Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

Just had dinner in JD's in Tramore where I just had what I would think and hope is the dearest tomato in Ireland €2 for 1 sliced tomato

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Merchants need to spruce up their menu (in more ways than one - the thing just looks dull)

I went in, had a quick look, and left. (In fairness there was just too much steak for me...I wanted some more chicken options)

Ended up going to Emilianos where ironically I had the Cannelloni. Delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Merchants need to spruce up their menu (in more ways than one - the thing just looks dull)

I went in, had a quick look, and left. (In fairness there was just too much steak for me...I wanted some more chicken options)

Ended up going to Emilianos where ironically I had the Cannelloni. Delish.
    Sacrilige :eek:

:D

It just seemed to be wall to wall steak!

Suppose that would suit a lot of people alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

seafood acras/fishcakes in Azzuro Dunmore are to die for, big seafood pizza then happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Thursday was my 5th visit to KOLIBA,polish resturant in o connell st,this place is awsome,the pork hock cooked in beer and served on a bed of cabbage with mustard,horseraddish and homemade bread is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

Went to Bodega last night for the first time, absolutely loved it. The food was amazing, I had the steak and it was cooked perfectly. The service, bar one waitress, was excellent. Its a bit small inside but it just appears nice and busy, nice atmosphere in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 twiggle

I had a great meal in Eastenders on the quay last weekend. An early bird dinner for 4 including starters, mains, 3 bottles of house wine and (free) flaming sambuccas came to €81, unbelievable value. The food was enjoyable and the service was great. I'm a student so I'm happy with most places but the food there really was very good. Will definitely go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭nhg

Anyone willing to do a quick list of good places to eat (& types of food served) in town for visitors to Waterford for the Tall Ships at the weekend.

Thanking you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

nhg wrote: »
    Anyone willing to do a quick list of good places to eat (& types of food served) in town for visitors to Waterford for the Tall Ships at the weekend.

Thanking you in advance.

this link might help. Don't know if it is updated regularly. If you go into the Tourist office they might have more information.

http://www.waterfordtourist.com/directory/eating_out/waterford_city/waterford_city_centre/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Deise1977

A group of friends and I went to Merchants on Saturday evening (Tall Ships weekend). To say that we were disappointed was an understatement! Both service and food was way below what would be considered acceptable. To be fair to the waiting staff it was obvious that they had not recieved any training for this type of work. The starters were poorly presented and did not taste good. The main courses we limited in terms of choice and the quality of the food we recieved left a lot to be desired. The only fish dish on the menu was a frozen piece of Cod that resembled Donegal Catch. Considering what we got it was extremely over priced.

I fear for Merchants to be honest. I went in there last week with some friends. We ordered at 5pm. I asked for Chicken Wings as a starter. 5:30 came...no sign of anyone....then.....a waitress arrives and tells me they have no chicken wings...sorry about that. Right...Ok...sure just the main course for me then...no probs. 20 minutes later the mains arrive. We're all sitting there....wondering why we're not eating. Oops...no cutlery.

"Can we have some cutlery please?"

followed by

"Can we have some salt please" "Can we have some vinegar please"

The food is VERY expensive (on the blandest most depressing looking menu I've ever seen - food and design). The service, though polite, is not up to scratch...and the food really doesn't live up to the price.

They seem to have made, what I call a foundary error...in that they have opened without doing the proper research and preparation. Unless they get some operational, and marketing assistance soon, they're going to go under, guaranteed.

Sorry...I forgot to add....When they came along to clean up they sensed a negative vibe from the table and asked was everything okay. I told them my issues, (politely) and that our meals also didn't come as we asked (people got packed burgers when they asked for plain, others got salad when they asked for no salad)

They took €10 off and were very apologetic. I just told them the place was nice and staff were polite but it's the simple, fundamental things that could hurt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Sorry...I forgot to add....When they came along to clean up they sensed a negative vibe from the table and asked was everything okay. I told them my issues, (politely) and that our meals also didn't come as we asked (people got packed burgers when they asked for plain, others got salad when they asked for no salad)

They took €10 off and were very apologetic. I just told them the place was nice and staff were polite but it's the simple, fundamental things that could hurt them.

Well done. Most Irish people would have just smiled back and told them everything was grand - fear of confrontation and all that. Companies need feedback regardless of whether it's positive or negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Boooourns

La Taverna haven't passed on the tax break, booourns!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

seafood acras/fishcakes in Azzuro Dunmore are to die for, big seafood pizza then happy days

Went on Azzuros website just now, advertising dinner for St.Valentines Day :o:o

There is a great chipper in Dunmore East (near the fire station), can't think of the darn name, up a couple of steps if I'm not mistaken, boy their fish and chips with homemade tartare sauce are something to write home about, like the way it comes in the box with your sauce and a wedge of lemon. Yum ! Anyone know the name ?

Edit - sorry I just noticed this is Waterford CITY restaurants - you might let know the name though if you do - thanks, great job on tall ships BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I was talking to a guy in work about Merchants, and he said similar! His table ordered some steaks, ranging from rare to well done, and they all got well done.

I was tempted to go in there to see what replaced Limeleaf(which I loved) but I haven't heard a good word about the place. Bad press could hurt them badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

vicwatson wrote: »
    Went on Azzuros website just now, advertising dinner for St.Valentines Day :o:o

There is a great chipper in Dunmore East (near the fire station), can't think of the darn name, up a couple of steps if I'm not mistaken, boy their fish and chips with homemade tartare sauce are something to write home about, like the way it comes in the box with your sauce and a wedge of lemon. Yum ! Anyone know the name ?

Edit - sorry I just noticed this is Waterford CITY restaurants - you might let know the name though if you do - thanks, great job on tall ships BTW

Id say youre thinking of O'Sheas if I remember right.
    Tasty tasty om nom

• Registered Users Posts: 42 waterford1

Just had dinner in merchants again and same as before it was unreal, was talking to the owner for a good 20 minutes and I happened to say it to him about the bad comments people have said, he explained that they had to let go there former head chef as he wasn't great have a new one in now think he said he used to be in 47 the bistro up until a few weeks ago ! I suppose it's like anything new there going to run into problems along the way once they rectify them they should be ok !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

waterford1 wrote: »
    Just had dinner in merchants again and same as before it was unreal, was talking to the owner for a good 20 minutes and I happened to say it to him about the bad comments people have said, he explained that they had to let go there former head chef as he wasn't great have a new one in now think he said he used to be in 47 the bistro up until a few weeks ago ! I suppose it's like anything new there going to run into problems along the way once they rectify them they should be ok !
    At least they've done something about it. Hopefully the new chef will make a difference.
    I may venture in for an expedition of gastronomic exploration.

• Advertisement

Their problems went further than the chef tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Deise1977

Their problems went further than the chef tbh

Totally agree with you there. Hope too much damage has not been done already but I do fear for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 waterford1

hopefully they will pull through would hate to see another business going under and more people out of jobs !

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

Does anyone have a number for Merchants Bar & Grill??!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Does anyone have a number for Merchants Bar & Grill??!

Searching for it myself and no sign on the internet, Even tried the old limeleaf number but that just rings to a dead tone. If anyone can get the number please.

Cheers

I may have to go down and offer my services to them tomorrow :D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

They had both a landline and a mobile number on their facebook page, but due to two negative comments which appeared on their wall, they deleted the page.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    They had both a landline and a mobile number on their facebook page, but due to two negative comments which appeared on their wall, they deleted the page.

Wow...that's very worrying.

I popped down tonight but it was closed. No menu in the windows....no phone numbers...Is it being run by Brewster?!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

Now that is annoying - I have searched the interweb and no luck with a number!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Guess what I found in one of the kids RTE freebie bags from the tall ships

8ca5b647.jpg

Advertisement