Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-132 Atlantis 14/5/10

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Crew emergency egress Training on the Pad.

20103034m.jpg

20103036m.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

With STS 134 now delayed to November and 133 becoming the Launch On Need flight for 132 there is the possibility of Atlantis's launch getting delayed. For the Commanders sake I hope not but keep watching for updates.

Update just in: May 14 still targeted despite schedule change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

From Chris at NSF on the change of LON.
    ...but May 14 looks good. Let's hope she behaves on the pad, as they've only got one spare day.

From Chris at NSF on the change of LON.
    Still looks good for you Commander:)

• Advertisement

Payload installed into Atlantis's payload bay over the weekend.

sts132pldinstallation1.jpg

sts132pldinstallation2.jpg

sts132pldinstallation3.jpg

sts132pldinstallation4.jpg

Job done, crawler heading home from the pad.

p1030654stitch.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Don't forget Beaky that another issue may also affect the launch manifest.

on the post landing news conferance of sts-131 which i did not really want to post about at the time because We all know they are still 'High' after a safe landing,and did not want to pour cold water over those hoping to see the launch in person.

Well first of all the NASA PR guy introduced it as the post landing briefing after ENDEAVOUR!,He got a good ribbing from the panel for that!:D

They could not hide their sadness at how little damage there was to the tiles and how safe the External Tanks have become.

The other thing bothering them other than the 134 payload problem is the 'failed' new Nitrogen tank fitted to ISS on 131 and wished in some way they could get it home and fix it,saying the Launch manifest team were considering all kinds of "crazy options"{apparently there is a spare already attached to the ISS which they think the ISS's robotic arms or even an EVA by Station Astronauts could solve,the problem with using the spare so soon is if it began to fail it would shorten the life of the ISS.

$600 million dollars extra are allowed in the budget to cover oct,nov,dec{if needed}to see out the remaining three but that money runs out at the end of December.

thecommander even with all this I am still rooting that things work out for You!:)

ynotdu wrote: »
    Don't forget Beaky that another issue may also affect the launch manifest.

on the post landing news conferance of sts-131 which i did not really want to post about at the time because We all know they are still 'High' after a safe landing,and did not want to pour cold water over those hoping to see the launch in person.

Well first of all the NASA PR guy introduced it as the post landing briefing after ENDEAVOUR!,He got a good ribbing from the panel for that!:D

They could not hide their sadness at how little damage there was to the tiles and how safe the External Tanks have become.

The other thing bothering them other than the 134 payload problem is the 'failed' new Nitrogen tank fitted to ISS on 131 and wished in some way they could get it home and fix it,saying the Launch manifest team were considering all kinds of "crazy options"{apparently there is a spare already attached to the ISS which they think the ISS's robotic arms or even an EVA by Station Astronauts could solve,the problem with using the spare so soon is if it began to fail it would shorten the life of the ISS.

$600 million dollars extra are allowed in the budget to cover oct,nov,dec{if needed}to see out the remaining three but that money runs out at the end of December.

thecommander even with all this I am still rooting that things work out for You!:)

I dont get how that would affect STS 132?

I dont get how that would affect STS 132?

Well they have the funding to err on the side of caution and might decide/be forced to do so,it has been the pattern for one Shuttle mission to be intertwined with another,for instance 130 could not have carried out its mission but for the groundwork carried out by 128's EVA's.Still hoping that a late decision to change payloads or flight launch dates will not spoil things for You:)

However, the exact day that Atlantis will actually make her opening launch attempt is currently clouded by the ongoing manifest meetings surrounding the expected lengthy delay to the STS-134/ULF-6 flight – the Launch On Need (LON) rescue mission for STS-132 crew – because of problems with that mission’s primary payload: AMS-02 (Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer -02).
    A recent decision to replace the primary cryo magnetic on AMS-02 with a more traditional permanent magnet (which will allow for a longer operational life of AMS-02 once on orbit) has produced a request to delay the STS-134/ULF-6 mission until November at the earliest.
    While official word is expected early this coming week regarding the decision of where STS-134 will be moving to, it is possible that the LON rescue flight for STS-132 will need to move to the STS-133/ULF-5 flight in mid-September.
    Since some questions remain as to whether ISS CSCS (Contingency Shuttle Crew Support) consumables can support the six person Atlantis crew and six person ISS crew until STS-133/Discovery could be launched on a rescue flight, it is possible – at this time – that STS-132 will need to be delayed until a time that ISS CSCS consumables can support a STS-133 LON flight.

The pity of it all is the magnet that they want to replace on 134 was based on ISS retirement set for 2015,that after the LONG review was extended to 2020,but to late for a redesign in time for the manifest for the final three.

• Advertisement

However, the exact day that Atlantis will actually make her opening launch attempt is currently clouded by the ongoing manifest meetings surrounding the expected lengthy delay to the STS-134/ULF-6 flight – the Launch On Need (LON) rescue mission for STS-132 crew.....

Did you see this newer article?
    http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/04/shuttle-schedule-extended-sts-134-slip-to-november/

Lol NO i did'nt until You posted the link,what a diffrience a day makes.
    I posted a longer reply but connection went down.
    To summarise that post that disappeared on Me.

I think the idea of a possible 135 supported by Soyuz is bonkers.Two Soyuz always attached to Station to evacuate the six aboard already.
    Another two would be required to evacuate 135 crew if they had to stay aboard the ISS.

It also assumes that the ISS would have enough consumables to support a long stay by 12.
    It assumes that there would be no seperate threat to the ISS that would force an evacuation while waiting for LON Soyuz's,It assumes that the Soyuz fleet might not have to be grounded due to a disaster of it's own.
    which six of the 12 would get the Soyuz's that are already up there evacuation seats?
    There would be no way to evacuate all twelve at once if the threat to the ISS was urgent.

Just the latest update which contains very little new except even NOW safety is still being put first.
    Many Shuttle dependant websites will proably cease to be or get no further updates after the final flight,and i genuinely want that ALL facts/figures are kept for people who might become interested after the whole thing is over.

The boards.ie archives go way back{somebody recently dug up the 9/11 thread as it happened seen through the eyes of 'ordinary' people.It was fascinating to read as i hope the STS threads will be to people not yet born.Boards archives can be quite the back-up!:)

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/04/mod-frr-presents-sts-132-special-topics/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just the latest update which contains very little new except even NOW safety is still being put first.
    Many Shuttle dependant websites will proably cease to be or get no further updates after the final flight,and i genuinely want that ALL facts/figures are kept for people who might become interested after the whole thing is over.

The boards.ie archives go way back{somebody recently dug up the 9/11 thread as it happened seen through the eyes of 'ordinary' people.It was fascinating to read as i hope the STS threads will be to people not yet born.Boards archives can be quite the back-up!:)

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/04/mod-frr-presents-sts-132-special-topics/

I can only imagine what they'd make of some of the banter here!!:p:p

lord lucan wrote: »
    I can only imagine what they'd make of some of the banter here!!:p:p

Hopefully they would realise that it was more than just Science to us,that the Sts programme has been a source of facts,wonderment,courage, and sheer fun,drama and excitement!!!!!:D

Under pressure.
    May 14 is becoming VERY tight now, with notes of "it's just a date" and "we'll launch when ready" starting to come from managers, which is usually a sign of just how tight the flow is.

Under pressure.
    Don't give up hope just yet. This has happened many times over the years. At the end of the day safety will dictate all, and they will only fly when they are as sure as they can that everything is ready.

Beeker wrote: »
    Don't give up hope just yet. This has happened many times over the years. At the end of the day safety will dictate all, and they will only fly when they are as sure as they can that everything is ready.

Ah I know. Know more later today.

Ah yeah,sure before STS-129 Ynotdu posted about potential conflicts with a Delta launch,an Atlas launch and Geminid meteor showers. Sounded like there was no hope of her getting away but she did.

Another unusual crew photo:)

sts132crewbriefing.jpg

• Advertisement

Another unusual crew photo:)

I here 133s crew will be in bikinis in a Hunky Dory ad.

I here 133s crew will be in bikinis in a Hunky Dory ad.
    :D:D:D

Commander you might find some useful info on this site before you head over.

http://spacelaunchinfo.com/faq.html

That was savage,captures the pre-launch excitement very well.:)

That was savage,captures the pre-launch excitement very well.:)
    Yeah, I was most impressed by that.:)

Ah yeah,sure before STS-129 Ynotdu posted about potential conflicts with a Delta launch,an Atlas launch and Geminid meteor showers. Sounded like there was no hope of her getting away but she did.

Referee!!!!! Foul here by Lord Lucan!!!!!!!
    I do believe i called that post 'Lord Lucan.dont shoot the messanger' as i was only relaying NASA's latest News!

thecommander it is not Me You have to worry about It is LL!
    HE is the real HEX!!!!!!
    As he promised he would he found ways to post to us poor sods not at the launch.

one if not the last post by him before Lift-off of 129 was to the effect "This is ALL going too well,I am waiting to hear that the jacks has broken down"
    as things turned out it was really the only problem of significance that 129 had.tubes/pipes that dump urine and other liquid waste got blocked.
    might sound insignificant but affects weight and stability for re-entry.it was sorted though.

I will not repeat what he said in his first post after seeing the Launch,but let Me put it this way,He will NOT be winning the Nobel prize for Litrature anytime soon!:pac::pac::D:D:D

FANTASTIC find there Beeker,Really enjoyed it!
    as You know by now i always love the 'human side' of the STS and other Space travel.

Was great to watch the enthusism by people there to watch the Launch at the beginning of VID.Was great to hear them quote the surly bounds of Earth bit{who cares if it is a prayer,All of Americans and especially the family members of the Crew of Challenger said President Reagan{who cares that He was a Republican:)} gave them great comfort after what was a National Tragedy confounded even more because All the Schoolkids of America were in assembly and watching it live because Christa McAulife had either been to their school or was going to be after the return}

I really enjoyed the old NBC reporter bit too,Him covering it since day one.
    on all the press conferances He unlike most of the other reporters shows a lot of Empathy towards the NASA staff and is never cruel in his questions.

I wont say what i would like to do that 'Dude' Ya know just hanging out at the beach,drinking beer,just another launch to him and a "waste of tax dollars"

I cannot describe the Video better than LL did! It was SAVAGE!
    Did not realise LL was fluent 'as gailge' as We know Savage is the Irish translation of AWESOME!!!!:p:p:p

Referee!!!!! Foul here by Lord Lucan!!!!!!!
    I do believe i called that post 'Lord Lucan.dont shoot the messanger' as i was only relaying NASA's latest News!

thecommander it is not Me You have to worry about It is LL!
    HE is the real HEX!!!!!!
    As he promised he would he found ways to post to us poor sods not at the launch.

one if not the last post by him before Lift-off of 129 was to the effect "This is ALL going too well,I am waiting to hear that the jacks has broken down"
    as things turned out it was really the only problem of significance that 129 had.tubes/pipes that dump urine and other liquid waste got blocked.
    might sound insignificant but affects weight and stability for re-entry.it was sorted though.

I will not repeat what he said in his first post after seeing the Launch,but let Me put it this way,He will NOT be winning the Nobel prize for Litrature anytime soon!:pac::pac::D:D:D

Says the man who posted abort videos for my viewing pleasure before STS-129!!:pac::pac:

Lol at the after launch quotes. One thing i never mentioned,and fortunately you can't here it in the video,was i shouted "Go on ya good thing" after she cleared the tower.:D:D

• Advertisement

Says the man who posted abort videos for my viewing pleasure before STS-129!!:pac::pac:

Lol at the after launch quotes. One thing i never mentioned,and fortunately you can't here it in the video,was i shouted "Go on ya good thing" after she cleared the tower.:D:D

:D:D:p:D:D

Advertisement