Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nascar 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Great news! It'll be interesting to see what their coverage is like. I'm just glad that i can get to see the whole race,the highlights package Sky started showing is ****e tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Open Access 3!?!?!
    What the hell is that about? How could they afford it if Sky and ESPN couldn't? Did NASCAR just put themselves too high for Sky and ESPN and had their bluff called? Very, very odd altogether.

Still, at least now I'll get to make use of the channels I haven't bothered with before. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

WTF? Well that's great news.. but quite bizarre. Seen something similar on a Digital Spy forum but everyone thought this deal was a wind-up

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Boogity Boogity Boogity Let's Go Racing Boys, Channel 190 shall be interesting experience

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v6vdqz59HY

What the hell are Sky Sports doing, yes it's a minority sport, but hours of TV on Sunday nights or Saturday Night/Sunday Morning, surely it helped fill one of the four channels with live sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭tlaavtech

Boogity Boogity Boogity Let's Go Racing Boys, Channel 190 shall be interesting experience

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v6vdqz59HY

What the hell are Sky Sports doing, yes it's a minority sport, but hours of TV on Sunday nights or Saturday Night/Sunday Morning, surely it helped fill one of the four channels with live sports.

Sky had too many live sports on Sunday nights last year as it was, meaning that some of the races were shown on the Red Button. Now they have the rights to US Golf, with that now becoming the main attraction on a Sunday night. Ths cost of the the rights from NASCAR was not the issue - it was the time to show that amount of racing.

Open Access 3 is also Free to Air, so any Sky box or satellite can receive it without subscription. NASCAR is for everyone now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jouno

Nascar is back on uk tv on sky channell 190 open access 3

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

jouno wrote: »
    Nascar is back on uk tv on sky channell 190 open access 3

That's sorta what this thread is all about!:p:p

What a race tonight! Very nearly montoya's first ever oval victory. Highlights are on Sky at 6 tomorrow, really worth a look if you missed it

What a race tonight! Very nearly montoya's first ever oval victory. Highlights are on Sky at 6 tomorrow, really worth a look if you missed it

Great race.
    Edwards cost Montoya the win without a doubt in my mind. Hope there's some major repercussions for Edwards, that kinda **** can't be allowed at those speeds surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

amacachi wrote: »
    Edwards cost Montoya the win without a doubt in my mind. Hope there's some major repercussions for Edwards, that kinda **** can't be allowed at those speeds surely.

I would have to partially agree. Had Edwards not done that Monty would have had a chance with Kurt on the last lap, and obv Brad wouldn't have gone over.

And I think Kurt jumped that last restart...

• Advertisement

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I would have to partially agree. Had Edwards not done that Monty would have had a chance with Kurt on the last lap, and obv Brad wouldn't have gone over.

And I think Kurt jumped that last restart...

I think Montoya would have took it too, it's a shame what happened because I was bracing myself for an incredible finish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I think it was the McMurray shunt that caused the last restart that really cost JPM. He had a great run on Busch and could have made something stick. As it was on the last restart he seemed to get bumped or spun the wheels because he was just left for dead.

As far as Edwards is concerned NASCAR can't say 'Go on boys race as you see fit' and then punish drivers. I think it was disgraceful what Edwards did and there should be no place for actions like that on a racetrack but NASCAR left themselves open to that sort of thing with their openbook policy on racing for 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I had recorded it on Sky+ and the bloody thing stopped recording with 3 laps to go. I was raging because it was shaping up to be a great finish!

frostie500 wrote: »
    I think it was the McMurray shunt that caused the last restart that really cost JPM. He had a great run on Busch and could have made something stick. As it was on the last restart he seemed to get bumped or spun the wheels because he was just left for dead.

As far as Edwards is concerned NASCAR can't say 'Go on boys race as you see fit' and then punish drivers. I think it was disgraceful what Edwards did and there should be no place for actions like that on a racetrack but NASCAR left themselves open to that sort of thing with their openbook policy on racing for 2010
    The (I think) second last restart was brilliant, Bush flying through and Montoya threading the needle, some brilliant driving.

There's race as you see fit, but I'm fairly sure they'll have been told something about not being downright dangerous. Maybe at the next race or the following one on half mile tracks he'd be OK, but not at near 200mph.

The (I think) second last restart was brilliant, Bush flying through and Montoya threading the needle, some brilliant driving.

There's race as you see fit, but I'm fairly sure they'll have been told something about not being downright dangerous. Maybe at the next race or the following one on half mile tracks he'd be OK, but not at near 200mph.

When NASCAR brought in a policy whereby the drivers police themselves it must have entered their minds that retaliation like this might occur. It's very tough to draw a line where it is unacceptable to drive like that at a higher speed. The action is the same, the intention is there. I personally don't think that if the same thing happened at Bristol that it would be anymore acceptable but as I said with the policy in place I cant see any reprimand for Edwards actions

For PS3 owners out there :eek:

When NASCAR brought in a policy whereby the drivers police themselves it must have entered their minds that retaliation like this might occur. It's very tough to draw a line where it is unacceptable to drive like that at a higher speed. The action is the same, the intention is there. I personally don't think that if the same thing happened at Bristol that it would be anymore acceptable but as I said with the policy in place I cant see any reprimand for Edwards actions
    Got a link to that policy? I'd be surprised if the drivers haven't been told not to endanger each other on purpose.
    Maybe not from a sportsmanship perspective would it be any more acceptable at Bristol, but realistically it would be far, far less dangerous.
    For PS3 owners out there :eek:

The game footage is almost all a couple of years old, and I still wouldn't be at all surprised if it's next year before that bastard game is out. It was meant to be out in March this year in Japan with Europe and North America TBA, then they said "Yeah, we're delaying it in Japan, but whatever date we already decided, but haven't told anyone, to release elsewhere is unaffected." They still haven't announced when it'll be released in Japan, apparently hinting it will be some time around Christmas, so does that mean that they had intended to release the game 9 months later in the rest of the world?
    Absolutely sick of Polphony at this stage, there'll probably be another Forza on the way by the time GT5 is actually out. Add to that that I just can't play driving games using a PS3 controller and I'm sickened that they got the NASCAR licence. They also have the IndyCar licence, which is pointless just like the NASCAR one because as far as I can tell there's only two oval tracks, one of which IndyCar don't use, the two road courses NASCAR uses as does the IRL and one other road course used by the IRL. ****ing ridiculous IMO to have the licences for those series and cars and **** all tracks.
    Rant over.

Got a link to that policy? I'd be surprised if the drivers haven't been told not to endanger each other on purpose.
    Maybe not from a sportsmanship perspective would it be any more acceptable at Bristol, but realistically it would be far, far less dangerous.

NASCAR VP of competition Robin Pemberton said back in January:"We will put it back in the hands of the drivers and we will say, 'Boys, have at it, and have a good time.'"

The thing to remember about NASCAR is that they make changes to the regulations to increase viewer numbers and sponsorship dollars. They made this change so that accidents would occur-its the accidents that catch the attention of most casual viewers. Even at the lower speeds of Bristol the cars are still travelling fast and the danger of a car flipping is still quite high, NASCAR can't say one is more dangerous than the other if they are deliberate actions to take another competitor out. I think that what Edwards did was crazy but I also think that if NASCAR is serious about giving the fans what they want to see they can't punish him in light of their statements previously. They would need to take back control of punishments but because they will get huge ratings they won't do that.

NASCAR VP of competition Robin Pemberton said back in January:"We will put it back in the hands of the drivers and we will say, 'Boys, have at it, and have a good time.'"

The thing to remember about NASCAR is that they make changes to the regulations to increase viewer numbers and sponsorship dollars. They made this change so that accidents would occur-its the accidents that catch the attention of most casual viewers. Even at the lower speeds of Bristol the cars are still travelling fast and the danger of a car flipping is still quite high, NASCAR can't say one is more dangerous than the other if they are deliberate actions to take another competitor out. I think that what Edwards did was crazy but I also think that if NASCAR is serious about giving the fans what they want to see they can't punish him in light of their statements previously. They would need to take back control of punishments but because they will get huge ratings they won't do that.

Fair point, but there'll be drivers meetings etc. that we won't be privvy to. Also there's "have at it" in terms of racing, but someone being that many laps down ain't racing.
    I'm fairly sure at anything under 130ish mph the roof flaps would succeed in keeping the cars down.
    I have to admit though that it's pretty alarming that they still haven't worked out what's making the cars take off, commentator said the other night that wind tunnel tests haven't shown the wing to be responsible even though they're getting rid of it for this reason.

Fair point, but there'll be drivers meetings etc. that we won't be privvy to. Also there's "have at it" in terms of racing, but someone being that many laps down ain't racing.
    I'm fairly sure at anything under 130ish mph the roof flaps would succeed in keeping the cars down.
    I have to admit though that it's pretty alarming that they still haven't worked out what's making the cars take off, commentator said the other night that wind tunnel tests haven't shown the wing to be responsible even though they're getting rid of it for this reason.

There are driver meetings and yeah I'd imagine in Bristol it will be spelt out to the drivers not to ram each over off in retaliation but my original point was that NASCAR wont punish Edwards publicly otherwise they lose the favour of its fans.

The wing is being replaced in two races time I think so it will be interesting to see if it makes a difference, I think that there is a lot more fundamental reasoning behind the cars being so prone to becoming airbourne and the 'car of tomorrow' may need an entire overhaul to correct it

• Advertisement

There are driver meetings and yeah I'd imagine in Bristol it will be spelt out to the drivers not to ram each over off in retaliation but my original point was that NASCAR wont punish Edwards publicly otherwise they lose the favour of its fans.

The wing is being replaced in two races time I think so it will be interesting to see if it makes a difference, I think that there is a lot more fundamental reasoning behind the cars being so prone to becoming airbourne and the 'car of tomorrow' may need an entire overhaul to correct it

I'll be annoyed at NASCAR if there's no punishment for Edwards tbh, though I wouldn't put it past them.

The CoT is very disappointing, I only got into NASCAR when it had already started being used. Everytime I see clips from races a couple of years ago I can't believe how much better the old cars looked.
    It is amazing how much of a faff NASCAR managed to make of it.

The game footage is almost all a couple of years old, and I still wouldn't be at all surprised if it's next year before that bastard game is out. It was meant to be out in March this year in Japan with Europe and North America TBA, then they said "Yeah, we're delaying it in Japan, but whatever date we already decided, but haven't told anyone, to release elsewhere is unaffected." They still haven't announced when it'll be released in Japan, apparently hinting it will be some time around Christmas, so does that mean that they had intended to release the game 9 months later in the rest of the world?
    Absolutely sick of Polphony at this stage, there'll probably be another Forza on the way by the time GT5 is actually out. Add to that that I just can't play driving games using a PS3 controller and I'm sickened that they got the NASCAR licence. They also have the IndyCar licence, which is pointless just like the NASCAR one because as far as I can tell there's only two oval tracks, one of which IndyCar don't use, the two road courses NASCAR uses as does the IRL and one other road course used by the IRL. ****ing ridiculous IMO to have the licences for those series and cars and **** all tracks.
    Rant over.

Don't want to go too far off topic but this footage itself is a few days old, obviously the game and news of the NASCAR license is a few years old. Personally I feel your pain, starting to wonder if it'll ever be released but 43 players online at Talladega would be immense

The CoT is very disappointing, I only got into NASCAR when it had already started being used. Everytime I see clips from races a couple of years ago I can't believe how much better the old cars looked.
    It is amazing how much of a faff NASCAR managed to make of it.

They certainly dropped the ball with the CoT. Its an exceptionally nervous car that seems to give very little feeling. Im not a fan of Dale Jr but he's a good example of the cars problems. I think that most of his issue is with the car and its inbuilt faults, with the old car he used to always use the highline really well and was looking like a great driver but once the new car came in noone could stay consistently on the outside because the car would lose grip or feeling and hit the wall unexpectedly. In a series where the cars are equalised etc. NASCAR can make changes to the cars and try and help racing, as you say the races from a few years ago had better looking cars but i also think it also had better racing

Don't want to go too far off topic but this footage itself is a few days old, obviously the game and news of the NASCAR license is a few years old. Personally I feel your pain, starting to wonder if it'll ever be released but 43 players online at Talladega would be immense

I meant the game footage, other than the longer shots it's all taken from the coupla year old trailer as far as I can tell.
    It would be, but if the online is like the Prologue I wouldn't be bothered. There's "only" up to 8 cars in Forza online but I've played loads of games perfectly on it, trying to have a race on GT5P with even 5 cars is an ordeal.
    I'm just making sure not to get my hopes up because there's about a .1% chance it'll be as good as it should've been.

They certainly dropped the ball with the CoT. Its an exceptionally nervous car that seems to give very little feeling. Im not a fan of Dale Jr but he's a good example of the cars problems. I think that most of his issue is with the car and its inbuilt faults, with the old car he used to always use the highline really well and was looking like a great driver but once the new car came in noone could stay consistently on the outside because the car would lose grip or feeling and hit the wall unexpectedly. In a series where the cars are equalised etc. NASCAR can make changes to the cars and try and help racing, as you say the races from a few years ago had better looking cars but i also think it also had better racing

Yeah, tbh over the last couple of years I've been watching I've been wondering what the big deal is about Jr. (other than his daddy) til I checked his record from further back.
    I can't really comment on the racing but even aesthetically the new cars are poor. For some reason they put me in mind of the films Cars everytime I see them. :pac:
    Did Montoya drive in the Sprint Cup before the CoT? Would be interested in how he was in the older cars.

Did Montoya drive in the Sprint Cup before the CoT? Would be interested in how he was in the older cars.

Montoya came into the Sprint Cup in the first season of the CoT so raced some races in the old car. He did well that year and won on a road course but to be honest its very tough to judge a rookie in NASCAR. The expectation for someone-even Montoya-has to be very low because the cars are so different and there is no telemetry so the only way to sort a car out is with good feedback and a good relationship with your chief engineer and I think Montoya had three in the first two years so he never had consistency to build up his relationship.

I think that this is the most underappreciated aspect of NASCAR, where it gets derided for having parity etc. It is also the only series I know of that the analysis is done solely on feedback, I think that would be something I'd love to see in F1 and other series because it would make it a lot easier to go down a blind alley as far as setup is concerned and could lead to good racing

Montoya came into the Sprint Cup in the first season of the CoT so raced some races in the old car. He did well that year and won on a road course but to be honest its very tough to judge a rookie in NASCAR. The expectation for someone-even Montoya-has to be very low because the cars are so different and there is no telemetry so the only way to sort a car out is with good feedback and a good relationship with your chief engineer and I think Montoya had three in the first two years so he never had consistency to build up his relationship.

I think that this is the most underappreciated aspect of NASCAR, where it gets derided for having parity etc. It is also the only series I know of that the analysis is done solely on feedback, I think that would be something I'd love to see in F1 and other series because it would make it a lot easier to go down a blind alley as far as setup is concerned and could lead to good racing

Are there rules against the use of telemetry? :S Jesus it'd be funny to see something like that in F1 alright, Hamilton would be either first or last each season.
    Explains somewhat why/how Johnson and Knaus manage to do so well so often. Amazing how hard the cars are to set up when ya see the difference in pace between some of them even at the end of a race.

Are there rules against the use of telemetry? :S Jesus it'd be funny to see something like that in F1 alright, Hamilton would be either first or last each season.
    Explains somewhat why/how Johnson and Knaus manage to do so well so often. Amazing how hard the cars are to set up when ya see the difference in pace between some of them even at the end of a race.

Yeah they dont use any telemetry, it one thing that I think should be stated if anyone knocks NASCAR. They get the car into the ballpark and then adapt it throughout the race. Johnson and Knaus are amazing at it and it is main reason they are so dominant.

I think the ability of the top crew cheifs and drivers really shines through in some of the 500 or 600 mile races when they start in daylight and ends under the lights, the track changes so much and they have to stay on top of it at all times so that in the last 50 miles they have a car capable of winning.

• Advertisement

Aye, it's brilliant when they just creep up the whole race. I particularly like some of the restrictor plate races when he goes from 30th to the top 5 in two laps. It's ridiculous how good they are. It's also funny seeing other cars speeding up and slowing down in the light-night races while Johnson just creeps forward. Didn't work out the other night though. :P

Sounds about typical for NASCAR, nothin to see, move along.

Advertisement