really know why. I guess that they started to use 39A and kept B as a backup during Apollo. 39A was then converted to Shuttle use while B was used to see out Skylab and then converted to Shuttle use. Its first STS launch was Challenger on 51L in 1986.
    and You buddy will answer what the shortest ever EVA by a Shuttle Astronaut was!
    April 8, 1984 during STS-41C - duration 2 hours 38 mins.:eek:

Check the dates again it was 2005. Expidition 10 was on board the ISS which of course was not in orbit in 1985:)

Don't really know why. I guess that they started to use 39A and kept B as a backup during Apollo. 39A was then converted to Shuttle use while B was used to see out Skylab and then converted to Shuttle use. Its first STS launch was Challenger on 51L in 1986.

April 8, 1984 during STS-41C - duration 2 hours 38 mins.:eek:

Lol, see you did know what You were doing! asking headwrecking questions with only wikipedia for reference whilst fighting tiredness.it was great fun getting 100 diffrient answers from list of shuttle launch dates and Expedition dates and then trying to cross-reference from so many sources with errors so it was!:D oh and at least the bit about 5 flights of shuttles in 122 days in 1985 and a total of 9 for that year is true,pretty Amazing!

Are You sure of Your date of Atlantis's first launch date in a post above?
    It's a lucky dip searching that one too,lots say it was 1984!

Oh well at least i finally got an answer to the shortest EVA!;)

You on or off tomorrow?

Lol, see you did know what You were doing! asking headwrecking questions with only wikipedia for reference whilst fighting tiredness.it was great fun getting 100 diffrient answers from list of shuttle launch dates and Expedition dates and then trying to cross-reference from so many sources with errors so it was!:D oh and at least the bit about 5 flights of shuttles in 122 days in 1985 and a total of 9 for that year is true,pretty Amazing!

Are You sure of Your date of Atlantis's first launch date in a post above?
    It's a lucky dip searching that one too,lots say it was 1984!

Oh well at least i finally got an answer to the shortest EVA!;)

You on or off tomorrow?
    It's always great to look back at the history of the Shuttle...I love it!!!:D
    The answer by the way was Discovery rolling out for the return to flight mission STS 114 in 2005:)
    Atlantis's first flight was 1985, I remember it well. Discovery's maiden flight was 1984 again I remember it well because I was there:)

Working tomorrow but will follow on NASA TV.
    It's eve of launch...God speed Atlantis!:)

It's always great to look back at the history of the Shuttle...I love it!!!:D
    The answer by the way was Discovery rolling out for the return to flight mission STS 114 in 2005:)
    Atlantis's first flight was 1985, I remember it well. Discovery's maiden flight was 1984 again I remember it well because I was there:)

Working tomorrow but will follow on NASA TV.
    It's eve of launch...God speed Atlantis!:)

and Your enthusism for it is infectious!!!!:)
    You can not fall at a fence now tomorrow after seeing,hearing or attending every mission since STS-1 !

*You must have a great job that you can surf for great vids,pics while there:p:D*

and Your enthusism for it is infectious!!!!:)
    You can not fall at a fence now tomorrow after seeing,hearing or attending every mission since STS-1 !
    131 and counting my friend, no intention of missing any now. When I think of the lengths I went to over the years to hear or see a launch I'm amased I never missed a single one. I even left my Wife in labour for about half an hour to drive to a friends house who had CNN to watch STS-69 launch in 1995:D
    *You must have a great job that you can surf for great vids,pics while there:p:D*
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........................don't tell anyone:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I can turn on data roaming but it costs a fortune. LL, can you help?

Whoops,been up in Belfast for the last couple of days rocking out to Metallica,only back on boards now. Yeah,i used the 3g on my phone,cost me about €10 i think for the roaming data charges i used that day. I treated it as a one off,i didn't know whether i'd even get a 3g signal at KSC but it was pretty good,even on the causeway.

Best of luck for tomorrow,Atlantis is behaving impeccably and weather looks pretty good. I still can't believe it's most likely her final flight.:( Go bananas with the camera,you can never take too many pictures.:)

Atlantis - Into the Sunset.

• Advertisement

That was :):):):) and :(:(:(:(:(

Ah Your back from AWOL LL!:)
    Well on this contraption of a desktop i'm on at the moment i cannot watch Your link as it requires Quicktime which i can.t install but have on my laptop.

Beeker no point in watching Your Vid as it has no sound.

All will be solved when i get back to My Laptop!

Really might not have Internet access tomorrow{Signal here in Baikonour is awful!}

So hope You's will carry the flag!:){even if it means DROPPING a baby Beeker,let alone leaving a pregnant womans side}

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=19698.0;attach=221029;image

She's looking great!:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    Go bananas with the camera,you can never take too many pictures.:)

Would You suggest thecommander shoud say "Watch the birdie" LL?;)

Photo I took as we landed into MCO. Loads of people rushed across the plane to have a look. You could see the pad and an orange blur of the ET.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24132/IMG_0906.jpg

Just arrived in Titusville, heading out for food. Talk to you later.

Would You suggest thecommander shoud say "Watch the birdie" LL?;)

The lady is always smiling.:)

Great start with the pics Commander.:cool:

Just back from dinner, took this shot from the pier in Titusville. Took a bit of playing around with camera settings.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/complexvisuals/4604984409/

Just back from dinner, took this shot from the pier in Titusville. Took a bit of playing around with camera settings.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/complexvisuals/4604984409/

Thecommander,the two You have posted so far are sheer class!
    good on ya for remembering us!
    by midnight You will have had about a 30 hour birthday wont You?,What a way to celebrate it!

• Advertisement

Currently tanking,all good so far,no issues.

Advertisement