Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-132 Atlantis 14/5/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

ynotdu wrote: »
    You know since STS-1 they have always had the ability to do an EVA in case the flap that feeds the fuel from the ET to the SSME's did not close.
    an inspection of the orbiters was always possible.

What a shame they did not use them and have a repair kit from day one,because really it was Columbia that shortened the STS's potential lifetime more than anything:(

Perversely it was Columbia's demise which has led to the programme being as safe as it has ever been at any time in its history. The ridiculously low number of IPR's on the last few missions is testament to the workforce who work on the orbiters and the care that goes into them. Unfortunately 'Dubya' had already made the call to curtail the programme.:(

At least they're going out in best and safest possible way.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

EVA 2 got underway at 11.38 AM Irish time.Lol at this mornings wake-up call to the crew 'Start Me UP' as the main job today is to install new batteries,I hope they are Duracell!;)
    Since the EVA began in Orbital nightime this is the best pic in so far.
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21666.0;attach=224505;image

but first of all to unsnag that pesky cable to allow the pan and tilt camera to move fully
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21666.0;attach=224528;image

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

hi all,a bit off topic here but worth it

i know you guys never get sick of seeing photos of the shuttle and related stuff

some great pics here of the shuttle from the boston globe site

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/05/first_of_the_last_space_shuttl.html

heres another selection from the boston globe archives

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/journeys_to_the_international.html
    Some fantastic shots there. great find! Thanks:)

Two buddies doing what good buddys do best,just hanging out.
    complete shortage of pics of the two Astronauts in the one shot after more than five hours into the EVA, seems to be going well.
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21666.0;attach=225106;image

update,todays objectives have been completed sucessfully.Lots of hilarious banter between the Astronauts and mission control in the past while

"You guys up to some get ahead tasks"?"Do You feel up to them"

They have stored away all the tools they needed for the primary goals,checked out their suits in the airlock,reposistioned their tethers and will attempt to fully tighten the KU band Antenna installed on EVA 1,which has a whole millimetre gap from its mount.If nescessary unloosing 4 screws and re-inserting them.
    If they are satisfied the Antenna is fully secure they will take away a temporary tether that was added on EVA 1.
    This will save time for EVA 3

The KU band Antenna:
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21666.0;attach=225194;image

Good news is they sorted KU Antenna and have removed the safety restraints.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Both back in the airlock...Job done:)

iss023e044791.jpg

• Advertisement

What a beautiful machine. This is where it should be:)...............not in a museum:(

iss023e044659.jpg

iss023e044532.jpg

iss023e044812.jpg

shuttleatlantisonorbiti.jpg

Official NASA timing of EVA 2.
    It ended at 18.47 after a seven hour and nine minute EVA.

I am VERY unhappy that the Last ever EVA of the entire STS programme due on Friday will be such a mundane affair:(

Really i expected more from NASA:mad:

All twelve performing Riverdance on a Solar panel may'be?

or may'be all twelve linedancing on "My little Soyuz"(would 12 fit on the Soyuz?)

Yours sincerely:
    OUTRAGED!!!!!!

Official NASA timing of EVA 2.
    It ended at 18.47 after a seven hour and nine minute EVA.

I am VERY unhappy that the Last ever EVA of the entire STS programme due on Friday will be such a mundane affair:(

Really i expected more from NASA:mad:

or may'be all twelve linedancing on "My little Soyuz"(would 12 fit on the Soyuz?)

Yours sincerely:
    OUTRAGED!!!!!!
    I think there are 3 walks scheduled for STS 134 unless that has changed:confused:

Mikhail Flatlekhov!:pac::pac:

lord lucan wrote: »
    Mikhail Flatlekhov!:pac::pac:
    :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

My video of the launch. Again, like the photos I was there to see the launch in person, not to look at it thru a viewfinder. Its handheld, so its a bit shaky, but it came out ok. You can here the odd bit of talk between me and other half, I was telling her about sound suppression water system earlier in the day, she had the binoculars.

http://vimeo.com/11872808

My video of the launch. Again, like the photos I was there to see the launch in person, not to look at it thru a viewfinder. Its handheld, so its a bit shaky, but it came out ok. You can here the odd bit of talk between me and other half, I was telling her about sound suppression water system earlier in the day, she had the binoculars.

http://vimeo.com/11872808
    Grfeat stuff Commander! The other halves are great to explain things too. After all these years mine just says yeah, yeah, yeah:D:D

Beeker wrote: »
    The other halves are great to explain things too. After all these years mine just says yeah, yeah, yeah:D:D

A "space widow" as 1981's wife told my girlfriend the other night.

A "space widow" as 1981's wife told my girlfriend the other night.
    LOL:D Mine often refers to herself as a "shuttle widow" when we are in company:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eilejh

And I hope to see Endeavour launch.

Sorry for being absent-but my access has become limited. As you can see, I have access right now lol. I am in awe of the photos and reports; and, as one commenter stated: "Swoon".......thanks for being here, and on behalf of Texas-thank you so much for all you and yours do.

eilejh wrote: »
    Sorry for being absent-but my access has become limited. As you can see, I have access right now lol. I am in awe of the photos and reports; and, as one commenter stated: "Swoon".......thanks for being here, and on behalf of Texas-thank you so much for all you and yours do.

If you have any questions about the launch that haven't been covered (hotels/tickets etc) drop me a PM and Ill do my best.

If you have any questions about the launch that haven't been covered (hotels/tickets etc) drop me a PM and Ill do my best.

I want to present a State of Texas Flag to one of you. On the date of a Launch. I was trying to do that when I got stymied. The offer stands-just not a surprise now.

I want to present a State of Texas Flag to one of you. On the date of a Launch. I was trying to do that when I got stymied. The offer stands-just not a surprise now.

Ah,the Lone star state. It's easy to forget the impact the ending of the STS programme will have on Texas and all the people at JSC. Most of the attention is naturally on KSC as that's the orbiters home base is but there's a huge facility at JSC for training,mission control staff as well as the Astronaut corps. The pain will be felt in Texas as much as Florida. JSC is still on my list of things to do. Think i'll wait until the Orbiters have been dispatched to their 'new' homes and tie it in with a trip to see Atlantis.:)

This is one of the best non-NASA launch vids i've seen in a long time. Crank it up to 1080 and watch in fullscreen,great stuff.

• Advertisement

I'd love to watch a launch from the VAB roof. Amazing view and no obstructions. Sounds weird too with no NASA P.A. in the background.

Holy cow! A flag for each of you..... a Texas Flag flown over the Texas State Capitol. Accompanied by a Texas State Certificate marking the date, occasion, and your blessed name ha! My thanks to you for the love and photos of the spacecraft. Someone pm me sometime to discuss logistics re same.

Holy cow! A flag for each of you..... a Texas Flag flown over the Texas State Capitol. Accompanied by a Texas State Certificate marking the date, occasion, and your blessed name ha! My thanks to you for the love and photos of the spacecraft. Someone pm me sometime to discuss logistics re same.

As you've probably guessed we're all a bit Space nuts here. As each mission proceeds and we get nearer the end it's good to document everything like this,pictures,video,you name it. In years to come we'll have these pages as our archive of these times.:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    Ah,the Lone star state. It's easy to forget the impact the ending of the STS programme will have on Texas and all the people at JSC. Most of the attention is naturally on KSC as that's the orbiters home base is but there's a huge facility at JSC for training,mission control staff as well as the Astronaut corps. The pain will be felt in Texas as much as Florida. JSC is still on my list of things to do. Think i'll wait until the Orbiters have been dispatched to their 'new' homes and tie it in with a trip to see Atlantis.:)

Thanks. When you go to JSC you will see the actual United States Flag that will be THE flag placed on Mars. It is hanging on a wall in the simulation lab or whatever-it's like a huge hangar. With mock-ups etc. Oh, and you will see the Saturn V Rocket from the Moon Mission. I think Discovery is the fair-haired child of shuttles....she is very popular.

Mission management team are happy that Atlantis' TPS is in good shape,nothing has turned up from pics taken during the RPM and the slightly less mobile boom camera.

Thanks. When you go to JSC you will see the actual United States Flag that will be THE flag placed on Mars. It is hanging on a wall in the simulation lab or whatever-it's like a huge hangar. With mock-ups etc. Oh, and you will see the Saturn V Rocket from the Moon Mission. I think Discovery is the fair-haired child of shuttles....she is very popular.
    Hi eilejh good to see you back:) I was wondering where you vanished too. Lots of sadness here as the STS programme winds up but nowhere near as bad as it must be for the folks in the US who will loose their jobs as a result:(
    There have been some great photos this time around and I guess they will get even better with the last 2 flights.
    Hope you get to the Endeavour launch, looks like it will be early next year.
    Fingers crossed:)

It's a quiet day on Atlantis so i'm trawling youtube for launch videos!:):)

Gotta love this guys enthusiasm,and he's watching it from Orlando!! Nice little political commentary at the end!

• Advertisement

And from across the water in Titusville. Careful with the volume,these girls scream loud!!

Advertisement