Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Show - 26th February 2010

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Poly wrote: »
    I hate this Late Late lite.
    Another pi$$ poor performance from stick man, please bring back the plank.

We know Pat couldn't do the fluffy stuff, but at least he could do the heavy stuff well.
    Tubs just waffles through the whole crappy show leaving you wishing you went to bed or the pub.

I don't remember Tubs mumbling this much on Tubridy Tonight. His presenting style is getting worse not better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 fitch34

I thought she sang that song lovely, i remember the last time she was on, she sang messenger boy, its a great version! Truely a brilliant singer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVG4sjC4Yk

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PostHack

Is that true or are you being facetious ? Never seemed like the type. She used to be gorgeous.

No, I'm being totally serious. I saw an interview with her and her sister and father. Both the daughters got heavily into drugs when they were younger, heroin AFAIK.

She was always a pretty little thing. I got a shock when I saw her giving that interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PostHack

Koloman wrote: »
    I don't remember Tubs mumbling this much on Tubridy Tonight. His presenting style is getting worse not better!

Starting to feel the pressure I'd say, maybe the novelty is wearing off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

PostHack wrote: »
    No, I'm being totally serious. I saw an interview with her and her sister and father. Both the daughters got heavily into drugs when they were younger, heroin AFAIK. She was always a pretty little thing. I got a shock when I saw her giving that interview.

Jaysus never thought she was the type. Must have fallen in with a bad crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

A bizarre ol' LLS tonight... That's a whole lot better than I am used to saying about it.

First off Gilbert o Sullivan, be gone.. I wouldn't be surprised if his middle name was dyson, his songs suck the life outta ya, and they all sound the same. As a famous manager once said if he was playing in the back garden I'd close the curtains..

McDaid was fortright enough to his credit, he still knows what side his bread is buttered on of course. I suppose if they can take back Beverly C Flynn then there's always a chance for him.

The piece on 30 something singles was bland. That O Callaghan is a right dik, Nuala should have more self respect, both her parents are doctors don't you know. There's no medicine for her problems..

What can I say about McGowan, a true musical legend.. Sure he's fond of a drop. It's the best of both worlds really, getting locked and performing good tunes to a worshipping audience. A visit to the dentist wouldn't go astray though, for Victoria.

We can only be thankful that Mary Coughlin only sang and didn't sit down..

As for Dunphy he tried to be humble, it didn't really work despite the threatening waterworks, but I applaud his general sentiment. The charity he was flagging is truly a wonderful outfit.

Lastly WTF was Eddie Reader doing? The words didn't translate, it was a mess.

PS. Stickman is a tool...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,950 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

A bizarre ol' LLS tonight... That's a whole lot better than I am used to saying about it.

First off Gilbert o Sullivan, be gone.. I wouldn't be surprised if his middle name was dyson, his songs suck the life outta ya, and they all sound the same. As a famous manager once said if he was playing in the back garden I'd close the curtains..

McDaid was fortright enough to his credit, he still knows what side his bread is buttered on of course. I suppose if they can take back Beverly C Flynn then there's always a chance for him.

The piece on 30 something singles was bland. That O Callaghan is a right dik, Nuala should have more self respect, both her parents are doctors don't you know. There's no medicine for her problems..

What can I say about McGowan, a true musical legend.. Sure he's fond of a drop. It's the best of both worlds really, getting locked and performing good tunes to a worshipping audience. A visit to the dentist wouldn't go astray though, for Victoria.

We can only be thankful that Mary Coughlin only sang and didn't sit down..

As for Dunphy he tried to be humble, it didn't really work despite the threatening waterworks, but I applaud his general sentiment. The charity he was flagging is truly a wonderful outfit.

PS. Stickman is a tool...

Excellent all round review, I switched off after the Boredom of Mary Coughlan, did catch the Mc Daid interview and noticed the audience applause was quite muted, more than likely most of them had fallen asleep at that stage. This format, Host, Music, Guest line up etc is just getting worse, Turbidy, put us out of our Misery. One good thing about tonight however was switching over to Johnathon Woss, now this was a show, Classic guests and he'll be missed! doubt RTE could afford him as a replacement to stick insect:cool:

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Cris Jones

I enjoyed Gilbert O'Sullivan, thought he seemed to be a really nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Rant:

Tubridy is awful. I don't watch the show too often but from what I have seen the guy has no idea how to interview someone.
    EG: He had Steve Baldwin on a few weeks back. Baldwin is a born again Christian and they talked about that. Tubridy knew that Baldwin had a tattoo, on his neck, of some significants so he asked him about it. Baldwin starts to explain how it's a reference to a short passage in the bible and what it means to him etc and 1/2 way through Tubridy's starts demanding to see the tattoo! Tub you tool, the explanation was what was important, not seeing 3:13 on some guys neck! You could tell that Baldwin felt the same way!

McDaid: He gives him about 10 minutes to waffle on, sorry explain, how he got p*ssed and was caught drunk driving. "We were drinking wine... oh and Guinness"- Translation: I was drinking wine but voters in Donegal wouldn't approve of that so I will add in the black stuff!

After they had finished with the drunk driving piece(was there a point to it?, sorry if I am been insensitive) they had a brief chat about politics. McDaid wants his party OUT of government so that the other parties can take the blame for the mess that his party created. He thinks that if FF stay in power for another budget or two the party will be decimated which would be BAD for Ireland. Tub couldn't even utter a simple follow up question like.. "Why would that be bad for Ireland?"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,950 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Could not agree more, i wondered what in heavens name was the purpose and point in having a failed politician on the show, i wanted to reach inside the TV and slap Mc Daid, his smug exterior was further highlighted by the way is lounged back on the chair, he would have been better off lying on the floor, complete and total nonsensical interview.

This Show, which i rarely watch is gone from bad to worse, is it me or has Turbidy become tired and somewhat Bored? its just dreadful to watch.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Turgid rubbish from start to finish. From the off Tubridy looked like he hadn't done his homework for ANY of his guests. WTF is going on :confused: Either Tubridy should go or his researchers should. Awful stuff - I switched over to Jonathan Ross and his excellent interview with Johnny Depp and Tim Burton towards the end and it was a joy to watch compared to the Late Late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Very harsh. Gilbert is an excellent songwriter, and does have positive songs "What's in a kiss", "do wacka day etc" and "Matrimony". His sadder songs are just better known. I think he has become a bit embittered by a) the long running argument/court case he had with his manager Mills(i.e. the father of Clair Mills) and b) the lack of recognition that he gets. Still a fine performer and writer.

No comparision between McDaid and Flynn. Jim has his problems, but he's a decent guy who knows his faults and held his hands up for his mistakes. Flynn took a case against RTE, couldnt afford legal costs and then got bailed out by the taxpayer... All the time she was working in the background to ensure that if RTE had insisted on recouping all their legal costs and bankrupted her, that she would still be allowed to run for office. There is no honesty or decency about her.
    The piece on 30 something singles was bland.
    Thought this was very disjointed. I mean one high maintenance woman with ridiculous expectations, two lonely hearts, and one older woman who's participation still confuses me...
    What can I say about McGowan, a true musical legend..
    But not legendary enough to stay sober and perform a song like Gilbert did. Like I said before, if he came on drunk once you would forgive him. But coming on drunk EVERY time without fail is just insulting to everybody involved in viewing / creating the show.
    I'm just wondering who's idea this was? It really didnt work, and would have taken quite a bit of effort to translate and learn on her part. Bizarre.

Tubridy again was poor, but what would you expect. Any of his political interviews are tainted by his FF bias, and the man simply does not know enough (and apparently is not willing to RESEARCH) about sport to properly interview any of the sports people that come on. So working with those two serious Achilles' heels, he is always gonna be struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Tubridy again was poor, but what would you expect. Any of his political interviews are tainted by his FF bias, and the man simply does not know enough (and apparently is not willing to RESEARCH) about sport to properly interview any of the sports people that come on. So working with those two serious Achilles' heels, he is always gonna be struggling.

Yep, that's it, plus he's too biased to have a proper debate on the show, in fairness to the plank, he chaired some great debates on the LLS.
    Just imagine Tubs if Brendan Gleeson came on and launched into his tirade about the HSE again, he’d be scrambling for the que cards!

He's too egotistical to interview celebrities and let them talk (ala Parkinson /Gay Byrne) and not witty enough to try and usurp them like J.Ross.
    All we have is his him banging through his list of question, and him banging on his stupid desk.
    It’s terrible to watch.
    Here’s a wild suggestion, give the show to Fr. Brian Darcy.
    He doesn’t seem that happy in the priesthood anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Nuala Carey takes her rings off so that men will approach her.

Nuala, I know of a lot of men that wouldn't approach you not even if you took your knickers off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shmun

You have it wrong - only one daughter WAS on heroine....
    Hermione managed her dad - you can't do that on drugs!

I liked her dress and love her voice too... but then she has a great heritage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shmun

No, I'm being totally serious. I saw an interview with her and her sister and father. Both the daughters got heavily into drugs when they were younger, heroin AFAIK.

She was always a pretty little thing. I got a shock when I saw her giving that interview.

It was never the two daughters on drugs - you should get the facts right before you repeat ****e!
    And wasn't that the interview given after her Dad's death on the documentary? Enough said....

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Holy Mary, Nuala Carey gives single women a bad name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I always thought she looked nice on the Loto Draw but I'm gone off her now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

I wonder will they ever invent a new dance for backing singers!

RTE has a guy who runs through little 'routines' with singers etc. for this kind of thing...possibly why it all looks the same all the time;)

Advertisement