Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nascar 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

amacachi wrote: »
    Aye, it's brilliant when they just creep up the whole race. I particularly like some of the restrictor plate races when he goes from 30th to the top 5 in two laps. It's ridiculous how good they are. It's also funny seeing other cars speeding up and slowing down in the light-night races while Johnson just creeps forward. Didn't work out the other night though. :P

I was impressed with how well Kahne and the number 9 crew worked to with their car in Atlanta. He's a very talented driver and he seems to be getting his head around the car now as well so he could potentially be in the hunt this year. I think that we could have a great year in store with some drivers like Scott Speed, AJ Almedinger and even Paul Menard showing signs that they have a lot more speed this year. Add in Joey Lagano and its pretty clear that there are a lot of cars gaining speed right now.

There are not nearly enough places in the chase!
    As an aside could we rename this thread as just NASCAR 2010 or something seeing as the news has now moved along from getting races televised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

frostie500 wrote: »
    I was impressed with how well Kahne and the number 9 crew worked to with their car in Atlanta. He's a very talented driver and he seems to be getting his head around the car now as well so he could potentially be in the hunt this year. I think that we could have a great year in store with some drivers like Scott Speed, AJ Almedinger and even Paul Menard showing signs that they have a lot more speed this year. Add in Joey Lagano and its pretty clear that there are a lot of cars gaining speed right now.

There are not nearly enough places in the chase!
    As an aside could we rename this thread as just NASCAR 2010 or something seeing as the news has now moved along from getting races televised?

From the start of last year I was waiting for Kahne to get going.
    I'm not sold on Speed yet tbh. Naturally I'd love to see Hornish gain some speed but he's taking his damn time about it. Maybe it's me but he does seem to have some of the worst luck in the field.

Ah the Chase, still can't decide if I like the concept. In a way I suppose it's almost necessary with such a long season to keep it interesting. If they were to add many more places it would devalue the whole concept, and to an extent cheapen the whole season up to that point.

From the start of last year I was waiting for Kahne to get going.
    I'm not sold on Speed yet tbh. Naturally I'd love to see Hornish gain some speed but he's taking his damn time about it. Maybe it's me but he does seem to have some of the worst luck in the field.

Ah the Chase, still can't decide if I like the concept. In a way I suppose it's almost necessary with such a long season to keep it interesting. If they were to add many more places it would devalue the whole concept, and to an extent cheapen the whole season up to that point.

Not really related but Sam Hornish,, AJ Almidinger and Montoya are the main reason that I think Danica Patrick has no chance of being a successful stock car driver. Each of these were exceptionally successful in single seaters especially Hornish and Montoya yet they have struggled to get to grips with a stock car. Patrick seems to be somewhat solid as a driver, clearly no where near the level of this trio and indeed no where the level of Dario Franchitti who struggled in NASCAR, yet when she raced in Nationwide everyone seemed to expect something amazing. These cars are very tough to drive and take a lot of time and experience to master.

I think Hornish showed at the end of last year that he was starting to come good and I hope he can get some solid results this season. I really Speed has shown a lot more promise this year and I wouldnt be suprised if over the next year or two he starts getting to grips with the car and being very competitive

I'm not a fan of the chase myself, I don't see why winning races at the end of the season is more valuable than winning at the start of the year, I said it about Button last year etc. Not sure if you'd know this seeing as you didn't watch NASCAR at the time but the chase was brought in because Matt Kensenth won the title while only winning one race and NASCAR thought it was bad to have a guy finishing constantly in the top 5 five the title. I think consistency like that deserves the title and I'd love to see it back to a 36 race championship...but thats a story for another day! Interestingly though the British Superbikes Championship is being decided in a similar manner this year-but thats because Leon Camier absolutely dominated it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

I think what Edwards did was pretty dumb. Dumb in that he done it at the end of the race(when all eyes were watching) rather than as soon as his car was capable of going back on track. Kasloweski is making a name for himself as being a very selfish driver. I believe he had beef with Denny Hamlin at the end of last year too.

I like the chase idea for a championship. I don't like the idea of there being no road courses in the chase.

Not really related but Sam Hornish,, AJ Almidinger and Montoya are the main reason that I think Danica Patrick has no chance of being a successful stock car driver. Each of these were exceptionally successful in single seaters especially Hornish and Montoya yet they have struggled to get to grips with a stock car. Patrick seems to be somewhat solid as a driver, clearly no where near the level of this trio and indeed no where the level of Dario Franchitti who struggled in NASCAR, yet when she raced in Nationwide everyone seemed to expect something amazing. These cars are very tough to drive and take a lot of time and experience to master.

I think Hornish showed at the end of last year that he was starting to come good and I hope he can get some solid results this season. I really Speed has shown a lot more promise this year and I wouldnt be suprised if over the next year or two he starts getting to grips with the car and being very competitive

I'm not a fan of the chase myself, I don't see why winning races at the end of the season is more valuable than winning at the start of the year, I said it about Button last year etc. Not sure if you'd know this seeing as you didn't watch NASCAR at the time but the chase was brought in because Matt Kensenth won the title while only winning one race and NASCAR thought it was bad to have a guy finishing constantly in the top 5 five the title. I think consistency like that deserves the title and I'd love to see it back to a 36 race championship...but thats a story for another day! Interestingly though the British Superbikes Championship is being decided in a similar manner this year-but thats because Leon Camier absolutely dominated it last year.
    Aye she's not bad, but tbh it'd be nice to see her come down to earth a bit, then in a few year's she might get somewhere.

Just reading his Wikipedia article there I forgot about his coupla top 5 finishes at the end of the season. I'm guessing he didn't bother with the Chase races due to funding reasons? Seems to me he could've missed out on some decent testing time.

I knew why the chase came in, though I would be of the opposite opinion, should go by most wins IMO, same in F1, but that'll never happen.
    tifosi 1 wrote: »
    I think what Edwards did was pretty dumb. Dumb in that he done it at the end of the race(when all eyes were watching) rather than as soon as his car was capable of going back on track. Kasloweski is making a name for himself as being a very selfish driver. I believe he had beef with Denny Hamlin at the end of last year too.

I like the chase idea for a championship. I don't like the idea of there being no road courses in the chase.

Can't remember anything about Hamlin off the top of my head but IMO Keselowski did nothing wrong either time against Edwards.

I can't work out if I want more or less Road course races tbh. They can be really good fun but it almost feels silly at times somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

It only looks silly because the cars aren't really made with the road courses in mind. The chase is made up of very similar tracks (possibly why JJ has dominated in recent times). Adding road courses to the chase would spice it up a bit I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

tifosi 1 wrote: »
    Adding road courses to the chase would spice it up a bit I think.

Yea, I really wish they'd break from the whole 17:1 ratio of ovals to road courses.

There are plenty good tracks out there they could add a race on, like Barber, Mid-Ohio and Laguna; at the expense of some of those tracks that have two races, like Pocono, California and other cookie-cutter tracks.

Or maybe races on the Indy and Daytona road courses :P

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Yea, I really wish they'd break from the whole 17:1 ratio of ovals to road courses.

There are plenty good tracks out there they could add a race on, like Barber, Mid-Ohio and Laguna; at the expense of some of those tracks that have two races, like Pocono, California and other cookie-cutter tracks.

Or maybe races on the Indy and Daytona road courses :P

What do you mean by 'cookie cutter'? Pocano is a fantastic race track unlike anyother in the Sprint Cup. Its a tri oval which is somewhat unusual but more to the point it has different degrees of banking at each turn. The first corner is 14, the tunnel turn is 9 and the last corner is 6, its very tough to set a car up for such variety.

I dont think that there should be a road course in the chase, mainly because each year wild cards come in and win races on them. There should be more variety in the chase though with another superspeedway and another short track. That would be a much better balance for finding a deserving champion in my view

Cookie Cutter = all the similar 1.5 mile tracks with the same layout of turns.

Cookie Cutter = all the similar 1.5 mile tracks with the same layout of turns.

Well if thats the definition California doesnt fit that mould either, its a 2 mile superspeedway

• Advertisement

Well if thats the definition California doesnt fit that mould either, its a 2 mile superspeedway

Aye but there's Texas, Charlotte and Kansas all completely fit the bill and Homestead is as close as one can get to it.

I wasn't really defining Pocono as a cookie-cutter track, but Cali sort of is being so similar to Michigan, and then all the 1.5 miles are practically the same: Charlotte, Kansas, Chicagoland, Vegas, Atlanta, Texas...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I wasn't really defining Pocono as a cookie-cutter track, but Cali sort of is being so similar to Michigan, and then all the 1.5 miles are practically the same: Charlotte, Kansas, Chicagoland, Vegas, Atlanta, Texas...

They might look similar on TV but I can tell you for sure the setups (and in olden days the cars themselves) are very, very different between these tracks. They are the same length, thats about it.

They might look similar on TV but I can tell you for sure the setups (and in olden days the cars themselves) are very, very different between these tracks. They are the same length, thats about it.

Obviously they're not identical but Johnson's record on such 1.5 mile tracks suggests they're perhaps a bit too similar.

Anyway hopefully there'll be a decent race today. Open Access messing up the listings today is annoying, can't just Live Pause the race. Ah well.

Heh, Stone Cold Steve Austin giving the start your engines command. :P

Can't see this race making it full distance. Gonna be one of those afternoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Go JPM!

Hopefully he's just taking easy on his tyres for now. :)

Just heard the ad for KFC's new Double Down sandwich, so much chicken there was no space for a bun. So I had to check it out: http://www.boncherry.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/kfc_double_down.jpg
    Can't decide if I'm disgusted or if I want one. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Guys my open access 3 channel is blank. Is it my sky box?

Really pissed at Martin for not dropping his speed and causing the chain-reaction ruining both Montoya's and Ambrose's days...
    I switched off right after that crash because with both of them out of the picture, there was no other reason really to watch it anymore.

And such enough JJ wins... again... :pac:
    Just heard the ad for KFC's new Double Down sandwich, so much chicken there was no space for a bun. So I had to check it out: http://www.boncherry.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/kfc_double_down.jpg
    Can't decide if I'm disgusted or if I want one. :pac:

So want at least three of those right now :P

• Advertisement

bbability wrote: »
    Guys my open access 3 channel is blank. Is it my sky box?
    Rave finished round half 8, programme was done before 9. Highlights tonight on Sky Sports if ya have it.
    Really pissed at Martin for not dropping his speed and causing the chain-reaction ruining both Montoya's and Ambrose's days...
    I switched off right after that crash because with both of them out of the picture, there was no other reason really to watch it anymore.

And such enough JJ wins... again... :pac:

So want at least three of those right now :P

Aye, pity about that crash. Johnson ridiculously strong at the end of 500 laps.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shakeandbake!

Howya,

New member, just joined today. Was delighted to see a NASCAR thread here, along with MotoGP its my favourite code of motorsport. Enjoyed the race from Thunder Valley last night but jaysus the constant ad breaks would do your head in. As much as i admire and respect JJ's achievements over the last 4 or 5 years i think i'll jump on the "anybody but the #48" campaign! And WTF if goin on with Junior? I mean at this stage surely he's getting to grips with the CoT??....he didn't seem to have much bother with it in the last few laps at Daytona where with another tour he surely woulda got by McMurray...ah well, guess we'll have to wait till Talladega to see him up there again:p. I've being to the Daytona 500 three times, most recently being this year, have a few videos and pics, i'll post them up later this week when i get round to transferring them to my laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Howya,

New member, just joined today. Was delighted to see a NASCAR thread here, along with MotoGP its my favourite code of motorsport. Enjoyed the race from Thunder Valley last night but jaysus the constant ad breaks would do your head in. As much as i admire and respect JJ's achievements over the last 4 or 5 years i think i'll jump on the "anybody but the #48" campaign! And WTF if goin on with Junior? I mean at this stage surely he's getting to grips with the CoT??....he didn't seem to have much bother with it in the last few laps at Daytona where with another tour he surely woulda got by McMurray...ah well, guess we'll have to wait till Talladega to see him up there again:p. I've being to the Daytona 500 three times, most recently being this year, have a few videos and pics, i'll post them up later this week when i get round to transferring them to my laptop.

Welcome aboard.

All pics and videos gratefully received!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shakeandbake!

Qualifying rained off at Martinsville, line up........http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/2010/6/data/lineup.html

We'll be lucky to see any racing today,forecast is pretty poor.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Did anyone catch that guys title? National Minister of Raceways? Either way it was brilliant :D

Did anyone catch that guys title? National Minister of Raceways? Either way it was brilliant :D

Heh, damn yanks. :pac:

Don't think they'll make half distance. Gonna be a messy evening, pretty big storm just hitting St. Petersburg now so the IndyCar could be delayed as well.

Race postponed til tomorrow. :(

Postponed until 17.00(irish time) tomorrow.:(

• Advertisement

Snap! :D:D

Advertisement