Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-132 Atlantis 14/5/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Still reasonably positive,hope everything works out. I'd say your nerves are shot!:eek:

lord lucan wrote: »
    Still reasonably positive,hope everything works out. I'd say your nerves are shot!:eek:

I was at a point about 5/6 weeks ago that I wasnt going. Too far to fly etc, have a few weddings to go to during the summer, also going to Ibiza for a week. Then my accountant told me he had always wanted to fly Concorde, and left it that late to book that he never got the chance to do it. Said he kicks himself everytime he goes to fly somewhere.

About 4 weeks ago I said to to my girlfriend about going, she was jumping on board but didnt really have an idea of what went on. Now every morning, shes onto various sites checking on FRRs, opinions on the launch, long range forecasts. It gets discussed about 20 times a day. Turns out a friend of hers is friends with an astronaut and he said if we're ever in Texas to come down to Houston and we'll get the full backstage tour.

So, to answer your question, yes, its nerveracking, its not like its only me looking at it either. Booking the flights next Wednesday once I know what day they're aiming for after the FRR.

I was at a point about 5/6 weeks ago that I wasnt going. Too far to fly etc, have a few weddings to go to during the summer, also going to Ibiza for a week. Then my accountant told me he had always wanted to fly Concorde, and left it that late to book that he never got the chance to do it. Said he kicks himself everytime he goes to fly somewhere.

That's the other thing i always wanted to do in my lifetime along with a shuttle launch. Unless some rich Sheikh decides to buy one and make it airworthy i think i've missed my chance on that one.

I flew solo for the shuttle launch as the wife has no interest in it. She sort of regretted she didn't go after it was over. I couldn't hear the P.A. very well on the causeway so i text her to go onto SpaceflightNow's website and look at the live updates and keep me up to date. She caught the buzz as it headed towards polling and got caught up in the excitement of it all and said later she wished she'd gone.

That's the other thing i always wanted to do in my lifetime along with a shuttle launch. Unless some rich Sheikh decides to buy one and make it airworthy i think i've missed my chance on that one.

Skip that
    http://www.virgingalactic.com/

• Advertisement

I'd love to but Concorde appears cheap in comparison to the $200,000 that Virgin want. Hopefully if it's successful it'll come down in price.

I'd love to but Concorde appears cheap in comparison to the $200,000 that Virgin want. Hopefully if it's successful it'll come down in price.

I'll sell my house when I'm 70 and go. Feck the will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Jeez just as long as i did not have to suffer Richard Branson as My 'Crewmate' i would happily recklessly borrow money to get a seat on this!:)

Oh hang on Reckless borrowing has been tried before:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I'll sell my house when I'm 70 and go. Feck the will.
    :D:D I'll go with you :D:D:D

Beeker wrote: »
    :D:D I'll go with you :D:D:D

Me too,just don't tell the wife!:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Me too,just don't tell the wife!:p

No chance,:eek: Wives know everything even before we think it:D:D:D:D

No chance,:eek: Wives know everything even before we think it:D:D:D:D

Mrs Beeker has just informed Mission Control that:

"I HEARD THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭12april1981

Loaded with press kits and cameras and lens Myself and my wife Siobhan will be heading to the Cape and launch of sts 132 this coming friday.We will have the privilege of watching the launch from the Press site.We will write and send many pics and hope to bring you all a little closer to the launch.I have a feeling the files are too large on my computer,as they have failed to attach to my mails,but we will find a way hopefully.

All the best

Eamonn and Siobhan

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭12april1981

Our first trip to the pad,I think this was sts 120

Loaded with press kits and cameras and lens Myself and my wife Siobhan will be heading to the Cape and launch of sts 132 this coming friday.We will have the privilege of watching the launch from the Press site.We will write and send many pics and hope to bring you all a little closer to the launch.I have a feeling the files are too large on my computer,as they have failed to attach to my mails,but we will find a way hopefully.

All the best

Eamonn and Siobhan

Heading over too. I'll be at the causeway, have a good launch.

I received an email a few days ago from somebody who does not wish to be named These photos are unique as they were taken by NASA staff after STS-128 had to land at Edwards Air force base.So some eye candy while We wait on what is decided on Wednesday.
    112598.jpg

112601.jpg

112602.jpg

112603.jpg
    112604.jpg

more eye candy.

112605.jpg

112606.jpg

112607.jpg

112608.jpg
    112608.jpg

more112610.jpg
    112611.jpg

112612.jpg
    112613.jpg
    112614.jpg

more
    112615.jpg

112616.jpg

112617.jpg
    112618.jpg
    112619.jpg

• Advertisement

and finally,Phew!Sorry I could not decide what might be Your favourites:)

112620.jpg
    112621.jpg
    112622.jpg

Go Atlantis! Go 1981! Go thecommander!!!!

All the best

Eamonn and Siobhan

Hi Eamonn and Siobhan You lucky devils!:)
    I would like if ye can get a chance to post about it what the mood about the place is like as it all heads into history?

ynotdu wrote: »
    I received an email a few days ago from somebody who does not wish to be named.If as expected this is the final flight of Atlantis these photos are unique as they were taken by NASA staff after it flew the final repair mission to Hubble{STS-125}.

I got an email from Boards while out about this thread, couldn't see the photos. Thought there was a bit of inside information on something that was wrong with STS132. Rushed home from the gig and saw these pics. Thanks for them, but you gave me a scare!

I got an email from Boards while out about this thread, couldn't see the photos. Thought there was a bit of inside information on something that was wrong with STS132. Rushed home from the gig and saw these pics. Thanks for them, but you gave me a scare!

Lol thecommander,it's My job! I have been appointed by NASA as the official Shuttle scare the pants off people flying out to see a launch Director!:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

If as expected this is the final flight of Atlantis these photos are unique as they were taken by NASA staff after it flew the final repair mission to Hubble{STS-125}.It had to land at Edwards and piggyback on the 747 to KSC.

Aren't all those photos of the space shuttle Discovery??

spideog7 wrote: »
    Aren't all those photos of the space shuttle Discovery??

Yes indeed You are right!!!:o,I gotta stop working nights:(

That was STS-128 Discovery whose mission was to bring the the Multi Purpose Logistics Module{Leanardo}to resupply the International Space Station and bring 'garbage' and Science experiments back to Earth.

The Spacewalks{EVA's}were mostly dedicated to preperations for the arriaval of Node 3{Tranquility}and Cupola.They hit a minor snag when two electrical connections would not 'mate',They ducktaped it and 129 with an adapter connected the wiring within an hour of it's first EVA.
    STS-128 lasted just short of 14 days and landed at Edwards.

Up until recently Discovery was to be the very last Shuttle and was deliberatly going to land at Edwards,fly from west to East coast on the back of a 747 as a 'last hurrah' from the STS Programme in september, but it now looks as Endeavour will have that honour as it's payload will not be ready until at least November,Their is even some 'crazy talk' about an STS-135 supported by Soyuz's as rescue Vehicles.They have a lot of dilemas:(
    So in the event that Discovery{133} will not be forced to land at Edwards the pictures are at least valid as 'the last time Discovery piggybacked across the entire US.'

also have been hearing that a feasability study has been done and concluded that the Space Shuttle that never flew{Enterprise}could at an affordable cost be moved to a lesser known museum to accept one of the Orbitors that has actually flown.

My Sig used to read :I NEVER SAID I WAS PERFECT!

I think i might change it back to that!:o:o:D

All the best

Eamonn and Siobhan

Great stuff Eamonn and Siobhan, wish i was going with you,:(
    Looking forward to your photos, videos and experiences...please share:)

I NEVER SAID I WAS PERFECT!
    You might not be but you are a legend my friend:D Some fantastic photos there...any more out there somewhere.............:)

You might not be but you are a legend my friend:D Some fantastic photos there...any more out there somewhere.............:)

Beaky! moi a legend?You do embaress Me sometimes with Your very kind nature.

Please feel free to embaress Me some more though!;):)

• Advertisement

I thought just for one STS thread an entire mission overview would be worthy of posting,and no better one than this held on Monday.{Their is nothing on the NASA TV Scedule to indicate that there will be any TV coverage of tomorrows 'final deciscions.

It is a long video which if time can be spared is worth watching in it's entirety{fierce workload for this crew!}

The one to watch is the last guy on the right.Now in charge of launch intergration.He has flown seven Shuttle missions of which five were on Atlantis,Astronaut Jerry Ross.He kicks in at about 34 minutes into the video,also 48.and 58.It is the closest i have seen to somebody letting the diplomatic face down and criticising the new direction.

Just two items of note over the weekend:
    A progress resupply partialy failed as it approached the ISS and by all accounts a Cosmonaut done a brilliant job of taking over its controls from the ISS and safely docking it.

The problem with the Nitrogen and amonia blockage that were of concern after 131 fitted the new tank has been solved by signals sent by the team on the ground,So a big reliefe to the launch manifest team:)

Advertisement