Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-132 Atlantis 14/5/10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21655.0;attach=223963;imageconfirmation that the RUSSIAN module has been safely removed whilst the ISS/STS were over CHINA:eek:

The West Is DOOMED!:eek:

picture shows Rassvet at the end of the Robotic arm shortly after removal from Atlantis's payload bay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

ynotdu wrote: »
    confirmation that the RUSSIAN module has been safely removed whilst the ISS/STS were over CHINA:eek:

The West Is DOOMED!:eek:
    With the Shuttle retiring and no new US vehicle on the horizon, it looks as if the Russians and Chinese will take control of the final frontier:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21655.0;attach=223963;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21655.0;attach=223965;image

Station arm has grappled and the Shuttle arm will now disengage.
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21655.0;attach=223977;image

Shuttle arm now ungrappled

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21655.0;attach=223991;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21655.0;attach=223995;image

• Advertisement

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21655.0;attach=224003;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21655.0;attach=224007;image

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Beeker wrote: »
    iss023e044747.jpg

************SWOON************

nice ones in of russian Module attached to the ISS Robotic arm.3rd one was taken over Bali.The pink color on the earth below usually indicates desert sands:index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21655.0;attach=224014;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21655.0;attach=224017;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21655.0;attach=224019;image

picture of docking probe on MRM which has jut been given a GO for docking to its permanent home on the ISS.{The Zavaria control module}
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21655.0;attach=224074;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21032.0;attach=224033;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21655.0;attach=224109;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21655.0;attach=224111;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21655.0;attach=224115;image

• Advertisement

Capture and job done!:)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21655.0;attach=224119;image

Conformation of a hard dock at exactly 1.30 PM Irish time.
    As usual they were at their funniest at the tensest moments.
    So many involved it was difficult to know who was saying what.

One Astronauts voice: "We got no indication of the probes contact"

Mission Control: "Thats because the Robotic arm controler scored a hole in one!":D:D:D

They need not fear for jobs in the future they would all get Stand-up comedians jobs:)

For Anoraks,Geeks,Nerds, the new module is 20 feet long by 8 feet diameter!:)

Atlantis's Crew even get a long rest period today,Any bets they will spend it in Cupola?:)

For Anoraks,Geeks,Nerds, the new module is 20 feet long by 8 feet diameter!:)
    Geeks, Nerds....Where here.....:eek::D:D:D

Atlantis's Crew even get a long rest period today,Any bets they will spend it in Cupola?:)
    That's where I'd be:)

Beeker wrote: »
    Geeks, Nerds....Where here.....:eek::D:D:D

That's where I'd be:)

What do You mean thats were You would be:confused:

You are already there,You Spacer!:pac::pac::):D

Awwwwwwwwww, Lets all shake hands:
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21655.0;attach=224248;image

as the West hands Space to the East!:p

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21655.0;attach=224250;image

I'd spend it in Atlantis!:o

You Spacer!:pac::pac::):D

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

lord lucan wrote: »

I always wondered how they sleep, not in the physical way but actually how do they fall asleep. I couldn't sleep the night before flying here so how do they with all the excitement.

I always wondered how they sleep, not in the physical way but actually how do they fall asleep. I couldn't sleep the night before flying here so how do they with all the excitement.

They spend the weeks before a mission getting into a pattern based on the mission timeline. It'd be like you spending the last 5 weeks in Ireland on US Eastern time so when you arrived in the US you'd be adapted to the different time zone.

They're usually given medication to aid sleep too as Astronauts who haven't a good sleep will be more prone to errors,particularly critical if you're due to do an EVA the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

They're usually given medication to aid sleep too as Astronauts who haven't a good sleep will be more prone to errors,particularly critical if you're due to do an EVA the next day.

Thought as much about the drugs. Your head would be racing thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

hi all,a bit off topic here but worth it

i know you guys never get sick of seeing photos of the shuttle and related stuff

some great pics here of the shuttle from the boston globe site

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/05/first_of_the_last_space_shuttl.html

heres another selection from the boston globe archives

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/journeys_to_the_international.html

Thought as much about the drugs. Your head would be racing thinking about it.

Yeah,that and trying to sleep in a sleeping bag that's vertical and tethered to the wall would be very weird,even for experienced astronauts.

2nd of the 3 EVA's to take place wednesday:Only thing to be added is about an extra half hour as they intend to try to free up the Camera that prevented them doing a full inspection of Atlantis after lift-off.

hi all,a bit off topic here but worth it

i know you guys never get sick of seeing photos of the shuttle and related stuff

some great pics here of the shuttle from the boston globe site

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/05/first_of_the_last_space_shuttl.html

heres another selection from the boston globe archives

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/journeys_to_the_international.html

Great stuff refusetolose,especially as they are captioned!
    Thank You!

LL after Your campaign to wear us all down,We do not even dispute that Atlantis belongs with You.she SHALL be Yours,flippen eck Ya should have tried out Cupola as well though!:)

LL after Your campaign to wear us all down,We do not even dispute that Atlantis belongs with You.she SHALL be Yours,flippen eck Ya should have tried out Cupola as well though!:)

I suppose i'd give cupola half an hour!:D

I suppose i'd give cupola half an hour!:D

admit it,You just don't like cleaning windows:p:)

and don't forget that up until very recently the manifest said tomorrow is the 2nd last ever spacewalk from a Shuttle crew not just from Atlantis but by the fleet.

Only question now is will installation of Leanardo require EVA's?

or if 135 gets a GO will it require one?

NASA's remaining missions link is saying nowt,because truth is they hav'nt a notion yet themselves!:D

I don't foresee any more EVA's after STS-132. No doubt they'll train for them in case an emergency EVA is required but hopefully it won't be needed. Afaik Leonardo and the AMS unit can be moved to the ISS using the existing arms of the ISS and Shuttle so they won't need to leave the vehicle.

• Advertisement

I don't foresee any more EVA's after STS-132. No doubt they'll train for them in case an emergency EVA is required but hopefully it won't be needed. Afaik Leonardo and the AMS unit can be moved to the ISS using the existing arms of the ISS and Shuttle so they won't need to leave the vehicle.

You know since STS-1 they have always had the ability to do an EVA in case the flap that feeds the fuel from the ET to the SSME's did not close.
    an inspection of the orbiters was always possible.

What a shame they did not use them and have a repair kit from day one,because really it was Columbia that shortened the STS's potential lifetime more than anything:(

Advertisement