Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Was at this game last night, amazing the amount of idiots that follow Limerick FC.

Scored after one minute, hit the post, had a goal disallowed, shot after shot after shot theses things happen, you cant always be lucky.

Was right behind the goals for both goals, the Salthill goal was an absolute cracker, keeper didnt have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

kilburn wrote: »
    Was at this game last night, amazing the amount of idiots that follow Limerick FC.
    What makes thse fans 'idiots'?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Our Brian

osarusan wrote: »
    Maybe because we have suffered Scullys tatics for the last three years:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Scored after one minute, hit the post, had a goal disallowed, shot after shot after shot theses things happen, you cant always be lucky.

No doubt there are a large number of "idiots" following Limerick FC. But bad luck is not the cause of last night's result, even if it did play a part.

Answer me this - Why would you start with one central striker against a side that you know are going to put ten men behind the ball and deny space between the lines?

Yes, we scored after one minute, but the tempo of our play subsequent to that was lethargic and complacent. Salthill were packing the centre and we didn't move the ball quickly enough to the flanks to stretch them. Garbhan had a couple of good chances in the first half alright from through balls, but apart from that we were dreadfully predictable. In addition, poor old Behan was winning flick ons and holding it up, with noone within an asses roar of him.

I would be starting Brosnan with Behan. Sean is a perfect foil for Denis. Gaffney on the left was excellent. Starting a target man on the right - well only Scully can explain that.

However I must admit, despite wondering how Judge gets overlooked for Hynes, he made some **** up to give away the goal. Dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

the clowns who call themselves ultras, the all knowing jose mourinhos up in the stand, who would win the champions league if they were managing Limerick fc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

the clowns who call themselves ultras, the all knowing jose mourinhos up in the stand, who would win the champions league if they were managing Limerick fc

Dont see anyone calling themselves Ultras? what gave you that impression? I was in the stand for the game and it was fairly quiet, no flags, no singing, nothing, bit of anger after the Salthill goal but is that any surprise considering how bad Limerick were and against a team who are bottom of the league who lost 5-0 at home to Mervue the week before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

15 to 20 youngfellas up in the stand hardly makes the whole rest of the Limerick FC support idiots though surely.

I don't go up to the stand myself but their anger is understandable. They more than most in Jackman last night have put up with bad decisions and lack luster performances at key games every year up and down the country.

A lot of season ticket holders are losing faith in Scully and he has only himself to blame. He consistently has built the team up as the best in the league and that he is aiming for promotion but when push comes to shove he and his management team bottle the big decisions and some of the simple ones also.

The attendance in Jackman Friday was about 550 if I remember correct. Once again that will return back to 350 if we are lucky. Poor decisions by the management are turning people away every time they start to make there way through the gates and costing the club money.

I will still be at every Limerick game I can possibly make but I can fully understand the general fans not wanting to go anymore.

If we don't make promotion this year I would think it is curtains for Scully because the players are there.

What's wrong with criticising a manager who 'managed' his team to throw away a lead at home to the team who are bottom of the table and lost 5-0 at home last week?

And this wasn't fans throwing the toys out of the pram after one bad result in an otherwise successful period under Scully - here's Scully's record against the other promotion candidates over the last two years:

Limerick0-1 Derry
    Limerick 1-3 Cork
    Limerick 1-0 Shelbourne.
    Limerick 0-0 Waterford
    Limerick 1-1 Mons
    Limerick 0-1 Derry
    Limerick 1-3 Cork
    Limerick 0-1 Shelbourne
    Limerick 0-0 Cork
    Limerick 0-3 Shels
    Limerick 0-2 Mons.
    (Bottom three are this season)

Only 1 win, and that was against a Shels side who were a shambles as Dermot Keely's stint as manager was coming to a bleak end.

Scully consistently sets out overly defensive teams in Jackman, and we consistently pay the price for that. There is no doubt in my mind that the squad we have is good enough for automatic promotion, and the fact that we're not in the automatic promotion places is Scully's fault, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭The Bull O'Shea

There are some serious morons in the crowd. There is one large bald gentlman who thinks he is funny by screaming all sorts of racist abuse wtc.. during the matches. Children attend these matches too. I would hate to see soccer in this coutry turn into the same hate filled crap that goes on with our neighbors across the water

There are some serious morons in the crowd. There is one large bald gentlman who thinks he is funny by screaming all sorts of racist abuse wtc..

Where does he stand? and racist abuse at who exactly?

Don't get me wrong, there's a handful I have issues with in the stand but its not due to anything really that serious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I reckon Kilburn's original comment about "idiots" was picked up the wrong way. There are always some troublesome fans/idiots in the group, but that's not the same as saying all Limerick fans are idiots. That's how I read it anyway.

There are some serious morons in the crowd. There is one large bald gentlman who thinks he is funny by screaming all sorts of racist abuse wtc.. during the matches. Children attend these matches too. I would hate to see soccer in this coutry turn into the same hate filled crap that goes on with our neighbors across the water

If it's the guy I'm thinking (your description looks wise matches him) then he has never shouted racist comments while I was there and I stand near him at pretty much every game for the last 5 years and have heard him at matches for the last 7 or 8 years. This lad does shout a little bit of abuse and has a laugh but lots of opposition players, fans and managers around the league know this guy and usually have a bit of banter back with him and a laugh about it afterwards.

If you are talking about the same guy as me then I suggest you take that comment down as it is pretty slanderous about a sound fella who I have never heard make one racist comment towards a player. There is a difference between shouting a bit of abuse at an opposition player to get a reaction out of them to put them off their game (which happens at pretty much every sporting event) and shouting all sorts of racist abuse.

Most the regulars that go to games I'm sure know who I am on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

@Jofspring, I think we're both thinking of the same chap. The dude is an absolute riot - really witty comments. Never heard any remotely racist comments from him.

I'm based in Dublin now so have missed the last few games at home. Gonna jump on the Dart down to Bray on Friday evening for the cup game. Not sure what to expect from the game. A win, or at least a good performance, might set us back on the right track over the rest of the season.

FAI Cup last 16:

Bray Wanderers 0-4 Limerick FC

A good win with a weakened team. Missing up to 11 players that could be considered first team players.

Limericks season is ultimately over but if they have any chance yet then they need to beat Cork next Saturday.

Saturday September 3rd:
    Cork vs Limerick, 5pm, Turners Cross.

Jofspring wrote: »

Limericks season is ultimately over

Ha? Still in with a shout for promotion and in the Fai cup quarters!

Dont worry, after Cork next Sat it probably will. :) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Very winnable draw away to sherrif yc in 1/4 finals ,unless of course there is another shock result ,ahem fix ahem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

End of promotion challange this weekend ??????

C'omn city......

End of promotion challange this weekend ??????

C'omn city......

Very possible.....A win for us will give us serious momentum going into the final few games though and we are right in there. A loss effectively ends the season barring a miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Will be down in Cork today...

So i'll be tweeting from the Limerick game, sorry i missed the last two...

@busyliving_

C'mon Super Blues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

3-3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Felt sorry for the super blues today. They were the only side who looked like they were willing to play football. Cork just too happy to lump the ball from defence to attack imo. They scored 2 good goals but i thought it was a soft penalty I must say.

I really thought we were going to nip it in the last few minutes but it wasn't to be

Iang87 wrote: »
    Felt sorry for the super blues today. They were the only side who looked like they were willing to play football. Cork just too happy to lump the ball from defence to attack imo. They scored 2 good goals but i thought it was a soft penalty I must say.

I really thought we were going to nip it in the last few minutes but it wasn't to be

It was never a penalty in a million years...when the limerick player "made contact" with the Cork player the ball was out of player, therefore a free or penalty can't be given as the ball is dead...

The ref screwed us to the wall last night

Latest update on the FAI cup is that Sheriff YC have been kicked out for fielding an ineligible player when they beat Shelbourne, but Shelbourne haven't been reinstated - thus Limerick get a bye and go straight through to the semi-finals.

There is clear precedent for a losing team being reinstated in this kind of situation and I can only assume Shelbourne will appeal the decision.

We were drawn away to Sheriff originally, but I'd hope that if Shels are allowed back in, there would be another draw to determine home advantage.

Latest update on the FAI cup is that Sheriff YC have been kicked out for fielding an ineligible player when they beat Shelbourne, but Shelbourne haven't been reinstated - thus Limerick get a bye and go straight through to the semi-finals.

There is clear precedent for a losing team being reinstated in this kind of situation and I can only assume Shelbourne will appeal the decision.

We were drawn away to Sheriff originally, but I'd hope that if Shels are allowed back in, there would be another draw to determine home advantage.

Believe I tweeted that on Saturday before the game:D

Shels to appeal today, cant see anything other than them being put back in, in Sherrifs place. So we'll have Shels in the quarters no doubt.

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Shels to appeal today, cant see anything other than them being put back in, in Sherrifs place. So we'll have Shels in the quarters no doubt.

If they do get back in, all that match fixing talk comes back around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

To be fair about it, I can't see why Shels aren't just re-instated, Sherrif played an illegal player and therefore forfeit the game, Shels haven't done anything wrong here and if it were Limerick we'd be appealing the decision too.

FAI once again proving that doing the simple thing is always going to be a problem with them. More handy money for the legal trade either way.

busyliving wrote: »
    If they do get back in, all that match fixing talk comes back around

Maybe the FAI are giving them a chance to cut their losses (or take their winnings as it were) and run, but if Shels dont appeal then it looks suspect all the same.

Bookies have paid out so maybe its put to bed?

europa11 wrote: »
    To be fair about it, I can't see why Shels aren't just re-instated,.

Its the FAI, enough said. :o

• Advertisement

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Maybe the FAI are giving them a chance to cut their losses (or take their winnings as it were) and run, but if Shels dont appeal then it looks suspect all the same.

Bookies have paid out so maybe its put to bed?

Yeah I know, but match fixing seems to have creeped into the Irish game...

I've heard stories from well placed people that there have been other games fixed, but they can't prove it; much the same as the shels sherrif game

Its something the FAI should really want to tackle, and really need to tackle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement